G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolf

> @Steelhead said:

> Played my first round with the G410s B)

> PING nails the G line every time for me. Feel harsh? Ummm, NO!....Temp- 91° , 160yds out, Prov-1X, 7 iron after 7 iron painting the flag all day. 4 iron from 190? Easy as a nice pass with a 7. First round in the 70s in awhile.

> Due to a couple of surgeries, my bag has gone from G700/Graphite, M6/steel, Rouge/steel and now G410/AWT. The progression was due to me getting healthier. 700s were actually fine but do not like the sound or graphite shafts. M6 or Rouge X. Awesome distance and feel but could not hold a green from any distance.

> Enter 410s. All is well for now and they have a solid/almost-soft feel when flushed. Trajectory nice and high, slightly lower than my 700s but stick every bit as good. Ball marks either spin back a bit and at worst a foot or so forward. Love. Why do I ever leave Gs of any model?

This is great to hear!

> @JMH1220 said:

> > @Steelhead said:

> > Played my first round with the G410s B)

> > PING nails the G line every time for me. Feel harsh? Ummm, NO!....Temp- 91° , 160yds out, Prov-1X, 7 iron after 7 iron painting the flag all day. 4 iron from 190? Easy as a nice pass with a 7. First round in the 70s in awhile.

> > Due to a couple of surgeries, my bag has gone from G700/Graphite, M6/steel, Rouge/steel and now G410/AWT. The progression was due to me getting healthier. 700s were actually fine but do not like the sound or graphite shafts. M6 or Rouge X. Awesome distance and feel but could not hold a green from any distance.

> > Enter 410s. All is well for now and they have a solid/almost-soft feel when flushed. Trajectory nice and high, slightly lower than my 700s but stick every bit as good. Ball marks either spin back a bit and at worst a foot or so forward. Love. Why do I ever leave Gs of any model?

>

> This is great to hear!

It was comforting to say the least.

Anybody doing power specs or are all sticking with standard?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Some of the comments I read earlier suggested that the Powerspec lofts would increase the offset. Is that true? I was considering the G410s in Powerspec because the lofts would fit better between my hybrids and wedges. I'm currently playing i20s and I'm not the ball striker I used to be and was hoping the G410s would help with more consistent contact. I do know they are a full club stronger than the i20s but I'm looking for more consistent contact rather than more distance. Also seems to be a variety of opinions on feel. Does anyone familiar with the i20 think the G410s are noticeably harsher? I might expect some considering they are more game improvement and probably have a thinner face. Thanks

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> Our local driving range had a vendor day last Wednesday. Every major manufacturer had a tent. It was terrific. I wound up purchasing the Ping i210 irons with Dynamic Gold shafts and a Taylor Made M5 driver with the 60g Tensei shaft. I got a 20% discount on the driver with their demo-day promotion.

And how this relates to G410 irons?

> @flounder said:

> Some of the comments I read earlier suggested that the Powerspec lofts would increase the offset. Is that true? I was considering the G410s in Powerspec because the lofts would fit better between my hybrids and wedges. I'm currently playing i20s and I'm not the ball striker I used to be and was hoping the G410s would help with more consistent contact. I do know they are a full club stronger than the i20s but I'm looking for more consistent contact rather than more distance. Also seems to be a variety of opinions on feel. Does anyone familiar with the i20 think the G410s are noticeably harsher? I might expect some considering they are more game improvement and probably have a thinner face. Thanks

I believe any time you strengthen the iron loft the offset increases.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

> @Steelhead said:

> Played my first round with the G410s B)

> PING nails the G line every time for me. Feel harsh? Ummm, NO!....Temp- 91° , 160yds out, Prov-1X, 7 iron after 7 iron painting the flag all day. 4 iron from 190? Easy as a nice pass with a 7. First round in the 70s in awhile.

> Due to a couple of surgeries, my bag has gone from G700/Graphite, M6/steel, Rouge/steel and now G410/AWT. The progression was due to me getting healthier. 700s were actually fine but do not like the sound or graphite shafts. M6 or Rouge X. Awesome distance and feel but could not hold a green from any distance.

> Enter 410s. All is well for now and they have a solid/almost-soft feel when flushed. Trajectory nice and high, slightly lower than my 700s but stick every bit as good. Ball marks either spin back a bit and at worst a foot or so forward. Love. Why do I ever leave Gs of any model?

Regular or Stiff flex in the AWT?

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Steelhead said:

> > Played my first round with the G410s B)

> > PING nails the G line every time for me. Feel harsh? Ummm, NO!....Temp- 91° , 160yds out, Prov-1X, 7 iron after 7 iron painting the flag all day. 4 iron from 190? Easy as a nice pass with a 7. First round in the 70s in awhile.

> > Due to a couple of surgeries, my bag has gone from G700/Graphite, M6/steel, Rouge/steel and now G410/AWT. The progression was due to me getting healthier. 700s were actually fine but do not like the sound or graphite shafts. M6 or Rouge X. Awesome distance and feel but could not hold a green from any distance.

> > Enter 410s. All is well for now and they have a solid/almost-soft feel when flushed. Trajectory nice and high, slightly lower than my 700s but stick every bit as good. Ball marks either spin back a bit and at worst a foot or so forward. Love. Why do I ever leave Gs of any model?

>

> Regular or Stiff flex in the AWT?

Regular AWT.

Any gapping issues with the 410? Hot spots, etc... ?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @Steelhead said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Steelhead said:

> > > Played my first round with the G410s B)

> > > PING nails the G line every time for me. Feel harsh? Ummm, NO!....Temp- 91° , 160yds out, Prov-1X, 7 iron after 7 iron painting the flag all day. 4 iron from 190? Easy as a nice pass with a 7. First round in the 70s in awhile.

> > > Due to a couple of surgeries, my bag has gone from G700/Graphite, M6/steel, Rouge/steel and now G410/AWT. The progression was due to me getting healthier. 700s were actually fine but do not like the sound or graphite shafts. M6 or Rouge X. Awesome distance and feel but could not hold a green from any distance.

> > > Enter 410s. All is well for now and they have a solid/almost-soft feel when flushed. Trajectory nice and high, slightly lower than my 700s but stick every bit as good. Ball marks either spin back a bit and at worst a foot or so forward. Love. Why do I ever leave Gs of any model?

> >

> > Regular or Stiff flex in the AWT?

> Regular AWT.

Thanks

> @Cwing said:

> Any gapping issues with the 410? Hot spots, etc... ?

I use 13 clubs now and like the gapping. I might start looking for a 7 wood for $hits and giggles since I'm a low ball hitter and could use a 210 club. No hot spots.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> I use 13 clubs now and like the gapping. I might start looking for a 7 wood for $hits and giggles since I'm a low ball hitter and could use a 210 club. No hot spots.

I've been at 13 clubs for a while. I think if I PowerSpec the G410s (6-iron to SW), I could easily be at 12 clubs...

Give the G400 5 and 7 wood a try to become a full Ping brand ambassador?

5-SW came in this week and got two rounds in. Much more forgiving than my old G irons...particularly on toe hits. Modus shafts have nice high penetrating flight. I know it sounds cliche, but they are a club longer for me. That could be the half degree stronger loft than my previous G’s.

I usually pitch a SW when 30-50 yds out, but that is going to take some more practice dialing in distance with the hotter face.

No issues holding greens. They just seem to stop where they land.

Toe hits sound different as expected but center strikes are smooth and muted.

Overall extremely happy with the purchase and the great feedback on this thread leading to the new irons.

Ping G410 10.5º HZDRUS Smoke 6.0 70g

Ping G25 5w Project X Pxv 53 6.0

Ping G410 3h ATMOS TS Blue 8

Ping G410 4h Tour 85 stiff

Ping G410 5-SW blue dot Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58º AWT wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback Select 35” Superstroke Flatso

Titleist ProV1x

> @Cwing said:

> > @gvogel said:

> >

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > > @Cwing said:

> > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > > @Cwing said:

> > > > > > Thank you. Do you feel the 410 s are a full club longer?

> > > > >

> > > > > The 5 iron is, but not the shorter clubs where the lofts are similar.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you for the feedback? How about the height/launch of the two 5 irons?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure about trajectory but the 410 height is sufficient. The 410 5 iron is much stronger lofted so I suspect it flies lower but it's certainly not a low flighting iron for the most part.

> >

> > The G410 6-iron has the same loft as my AP1 (712) 5-iron. That's what I see when I hit my G410 6-iron. I'm not sure at this point that I am going to make the change to a whole bag of 410's.

>

> That is a concern. I currently play a g25 5I to about 175-180 yds. I hit it fine most days. I then use a 22* 4 Hybrid. I’m concerned that a 5I lofted like a 4 iron maybe a challenge to elevate. I get that it is possible the 410 6I may go a simulator distance to my current 5I.

>

The 5I shouldn’t be a problem to get in the air, my G400s come down with snow on them, I even have a power spec 4I at 19* which is extremely easy to get in the air, don’t think I’ve hit a low shot with it yet.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> I already stated here and there, in my opinion, much better iron than the g400. I like it more when I look down at address, I feels more muted and firm, it is smaller and the finish seems to hold very nicely. I can’t see a single aspect where the 400 are superior

Agree with you that the 410 are firmer than the 400. I’m playing both in my bag as I have the 410 SW, it’s substantially firmer that my G400 UW and PW.

It’s a nice club though, using it as my pitching club and it’s going well, it’s becoming my go-to for all standard shots from about 30-90 yards out, as well as my second bunker club for longer shots than my 58* MD4.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> I already stated here and there, in my opinion, much better iron than the g400. I like it more when I look down at address, I feels more muted and firm, it is smaller and the finish seems to hold very nicely. I can’t see a single aspect where the 400 are superior

Some like the feel of the G400 better:

Performance is similar. G410 goes a bit farther and spins less. At least according to Shiels and Ainsworth's testing.

G400 7 iron 5248 spin:

G410 7 iron 4682 spin:

Ainsworth similar results, hitting G410 further with less spin and more rollout:

Just a question of whether or not you want less spin. Manufacturer's are getting more and more distance but at what point is the less spin a negative.

> @Cwing said:

> Any gapping issues with the 410? Hot spots, etc... ?

IMO there's always distance gapping challenges with all clubs because there is no real standard for either end of the bag. That said, I think you'd find your current setup with the 54 & 60* wedges would work well with the G410 gap wedge. That 54* SW is key. I find the gapping between the U wedge and a 56* just a bit too much. A 54* fits better (IMO). I'd bet a couple dollars you'd hit the G410 5 iron about 5-12 yards further than your G25. So keep that in mind for the long end of the bag.

The only G model I haven't owned and played since the G2's are the G30's. Now that I've hit the 410's in good conditions on flightscope I believe the 410's may be the best Ping has put out. I'm thinking the tungsten in the toe and heel along with the badging gives this iron a almost S56 feeling. And that's saying something. I'll know more when I get my set in a week or two.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @RacineBoxer said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > I already stated here and there, in my opinion, much better iron than the g400. I like it more when I look down at address, I feels more muted and firm, it is smaller and the finish seems to hold very nicely. I can’t see a single aspect where the 400 are superior

>

> Some like the feel of the G400 better:

> Performance is similar. G410 goes a bit farther and spins less. At least according to Shiels and Ainsworth's testing.

> G400 7 iron 5248 spin:

> G410 7 iron 4682 spin:

> Ainsworth similar results, hitting G410 further with less spin and more rollout:

> Just a question of whether or not you want less spin. Manufacturer's are getting more and more distance but at what point is the less spin a negative.

Try both and let me know

I own both g400 and g410. I think pured hits sound great with both. The g410 seem to be a louder crack to me, but I actually like it. Toe hits don't sound near as good.

The MOI difference on toes strikes is noticeable and I find the 410 retaining more distance on toe strikes. As far as the spin, I have yet to have a ball roll more than 10 feet from where it lands. I don't play 4 and 5 irons though.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Outdoor demo today. On grass, 84*. Finally a good day. I think it’s the first time I’ve worked up a sweat due to temperatures in what seems like a solid year. The contenders were the g410 and p790 due to previous demo days hitting off mats. That stated, I was willing to try others as well.

When it was all said and done, G410, Callaway CF19, p790 and Mizzy 919. Thankfully they also had a g410 5 iron to tryout. No issue hitting the 5I.

PING G410 5-U blue dot, DG 105s 1/4” long, Power spec’d. Should be here in a week or two.

If not for fears in regards to getting the CF19 5 iron in the air on poor strike days, I could have easily put CF19 in the bag. That stated, I believe on bad strike days, the g410 will do more to help my game than those apex forged cf19’s.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

> @Cwing said:

> Outdoor demo today. On grass, 84*. Finally a good day. I think it’s the first time I’ve worked up a sweat due to temperatures in what seems like a solid year. The contenders were the g410 and p790 due to previous demo days hitting off mats. That stated, I was willing to try others as well.

>

> When it was all said and done, G410, Callaway CF19, p790 and Mizzy 919. Thankfully they also had a g410 5 iron to tryout. No issue hitting the 5I.

>

> PING G410 5-U blue dot, DG 105s 1/4” long, Power spec’d. Should be here in a week or two.

>

> If not for fears in regards to getting the CF19 5 iron in the air on poor strike days, I could have easily put CF19 in the bag. That stated, I believe on bad strike days, the g410 will do more to help my game than those apex forged cf19’s.

I'm with you. My numbers are almost identical with the CF19's. The fact the Callaways were $70 a iron higher kept me from considering them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @TaddNOhio said:

> > @RacineBoxer said:

> > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > Try both and let me know

> > >

> > >

> > I have. I love ping G series irons. Anyone playing G400 I would recommend not upgrading, unless they just love to upgrade every year. Anyone playing anything G25 or older I'd highly recommend either.

> >

>

> I love my G25's

Those were great irons. About the only thing you might get out of an upgrade is a little more distance on the 4-5-6 iron end of the bag. That's really all I noticed upgrading from my G15's to G400's. The forgiveness of those G15-G25 series was so amazing it's literally hard to improve upon. The G400/G410 might give you a sleeker look, less offset (I think), but not more forgiving (at least not according to Malty playability index). But definitely less spin and longer long irons because of it (which is good IMO).

> @RacineBoxer said:

> > @TaddNOhio said:

> > > @RacineBoxer said:

> > > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > > Try both and let me know

> > > >

> > > >

> > > I have. I love ping G series irons. Anyone playing G400 I would recommend not upgrading, unless they just love to upgrade every year. Anyone playing anything G25 or older I'd highly recommend either.

> > >

> >

> > I love my G25's

>

> Those were great irons. About the only thing you might get out of an upgrade is a little more distance on the 4-5-6 iron end of the bag. That's really all I noticed upgrading from my G15's to G400's. The forgiveness of those G15-G25 series was so amazing it's literally hard to improve upon. The G400/G410 might give you a sleeker look, less offset (I think), but not more forgiving (at least not according to Malty playability index). But definitely less spin and longer long irons because of it (which is good IMO).

I still have the G25s. I've played the G400s but have not hit the G410s yet. Functionally, I think the main advantage for me would be the ability to carry one less club (i.e. G25 5 iron-UW --> G410 6 iron-UW) based on the larger loft gaps in the mid-irons. I do think the G410s look really nice, and eventually there is the desire just to have something new. But from the G30s on (loft gaps match up with the newer versions better) I'm not sure there is a lot different in how you actually hit the ball.

I would be interested to know if people think the sole is any different on the G410s? Sometimes I think they look a bit narrower, but I'm not sure if this is just visual illusions or if they actually play a bit better on firmer turf (one knock on the G25s).

> @Wooderson said:

> I own both g400 and g410. I think pured hits sound great with both. The g410 seem to be a louder crack to me, but I actually like it. Toe hits don't sound near as good.

>

> The MOI difference on toes strikes is noticeable and I find the 410 retaining more distance on toe strikes. As far as the spin, I have yet to have a ball roll more than 10 feet from where it lands. I don't play 4 and 5 irons though.

Lack of roll out may be one of their most astonishing aspects. The difference in rollout between 6 tp 5 iron is noticeable, but even the 5 iron just rolls out 7 to 8 feet.

Ping G410 10.5º HZDRUS Smoke 6.0 70g

Ping G25 5w Project X Pxv 53 6.0

Ping G410 3h ATMOS TS Blue 8

Ping G410 4h Tour 85 stiff

Ping G410 5-SW blue dot Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58º AWT wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback Select 35” Superstroke Flatso

Titleist ProV1x