New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

I wrote a lengthy review from my visit at the Kingdom 6 months ago on the golf ball but wanted to report back after playing a few rounds outside finally. I played the 2017 TP5 because I loved the short game spin and the soft feel of the ball. While at the Kingdom with the driver I was seeing 8-10 yards more in distance with the 2019 TP5X. The fitter said I had to give it more of a chance and test the 2019 ball as it will spin a touch more around the green than the previous TP5X. I've played 4-5 rounds so far and all have been in 15mph+ wind and the TP5X has been much better in the wind and has gone further than the 2019 TP5. The TP5X performance in cross winds is something I've never seen it's so good. With it being early in the season the greens are still a bit shaggy but I haven't noticed the short game spin struggles I had with the 2017 ball. It definitely doesn't spin as much as the TP5 but I was getting the response I wanted out of the golf ball. Hopefully it's calm here soon so I can get a good measure on distance without wind but I'd say the TP5X has been about a half club longer for me. So far loving the TP5X and will be playing that ball over the TP5 for the foreseeable future. Could change middle of summer with very firm greens but I'll report back periodically with more updates.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

That's not exactly true. For the driver...At the higher swing speed, the TP5x was lower spinning by over 100rpms but was 2 yards shorter.....at the middle swing speed, the same held true...slower swing speed...same.....so its a mixed bag..... with the 7 iron the X was lower spinning and longer all through the swing speeds..... the numbers are so close, it really doesn't make a difference....but with the wedge test the TP5 spins 400rpms more on average so it may hold the greens better......but it seems these two balls are very similar to one another outside of "feel", which we all know the TP5 is lower compression so it feels softer> @Xdmike20 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > How did the TM balls not fair well when the TP5 and TP5x were ranked in the very good category of the test?

>

> I am not saying that they didn't fair well. I was just pointing out that according to TM, the 5x is supposed to be the lower spinning, longer ball but the test showed the opposite. I was about to buy some of the 5x balls but I may now continue to stick with my prov1x balls. According to the tests, it seems like it is the better ball for my game

when you look at the data for both X balls, they are almost identical to one another through 3 different swing categories....the ONLY significant difference was a 4 1/2 yard (13.35 feet) difference in length in favor of the prov1x...all other numbers are too small for a golfer to notice on the course. 4 yards can be a lot in certain situations, so I understand the love for the titleist. Great great ball > @Xdmike20 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > How did the TM balls not fair well when the TP5 and TP5x were ranked in the very good category of the test?

>

> I am not saying that they didn't fair well. I was just pointing out that according to TM, the 5x is supposed to be the lower spinning, longer ball but the test showed the opposite. I was about to buy some of the 5x balls but I may now continue to stick with my prov1x balls. According to the tests, it seems like it is the better ball for my game

> @tsecor said:

> just curious......do the new boxes of TP5's and 5X's come with a sleeve of #5 balls? I just received a dzn and I have 1,2,3 and 5's in the box....no 4's

Yup, that’s how TM rolls!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe some somebody can help me out? I am a 7 handicap. I tend to generate a lot of spin with the driver and long irons but not enough spin in the short game. I would usually go for a ball like the TP5x because it is probably lower spin off the driver and gives a bit more distance. But then I still don't have enough check in the short game. Anybody know of the TP5 is a better option. I realize I would get more spin in the short game but does it generate too much spin off the tee for somebody that already struggles with driver spin?

> @Brewcrew_31 said:

> So maybe some somebody can help me out? I am a 7 handicap. I tend to generate a lot of spin with the driver and long irons but not enough spin in the short game. I would usually go for a ball like the TP5x because it is probably lower spin off the driver and gives a bit more distance. But then I still don't have enough check in the short game. Anybody know of the TP5 is a better option. I realize I would get more spin in the short game but does it generate too much spin off the tee for somebody that already struggles with driver spin?

yes, go X

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else noticing the TP5x to have really bad durability out of the sand?

I absolutely love the playing characteristics of the TP5x (great length and greenside spin for me), but almost every bunker shot seems to result in gash/tearing of the cover that makes the ball completely unplayable. Given that I play a course with a several short par 5s with pronounced bunkering around the green, I'm chewing through these balls like crazy.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

mine have been great. Hit a tree the other day and you couldn't tell at all. Big improvement over last model> @bazinky said:

> Is anyone else noticing the TP5x to have really bad durability out of the sand?

> I absolutely love the playing characteristics of the TP5x (great length and greenside spin for me), but almost every bunker shot seems to result in gash/tearing of the cover that makes the ball completely unplayable. Given that I play a course with a several short par 5s with pronounced bunkering around the green, I'm chewing through these balls like crazy.

> @tsecor said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > I finally got a chance to try the new balls. They're great, high flying , low spinning but soft around the greens. I'll buy a box

>

> I have a brand new box of TP5X balls.....and TP5...wanna trade something? You have any BX/BXS or prov1x?

Thank you, I traded at my club. FORE !!

Bought a box each of the B XS, B RX, New Z Star, and the new TP5. I’ve been mostly playing the 330RX the past few seasons and loved it, also played the 2017 TP5 and enjoyed it. But the new B RX just doesn’t feel right to me. Have enjoyed the B XS for the most part but didn’t really wow me, but I really enjoyed the all around performance and feel of the Z Star.

But I finally got the TP5 out for a charity scramble this weekend and all I can say is WOW. Feels incredible to me off all the clubs, launches and flies like a distance ball off the long clubs, and has just the right amount of approach and greenside spin for my game.

It’s gonna seem weird for a while after being a Bridgestone guy for a long time, but think I’m gonna sell what I have and stick with the TP5 this year.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Played my best 9 of the season tonight with the TP5. Love every single thing about this ball except I wouldn’t mind a slightly higher launch. Just wants to go straight, flies the expected distance off crisp iron shots, feels great, defies the wind, is durable, and spins just enough around the green.

Obviously the TP5x might give me that extra launch but probably at the expense of the feel that I like so much about the TP5. Will probably give them a shot though.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Was able to do a pretty extensive ball fitting the other day and chose to hit TP5, TP5x, ProV1 and ProV1x. Now I understand everything is specific to my swing (6 handicap) but the first big takeway was that the Taylormade balls created a lot more ball speed than the Titleist line. I hit 56 degree, 6 iron and driver for each ball and lost 2 to 3 mph with the Titleist balls. The ProV didn't give me any advantages over the TP line.

Between TP5 and TP5x, the wedge numbers ended up pretty similar. Spin was up with the TP5 but launch was lower so the carry numbers were almost exactly the same. I hit the TP5x a bit farther with the 6 iron mostly because of reduced spin. Again, it launched higher than the TP5. I was surprised with the driver differences though. I hit the TP5x about 10 yard farther than the TP5. The spin numbers did go up quite a bit off the tee with the TP5.

TP5x was the ball for me. I was concerned I wasn't getting enough short iron spin but because it launches higher, the numbers were similar. There was a bigger difference with the driver than what I expected too.

• Like 1

It KILLS me to type this... and I'll try to make this as short as possible.

**Anything** that says Taylormade on it get about 5 seconds of consideration. Doesn't even matter if it might be better. I don't like TM. I guess just like a Chevy guy doesn't like Ford. (you get the idea)

I have been a ball snob from day 1. Always had to have what was perceived as the best ball.

I have always done some testing along the way but have always settled on a Titleist Golf ball.

I remember when they did away with the Balata Titleist. Remember when I almost cried when the Professional was replaced by the ProV. Yes, I have a history with Titleist golf balls.

While experimenting briefly along the way each year I have remained faithful to the T ball all the while convinced it was the best ball and the best ball for me. As of yesterday after trying very hard not to admit/believe there might be a better ball for me I have conceded that there is.

I have officially switched to the new TM TP5. The only thing that could change that is if the X ends up working better but generally speaking, the X version of the different brands has not been the better ball.

Everything about this ball is superior in every way when compared to all the other major OEM's. What I didn't think any ball could do is knock a couple of strokes off the score card but I have proven it to myself repeatedly over the last couple of months by continually, consistently shooting better scores. Never thought I'd say a ball would/could make a difference of a couple shots per round but the consistency I get has made it so.

Still in denial and disbelief but the TP5 is my new Golf Ball.

> @idrive said:

> It KILLS me to type this... and I'll try to make this as short as possible.

>

> **Anything** that says Taylormade on it get about 5 seconds of consideration. Doesn't even matter if it might be better. I don't like TM. I guess just like a Chevy guy doesn't like Ford. (you get the idea)

>

> I have been a ball snob from day 1. Always had to have what was perceived as the best ball.

> I have always done some testing along the way but have always settled on a Titleist Golf ball.

> I remember when they did away with the Balata Titleist. Remember when I almost cried when the Professional was replaced by the ProV. Yes, I have a history with Titleist golf balls.

>

> While experimenting briefly along the way each year I have remained faithful to the T ball all the while convinced it was the best ball and the best ball for me. As of yesterday after trying very hard not to admit/believe there might be a better ball for me I have conceded that there is.

>

> I have officially switched to the new TM TP5. The only thing that could change that is if the X ends up working better but generally speaking, the X version of the different brands has not been the better ball.

>

> Everything about this ball is superior in every way when compared to all the other major OEM's. What I didn't think any ball could do is knock a couple of strokes off the score card but I have proven it to myself repeatedly over the last couple of months by continually, consistently shooting better scores. Never thought I'd say a ball would/could make a difference of a couple shots per round but the consistency I get has made it so.

>

> Still in denial and disbelief but the TP5 is my new Golf Ball.

>

>

>

>

I needed to take two drinks while reading this. It’s a good ball. Titleist makes a good ball as well. Welcome to the dark side. We have candy and balls with pixels on them.

• Like 1

> @Brewcrew_31 said:

> Was able to do a pretty extensive ball fitting the other day and chose to hit TP5, TP5x, ProV1 and ProV1x. Now I understand everything is specific to my swing (6 handicap) but the first big takeway was that the Taylormade balls created a lot more ball speed than the Titleist line. I hit 56 degree, 6 iron and driver for each ball and lost 2 to 3 mph with the Titleist balls. The ProV didn't give me any advantages over the TP line.

>

> Between TP5 and TP5x, the wedge numbers ended up pretty similar. Spin was up with the TP5 but launch was lower so the carry numbers were almost exactly the same. I hit the TP5x a bit farther with the 6 iron mostly because of reduced spin. Again, it launched higher than the TP5. I was surprised with the driver differences though. I hit the TP5x about 10 yard farther than the TP5. The spin numbers did go up quite a bit off the tee with the TP5.

>

> TP5x was the ball for me. I was concerned I wasn't getting enough short iron spin but because it launches higher, the numbers were similar. There was a bigger difference with the driver than what I expected too.

Both balls are really straight. For me, with an SZ driver, the extra height from the X was great