Callaway Magna golf ball review

Joluk58

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Tanner25 said:

> ShortSticks, Is your score improved due to the ball or is just slightly noticeable that the ball is easier to launch/hit than the supersoft? Thx Tanner

I would say my scores are about the same for this time of the year. Hard to say with just 5 rounds if I will score better with this ball, but I feel as if I hit this ball better than the regular Supersoft, and I definitely hit the Magna straighter. Chips and Pitches are a little easier for me and the putting thing may just be in my head.

> @TarheelTH50 said:

> Thank you, ShortSticks, for your reports as you tried out this ball! Very much appreciated

No Problem Tarheel, it has been my pleasure to help others when I can. My apologies to the OP Joluk58 for taking over his thread, but felt it was the best place to put my feedback on the Supersoft Magna.

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @SwingBlade said:

> > My wife has a very slow swing speed and is just coming back into golf after a couple years off. I bought her a dozen Magna balls. So far, for her, a transformative ball. She was amazed, I was amazed and our two friends were amazed as she played hugely better and truly enjoyed herself. After two rounds, I’m afraid to offer her a normal ball again.

>

> Cool, was hoping the biggest gains will be for a wife or a son who slices the ball off the planet.

It did help with slicing I guess, but more importantly it has enabled her to compress the ball better and to get straight high flight. I can’t explain it, but this ball just might be a little miracle worker.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

> @SwingBlade said:

> > @Tanner25 said:

> > > @SwingBlade said:

> > > My wife has a very slow swing speed and is just coming back into golf after a couple years off. I bought her a dozen Magna balls. So far, for her, a transformative ball. She was amazed, I was amazed and our two friends were amazed as she played hugely better and truly enjoyed herself. After two rounds, I’m afraid to offer her a normal ball again.

> >

> > Cool, was hoping the biggest gains will be for a wife or a son who slices the ball off the planet.

>

> It did help with slicing I guess, but more importantly it has enabled her to compress the ball better and to get straight high flight. I can’t explain it, but this ball just might be a little miracle worker.

>

>

Great, can't wait to share these Magna with the Mrs. As they say, happy wife, happy life, lol.

• 1 month later...

I'm a 6 handicap. I worked for a major golf company and had all the balls I could get from them. I recently left the company and I saw that the Magna was coming back out. I bought them the first day available. I love them. Distance is not an issue for me. I drive the ball 265-285 on normal days, but I want to be in the fairway. This ball gives me that. I played Aviara from the tips (7000+ yards) a few weeks ago and hit 10/14 fairways and 13/18 FIR. I'll take those numbers on any course. Yes they do not spin on the chips like my T5X/ProV's but I will get used to the roll out on them. My biggest complaint on the ChromeSoft when it first came out was that the ball was a rock to putt. It would explode off the putter face and made inside 3 ft putts a risk of blowing past 3 feet. They have fixed that issue. These are softer and putt nicely.

My goal is to break par someday, I feel the straightness of these balls give me a chance.

Bought two dozen of these to give them an honest try. Couldn’t get a long with them at all unfortunately. Roll out on approach shots was tough to manage.

Funny thing is they don’t look overly large in hand or behind the driver but sitting in front of an iron they appear absolutely massive. That and the spin are a deal breaker for me.

I will say the ball is incredibly straight. I usually hit a baby fade with my driver and it flew more like a pull hook, just kind of hanging out there. Once I adapter to thay I was hitting arrows off the tee, which was nice.

Going to play a few more rounds with them until I lose them all but it’s pribably the end of that experiment. FWIW I gave the regular supersofts a chance last season and hated them as well.

> @caloge said:

> Bought two dozen of these to give them an honest try. Couldn’t get a long with them at all unfortunately. Roll out on approach shots was tough to manage.

> Funny thing is they don’t look overly large in hand or behind the driver but sitting in front of an iron they appear absolutely massive. That and the spin are a deal breaker for me.

>

> I will say the ball is incredibly straight. I usually hit a baby fade with my driver and it flew more like a pull hook, just kind of hanging out there. Once I adapter to thay I was hitting arrows off the tee, which was nice.

>

> Going to play a few more rounds with them until I lose them all but it’s pribably the end of that experiment. FWIW I gave the regular supersofts a chance last season and hated them as well.

I actually kind of like those magna's, how do the superhot compare if you hit them? I'm trying to find a cheaper ball but can't decide what to try. Love avx but hate the price tag for as many balls as I lose.

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

> @cj4501 said:

> > @caloge said:

> > Bought two dozen of these to give them an honest try. Couldn’t get a long with them at all unfortunately. Roll out on approach shots was tough to manage.

> > Funny thing is they don’t look overly large in hand or behind the driver but sitting in front of an iron they appear absolutely massive. That and the spin are a deal breaker for me.

> >

> > I will say the ball is incredibly straight. I usually hit a baby fade with my driver and it flew more like a pull hook, just kind of hanging out there. Once I adapter to thay I was hitting arrows off the tee, which was nice.

> >

> > Going to play a few more rounds with them until I lose them all but it’s pribably the end of that experiment. FWIW I gave the regular supersofts a chance last season and hated them as well.

>

> I actually kind of like those magna's, how do the superhot compare if you hit them? I'm trying to find a cheaper ball but can't decide what to try. Love avx but hate the price tag for as many balls as I lose.

Never tried the superhots, but i did play the supersofts. Very similar to the magna with the exception of the size. Dont like either of them, to be honest. My goal was also to find a more affordable ball. Pretty much every season i try a new ball for a few weeks, before inevitably going back to the ball that suits me best, which is the vanilla prov1.

if you like the magna you will like the supersofts.

• 5 months later...

I play off 8, SS around 95 usually play Supersoft, have played Z Star, ProV1 regularly, but read reviews on the Magna and I won a NTP so got 5 to give them a try. First impression is very straight. Cant remember a more straighter ball flight. From first tee straight down the middle and then a wedge into the green, straight as an arrow. Didn’t notice too much difference off the tee, but when you hit fairways, instead of rough, who cares. 2nd hole was a par 3, 165 metres (180 yd) put a 5 iron to 6 metres, sat down well, good flight. Off the putter similar to Supersoft. I did notice that the cover was in better condition after 18 holes than the SS, so that was good. Would recommend them to anyone, good ball.

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, ShortSticks said:

I played the Supersoft Magna last weekend and thought I would chime in. I have been playing the Supersoft for the last 3 years and I also played the TopFlight Magna many years ago. The old TopFlight Magna was a rock and did not fight the wind very well, but it was easy to hit and had a very straight flight. The new Callaway Magna is similar to the old TopFlight Magna in that it has a very straight flight and is easy to hit, but is a much improved ball in that it is softer feeling and has better flight characteristics. Contrary to some reports that this ball is lighter than a normal ball, the Magna and Supersoft weighed the same on my scales, it just feels lighter in hand due to the construction and size. The feel is similar to the Supersoft but it has a thicker cover that seems to gives it a muted sound off most clubs, which was different but strangely pleasing to me. This new version shows promise, but I will need more than one round to fully evaluate its benefits.

Here are my observations from my first round with the Callaway Supersoft Magna:

First tee I hit both the Magna and Supersoft to see if there was a difference in distance. Magna was 10 yards further than the SS. Wow, did not expect that. Next shot into green, the SS hit the green and rolled out a foot or so as normal, the Magna flew the green by a yard or so. Again, Wow this ball is long. Contact on the Magna was so pure and easy to hit I just overpowered the shot. Chipped the Magna about the same as the Supersoft normally does with the expected roll out to about two feet. Made par with both balls.

Over the rest of the round I hit a few shots with both balls to get a better comparison. I had a few where the SS was longer and a few that the Magna was longer which probably just comes down to quality of the strike, but overall it seems the Magna holds its own in distance. It is a VERY straight ball! The Supersoft is no slouch in that department, but the Magna takes it to another level. If you like to work the ball, this is not the ball for you. My tee shots all day were never more than a 5 yard fade or draw. You may be able to curve it more than that but you will really have to try. I play for a straight tee ball and this delivered in spades, leaving me shots from the fairway all day.

One thing I immediately noticed was that my iron shots were the best I have had in years. Every shot was pure and so easy to make solid contact that I was getting better distance than I was accustomed to which made me overshoot some greens. I adjusted and in time was throwing darts at the flags.

One shot in particular stood out, I was 168 yards out on a long par 4 and had a slight uphill shot into the green. I pulled a 6 iron (my normal 165 yard club) and hit one so solid it landed 2 feet from the pin and stopped dead in its pitch mark. Not trying to passive brag because I never hit my irons that well, but that shot is why we play this game, right. And yes I made that birdie putt.

I ended up shooting par (36) on the front. This was the best front nine I had shot in a while, which I must say was due to the solid contact on my iron shots and being in the fairway on all but one hole. The law of averages caught up to me on the back nine, shooting a 45 (I am a 10 handicap) as it was cold and I was getting tired. I ended up shooting an 81.

I did have a couple of lip out puts which is what concerns me the most about playing this ball. The hole is still the same size but my ball is bigger. Does this mean its is harder to drop puts or is it all in my head. Those lip outs may have been the same with a regular sized ball, but in the back of my mind I wonder...

All in all I was impressed with the Callaway Supersoft Magna, and will continue to post my observations in this thread to help anyone who may be interested in this ball.

excellent detailed report, well done.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, Hertsjoatmon said:

Not thought about this ball for a while. I still have a couple but I got a crazy deal on about 90 new super hot balls that I'm working my way through them.

Did wonder if anyone still played the Magna though

Just initially, the only positive that stood out was ease of chipping. Nothing else about the ball was impressive. I suspect a beginner, junior, super senior or some ladies could benefit by this ball. Even if it is for the placebo effect of hitting a larger ball. 

Edited by Tanner25

29 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Just initially, the only positive that stood out was ease of chipping. Nothing else about the ball was impressive. I suspect a beginner, junior, super senior or some ladies could benefit by this ball. Even if it is for the placebo effect of hitting a larger ball. 

As someone who finds putting a chore to practice, even a tiny bit larger ball is a no no for me which is why I stopped using after a few balls