2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Question about Cobra

Parrotheadgolfer

Cobra has different pricing levels within their brand as well...currently the Max line. These are there most game improvement models(higher launch, draw weighting) and they have had this for several years now. I think the biocell line had the S models. A lot of what you are seeing online at the $40-50 dollar range are older models in the game improvement lines. They are fantastic clubs and the highest quality. Most are aimed at women and seniors. Their high end stuff is second to none in my opinion

I hit a biocell + 3 wood and F9 driver but I own a Fly Z+, F6+, F7+....they are all solid as anything out there. I still swear I get more out of the Fly Z than any of them

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Like many others on here, I have jumped on board the Cobra train myself. The Baffler tech in their fairways is the real deal. I've been really impressed with almost all of the woods in the last couple of model releases.

WITB:

Ping G430 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili Blue 70x

Callaway UW 19* - Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80X or

Srixon Zu85 20* - Fujikura Pro TS 95i X

Srixon ZX5/ZX7 MkII 4-PW - TT DG 120 x100

Cleveland RTX4 50* - TT DG 120 x100

Vokey SM9 56D, 60M - TT DG S400

Scotty Cameron Select Golo S

As a lifelong Titleist fan, I was skeptical of Cobra. First club was an F8 3-4W and now I own an F9 driver. I'm looking to replace my AP2's with a set of Forged Tec Blacks after this season.

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Fantastic, fantastic clubs. _** Their value never seems to hold and you can often find last year's product being sold off for 50-60% of regular retail. **_ However, what many don't realize is they offer just as many free shafts in their irons as Mizuno and Srixon, and their driver/wood shaft line is some of the best out there in terms of selection and quality. I also know that they change yearly and offer volume-specific clubs (like the F8-S to big box stores) so some distributors might get stuck with a product that is close to two years old and they want to liquidate, hence the cheaper prices.

>

> I wouldn't hesitate to grab anything Cobra.

... And thank goodness thy don't hold their value in the used market. After playing Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and Tour Forged irons I found P790's and tried to sell almost new Forged Tours for $399 and even dropped the price to $349 and only git one low ball offer. Playing in Phoenix all winter I found the rock hard greens unreceptive to P790 long irons and put the Cobra FT's back in the bag and was emitted how much I loved them. The feel is arguably the best of any multi material iron and combined with the thin top line, excellent sole and over all performance that are hard to beat.

... Doing reviews for years, I think the engineers at Cobra are the best in the game, all things considered. They are passionate about their products and always pushing the innovative envelope. They are also very personable and great to talk to. So for those wondering, I would not worry about resale and just concern myself with performance.

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

With respect to their value, they take a much larger initial depreciation than other brands, but then they don't drop nearly as significantly after their initial loss. I bought my Fly-Z driver, F6 Baffler, and Forged One irons all in like-new condition for a fraction of retail, and could get most of my money back if I sold them right now in well used condition. They take a pretty steep dive when you drive them off the lot, but they don't drop very quickly after that in my experience.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I could be wrong in my opinion and I am sure I will be told so...

But I think Cobra gets overlooked because it doesn't have the marketing push that a Taylormade, Callaway, and Titleist get. Add in Ping with their drivers now. And to the casual golfer or someone who doesn't look past the big name brands, marketing really works. Whether it be walking into GG and wanting the new club that DJ/Rory/Tiger are hitting to Phil. Titleist ProV1 commercials are everywhere. Rickie does more commercials for third party advertisers than Cobra/Puma.

And on top of that, golf already gets the bad name of being "the expensive sport" so when you see a 'major' brand about $100 less than other major brands, you question it and think they aren't as good. I am slowly making my way into the market to update my bag and taking a very close look at their releases as nothing but good things have been said.

Even when they were with Acushnet, Cobra turned out some clubs that were more of a players club than what Titleist had at the time. The S9-1 Pro still finds its way into my bag from time to time.

I almost always go Titleist at the top of my bag. I just did a driver and fairway fitting, tried everything, and the Cobra F9 won out on both. The driver was 2-3 mph faster on ball speed with better spin. The fairway wood was similar.

How is it that Cobra is the only company running rails on FW and hybrids? I grew up playing with Macgregors that had rails. The turf interaction can't be beat, which is what you want with a 5w up.

Cobra has really rebounded since Puma bought the line. Cobra long clubs usually finalists when I consider new clubs.

The Cobra hybrids are especially versatile. A adjustable hybrids such as the King F7 have overlapping lofts:

* 2-3H: 16°-19° / shaft 41.25"

* 3-4H: 19°-22° / shaft 39.75"

* 4-5H: 22°-25° / shaft 39.25"

If you want a 19° hybrid, you can pick the 2-3H for a longer shaft, or a 3-4H for a shorter shaft. The overlap allows for finetuning without having to cut a shaft.

Note that the stock shafts for Cobra long clubs are fairly robust. I have the Lite flex in my FlyZ hybrids, but Regular flex in everything else.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @"Midway Nole" said:

> How is it that Cobra is the only company running rails on FW and hybrids? I grew up playing with Macgregors that had rails. The turf interaction can't be beat, which is what you want with a 5w up.

Great question. My first hybrids were some Cleveland Mashies with the Gliderails. They were great!

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @BottleCap said:

> > @KRW59 said:

> > Cobra is the new Adams of golf equipment. They have stepped in to fill void left by the

> > demise of the former. Quality and innovative drivers , fwys, and hybrids . And some

> > very nice , irons that are often overlooked .

> >

> >

>

> Not at all, Adams was the golf clubs for seniors.

I still game an adams fast 12 ls driver and a 3w. I wish I had bought cmb s five years ago... definitely not senior equipment.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Been playing Cobra woods since the Amp Cell. Just did a fitting and ended up with an f9 with Oban Devotion (from my f8) and a set of Cobra Forged Tec blacks (from Srixon 745/545). I went into the fitting with the mindset that I’d play whatever comes out best from the process. Was excited about the f9 driver and surprised about the forged Tec black (gained yardage and decreased dispersion). Both are on order. Can’t wait to get them on the grass!

• Like 1

Cobra stuff is great. I was a big fan of Greg Norman as a child, so I gravitated towards Cobra early on. I’ve used a bunch of their gear off and on for years. It always performs. I have two sets of Forged Tec Black irons currently. F9 is a fantastic driver, it I have an LTD pro driver as a back up. I think the LTD fwys as well as the f8 and f9 fwys are fantastic.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

First played Cobra in middle school with the Gravity Back irons. They were excellent. I remember the golf shop guy telling my dad the PW was very strong lofted, at 46*. My dad played King Cobra irons through the 90’s and 00’s. All great stuff. I bounced around playing mostly Ping and Titleist through the years, but about 6 years ago, bought a Bio Cell + driver. Still the best driver I’ve ever owned. Have played forged Tec irons, currently game f8+ driver and f6 baffler. Cobra is as good as anything out there.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Sometimes I worry that people will look at my post history and signature and think I'm a Cobra shill...lol. That being said, I'm just so enamored with every piece of equipment of theirs I've added to my bag. I went from Ping/Callaway/Titleist to almost entirely Cobra. The forged tec blacks knocked my Apex CF 16's dead out of the water. The F9 driver is just so much more consistent, and I've hit some of my best drives with it compared to my Rogue...same shaft. The F6 baffler is just magical, and the F9 fairway is great. It's not as long as my rogue fairway, but it's easier to elevate and has an addictive sound/feel.

My wedges probably won't change anytime soon, I've got so much confidence in my short game I'd be foolish to change equipment there.

• Like 1

> @The_Perrycox said:

> Sometimes I worry that people will look at my post history and signature and think I'm a Cobra shill...lol. That being said, I'm just so enamored with every piece of equipment of theirs I've added to my bag. I went from Ping/Callaway/Titleist to almost entirely Cobra. The forged tec blacks knocked my Apex CF 16's dead out of the water. The F9 driver is just so much more consistent, and I've hit some of my best drives with it compared to my Rogue...same shaft. The F6 baffler is just magical, and the F9 fairway is great. It's not as long as my rogue fairway, but it's easier to elevate and has an addictive sound/feel.

>

> My wedges probably won't change anytime soon, I've got so much confidence in my short game I'd be foolish to change equipment there.

If I’m looking for a low launch low spin used cobra, what should I be searching for?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @The_Perrycox said:

> > Sometimes I worry that people will look at my post history and signature and think I'm a Cobra shill...lol. That being said, I'm just so enamored with every piece of equipment of theirs I've added to my bag. I went from Ping/Callaway/Titleist to almost entirely Cobra. The forged tec blacks knocked my Apex CF 16's dead out of the water. The F9 driver is just so much more consistent, and I've hit some of my best drives with it compared to my Rogue...same shaft. The F6 baffler is just magical, and the F9 fairway is great. It's not as long as my rogue fairway, but it's easier to elevate and has an addictive sound/feel.

> >

> > My wedges probably won't change anytime soon, I've got so much confidence in my short game I'd be foolish to change equipment there.

> If I’m looking for a low launch low spin used cobra, what should I be searching for?

>

You should be looking for the LTD Pro with a mid-low launch shaft of your choice. You can still find those guys new on eBay every once in awhile for @$150-$190 New. I bought a new one last fall for $170 on eBay.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Played Cobra CXI's for about 10 years, and they worked well for me. Upgraded to forge Tec black last year and really enjoy these clubs. My F9 driver is by far the straightest I've hit, though I've really been working on my swing consistency, too. I think staying just below the radar of the bigger brands helps keep some costs down, so if I can save $50-75 per Driver/FWW by Cobra spending a little less on marketing, I'm happy to do so. I really don't think they make a product that is inferior in any way.

• Like 1

> @IndyArcher said:

> Played Cobra CXI's for about 10 years, and they worked well for me. Upgraded to forge Tec black last year and really enjoy these clubs. My F9 driver is by far the straightest I've hit, though I've really been working on my swing consistency, too. I think staying just below the radar of the bigger brands helps keep some costs down, so if I can save $50-75 per Driver/FWW by Cobra spending a little less on marketing, I'm happy to do so. I really don't think they make a product that is inferior in any way.

Also, less money on marketing = potentially more money on R&D. And for us, less money on clubs = more on playing and/or lessons.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

I can’t even look at anything but a Cobra driver since the Biocell +. They are the only company that has figured out how to make a driver SQUARE! Every driver they make is dead square and every fairway wood as well. The adapter hasn’t changed in 6 models now I believe because it works perfect. The loft and lie is adjusted with very little change to how the club sits. And if you want to know if they are any good...just hit one. Nothing feels more solid and the performance is second to no one.

I have the F9, F7 + and Fly Z + and about 8 shafts I interchange. They are all fantastic.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @stanger37 said:

> I could be wrong in my opinion and I am sure I will be told so...

>

> But I think Cobra gets overlooked because it doesn't have the marketing push that a Taylormade, Callaway, and Titleist get. Add in Ping with their drivers now. And to the casual golfer or someone who doesn't look past the big name brands, marketing really works. Whether it be walking into GG and wanting the new club that DJ/Rory/Tiger are hitting to Phil. Titleist ProV1 commercials are everywhere. Rickie does more commercials for third party advertisers than Cobra/Puma.

>

> And on top of that, golf already gets the bad name of being "the expensive sport" so when you see a 'major' brand about $100 less than other major brands, you question it and think they aren't as good. I am slowly making my way into the market to update my bag and taking a very close look at their releases as nothing but good things have been said.

I think they've had very selective "niche" marketing aimed at non-mainstream demographics. They're not necessarily trying to get 50 year old country club members to buy their equipment, they're getting the kids and younger employees of those guys, the folks who can't go out and get a new set of $3k set of PXG's every year, but can afford to buy lots of hats and a new driver every year. They've had a tour presence (Rickie Fowler, Lexi Thompson, Bryson Dechambeau, Greg Norman), but their players are a little polarizing (intentionally in my opinion). In each case lots of people are indifferent to them as fans, but the niche group of people who like them are cult-like and highly likely to buy gear, hence the throngs of head-to-toe orange and lime green clothed kids who have followed Rickie for the last decade.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Cobra comes and go in flavors. They're pretty popular and well received in San Diego but, their main office is right up the road in Carlsbad if I'm not mistaken. So it would make sense. When I go to New England and play in the Northeast, I see pretty much nothing of them.

Their F9 driver seems to be getting a lot of love. Their F8 was a hit as well and the F7 line was being introduced just when I was really starting to get serious and do research on golf stuff so I can't speak prior to that.

Their MBs are some of the most overlooked on the market but easily are top 3 sexiest / aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

I hope that they continue to be the forerunner for One Lengths. I don't use them but, can easily see that style of play helping the masses and aiding new people to get in the game by teach them 1 swing for their irons and sticking with it.

Cobra / Puma is well respected. Bryson, Lexi, Rickie, Greg Norman and all the other reps do great things for them and they are the future of Golf for the next 15 - 20+ years.

> @ChipNRun said:

> Cobra has really rebounded since Puma bought the line. Cobra long clubs usually finalists when I consider new clubs.

>

> The Cobra hybrids are especially versatile. A adjustable hybrids such as the King F7 have overlapping lofts:

> * 2-3H: 16°-19° / shaft 41.25"

> * 3-4H: 19°-22° / shaft 39.75"

> * 4-5H: 22°-25° / shaft 39.25"

>

> If you want a 19° hybrid, you can pick the 2-3H for a longer shaft, or a 3-4H for a shorter shaft. The overlap allows for finetuning without having to cut a shaft.

>

> Note that the stock shafts for Cobra long clubs are fairly robust. I have the Lite flex in my FlyZ hybrids, but Regular flex in everything else.

These can be found new for $85 from time to time - incredible value. I'm a believer in the rails particularly in a hybrid.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023