2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tiger: "LA is better than NY in sports"

NoodleSalad

The full comment in response to a question about Joe LaCava:

_We're very competitive. I believe and still will always believe that LA is better than New York in sports, and we certainly have that disagreement probably every other hole, and we have a good time about it._

What an odd thing to disagree about at all, never mind on "every other hole."

Great detailed piece on Lacava, good read, a few quotes I like,

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26725913/tiger-was-done-joe-lacava-done-tiger

Tiger was 'done,' but Joe LaCava wasn't done with Tiger

"Yes, LaCava has a furnace raging beneath that calm and approachable tee-to-green demeanor. He is hopelessly invested in his New York Rangers and New York Yankees, but nothing can touch his passion for his New York Football Giants.** LaCava had the nerve to taunt Bill Belichick at the 2012 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. One day the New England coach was hitting balls on the range next to Mickelson, and LaCava let loose.

**"How about my G-Men kicking the Patriots' asses again in the Super Bowl?" LaCava barked loudly at Mackay, who was standing near Belichick. "How great was that?"**

LaCava has known longtime Giants executive Chris Mara for the better part of 20 years. In their many conversations at training camp, or by text, Mara said he has never heard the caddie say a single bad word about Woods, DJ or Couples.

"But Joe is very critical when it comes to [the Giants]," Mara said. "I get a lot of bad text messages from him after many of our losses. He thinks he's a coach. He laid into me about the draft. I had to spend 45 minutes with him explaining every pick.""

This is great,

"After Woods bogeyed the fifth hole on Sunday of this year's Masters, his second straight bogey of the round, LaCava ripped into him, too. Woods just listened as his caddie gave him a profane lecture.

"Then I went into the restroom and proceeded to say the same things over and over to myself," Woods said. "And then I came out and I felt a lot better."

Woods would play the next 10 holes in 3 under while Molinari drowned his hopes at the 12th and 15th. Tiger hit it tight at the 16th, then told Joe to look at the putt. Woods has deep respect for LaCava's ability to read greens, in part because the caddie consistently drains difficult putts on Tiger's backyard green.

"You don't expect a guy built like Brian Urlacher to be rolling in 10-footers," Mackay said, "and yet Joe can really roll it."

But this request by Tiger on the 16th on Sunday at the Masters was a bit ridiculous.

**"Take a look?" LaCava said incredulously. "It's a foot and a half.""**

And this says it all

""Appreciate you hanging in there with me," it read. "I love you like a brother."

Tiger had said a lot of kind things in past texts to Joe. "But 'love you like a brother,' I don't think that has been in there," the caddie said."

> @caniac6 said:

> I'm from Boston, and really don't like NY teams, but NY sports, and NY fans blow LA away.

as someone who despises boston teams (ny fan here)..#respect.

that being said, i admire and respect our boston rivals. LA and the west coast is just...over there somewhere.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @caniac6 said:

> > I'm from Boston, and really don't like NY teams, but NY sports, and NY fans blow LA away.

>

> as someone who despises boston teams (ny fan here)..#respect.

>

> that being said, i admire and respect our boston rivals. LA and the west coast is just...over there somewhere.

Man, I remember going to Yankee/Boston games at the Stadium back in the 70s as a kid. That was insane, was like a tinder box. Fisk, Burleson, Yaz, Rice, Tiant.

Yanks of course was Reg-gie, Munson, Mick the Quick, Chambliss. And then, OG!

kotepdu2orf3.png

This commercial was on all the time even in NY

Toronto better than both. If we only had a NFL franchise and a hockey team that wasn't stuck in 1967

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @"Burt Chance" said:

> > @NoodleSalad said:

> > What an odd thing to disagree about at all, never mind on "every other hole."

>

> Calm down dude.

>

>

Lol, always one guy.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Grew up in NYC...moved to last nearly 30 years ago.

Anyone who says LA has better fans is, to be kind, clueless.

1. LA had no NFL for twenty years. And no one cared. I attended a single Raiders game at the Coliseum in the mid 90s...scariest sporting event of my life. Everyone looked like they had just been released from San Quentin, and more fights than I could count. As for the Rams in Anaheim, you wouldn't even know there was a game being played by observing the crowds.

2. Dodger Stadium is a wasteland with no energy. Only times it's been lively was when Yankees come to town or a playoff game. Angels Stadium is all about the beer and food.

3. Knicks still sell out and draw passionate fans despite being unwatchable for 20+ years. Lakers are are all about being seen, and Clippers feels like going to a minor league game.

4. Don't really follow NHL anymore, but any fans that still chant about Dennis Potvin after 40 years have to win, right?

One thing that I did notice coming out here...who wants to schlep all the way to the games? It's just not worth it, IMHO. And during the day, I'd rather be outside in the wonderful weather.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @NoodleSalad said:

> > > @Downtown_Brown_41 said:

> > > This deserved a thread?

> >

> > Why not? Hundreds of people posted about Matt Kuchar's tipping proclivities, so my assumption was the bar was pretty low.

>

> So you meet your expectations, lol?

LOL?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

You know, you can always go somewhere else. You don't have to be here.

> @NoodleSalad said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @NoodleSalad said:

> > > > @Downtown_Brown_41 said:

> > > > This deserved a thread?

> > >

> > > Why not? Hundreds of people posted about Matt Kuchar's tipping proclivities, so my assumption was the bar was pretty low.

> >

> > So you meet your expectations, lol?

>

> LOL?

>

> I'm Ron Burgundy?

>

> You know, you can always go somewhere else. You don't have to be here.

>

>

Then I wouldn’t have learned that it was weird that sports guys banter about .......... sports.

When I saw Joe pull the hat off of a grown a** man and stuff it into his gut I knew he wasn’t the one to mess with. Him talking smack to Bellicheck is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It sure is weird that a couple of guys would argue about sports, I tell yas. Kidding, kidding OP. Honestly I'm surprised Tiger could come up with something like that. He tries to sound sports savvy but you can tell that he really isn't.

But...he might have a point. NY teams have been in the tank for a little bit. Whereas LA has had a Stanley Cup recently, Dodgers in the WS, The Galaxy, better college teams, Rams in the SB etc... NY wins in the obnoxiously-too-big-sports-team-logo-in-the-rear-window department, though. No contest there

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> I feel like everyone thinks sports in their neck of the woods is better than anywhere else.

> In LA's defense, it is one of the largest markets in the country, so they have more money than God and they SHOULD be better than anywere else.

> In spite of all that though, seriously, who cares?

they ain't got more money than nyc ...

nyc is better at everything than la ...

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/9BUtcdkyFBK2A/giphy.gif "")

All of my most hated teams are in LA and NY.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @manku said:

> Grew up in NYC...moved to last nearly 30 years ago.

> Anyone who says LA has better fans is, to be kind, clueless.

> 1. LA had no NFL for twenty years. And no one cared. I attended a single Raiders game at the Coliseum in the mid 90s...scariest sporting event of my life. Everyone looked like they had just been released from San Quentin, and more fights than I could count. As for the Rams in Anaheim, you wouldn't even know there was a game being played by observing the crowds.

> 2. Dodger Stadium is a wasteland with no energy. Only times it's been lively was when Yankees come to town or a playoff game. Angels Stadium is all about the beer and food.

> 3. Knicks still sell out and draw passionate fans despite being unwatchable for 20+ years. Lakers are are all about being seen, and Clippers feels like going to a minor league game.

> 4. Don't really follow NHL anymore, but any fans that still chant about Dennis Potvin after 40 years have to win, right?

>

> One thing that I did notice coming out here...who wants to schlep all the way to the games? It's just not worth it, IMHO. And during the day, I'd rather be outside in the wonderful weather.

Well Didi Gregorius got a curtain call as a visiting player playing in Anaheim last year, which was kinda humiliating for Angels fans. OTOT, Kobe fans took over MSG about 10 years ago, which was humiliating too, although my Knicks were (and are) terrible, while the Angels are at least average.

> @bscinstnct said:

> Great detailed piece on Lacava, good read, a few quotes I like,

>

> http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26725913/tiger-was-done-joe-lacava-done-tiger

>

> Tiger was 'done,' but Joe LaCava wasn't done with Tiger

>

> "Yes, LaCava has a furnace raging beneath that calm and approachable tee-to-green demeanor. He is hopelessly invested in his New York Rangers and New York Yankees, but nothing can touch his passion for his New York Football Giants.** LaCava had the nerve to taunt Bill Belichick at the 2012 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. One day the New England coach was hitting balls on the range next to Mickelson, and LaCava let loose.

> **

> **"How about my G-Men kicking the Patriots' asses again in the Super Bowl?" LaCava barked loudly at Mackay, who was standing near Belichick. "How great was that?"**

>

> LaCava has known longtime Giants executive Chris Mara for the better part of 20 years. In their many conversations at training camp, or by text, Mara said he has never heard the caddie say a single bad word about Woods, DJ or Couples.

>

> "But Joe is very critical when it comes to [the Giants]," Mara said. "I get a lot of bad text messages from him after many of our losses. He thinks he's a coach. He laid into me about the draft. I had to spend 45 minutes with him explaining every pick.""

>

> This is great,

>

> "After Woods bogeyed the fifth hole on Sunday of this year's Masters, his second straight bogey of the round, LaCava ripped into him, too. Woods just listened as his caddie gave him a profane lecture.

>

> "Then I went into the restroom and proceeded to say the same things over and over to myself," Woods said. "And then I came out and I felt a lot better."

>

> Woods would play the next 10 holes in 3 under while Molinari drowned his hopes at the 12th and 15th. Tiger hit it tight at the 16th, then told Joe to look at the putt. Woods has deep respect for LaCava's ability to read greens, in part because the caddie consistently drains difficult putts on Tiger's backyard green.

>

> "You don't expect a guy built like Brian Urlacher to be rolling in 10-footers," Mackay said, "and yet Joe can really roll it."

>

> But this request by Tiger on the 16th on Sunday at the Masters was a bit ridiculous.

>

> **"Take a look?" LaCava said incredulously. "It's a foot and a half.""**

>

> And this says it all

>

> ""Appreciate you hanging in there with me," it read. "I love you like a brother."

>

> Tiger had said a lot of kind things in past texts to Joe. "But 'love you like a brother,' I don't think that has been in there," the caddie said."

>

>

>

>

I was in a charity scramble with Mara and Sean O'Hara. Wore my EAGLES shirt. Mara gave me dirty looks. O'Hara and I got into a little discussion. All good fun.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Toronto better than both. If we only had a NFL franchise and a hockey team that wasn't stuck in 1967

>

> Hey, you have the Argonauts.

That's my favorite Payne Stewart story. Practice round at Glen Abbey. 4 of us on the tee in the valley on the par 5 thirteenth and he is dressed up in his NFL Vikings garb (the full kit as the Brits would say).

So I say, "Hey Payne, you couldn't pick a team that's a little closer? C'mon!!" (The Buffalo Bills ruin our chances of a NFL team.) Anyways, he backs of the drive, grins like the Cheshire cat, comes back lightning speed with "Well I wasn't going to dress up like the Argooooooooooo's." I was amazed that A. he knew who the Argonauts were and B. he knew the chant! Nobody follows CFL in Eastern Canada at all. 4 teams out West get some local love but the apathy is thick in TO for CFL football

I can still remember his driver was a Wilson Whale. He was awesome to my bud and I for the rest of the round. Very chatty and friendly and we gave each other the needle for a handful of holes. WHAT A GOLF SWING. One of the best ever IMO.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9