Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

A device/drill Dan used with me to get me to lay the shaft down in transition to shallow. Just wondered if he employed that with you.

No, he gave me a feel and it worked instantly. Once I had that then we worked on getting my path more from the inside and that is what took me about 2-3 months to own. I think one of the huge benefits of this was that I am greatly aware of my path and face angles. Now I can move them any way I want for shaping.

So a bit of update and information. I have been practicing with my SkyTrak all winter. Folks if you want to get your irons dialed in I cannot say enough about this unit. Shapes and carry distances are just spot on. My irons are worlds better right now than late last year. That said it has had the opposite effect on my driver. I’m hitting big high draws on it and pushes and fades in real life. I finally got that sorted out but had to do a bit of set up and grip adjustment. I will never hit driver on it again. Had 3 birdies my last nine holes today so it’s close. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Frustrating. Shot 80 3 times at magnolia grove. Driver was off and just got into trouble on a few holes each round. Irons were great. Courses were soaked so they played long. Ella played good and we got a good game plan for practice. Wisconsin is finally warming up so hopefully we can play in the next 3-4 weeks. I was hoping for a low 70’s round this trip but just couldn’t get there. Had a blast though and saw a lot of good things in my game that gives me hope for this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like winter is finally dead. Snow came back but is melted and course is back open today!

Before the last snow, I really started working on the bane of my swing which is the cupped left wrist. If I get rid of the cup, the club is inside and swing feels so natural and ball striking is extremely good. What I am about to say could be wrong but it is working so I thought I would share. I have a strong grip which starts my left hand out with a cup. Last year I learned how to flatten it throughout the swing but still struggled occasionally with driver. For the last few weeks I have changed the start of my backswing to flatten it before the club is parallel with the ground. It feels so right and had an immediate positive impact. Swing feels like I don't have to fight it as much and positions feel more natural. Of course then the snow came but I have worked hard rehearsing the move indoors. This was not an issue on my irons which I find weird. The last round I played I had 3 birdies but 3 more that should have been. That's the best iron striking I have ever had by far on my home course. Its close. First tournament is the 27th of this month.

Played 54 holes on saturday on a little tougher links course (73.6/137). It was 30 degrees in the morning and I was worn out from playing/practicing the prior two days. Each round just had a few flaws that costed me a lot more than they should have. Driving was just excellent. Irons to raised greens had a few misses. Course just opened and had some rough spots but it was evident I need to work on my bunker shots. I used to be good with my old steep swing. Putting was good but not great. Short game on these greens was probably my biggest issue. I was exhausted going into the day but shot 84/83/79. The good news is my handicap is trending at 5.7 which is the lowest it has ever been. I am letting my body heal. Got a 2 man 999 on Saturday and both of us feel ready. Weather looks like low 40's and rain but I love that as it will take some people out mentally before it even begins. Just going to focus mostly on short game practice and putting this week.

I have been setting my left wrist in a slightly bowed position as early as I can in the backswing and just love how good it feels. It is really taking the work out of my swing. Feels like a lot fewer compensations and I am able to really just go after it when I know its there at the top.

One thing I forgot to mention. My playing partner suggested using my 19 hybrid for punching out of trees. I practiced this a lot lately and if you have not tried it, a hybrid is just crazy easy to use out of or under trees. I can flight it 2' off the ground and up to 180 yards and move it both ways. I used to use my 4i and was decent with it but never again. I also started using it more out of the sand from fairway bunkers. Just blown away by its versatility.

• 2 weeks later...

First event of the year yesterday. 2 man 999. Hit almost every fairway, irons were ok but putting was atrocious. It got to me mentally. We shot 3 over for the 27 holes but should have been about 6 under just due to horrible putting. Had a few 20'ers and I either left them 6-8 feet short or long. Missed a 3'er and several 5'ers. I have 2 league events and a tournament this week. Tonight is the only time to practice so it will be almost all putting. I three putted the first hole after being aggressive and it just screwed with my head. I love how tournament pressure brings out your flaws. I got a clear idea on things to tidy up.

> @"rich s" said:

> First event of the year yesterday. 2 man 999. Hit almost every fairway, irons were ok but putting was atrocious. It got to me mentally. We shot 3 over for the 27 holes but should have been about 6 under just due to horrible putting. Had a few 20'ers and I either left them 6-8 feet short or long. Missed a 3'er and several 5'ers. I have 2 league events and a tournament this week. Tonight is the only time to practice so it will be almost all putting. I three putted the first hole after being aggressive and it just screwed with my head. I love how tournament pressure brings out your flaws. I got a clear idea on things to tidy up.

I can't resist being a smart*** (all in good fun). Why would you want to waste practice time putting? You should be practicing your ballstriking so you can hit it closer and not even have to worry about putting.

> @oikos1 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > First event of the year yesterday. 2 man 999. Hit almost every fairway, irons were ok but putting was atrocious. It got to me mentally. We shot 3 over for the 27 holes but should have been about 6 under just due to horrible putting. Had a few 20'ers and I either left them 6-8 feet short or long. Missed a 3'er and several 5'ers. I have 2 league events and a tournament this week. Tonight is the only time to practice so it will be almost all putting. I three putted the first hole after being aggressive and it just screwed with my head. I love how tournament pressure brings out your flaws. I got a clear idea on things to tidy up.

>

> I can't resist being a smart*** (all in good fun). Why would you want to waste practice time putting? You should be practicing your ballstriking so you can hit it closer and not even have to worry about putting.

lol, love it :P I have had a few days to process. I went to the practice green this week and could not miss. This showed me that when pressure is applied my putting suffers. My fix is to practice using drills that simulate pressure. Bottom line is that my head moves in these pressure situations. The good news is that my irons are very good since that was what my main focus has been on since last fall. League last night and played very well. Little tournament this friday so fingers crossed.

OP edited. I like this goal. We have had the worst spring ever so I have not been able to log many rounds. When I have played, it has been working on things on the course (playing multiple balls from different yardages etc.) We had our first tournament but it was a partners event so no score entered. The little I did play has taken me from a 6.2 to a 5.7 which is my lowest. I feel right now that if I played 20 rounds I would be in the 4-5 area which is a little disappointing but still great progress from last fall. So here we go, I am going to log the next 20 rounds and keep this up to date as I go. Weather is back in the 40's with rain so this might take a while lol.

> @"rich s" said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > There is no try. Do or do not.

>

> Dude you playing the MTB black too? Man that ball is just amazing. Cuts through the wind like no other ball. Wish it had just a tiny bit more check around the greens but otherwise its perfect. I hope things are going better for you

It’s a great ball. People don’t realize how good. Things are improving as well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Well off to a great start lol. Cold and windy playing with my daughter, best bud and his wife. I shot 84. Body felt horrible and I was just as off as I can be. Trending at 5.9 but now I can tell you that it was the greatest day I have ever had on the golf course as my daughter Ella shot her low 9. I have never been so nervous as we were coming down the last few holes but she just continued to strike the ball. Flubbed a bit on the last hole but ended up with a 53. I had a hard time keeping the tears in. She has worked so hard even though the weather up here has sucked. Truly a memory i will treasure for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

How awesome for Ella! Great to see that hard work paying off.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

At my home course we have 2 leagues. Last night was my fist time in the big league. Lots of very good players but I don't know them personally. I was a bit nervous. We were a threesome behind a foursome. Pace was slow but I hit a great tee shot and then over drew my iron left of the green on 1 but got up and down for par. Big drive on 2 leaked right into some trees, hit a low running hybrid thru them and left me 60 yards but hit a bad pitch and ended with a par. Third hole in the trees off the tee and played the same low hybrid shot and got away with par.

Hit the green on the par 3 fourth and another par. Not bad but it was a grind so far. Quite a bit of wind. Took driver on 5 but I knew it was a mistake. Hit it to the worst area, the green was totally blocked out buy a huge tree. Double bogey. I lost all focus at this point. Have a hard time getting over stuff like that. Shot a 39 on the front.

Back nine the group ahead had us play through. Our third guy was injured and quit after the second hole so the two of us were waiting constantly. Very hard downhill tee shot on 10 with a nice group watching. Hit the perfect shot, cutting the corner and made par. On 11 I leaked my hybrid a touch right and it landed in the rough on an extremely steep hill. Ball normally will run into the fairway but not today. It was way above my feet and up against a mound of dirt and once again, I lost focus. Ended up with a double. "My round is crap" in my head and I have one of my least favorite tee shots on the next hole that I proceed to hit OB. I will save you the gory details but I shot a 45 on the back.

I never got down on myself but I just lacked interest in the round after a few bad holes. I need to fix that. It is also a challenge grinding out a full round after a hard day of work so I need to think about that next thursday. Tons of things to be learned from the experience and the guy I played with sat me down and shared his thoughts with me as well. My mental game is my current weakest area. With the state match play qualifier next week, I need to get this sorted out as best I can. Weather forecast is crap so that will not help. If anyone has some suggestions, I would love to hear them. How do you keep focus with the round is a grind and you are losing traction?

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> Best round at my home course!!!!!!! 73 and lipped a 3’er and a 4’er. So pumped!!!

What is the rating and slope of your course from the tees you played?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @"rich s" said. How do you keep focus with the round is a grind and you are losing traction?

This is a great question and I wish I had a good answer. When I used to play a lot more rounds and got to a much lower cap it seemed like it became easier to mentally quit on a round. Knowing that I only had a few shots to give and then the round would end up in the bottom half of the handicap bucket or the tournament was basically a goner made it really hard to stay focused after a double or a bad start.

I never really got good at this and I would love to get better at it. Basically I was either in the running or 10 shots back, because I just couldn't bring myself to grind once the goal seemed to get out of reach.

I think this is what separates really consistently good players from the rest.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @"rich s" said:

> What a road. I will make it quick, started playing serious a few years ago. My home course is not long but very tight and tough. I started this latest journey at a 9 handicap. Driver Swing speed 99mph according to trackman when fitted at Club Champion in August 2018. I fought an over the top move and played a dead straight to slight fade. Sought to get better so I changed my swing to hit up on the driver more by keeping my head back. It used to come forward and I had a very steep swing. The swing change killed my game for a month or two but I stuck with it and so noticeable improvement. I did everything ok but nothing great. After seeing all the success people have had after getting lessons from Dan Carraher, I signed up for an online lesson. I am looking forward to seeing if I can take my game farther. I play almost daily and practice a lot but live in Wisconsin so no actual golf during winter. Since coming off a swing change I feel like I am more pliable to making changes. My goal is to be competitive in state level events. I am 43 years old, out of shape and anything but flexible. Join me on my journey to hopefully scratch or better. Here was my current swing as of August 2018:

>

>

>

> http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v4C8wy6DOg4

>

>

>

> http://www.youtube....h?v=1Ppul71iP0c

>

>

>

> Before iron distances AP3:

>

> PW-125

>

> 7-155

>

> 4-190

>

>

>

> Edit: Current iron distance as of 11/19:

>

> PW-150

>

> 7-180

>

> 4-220

Beautiful swing!

> @Rohlio said:

> > @"rich s" said. How do you keep focus with the round is a grind and you are losing traction?

>

>

> This is a great question and I wish I had a good answer. When I used to play a lot more rounds and got to a much lower cap it seemed like it became easier to mentally quit on a round. Knowing that I only had a few shots to give and then the round would end up in the bottom half of the handicap bucket or the tournament was basically a goner made it really hard to stay focused after a double or a bad start.

>

> I never really got good at this and I would love to get better at it. Basically I was either in the running or 10 shots back, because I just couldn't bring myself to grind once the goal seemed to get out of reach.

>

> I think this is what separates really consistently good players from the rest.

>

>

Yup, that exactly how I feel. After putting some thought into it I am going to challenge myself to see how low I can go after the wheels fall off. Start fresh, zero my score in my mind and shoot low. Hope it helps

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > What a road. I will make it quick, started playing serious a few years ago. My home course is not long but very tight and tough. I started this latest journey at a 9 handicap. Driver Swing speed 99mph according to trackman when fitted at Club Champion in August 2018. I fought an over the top move and played a dead straight to slight fade. Sought to get better so I changed my swing to hit up on the driver more by keeping my head back. It used to come forward and I had a very steep swing. The swing change killed my game for a month or two but I stuck with it and so noticeable improvement. I did everything ok but nothing great. After seeing all the success people have had after getting lessons from Dan Carraher, I signed up for an online lesson. I am looking forward to seeing if I can take my game farther. I play almost daily and practice a lot but live in Wisconsin so no actual golf during winter. Since coming off a swing change I feel like I am more pliable to making changes. My goal is to be competitive in state level events. I am 43 years old, out of shape and anything but flexible. Join me on my journey to hopefully scratch or better. Here was my current swing as of August 2018:

> >

> >

> >

> > http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v4C8wy6DOg4

> >

> >

> >

> > http://www.youtube....h?v=1Ppul71iP0c

> >

> >

> >

> > Before iron distances AP3:

> >

> > PW-125

> >

> > 7-155

> >

> > 4-190

> >

> >

> >

> > Edit: Current iron distance as of 11/19:

> >

> > PW-150

> >

> > 7-180

> >

> > 4-220

>

> Beautiful swing!

Thanks! I don’t think anyone has ever said that to me :P it’s not the prettiest but it’s pretty consistent

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won