What was the issue with Hale Irwin? (Tour history)

Hankshank

Don’t know why, but I found myself googling Hale Irwin, found his Wiki page and was surprised seeing how much he won on Seniors, and comparingly how few titles he had on the PGA. Was there something wrong when he was in his prime?

For Langer, the other player that has dominated the Seniors tour but didnt have 30+ victories on the PGA tour the answer is easy. Putting yips. Those costed him at least 10 big titles. Otherwise, his game was razor sharp. And then he found the broomstick and the rest is history.

Irwin is a little before my time. Ok, I played most of the 80’s but there wasnt any televised golf, more than an occasional major, in my home country. Articles, but mostly about the big names. I remember seeing his last victory at 49, after a long break, assuring that there is such a thing as muscle memory. But apart from a sloppy putt miss that costed him a BO in 84, i have no memory of him in his prime.

Looking at his winning record he absolutely ruled the Seniors tour, even more profoundly than Langer. But, albeit 3 US Opens, he had surprisingly few wins on the PGA tour. I remember him from the 80`s as something like a Furyk, OWGR top 10 guy maybe, but never one of the Big Three or the Big Five.

Why did he win so much more on the seniors? Did he have any issues with his game that he sorted out late in his career?

He was known as a constant complainer by his peers. He was probaly the greatest fairway player in history and always took a thin divot with those clubs.

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

yeah, i don't know how 20 wins = "few wins" ... 23rd highest total, by number ... 3 majors ... one of the oldest people to win a tour event at 49 ...

i'd say he did very well for himself ...

as for the sr tour, didn't play against his top competition from the regular tour, as mentioned ... but he was a very competitive player who maintained his body/health, so maybe that helped him a bit more than others ...

Hale Irwin was not a long hitter, more of a controlled tactician in the way he'd pick apart a golf course, and one of the best "grinders" of all time. When he turned 50, the shorter overall yardages on the Senior (Champions) Tour suited him. Like Langer, Hale remained in excellent physical condition well into his 60s and took full advantage of it.

• Like 4

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> One of the best ever. He came along when Nicklaus and Trevino were still good, Miller and Weiskopf. Watson getting going, etc. Then Seve and Norman winning majors. Faldo.

>

> Great career.

>

> Built like a defensive back!!

Good one "Built like a defensive back!!"....for you kids out there, Hale did actually play DB in college. I think it was for Colorado? But he was really built like a shortstop. Or a golfer.

• Like 2

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Hale Irwin and the great Dick Anderson of the Miami Dolphins were the starting safeties for Colorado in the mid 60’s.

3 majors and 20 plus wins is a quite a tour career, he may have been understated because he was rather bland and blunt in play and personality ... always loved his quote about never drawing the ball “ I try to draw it and I just slice it more ... so I just keep slicing it”

• Like 2

> @"Big Cat 3" said:

> Hale Irwin and the great **** Anderson of the Miami Dolphins were the starting safeties for Colorado in the mid 60’s.

> 3 majors and 20 plus wins is a quite a tour career, he may have been understated because he was rather bland and blunt in play and personality ... always loved his quote about never drawing the ball “ I try to draw it and I just slice it more ... so I just keep slicing it”

Lol at the censor police!!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

Hale was one of the shorter players on tour. Was a 247 to 258 guy, if I remember correctly. Was usually near the bottom in driving distance. In fact, three of the best players from the 70's and early 80's were short/shortish hitters: Strange, Pavin, and Irwin. In 1980 (first year the stat was available), Irwin averaged 250.2, good for 138th on the tour in driving distance. He was 35(?) at the time. Strange was 98th that year.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Hankshank said:

> Having, as the European I am, only a rudimentary knowledge of American football, it surprises me that he was short from tee, hearing that he played college football. When I see an occasional match, I see guys that look like being able to hit the ball cross-atlantic.

He played defensive back, those are among the smallest men out on the field.

Hale Irwin is perhaps the best long iron player ever. As mentioned he was very straight off the tee, won the US Open three times, won at Harbour Town three times, won The Memorial twice and he also won at Butler National, Westchester and the Crosby. If it was a tough course, you'd see him near the top of the leaderboard.

Another fun fact, with wins in the USA, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, the World Match Play at Wentworth and the Australian PGA he is one of just five golfers with wins on all six continents.

• Like 1

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @Hankshank said:

> > Having, as the European I am, only a rudimentary knowledge of American football, it surprises me that he was short from tee, hearing that he played college football. When I see an occasional match, I see guys that look like being able to hit the ball cross-atlantic.

>

> He played defensive back, those are among the smallest men out on the field.

>

> Hale Irwin is perhaps the best long iron player ever. As mentioned he was very straight off the tee, won the US Open three times, won at Harbour Town three times, won The Memorial twice and he also won at Butler National, Westchester and the Crosby. If it was a tough course, you'd see him near the top of the leaderboard.

>

> Another fun fact, with wins in the USA, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, the World Match Play at Wentworth and the Australian PGA he is one of just five golfers with wins on all six continents.

>

>

Long irons? Almost all historians will say Miller, Nicklaus and Hogan

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Obee said:

> Hale was one of the shorter players on tour. Was a 247 to 258 guy, if I remember correctly. Was usually near the bottom in driving distance. **In fact, three of the best players from the 70's and early 80's were short/shortish hitters:** Strange, Pavin, and Irwin. In 1980 (first year the stat was available), Irwin averaged 250.2, good for 138th on the tour in driving distance. He was 35(?) at the time. Strange was 98th that year.

IF that isn't a great argument for rolling back the ball and the driver, I don't know what it.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Man his shot out of the rocks on 18 at Pebble broke a poor Canadian's heart

EvnRoll ER9

Like Bruce Leitzke he grooved a slight OTT move and was deadly accurate

Ideal for the older style US Open set ups

• Like 3

EvnRoll ER9

> @"Darth Putter" said:

If it was a tough course, you'd see him near the top of the leaderboard.

>

Agreed. Winged Foot in '74.

Hale Irwin was a great player. Even with the glasses, he came across as someone who you didn't want to mess with. Same level as Raymond Floyd, in terms of grit and toughness, IMO.

• Like 1

> @ExTrumpet said:

> > @"Big Cat 3" said:

> > Hale Irwin and the great **** Anderson of the Miami Dolphins were the starting safeties for Colorado in the mid 60’s.

> > 3 majors and 20 plus wins is a quite a tour career, he may have been understated because he was rather bland and blunt in play and personality ... always loved his quote about never drawing the ball “ I try to draw it and I just slice it more ... so I just keep slicing it”

>

> Lol at the censor police!!

LOL yep these days on here he has to be refereed to as Richard Anderson just like there is now Richard's Sporting Goods or DSG as far as the censor police on WRX are concerned

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @Obee said:

> Hale was one of the shorter players on tour. Was a 247 to 258 guy, if I remember correctly. Was usually near the bottom in driving distance. In fact, three of the best players from the 70's and early 80's were short/shortish hitters: Strange, Pavin, and Irwin. In 1980 (first year the stat was available), Irwin averaged 250.2, good for 138th on the tour in driving distance. He was 35(?) at the time. Strange was 98th that year.

Yep and all 3 of them were exceptional ball strikers too--- And Pavin was deadly with that old Bulls eye putter still is at times on the Champion's tour

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @MountainGoat said:

> His contemporaries who dominated the regular tour don't play the senior tour. I'm thinking of Norman, Faldo and Strange, but there are others, as well.

>

None of these guys are contemporaries of Irwin, he is ten years their senior. More like Nicklaus, Watson, Miller...

Turned pro in 1968

First win in 1971

Third US Open in 1990 at age 45.

Last Tour victory in 1994 at age 49.

Pretty good career. The '90 open was memorable. A colleague and I used to make bets on the majors. I think we would pick 5 names to start and after the first round you could drop one and pick one up. I picked Irwin. We both had a laff on Friday but I was the only one laughing on Sunday.

Who can forget his high-five victory lap after making 60' birdie to tie for the playoff:

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI "https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI")

> @tiderider said:

> yeah, i don't know how 20 wins = "few wins" ... 23rd highest total, by number ... 3 majors ... one of the oldest people to win a tour event at 49 ...

> i'd say he did very well for himself ...

>

> as for the sr tour, didn't play against his top competition from the regular tour, as mentioned ... but he was a very competitive player who maintained his body/health, so maybe that helped him a bit more than others ...

He's 34th on the win list. Hmm, "by number" do you mean five guys tied counts as just one ahead of him??

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @cardoustie said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @Hankshank said:

> > > Having, as the European I am, only a rudimentary knowledge of American football, it surprises me that he was short from tee, hearing that he played college football. When I see an occasional match, I see guys that look like being able to hit the ball cross-atlantic.

> >

> > He played defensive back, those are among the smallest men out on the field.

> >

> > Hale Irwin is perhaps the best long iron player ever. As mentioned he was very straight off the tee, won the US Open three times, won at Harbour Town three times, won The Memorial twice and he also won at Butler National, Westchester and the Crosby. If it was a tough course, you'd see him near the top of the leaderboard.

> >

> > Another fun fact, with wins in the USA, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, the World Match Play at Wentworth and the Australian PGA he is one of just five golfers with wins on all six continents.

> >

> >

> Long irons? Almost all historians will say Miller, Nicklaus and Hogan

>

Irwin was tremendous with fairway woods

• Like 1

> @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> If it was a tough course, you'd see him near the top of the leaderboard.

>

> >

> Agreed. Winged Foot in '74.

>

> Hale Irwin was a great player. Even with the glasses, he came across as someone who you didn't want to mess with. Same level as Raymond Floyd, in terms of grit and toughness, IMO.

>

>

>

Irwin wasn’t know for his warmth ... Mark O’Meara tells that great story when he was a rookie and paired with Irwin. O’Meara wasn’t playing well and walked up to Irwin on the final hole and said “Mr. Irwin, sorry I played so poorly” Irwin gave him a glare and said “ The sooner you figure out I dont give a f*** about how you played, the better off you will be”

There you have Hale Irwin lol

• Like 3

> @teejaywhy said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > His contemporaries who dominated the regular tour don't play the senior tour. I'm thinking of Norman, Faldo and Strange, but there are others, as well.

> >

>

> None of these guys are contemporaries of Irwin, he is ten years their senior. More like Nicklaus, Watson, Miller...

> Turned pro in 1968

> First win in 1971

> Third US Open in 1990 at age 45.

> Last Tour victory in 1994 at age 49.

> Pretty good career. The '90 open was memorable. A colleague and I used to make bets on the majors. I think we would pick 5 names to start and after the first round you could drop one and pick one up. I picked Irwin. We both had a laff on Friday but I was the only one laughing on Sunday.

>

> Who can forget his high-five victory lap after making 60' birdie to tie for the playoff:

> [https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI "https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1yRrJO6NI")

>

>

Point taken. He’s older than I remembered.