Golf Course Superintendent Ready to Answer Any Questions You May Have

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> If you were interviewing a high school or college student as summer help at your course, apart from experience, what attributes/qualities/skills would you be evaluating? I have never worked at a golf course, but was able to obtain an interview nevertheless. My only experience is a Jacobson 22" walk-behind greens mower in the backyard. I'm wondering what sort of ideas/qualities I should emphasize.

>

> Thank you!

Your best ability is your availability. Obviously there’s a huge benefit and advantage to having previous experience, but a good crew will teach you how things are done and not done at particular clubs as every one is different. So if I had to name specific qualities I’d go with with reliability, and a positive attitude towards the job.

> If you were interviewing a high school or college student as summer help at your course, apart from experience, what attributes/qualities/skills would you be evaluating? I have never worked at a golf course, but was able to obtain an interview nevertheless. My only experience is a Jacobson 22" walk-behind greens mower in the backyard. I'm wondering what sort of ideas/qualities I should emphasize.

>

> Thank you!

Last year on our crew we had a 19 year old kid. Good kid who worked too fast (hasn’t developed an attention to detail yet) but still a good kid. He became the butt if some jokes because of his ability to break stuff. 1 Day he broke our dump trailer, to the tune of a little over $3k. I was speaking with one of our mechanics (in his early 60’s) and he responded “well at least he has his crap together.” I asked him what he meant, he replied “he shows up on time everyday he is scheduled to work, do you know any other 19 yr olds who do that.?”

Point is highlight your availability and willingness to learn. Show up when scheduled, be polite and have a smile. Let the older guys on the crew teach you because they want you to succeed because the better you do the easier their job is. If I don’t have to go behind you and check your work you are good in my book.

> Thanks guys, I went the route of wanting to learn and love for golf and impressed him, I start in 2 weeks!

A little tip, befriend the mechanics. Tell them when something is starting to go wrong with a piece of equipment before it fully breaks. They will teach you a lot. Also figure out who on the crew really has the Supers trust and learn from them. If you get that person on your side the rest of the crew will follow. Good luck

BNGL

Timely question on aeration.

Our club closes the course for 4 days in the spring and 4 days in the fall to do the aeration.

Is this a reason amount of time for a private club?

I know that more than just the aeration will be done but we also open late on Mondays during the summer to allow for full course work.

I am not complaining because the course is in excellent shape and I would be willing to put up with more course closures to keep the course in great shape.

How many holes? What is aerated? Much depends on their practices after cores are pulled, IMO.

My current course closes for 2 days and is 18 holes, 2 practice putting greens, and 1 nursery along with a 4 hole putting course. We start Sunday night doing the putters and putting course. We just pick up the cores though. My last course was 36 holes and they dragged the cores back in and that was an adventure. I, personally don’t like dragging back in what you just pulled out.

> @Golfnuck said:

> BNGL

> Timely question on aeration.

> Our club closes the course for 4 days in the spring and 4 days in the fall to do the aeration.

> Is this a reason amount of time for a private club?

> I know that more than just the aeration will be done but we also open late on Mondays during the summer to allow for full course work.

> I am not complaining because the course is in excellent shape and I would be willing to put up with more course closures to keep the course in great shape.

>

>

The closure isn’t going to magically heal the surface any faster than if you opened the next day. But it does allow for some much needed TLC and work to be on the course without interfering with member’s round of golf. When I was in Orlando we closed for 2.5 days, typically closed on a Tuesday at noon, had all day Wednesday and all day Thursday to ourselves. It worked fine. Now I’m closed in the summers so we can beat the place up as much as possible.

The weekly closure just allows for agricultural practices to be done, typically we close Tuesday’s but during Christmas spring break thanksgiving we won’t because it’ll be busy.

It’s definitely a balance, of having a well conditioned course and a happy membership. Trust me as much as golfers hate aerated greens, crews don’t enjoy it either. It’s typically a very long couple days with lots of manual labor.

> @mallrat said:

> How many holes? What is aerated? Much depends on their practices after cores are pulled, IMO.

>

> My current course closes for 2 days and is 18 holes, 2 practice putting greens, and 1 nursery along with a 4 hole putting course. We start Sunday night doing the putters and putting course. We just pick up the cores though. My last course was 36 holes and they dragged the cores back in and that was an adventure. I, personally don’t like dragging back in what you just pulled out.

We have only 18 holes plus two spare par 3 holes that we put into rotation if necessary.

We also have a large practice area with separate bunker and chipping greens and two separate putting greens.

Those areas are usually done after the main aeration.

I do not believe that we drag the core as I have seen them pickup the cores.

Again I am not complaining about the length of time because they do such a great job and I think they do a lot of stuff to keep the course in top shape that other course may not do like re-leveling the green collars.

I also wonder if the variable weather conditions that we have in the Pacific Northwest means that they need to budget for additional days in case of the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

> @BNGL said:

> > @Golfnuck said:

> > BNGL

> > Timely question on aeration.

> > Our club closes the course for 4 days in the spring and 4 days in the fall to do the aeration.

> > Is this a reason amount of time for a private club?

> > I know that more than just the aeration will be done but we also open late on Mondays during the summer to allow for full course work.

> > I am not complaining because the course is in excellent shape and I would be willing to put up with more course closures to keep the course in great shape.

> >

> >

> The closure isn’t going to magically heal the surface any faster than if you opened the next day. But it does allow for some much needed TLC and work to be on the course without interfering with member’s round of golf. When I was in Orlando we closed for 2.5 days, typically closed on a Tuesday at noon, had all day Wednesday and all day Thursday to ourselves. It worked fine. Now I’m closed in the summers so we can beat the place up as much as possible.

>

> The weekly closure just allows for agricultural practices to be done, typically we close Tuesday’s but during Christmas spring break thanksgiving we won’t because it’ll be busy.

>

> It’s definitely a balance, of having a well conditioned course and a happy membership. Trust me as much as golfers hate aerated greens, crews don’t enjoy it either. It’s typically a very long couple days with lots of manual labor.

>

So it's May, at our course you can still see the holes from the very aeration performed very, very late last fall - probably 50% filled at most and that isn't an exaggeration. So, not surprisingly they didn't heal up at all before snow fell. Now that things have warmed up (btw, no additional sand this spring to fill the unfilled holes) grass will start growing, but like last year, once it covers the holes horizontally, we'll be able to push into those holes all year. Is there some readily available resource that would provide some guidance? Our superintendent has been taking care of golf courses forever, but we didn't have these issues until about 6 years ago when he started doing the greens. It's like waiting until things are done for the season is the goal (then its cold and the course is close to closing anyway) rather than doing something that has a chance of working, and I assume it can't work if you leave holes in the greens - they don't fill themselves. Maybe just ranting a bit, sorry, but wondering where some reference of best practices may be found.

Hawkeye: They need to topdress the greens with sand and drag/sweep the sand into the holes and throughout the green surface. It could be sandy for a few days, which members don't like, but it will be good in the long run. After that you could fertilize to help growth, and apply chemicals to promote lateral growth rater than vertical growth, depending on the type of grass you have. But topdressing is by far the most important.

This is a very easy problem to solve, it just takes some work and a few weeks to fill in.

Topdressing will also speed up the greens and make them smoother and firmer.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @BNGL said:

> > > @Golfnuck said:

> > > BNGL

> > > Timely question on aeration.

> > > Our club closes the course for 4 days in the spring and 4 days in the fall to do the aeration.

> > > Is this a reason amount of time for a private club?

> > > I know that more than just the aeration will be done but we also open late on Mondays during the summer to allow for full course work.

> > > I am not complaining because the course is in excellent shape and I would be willing to put up with more course closures to keep the course in great shape.

> > >

> > >

> > The closure isn’t going to magically heal the surface any faster than if you opened the next day. But it does allow for some much needed TLC and work to be on the course without interfering with member’s round of golf. When I was in Orlando we closed for 2.5 days, typically closed on a Tuesday at noon, had all day Wednesday and all day Thursday to ourselves. It worked fine. Now I’m closed in the summers so we can beat the place up as much as possible.

> >

> > The weekly closure just allows for agricultural practices to be done, typically we close Tuesday’s but during Christmas spring break thanksgiving we won’t because it’ll be busy.

> >

> > It’s definitely a balance, of having a well conditioned course and a happy membership. Trust me as much as golfers hate aerated greens, crews don’t enjoy it either. It’s typically a very long couple days with lots of manual labor.

> >

> So it's May, at our course you can still see the holes from the very aeration performed very, very late last fall - probably 50% filled at most and that isn't an exaggeration. So, not surprisingly they didn't heal up at all before snow fell. Now that things have warmed up (btw, no additional sand this spring to fill the unfilled holes) grass will start growing, but like last year, once it covers the holes horizontally, we'll be able to push into those holes all year. Is there some readily available resource that would provide some guidance? Our superintendent has been taking care of golf courses forever, but we didn't have these issues until about 6 years ago when he started doing the greens. It's like waiting until things are done for the season is the goal (then its cold and the course is close to closing anyway) rather than doing something that has a chance of working, and I assume it can't work if you leave holes in the greens - they don't fill themselves. Maybe just ranting a bit, sorry, but wondering where some reference of best practices may be found.

Some of that may depend on where you are located. My last course pulled cores in late fall. The greens wouldn’t heal over the winter and they would basically still be there in early spring when the course would reopen. Their philosophy was that basically leaving the holes somewhat open/exposed acted like pulling cores in fall and spring (I didn’t agree but they have been doing it for 15+ years). Once the grass starts growing and 2 or 3 topdresses everything was nice. This year with the really late winter the greens didn’t heal for a long time.

> @Galiant50 said:

> What route did you take to become a course superintendent? Can you give us a brief history? What colleges/courses would you recommend to further expertise in the field?

I can't speak for BNGL, but personally, I took the Carl Spackler home study classes....cinch bugs, manganese, ya know....while I was trying to get my credit score up

> @Galiant50 said:

> What route did you take to become a course superintendent? Can you give us a brief history? What colleges/courses would you recommend to further expertise in the field?

I have spoken with BNGL about this before and will let him address it but i’m a 2nd Assistant and kind of a right time and place thing for me. I worked there on the crew and got along really well with the Super and asked A LOT of questions and always told him my observations while working and golfing. When the position opened up I didn’t apply, but he asked me to. I managed restaurants for years so managing people comes easy to me. The way he put it was the crew respects and likes you, you work hard and want to learn. He said he could teach me what I need to know. While holding this job I am doing online courses for a 2 year degree and have gotten my applicators (spray) license.

There are 3 main options education wise, 4 yr, 2 yr or certificate. Each has its own merits.

• Like 1

> @mallrat said:

> > @Galiant50 said:

> > What route did you take to become a course superintendent? Can you give us a brief history? What colleges/courses would you recommend to further expertise in the field?

>

> I have spoken with BNGL about this before and will let him address it but i’m a 2nd Assistant and kind of a right time and place thing for me. I worked there on the crew and got along really well with the Super and asked A LOT of questions and always told him my observations while working and golfing. When the position opened up I didn’t apply, but he asked me to. I managed restaurants for years so managing people comes easy to me. The way he put it was the crew respects and likes you, you work hard and want to learn. He said he could teach me what I need to know. While holding this job I am doing online courses for a 2 year degree and have gotten my applicators (spray) license.

>

> There are 3 main options education wise, 4 yr, 2 yr or certificate. Each has its own merits.

>

Are any of those programs local to PDX? I know OSU is famous for their turf programs, how about one of the CC's?

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

OSU has an outstanding 4 yr program and the rumor is they will be launching a 4 yr online program. The other thing with OSU is you get an outstanding alumni network in the region.

I’m doing the Walla Walla online program which I have gotten great feedback from people who have done it. I believe the main instructor used to run the WSU program. She has a great reputation.

> @caniac6 said:

> I went back to school at NC State. I already had a four year degree, so they recommended the two year program. I would also suggest working at a course. The degree is great, and will give you technical and scientific knowledge, but hands on experience is just as important.

When were you there? Any chance you know Boo?

> @mallrat said:

> > @caniac6 said:

> > I went back to school at NC State. I already had a four year degree, so they recommended the two year program. I would also suggest working at a course. The degree is great, and will give you technical and scientific knowledge, but hands on experience is just as important.

>

> When were you there? Any chance you know Boo?

Graduated in 91. Don't know anyone named Boo.

> @mallrat said:

> BNGL, is there a tournament that you would recommend volunteering at or a Super that you would recommend volunteering with?

Just go with what’s close to you I wouldn’t make a special trip to work an event unless you were angling for a job there. Obviously Augusta would be huge, but that’s mostly alums and supers. But courses hosting big events (this years PGA for example) will hire interns for 8 months or so to do prep work and post work after the event.

Steve Ehrbahr (not sure of spelling off the top of my head) at Jupiter Hills is one of the best supers around. Chad Mark at Muirfield is another good one. Russ Myers at Southern Hills would be great to work with. Any big name club the super is going to be quality but those three in particular are terrific mentors in my opinion.

> @Go_Time said:

> Is there a preferred time of year to replace or lay down fairway sod? ie cut out the bad/dead spots and drop in fresh stuff?

Is the turf around the bad areas growing? If so go ahead and drop it in now before the heat of the summer starts so it can establish a bit before summer stress. Not saying you couldn’t lay it in the summer but your margin error is less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing the morning after a heavy rain, I found one green with a gas bubble. I’ve seen the same thing in fairways but can’t remember seeing it on a green before. I poked a hole with my divot tool and it went down. Is that something to mention to the super? Seems like the roots should be deeper, or the spring aerification didn’t do the job at that spot. But maybe it happens all the time, I just don’t see it.

> @howellhandmade said:

> Playing the morning after a heavy rain, I found one green with a gas bubble. I’ve seen the same thing in fairways but can’t remember seeing it on a green before. I poked a hole with my divot tool and it went down. Is that something to mention to the super? Seems like the roots should be deeper, or the spring aerification didn’t do the job at that spot. But maybe it happens all the time, I just don’t see it.

Uhm I would casually mention it if it was me as a player and I’d like to know as a superintendent. It’s nothing to serious, I used to have it all the time on fairways in Orlando haven’t seen it myself on greens but don’t see it as anything too bad. Basically what happens is the heavy rainfall inundates the soil profile and displaces gases faster than can be vented so the gases get trapped and push the turf up. Basically I used aeration to fix the problem, and topdressing with larger more course particle size.

@BNGL How often do you change hole locations? What is customary or is it all dependent upon wear around the hole?

The reason I ask, local private club that I can see on the way to work the holes have been in the same location for three days. Also, I used to play a league on a public course every Tuesday that used quadrants to move the holes. Seemed that we were always playing to the same/similar holes in the same quadrant.

Do supers ever take into consideration that if you play the course two days in a row or the same day each week that the golfer is playing to the same holes often?

> @smashdn said:

> @BNGL How often do you change hole locations? What is customary or is it all dependent upon wear around the hole?

>

> The reason I ask, local private club that I can see on the way to work the holes have been in the same location for three days. Also, I used to play a league on a public course every Tuesday that used quadrants to move the holes. Seemed that we were always playing to the same/similar holes in the same quadrant.

>

> Do supers ever take into consideration that if you play the course two days in a row or the same day each week that the golfer is playing to the same holes often?

At our course, our goal is to change the holes every 200 rounds played. How often we succeed at that is another matter, but a goal is a goal.

More recently, we have had such a crush around here since the weather has turned to ’nice’ that we have not been following such an ideal schedule. At present holes are being changed every 2-3 days, or as needed as the edges get worn. It’s actually surprising how quickly that happens. I was playing our course on one holiday when everyone was off and sent my super a picture of the hole edges. He was alarmed and asked me to change all the holes after my round at paid at double-time. Sadly right now we are far more reactionary than we’d like to be.

Under ideal circumstances each green has 3 sectors (red/yellow/black) and ideally we’d have 6/6/6 of each, each individual green rotating with each change. We have the problem (yay for Finnish weather) that many of our greens are in such bad shape we basically alternate between 2 locations right now because we don’t have enough live grass to put a hole anywhere else.

Not wanting to speak for my super, but I’m sure he considers things like changing holes for frequent players, but with how much trouble we are having providing a playable golf course at all, the day adherence the correct hole-moving schedule is achieved will be marked with great celebration and fanfare.