One length struggles

bird_4_3

So, I either hit a fantastic shot with the one length Cobra irons or I shank it. I think it is because I stand to far away from the ball with the short irons. I lace the 5-7 irons. I am not done working on this, but I also am not convinced. I have a one plane swing and did not think this would be that hard of an adjustment, but for now I am wrong.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Get them to the 8 iron length. Wishon was right. But mainly this is a mental thing, took me 6moths of transition coming from 35yrs of playing blades. but when it is on there is nothing like it - point and shoot.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

As I practice with my Wishon Sterling irons I make solid contact with the 7 - LW.

4, 5 & 6 irons not so well and I think it is because I want to swing harder with the lower lofted clubs.

I can't consistently get it through my head that all the clubs are the same length and weight and require the same swing.

Not sure you have the same issues but it appears there are some similarities.

Hopefully more practice/play will diminish the swing variances.

Stick with them! I switched from traditional length and found that there was more of an adjustment than I thought. Took about 6-7 rounds. Biggest thing is that I was swinging a little too hard with 6-7. Take a standard solid 8 iron swing with everything and it’s point and shoot. Can’t see how I would go back.

Been on the one length train for about 1.5 years, the hardest irons are the long irons, you have to convince yourself to just use the 7 iron swing, hard to do but trust the clubs. Length is also key, currently play edels had wishons prior both worked best at 36.5. Also helps playing around with ball position a bit.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Try this: Go out to the range and randomly arrange your clubs with the club head down so you can't see the number on the club. Take your 7 iron (or 8 iron if they are 8 iron length) and hit a number of shots to get the feel. Then randomly grab one of the other clubs and swing just like you did with the 7 iron. Keep doing this though the entire set. 7 iron followed by random club. Don't look at the number on the club, just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Obviously, you'll know you have a high or low lofted club, but try to ignore that and just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Rinse and repeat to help get yourself over the mental hurdle of swinging clubs with different lofts.

• Like 1

> @alfriday said:

> Try this: Go out to the range and randomly arrange your clubs with the club head down so you can't see the number on the club. Take your 7 iron (or 8 iron if they are 8 iron length) and hit a number of shots to get the feel. Then randomly grab one of the other clubs and swing just like you did with the 7 iron. Keep doing this though the entire set. 7 iron followed by random club. Don't look at the number on the club, just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Obviously, you'll know you have a high or low lofted club, but try to ignore that and just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Rinse and repeat to help get yourself over the mental hurdle of swinging clubs with different lofts.

Great advice. I just picked up a set used of Black Forged Tec SL with recoil shafts and for some reason I thought they would be 7i length. I didn't hit them consistently well for a couple of dozen ball. Then I compared to my gamer set and discovered they were 8i length. Sounds stupid, but I am like that :-) and once I decided it was like my 8i, I swung accordingly and presto. I am not sure about this experiment but, I am going to put them in the bag this weekend. They are a little shorter distance than my Z765, but only about 1/2 club. Also they have really hard standard sized grips and I play Winn midsized so there is a comfort level there (I will swap them this week). If I try to over swing the 4 and 5, I struggle. When I swung them like an 8i...pretty nice.

Anyway, one length and one swing is what I am shooting for.

Good luck!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

No longer gaming them, but I tried out the Forged One Lengths last year and at first I was the the same way. I think for me it was mental and I had to get over the fact that my PW was long or my 4i felt short. Once I did that I began to really like them. Ended up getting a good deal on some black Forged Tecs standard lengths that I really liked and decided to go back. BUT I wouldn't be opposed to trying out another one length set down the road.

SIM2 Max - Tour AD MT 6x
910Fd - Bi-Matrix
Cobra F7 Hybrid - Tour Green

Srixon 585 3-iron
921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 50*/56*
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

Hit a bucket of balls the last 2 nights and then went and played 9. Things are getting better, I am sticking with them. Choking down until I change my grips and possibly cut a 1/4" off of the irons. That would make them 1/2" shorter without the Cobra Connect.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

I tried OL last year and like you hit the 5-7 very well, but struggled as I continued to work my way down to the wedges. Ultimately this year I decided to go back to variable in the short irons and stick with a few OL clubs at the top of the bag. I feel I get the most out of the shorter long irons so just kept those in the bag. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but the way I look at it I now have a 'stock' swing I can use on those difficult long clubs, and my play normal variable swing everywhere else. We will see how the year goes.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

> @rjr25 said:

> I tried OL last year and like you hit the 5-7 very well, but struggled as I continued to work my way down to the wedges. Ultimately this year I decided to go back to variable in the short irons and stick with a few OL clubs at the top of the bag. I feel I get the most out of the shorter long irons so just kept those in the bag. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but the way I look at it I now have a 'stock' swing I can use on those difficult long clubs, and my play normal variable swing everywhere else. We will see how the year goes.

It does not defeat the entire purpose in my opinion. Having long irons that you can swing like a short iron was something that I really benefited from when I was playing single length in 4-7. Took me 6 months to get used to them. If the launch And decent angle were greater I would keep gaming them

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Summary of comments:

Some hit the long irons better. Some hit the short irons better.

Some may need them longer/shorter.

Some may need more practice time with them. Some had magic after a few rounds.

Some tried them and loved them,or hated them, or were indifferent.

If you didn't know we were talking about ONE length clubs you'd think it was just a discussion about any old iron set.

• Like 1

Gave a set of black Forged Tec SL a go on the course Friday. I had given them very little practice time but always feel like I am pretty adaptive and anyway, who can't hit an 8i LOL? Today I will be playing my Srixon's :-). I honestly hit them pretty decent but ran into one issue that I will try to work out on the range. We were playing in some serious wind and I could not figure out how to hit a knock down GW. In fact, full swings with all irons had at least decent outcomes. When I tried to stand on them a little, ease off a little, or keep flight down I struggled.

As for the GW, I have never hit a club that high...ever. It was like I could strike the ball and then walk back to my cart and then look back to see where it was coming down.

Positives...no iron really got me in trouble and I hit a lot of greens.

turf interaction was not V-sole good, but plenty good for my swing.

Negatives...only two iron shots got me inside 10 feet and my driver was VERY good

the feel was good but not Srixon forged good.

We will see as I get some range time on them.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

> @tucker500 said:

> Summary of comments:

>

> Some hit the long irons better. Some hit the short irons better.

>

> Some may need them longer/shorter.

>

> Some may need more practice time with them. Some had magic after a few rounds.

>

> Some tried them and loved them,or hated them, or were indifferent.

>

> If you didn't know we were talking about ONE length clubs you'd think it was just a discussion about any old iron set.

>

>

>

This is a great comment.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I played Sterling Single Length 5-GW (had the SW too, but could not get used to it) for a couple years, liked them fairly well but ended up switching to 1/4" progression. I like the little extra swing speed with the long irons and slightly shorter shaft on the short iron/wedges. 2" difference between 5iron and SW, like this more than standard length (long irons too long and wedges too hunched over) or single length.

I don't really buy the one swing benefit of single length, you are still going to have driver/FW/hybrid/wedge swings, and I certainly swung my 5iron single length different than my single length GW. I think single length is fine for some, but some length progression makes sense for a lot of players.

• 2 months later...

Looking for some advice here.

I just started golfing a little over a year ago, and about 7 months ago decided to try the cobra one-length irons. I can hit my GW - 7 pretty well, but I am absolutely terrible with the 6-4 irons. The ball barely goes off the ground, and maybe goes like 50 yards. I’m thinking about just selling the one-lengths and going back to a standard set of irons. Has anyone else had trouble with their lower irons?

I got some quality time with Cobra one-length two years ago at a demo day. This was in early June, so my swing was on "go" by then.

The feel was interesting. Problem I had: bunch up of distances in both the 4i-5i and 9i-wedges. (**Warning to Reader:** You must realize, however, that I'm no Bryson DeChambeau.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> Looking for some advice here

> I just started golfing a little over a year ago, and about 7 months ago decided to try the cobra one-length irons. I can hit my GW - 7 pretty well, but I am absolutely terrible with the 6-4 irons. The ball barely goes off the ground, and maybe goes like 50 yards. I’m thinking about just selling the one-lengths and going back to a standard set of irons. Has anyone else had trouble with their lower irons?

lots of info in other threads on this. but basically, swing it more like the other clubs. sounds like your not doing a full loose swing, same struggle i have when i mishit my long irons. or u may be topping it because your overswinging, another well documented one-length long iron struggle. I struggled with one length for 3 months before i could hit 4-6 well.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

> @rbark11 said:

> Looking for some advice here.

> I just started golfing a little over a year ago, and about 7 months ago decided to try the cobra one-length irons. I can hit my GW - 7 pretty well, but I am absolutely terrible with the 6-4 irons. The ball barely goes off the ground, and maybe goes like 50 yards. I’m thinking about just selling the one-lengths and going back to a standard set of irons. Has anyone else had trouble with their lower irons?

It takes a fair amount of swing speed to elevate the long irons.

> @rbark11 said:

I was actually the opposite, hit the lower irons (5/6) better than the short. I'm not a terribly high swing speed players and I had no issues with the low clubs. The key, swing it like a 7 iron not a 4 iron. When you overswing, good things don't happen with the one length.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I’m only guessing here but would think it’s an educated guess. You are having a setup issue...one length is kinda opposite of variable length in that you are more upright with the long clubs that the short. In the little I have tinkered with one length I notice the long irons standard are extremely upright and don’t seem to mesh with the shorter clubs lie angle. I would recommend you check the lie angles on the clubs you are struggling with and bend them if needed. You are obviously comfortable with the setup on the short clubs and getting good results...the swing should be very similar with the long clubs but I don’t think they are fitting you correctly. Given they are all the same length the lie angle could be an issue. Many players morph the lie angles through the set...meaning they don’t always follow the same flow. The sets I have looked at the short irons sat very good for me but the 6, 5, 4 they were way too upright. To the post above mine, the long irons lie probably fit him and the short irons could use some adjustment

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @rbark11 said:

I've been gaming the F7 OL for about a year and a half. I've found that moving the ball position a little forward in my stance has helped get the height I want on the longer irons. Conversely, keeping the ball in the center of my stance or behind center really helped me get out of my head about the whole "single length" thing.

• 4 weeks later...

For me it is all about ball position. The ball tends to creep forward out of habit with the longer irons which results in hooks for me. whenever i play the ball slightly back I flush my iron shots. I do think it takes some time to adjust to the mentality of swinging a long iron and wedge at the same tempo and pace. Trust the club and remember this isnt a cure all.

> @bird_4_3 said:

> So, I either hit a fantastic shot with the one length Cobra irons or I shank it. I think it is because I stand to far away from the ball with the short irons. I lace the 5-7 irons. I am not done working on this, but I also am not convinced. I have a one plane swing and did not think this would be that hard of an adjustment, but for now I am wrong

I am curious why you are standing different lengths from the ball with the different irons?

The big advantage is the same swing - same feel no matter which iron.

Maybe I am missing something,but i do not change my set up or distance from the ball

based on which iron i am using. My biggest difficulty was learning the pitch/chip with them.

And i did discover that they work a lot better with a full follow thru ! I wish you luck,and when they start working for you, i think you will be like me and wish you had them years ago !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA