2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hello everybody, I am new here, I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Hello, my name is Kanzas Anthony and I was told by RollYourRock on youtube to come here and see if I couldn't get some advice on any and all golf stuff, doesn't have to be only swing stuff. I played a little golf when I was young but only a few times a year on a pitch and putt but always loved the game, only that I never played it seriously. I played a few times every 5 years or so due to my traveling and doing other things than golf, until last year when I decided I wanted to see how good I could get. I have been teaching myself since then and have learned a lot considering I didn't know anything about the swing, I always just played and never asked any questions. I am not sure how this all works, there seems to be a specific etiquette by the other threads I have read. I am looking to get my handicap soon and have no idea how all that works. For example I was thinking it would be better to wait and make sure I was good enough first so that the first few scores don't make it impossible to get under 3.4. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day, Kanzas Anthony. [https://youtube.com/watch?v=ykm6XXl-s9g](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykm6XXl-s9g "https://youtube.com/watch?v=ykm6XXl-s9g")

You clearly have some ability. How often are you able to play? What's your best score ever?

And, yes, get a handicap asap and start tracking those scores. Also, enter a tournament and see how you fare!!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Ah cool, I wasn't expecting responses, at least not that quick.

Yes, @NikeGolferTX you are exactly right. Thank you, I'll work on that.

@Obee That is the problem, if you see most of the other videos over this last year I have had to do most of my practicing with foam balls in this parking lot. We lived most of this last year in a ski resort that was closed. There are two courses a little over an hour drive but our car was broken for about 5 months so I didn't get to go much at all to the course. The other part of the year I had to take 2 buses to get to the course. I had to leave at 630 am and didn't get to the course until past 9, so that round trip was not ideal but I did it about 10 times. We just moved back here last month so I am able now to go to the course a few times a week. I am a fashion designer and we are barely surviving so it has been a little hard to justify investing the little money we have in golf. I bought a set of old no name blades last January for 13$ and used those until a few weeks ago when I got a cheap set of Mp 62's. It was my first real set and I love them. I tend to ramble, but I'd like to give a little back story. I'll work on not writing so much :) I don't have a best score, I don't have a real score yet. The few times I've played I wanted to get as much out of it as possible so I hit like 3 balls on each hole. I'll try to get a score next week after this PGA Championship.

• Like 1

@Hawkeye77 Haha I am a fashion designer and these are a new piece from our collection :) They button up on both sides and have a normal front, but when I am chipping and practicing I have them down. I pick up the balls and I can carry like 20 balls in there. I have a weird style though in general but I will always respect the rules of the course! I think I struck gold by coming here. Watch from the 14 min mark ;) Ah and if you watch the putting I took off my shoes because they have real spikes and were making holes everywhere and I didn't want to ruin the greens. I wasn't just out there messing around playing in socks!

> @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> @chigolfer1 Bois Chenu in France. Yes it is beautiful and there must be a flight school around because planes go around and around the whole time. The Tour de France will be near there this year.

>

Shesh, well if you are having a bad day on the course/range all you have to do is look up at THAT

Yes! Also good for recording the ball flight. The dark background makes that much easier to see the ball. I had the wrong aperture because I used an ND filter when I shouldn't have. Also if you ever want to do the same thing to the sky, use a red filter on the camera with a circular polariser. The red will turn the blue sky black. But yes, this place is beautiful, very much therapy for me.

> @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> @Hawkeye77 Haha I am a fashion designer and these are a new piece from our collection :) They button up on both sides and have a normal front, but when I am chipping and practicing I have them down. I pick up the balls and I can carry like 20 balls in there. I have a weird style though in general but I will always respect the rules of the course! I think I struck gold by coming here. Watch from the 14 min mark ;) Ah and if you watch the putting I took off my shoes because they have real spikes and were making holes everywhere and I didn't want to ruin the greens. I wasn't just out there messing around playing in socks!

LOL, that’s why I was busting your chops. Can’t have you thinking this place is an emotional support oasis!

Having said that - all the cards in your favor in terms of developing a very good golf swing!

@Hawkeye77 haha I am reading the other post and kind of getting a feel for this place. I am loving it. Your post made me laugh. I can see it is not for emotional support! @NikeGolferTX already might have saved my golf life, so whatever happens after is just extra. It's 9:45 pm here in France and I have my net and am charging batteries already. I can't wait to wake up and work on what he or she told me. I am having trouble with the right bend on the downswing, but I think that advice might have illuminated the problem I was having.

Definitely much higher production value that the average swing video posted here. As others have said, overall, your swing looks good and you seem to be hitting the ball pretty well.

Having said that, your follow through seems a bit funky to me - rather constricted, like it is stopping short of a full follow through. Your hands remain low, and you don't look very relaxed or balanced in the final position.

This could be a result of the thrusting towards the ball motion that earlier posters have pointed to. It also might be an indication that your swing remains too arm/hands centered. When you get the swing driving with the lower body, and you can remain balanced, the follow through kind of takes care of itself.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

@jholz Exactly!!! It is super constricted, and if you look at my neck muscles I am way too tense. You are exactly right. I will work on that tomorrow. This is why I am here. I have already gotten a lot of help. I hope I can pay it forward in the future too. I will try to spin and not slide and I think that will be the most important thing for me going forward. I'll try to relax and just turn with the body. I think I want it too bad and I swing like it. I need to give up control in order to have it. I was a little off track as far as my direction. I am doing and learning this alone and I miss things. I was working on my right bend but I see now that I just added the right bend without turning and that added to my already sliding move. Thanks! I'll post a better video when I work on these things.

> @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> @jholz Exactly!!! It is super constricted, and if you look at my neck muscles I am way too tense. You are exactly right. I will work on that tomorrow. This is why I am here. I have already gotten a lot of help. I hope I can pay it forward in the future too. I will try to spin and not slide and I think that will be the most important thing for me going forward. I'll try to relax and just turn with the body. I think I want it too bad and I swing like it. I need to give up control in order to have it. I was a little off track as far as my direction. I am doing and learning this alone and I miss things. I was working on my right bend but I see now that I just added the right bend without turning and that added to my already sliding move. Thanks! I'll post a better video when I work on these things.

Right on. Like you, I've always wanted to know as much about the golf swing as I can and I've learned a ton from the posters here at WRX. Lots of knowledgeable folks.

Keep an eye out for content from Monte Scheinblum and iTeach. Monte's YouTube videos are all very good as well. Jim Whaldron's "Arm Swing Illusion" thread and Slicefixer's Encyclopedia Texarkana are also worth a read.

You will find conflicting advice and opinions, of course, but over time you will figure out how to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

or
or

I like the music, I appreciate the attire and I love your write-up below the video!!

I’ll leave the physical game advice to Monte & the boys that do it for a living however I like where your head is as I am huge on the mental game and if ya ever have any questions there, please don’t hesitate to ask!!

Do not EVER lose that vision of your swing in your mind’s eye or quit striving to attain it!!

Keep the faith Brother, you obviously have the ability though it’s whats up stairs that will get ya there!!

All the Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

@Forged4ever Thank you! If you have any advice on books, podcasts, or otherwise, I'd love to know more about the mental side. I have the Zen Golf on my iTunes and listen to it a lot in the background when I do stuff around the house ect. But maybe you have something you like best? Much Appreciated.

> @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> @jholz Wow, I'm looking at the Encyclopaedia Texarkana right now. Gold. Thank you :smiley:

No problem. The biggest thing I took from Slicefixer is the 9-3 drill. It's a simple thing, but I think it really forces you to make a more technically sound swing. I start and end every range session with it.

• Like 1

or
or

@jholz I agree. I think I will do only that from here on out, and hit a few full swings before the first tee, but I will try to be discipline and do this for a few months, maybe all summer is a good goal. I was already doing a form of it with the driver and that was the only way I could hit the positions I wanted. As soon as I go full swing I lose all of it. This is an example from the other day.

I couldn't find the pdf but I will take screenshots of the whole thing. I really like the way it is explained. I'd love to have it in print, but not sure if it is available. If you have it or know where I can get it, I'd love that. If not, the screen shots will be fine.

> @jholz said:

> > @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> > @jholz Wow, I'm looking at the Encyclopaedia Texarkana right now. Gold. Thank you :smiley:

>

> No problem. The biggest thing I took from Slicefixer is the 9-3 drill. It's a simple thing, but I think it really forces you to make a more technically sound swing. I start and end every range session with it.

Agree ?% with JH on the 9-3 drill, and this is one of two drills that my Teacher taught me and every one of his students and we referred to it as the “L” drill and the second drill was the “Y” drill.

Back in the day(1960’s-70’s), these drills were often referred to as the “Hogan” drills, at least the “L” drill was, as it appeared on pages 82-83 of “Five Lesson.” This really chapped Pete’s (Snead, my Teacher) and Sam’s(Snead, his younger Bro) *ss as Pete’s Teacher, PGA sponsor and Mentor, Tommy Armour, had taught both to him long before benny’s book and before he had ever seen it elsewhere though with Sam & hogan performing the drills, they became a common drill amongst the Pros.

Regardless, both are exceptional drills and when my swing went sideways, these are the only two that I would perform and they never failed me.

I would recommend first slo mo/mirror work to ingrain the position/swing and then no-ball full speed swings and when ya do drop a ball, put it on a tee as though it were a par-3 so you can take a nice smooth swing without concern on your lie.

Having Played the game for 50+ years and being as low as a +3.1 and a +2.8 when I exited the game due to myriad health issues(stroke & 3 bouts of cancer of which I’m almost finished with treatment for the third presently), these two drills were hands down, at least for me, THE finest drills for both tempo and position work of any that I have in my drills notebook.

You may see some vids that incorporate the two drills into one, as in the backswing to “L(9:00)” and the follow through to “Y(about 4:00-5:00),” and while this is fine to do, IT IS NOT the 9:00-3:00/L drill.

The “Y” drill, basically 7:00-8:00 to 4:00-5:00, is a separate drill and one that I did for my short game.

Anyhoo, great post JH?

Stay well Gents?

RP

• Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

@ScratchyDawg Yes, I think it is a weak left hand. I'll work on that. It used to be much much weaker a few months ago. Corey Pavin, I'll have to go back and study him.

@hacker49 Yes, I first found Tom Bertrand who was nice enough to send me Maximum golf for free on my birthday, so that meant a lot and taught me a lot. I found George Gankas a few months ago who I believe in. I like him as a person more than anything. I will start keeping score. That is super important and a little scary. I feel like I would have benefited from doing that at the beginning and getting the 90's out of my way. I kind of expect a lot now, but that's ok. I've always done better under pressure. I have watched so much golf it's crazy and I take notes when the commentators talk, so I feel like I have a little advantage having never played really but watch a ton of tournaments. I need to figure out the Driver for the next week or so before I go play. The course I will play here is 135 slope and treelined, so I have to keep the foul balls to a zero if I am going to score decent. I really appreciate the community here. I'm surprised I didn't find this sooner. Thanks to rollyourrock on youtube. That was another big thing for me, like what Tom did.

• Like 1