Footjoy Dryjoy Sole Broken/Crumbling

I've been a faithful Dryjoy wearer going back to the metal spike days. The fit is perfect for my foot and they are comfortable and waterproof. I typically pick up a spare pair when they are on sale and save them for a rainy day. This strategy has never failed me until today. Broke out a fresh pair purchased a few years back only to have the sole blow apart and crumble before the round was over. I'm completely flumoxed and dissapointed. I realize that these shoes are not the latest model but still, they shouldn't fall apart like this. I shot Footjoy an email and thew myself on their mercy but not holding out much hope due to the shoes being an older model.

y8fkphx86fzf.jpg

cicmvvlan6c3.jpg

1b2oj7yxwbal.jpg

oig31z1yko6k.jpg

ytkdh9xrih3t.jpg

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Those are definitely from a quite a few years back. My question would be where have you had them stored all this time? The reason I ask, I had a similar pair that had been in my garage for couple of years (subjected to extreme Texas temperature changes). Got them out a few months ago and had similar issues as you have. On the other hand, I have an equally old pair which have been in my closet inside my home and don't have any issues with them.

• Like 1

I had them stored inside, but I bought them from a discount outlet so I don't know the storage history going back to when they were first made. Not sure what the point of my posting this thread is since it's just a my bad situation. Guess just to warn people thinking about buying NOS shoes with plastic parts on them.

Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

• 4 weeks later...

> @Nessism said:

> Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

Going forward in your next pair of shoes after each round take a damp cloth and wipe the shoes down after each round. I also take mine and rinse off the soles under the sink and take a bristle brush to clean off the spikes. This gets rid of the chemicals from the course that can ruin shoes. About twice a year I also put on a coat of mink oil, let sit 15 minutes and wipe off.

• Like 1

> @golfunderpar18 said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

> LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

>

> As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

>

$175 was the price listed on LaRossa's website. When I sent them photos of the shoes in question they quoted $190. Needless to say I'll pass.

Regarding taking care of my shoes, I've been wearing Dryjoys for many years now as mentioned in my original post and have never had any problems. In fact I love the shoes. The tops start to get scuffed up and the waterproof nature of the shoe starts to wear off after a couple of years which I'm fine with. I'll just get another pair.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I got my money back on the shoes from the seller. When I posted previously I mistakenly thought these were the pair I bought a couple years back but in reality, I bought them in January. The seller was reluctant to refund but when I reminded him that he advertised the shoes as being in perfect condition he reconsidered (that plus a paypal case changed his mind). ;)

I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @MattyO1984 said:

> I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

The age issue didn't even strike me as relevant. Live and learn. There are other similar age new old stock pairs on ebay that look beautiful, but I wouldn't touch those with a 10' pole now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Footjoy-Dryjoys-Aquaflex-Mens-Golf-Shoes-53444-NEW-Wh-Brn-9-5M/323767681702?hash=item4b620ec2a6%3Ag%3AF9EAAOSwjwZcCdJ3&LH_ItemCondition=3

whether worn or not -

polyester polyurethane and neoprene degrade with time.

some shoes , new in box, have soles that crumble at the touch.

Hydrolysis is the term.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 2 weeks later...

Found these on the bay. Anyone know how old they are? These predate the Dryjoy Tour's but I don't know how old exactly. Worth a chance? I've got some Icon's but the fit is a little tighter than Dryjoys.

ff8iygwxmesz.png

When Footjoy stopped making the Classic and Classic Tours I bought 5 pair of the Classic Tours (best golf shoe ever made!!! with non-leather soles) because I would would be able to get them refurbished by LaRossa. I'm on my second refurb on a couple of pairs, but the sole that LaRossa is using 'cracks' after only a couple of wearings. They claim that the soles are the same, but they differ in many ways. I am just about to give up and just accept the fact that nothing lasts forever! I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'odd' soles are coming from China and are a cheaper sole thatan the originals and the ones LaRossa used on the first resole!!

Ping G sf Driver 10*
TISI 3 Wood 14*
G-25 Hybrids 17*,20*, 23*
G Irons 5-UW with Steelfibre i80
Ping Ketch Putter, or Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

> @"Cottonseed." said:

> Time to buy some Eccos. FJ doesnt compare.

I had the same thing happen with a nice brown pair of goretex Ecco shoes that were years old, but hadn’t worn but once....because they are brown.

I was told the I was out of luck...unrealistic to ask a company to cover them, you can ask of course, but then you move on.

I once bought a pair of Ecco World Class shoes at an extreme knockdown price. Would never have considered them at the original $450 or whatever it was but for around 100 bucks I figured what the heck, they ought to be nice.

After ten rounds the soles delaminated and came loose from the shoe. I was too embarrassed to even ask Ecco to fix them (plus they were heavy and clunky and not really my kind of shoe anyway). Just chalked it up to a poor purchase decision. Seeing your situation, I wonder if maybe those Eccos had been stored in unsuitable conditions. They were like a 3-year-old model when I bought them but still had the original tags and such on them.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date. It seems that the construction techniques used today only hold up for a short lifetime. The ones constructed out of the most pieces with glue are the most vulnerable. I wouldn't leave too many on the shelf or buy any that are too old.

The old leather construction lasted a long time, but I wear the tops of mine out within a year anyway. The hard part is finding a shoe that fits the foot when they keep changing the lasts used to make them.

Edit: I think they build shoes to meet the requirements of the vast majority of golfers, the ones that ride and play on the weekend. The golfer who walks and plays frequently is not the target market.

> @cxx said:

> I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date.

That policy stinks. So you could buy a new pair of shoes from a golf course pro shop that has slow turnover and they could be out of warranty before you even put them on? How is the purchaser to know when the shoes were made? My guess is if you kept the receipt and argued your case to Nike they would make good on a claim in the name of good PR. If not they would never see a penny of my money again.

> @cxx said:

> I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date. It seems that the construction techniques used today only hold up for a short lifetime. The ones constructed out of the most pieces with glue are the most vulnerable. I wouldn't leave too many on the shelf or buy any that are too old.

>

> The old leather construction lasted a long time, but I wear the tops of mine out within a year anyway. The hard part is finding a shoe that fits the foot when they keep changing the lasts used to make them.

>

> Edit: I think they build shoes to meet the requirements of the vast majority of golfers, the ones that ride and play on the weekend. The golfer who walks and plays frequently is not the target market.

A couple years ago, I bought two pairs of Nike Air golf shoes from Dunhams. A few months later one pair developed a severe leak. (I walk exclusively.) Took back to the store, where the rude lady manager refused to honor any warranty. She parroted company policy, that any shoe with any sign of being worn, is not returnable. I emailed Dunhams main office several times, and was never contacted. Tough luck. Nike's warranty starts in China. My shoes were out of warranty before I bought them. The second pair developed leaks soon after the first pair.

It seems today's golf shoes are meant to be worn on the finest groomed golf courses, while riding a cart. Walkers and cow pasture golfers need not apply.

Beware of Nike and the retailer Dunhams.

> @cristphoto said:

> > @cxx said:

> > I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date.

>

> That policy stinks. So you could buy a new pair of shoes from a golf course pro shop that has slow turnover and they could be out of warranty before you even put them on? How is the purchaser to know when the shoes were made? My guess is if you kept the receipt and argued your case to Nike they would make good on a claim in the name of good PR. If not they would never see a penny of my money again.

>

Nike puts the manufacture date on a label sewn on the tongue inside of the shoe. In my case, I had the receipt, the box, shoes were pristine, and still, tough luck.

Speaking of poor quality, i've bought Callaway shoes for decades. Most gave excellent service, usually waterproof into the second year of heavy wear. The last pair, a Balboa vent, no waterproof warranty whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

I have the identical pair.

I am similar to you I keep a pair by me to slip into when the other pair are drying or out of commission for any reason.  In fact, I have three pairs of DryJoys BNIB plus a pair of Classics with leather soles.

My DryJoys are cracking along the yellow Opti Flex strip.

As a former aerospace design engineer, I regard a depression the depth of half the thickness of the sole and spanning the whole width of the sole in the area of maximum flexure a really dumb idea.  It's an obvious stress raiser.  Including this as part of the design shows intent for it to fail.

In the past FootJoy shoes would last for several seasons or more if looked after.  FootJoy must realise they weren't selling volume, so they downgraded the materials and therefore the quality.  They designed more obsolescence into the product.

I'm also making an appeal to FootJoy on the basis that they are the best and only shoes I've ever used.  We'll see.

How did you fare with them?

I have an identical pair.

I haven't experienced crumbling,(yet), but I am experiencing a cracking/fracturing through the Opti Flex strip on the sole.

As a former aerospace senior design engineer I consider this gimmick claiming to offer flexibility a design faux pas. The actual groove which runs the width of the shoe is if a depth equating to 50% of the thickness of the sole and is in the exact position of maximum flexure.  It stands to reason that even during one round of golf this area will flex hundreds if not thousands of times. This groove is what would be termed as a stress raiser. A critically weakened section that can only result in eventual failure.

It's like a lumberjack sawing half way through a tree, chopping a V, and then expecting the tree to stay erect in a breeze.

I also keep a couple of pairs by me.  I currently have three spare BNIB.  I buy them with the phylosophy that I will always use them eventually so I might as well buy them at good prices.  I am worried now that I've "invested" in a load of crap.

I too intend making overtures to FootJoy.  How did you get on?

• 1 month later...

It's not just the style you are displaying.

I have a couple of pairs of DryJoys that have started falling to bits prematurely.  One pair have only been worn for five lots of 9 holes, (I was loosening them in for full rounds).

The photos show two pairs of shoes.  The tan saddles cracked across the Optiflex after approximately 6 months of non-intensive wear, (I tend to rotate shoes and don't play in the winter).  The second pair, a pair of dark brown croc saddles have been worn five times for nine holes at a time.  They were a little tight so I was trying to run them in gently.  You can see that the clear plastic sections in the insoles have started cracking and splitting. 

I am like many.  I visit other golf clubs and have a wander around the pro shops.  If I see a what looks like a good deal on shoes I get the plastic out.  After all at some point I'm going to wear them, I'm not quitting the game.

But, it seems FootJoy have designed some sort of time expiry into the materials/construction of their shoes, so this philosophy doesn't hold anymore.

I have had my appeals reject twice by the Returns Department at FJ UK now.  I am considering going to Trading Standards, because I think they are being totally unreasonable.

I'm afraid for me, FootJoy have lost their high quality status.  What were the best shoes on the market are nowhere near anymore.

FootJoy DryJoys (4).JPG

FootJoy DryJoys (6).JPG

DryJoy Uppers.JPG

DryJoy Soles.JPG