2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Terry Koehler - 'The' Wedge Guy or 'A' Wedge Guy?

archer1

I am a Brit and I think if you asked many UK golfers to name someone famous in wedge design, the answers would not go beyond Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland. Through WRX I know of Mike Taylor but I am not sure he is a real designer (i.e. someone who starts with a blank CAD screen). I think of him more as a shaper (i.e. someone who works, in his case 'magic', with a forged blank). Which brings me to my question re Terry Koehler.

In the US, is this chap really famous in the world of wedge design?

He is not shy about detailing his experience which, while extensive, does not seem to be quite first class. I have to add that when I read his Golf WRX articles, I am always a touch disappointed in the sense I was expecting more. Hence I really would like to know what the US Golf WRX members think of him.

My appreciation in advance of any and all responses.

> @archer1 said:

> I am a Brit and I think if you asked many UK golfers to name someone famous in wedge design, the answers would not go beyond Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland. Through WRX I know of Mike Taylor but I am not sure he is a real designer (i.e. someone who starts with a blank CAD screen). I think of him more as a shaper (i.e. someone who works, in his case 'magic', with a forged blank). Which brings me to my question re Terry Koehler.

>

> In the US, is this chap really famous in the world of wedge design?

>

> He is not shy about detailing his experience which, while extensive, does not seem to be quite first class. I have to add that when I read his Golf WRX articles, I am always a touch disappointed in the sense I was expecting more. Hence I really would like to know what the US Golf WRX members think of him.

>

> My appreciation in advance of any and all responses.

>

No, he's not. And his latest article was awful.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

To most people, just A guy who wants to be a Bob Vokey or Roger Cleveland. But to me, he's the guy that revived (and abandoned) Ben Hogan Golf.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @archer1 said:

> > I am a Brit and I think if you asked many UK golfers to name someone famous in wedge design, the answers would not go beyond Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland. Through WRX I know of Mike Taylor but I am not sure he is a real designer (i.e. someone who starts with a blank CAD screen). I think of him more as a shaper (i.e. someone who works, in his case 'magic', with a forged blank). Which brings me to my question re Terry Koehler.

> >

> > In the US, is this chap really famous in the world of wedge design?

> >

> > He is not shy about detailing his experience which, while extensive, does not seem to be quite first class. I have to add that when I read his Golf WRX articles, I am always a touch disappointed in the sense I was expecting more. Hence I really would like to know what the US Golf WRX members think of him.

> >

> > My appreciation in advance of any and all responses.

> >

>

> No, he's not. And his latest article was awful.

You're not kidding. That was bad. He must be getting ready to look for some more start up capital to spend. I'm trying to figure out if he meant this line is sarcasm or if he thinks people will forget if his revived Hogan line trumpeted lofts rather than numbers on the sole of clubs as a game changer in equipment. _"Did you know that the 1930s was also the decade that witnessed one of the greatest contributions to modern golf clubs, the numbered and matched set of irons?"_

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @Bad9 said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @archer1 said:

> > > I am a Brit and I think if you asked many UK golfers to name someone famous in wedge design, the answers would not go beyond Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland. Through WRX I know of Mike Taylor but I am not sure he is a real designer (i.e. someone who starts with a blank CAD screen). I think of him more as a shaper (i.e. someone who works, in his case 'magic', with a forged blank). Which brings me to my question re Terry Koehler.

> > >

> > > In the US, is this chap really famous in the world of wedge design?

> > >

> > > He is not shy about detailing his experience which, while extensive, does not seem to be quite first class. I have to add that when I read his Golf WRX articles, I am always a touch disappointed in the sense I was expecting more. Hence I really would like to know what the US Golf WRX members think of him.

> > >

> > > My appreciation in advance of any and all responses.

> > >

> >

> > No, he's not. And his latest article was awful.

>

> You're not kidding. That was bad. He must be getting ready to look for some more start up capital to spend. I'm trying to figure out if he meant this line is sarcasm or if he thinks people will forget if his revived Hogan line trumpeted lofts rather than numbers on the sole of clubs as a game changer in equipment. _"Did you know that the 1930s was also the decade that witnessed one of the greatest contributions to modern golf clubs, the numbered and matched set of irons?"_

Well, in all fairness, in the 19teens and 1920's people bought mashies, mashie niblicks, deep face mashies, jiggers, mid-irons, and they didn't necessarily match.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Ivyguy said:

> I mean, SCOR and the TK wedge lines were really good. There was some innovation there for sure.

>

> On the Mt. Rushmore of wedges..... I dunno about that.

>

> I think if TK is in that conversation, then the Artisan guys, JP and David Edel are there too.

I don't know if Koehler was involved but the sole on the SCOR and Hogan wedges was done by Zero Tolerance Golf back in the 90's. Their 58° Z Wedge was the best lob wedge I ever used.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I haven't read any articles beyond the first one or two when the headline mentioned something about wedge fitting and the main thrust of the article was a rather vanilla "hit different wedges, see what works best for you." Expertise indeed.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Don’t understand some of the the snarky responses above. Considering that the article in question was targeting players who don’t know a whole lot about wedges, particularly wedges from maybe 58 to 64, I thought he gave an excellent overview and advice for those folks. What exactly were you guys looking for him to say? Is there some delusion regarding the extent to which newer golfers or golfers with no in depth curiosity about wedge design have any any real appreciation for club making history from the 1930’s to the 1980’s? These derogatory postings seemed more like grudges or personal attacks rather than objective commentary.

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

> @SwingBlade said:

> Don’t understand some of the the snarky responses above. Considering that the article in question was targeting players who don’t know a whole lot about wedges, particularly wedges from maybe 58 to 64, I thought he gave an excellent overview and advice for those folks. What exactly were you guys looking for him to say? Is there some delusion regarding the extent to which newer golfers or golfers with no in depth curiosity about wedge design have any any real appreciation for club making history from the 1930’s to the 1980’s? These derogatory postings seemed more like grudges or personal attacks rather than objective commentary.

He didn't give anything. He parroted conventional golf wisdom that may, or may not, be true. Then added a caveat at the end that if you practice you'll get better. Why in the world would going from 58 to 60 make any difference? Who knows. Just something "he's observed". What does that even mean? He's watched a ton of high caps with 58s and a ton with 60s and the 60 group is demonstrably worse!??!

We come to WRX for experts' takes on issues. If you have a column called "The Wedge Guy" I'm going to be disappointed when the entire article is a copy and pasted wikipedia page on the history of the flange followed by "don't play anything over 58 without practicing it first." (<- I'd suggest you probably shouldn't play a 58 without practicing with it first, either).

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @SwingBlade said:

> > Don’t understand some of the the snarky responses above. Considering that the article in question was targeting players who don’t know a whole lot about wedges, particularly wedges from maybe 58 to 64, I thought he gave an excellent overview and advice for those folks. What exactly were you guys looking for him to say? Is there some delusion regarding the extent to which newer golfers or golfers with no in depth curiosity about wedge design have any any real appreciation for club making history from the 1930’s to the 1980’s? These derogatory postings seemed more like grudges or personal attacks rather than objective commentary.

>

> He didn't give anything. He parroted conventional golf wisdom that may, or may not, be true. Then added a caveat at the end that if you practice you'll get better. Why in the world would going from 58 to 60 make any difference? Who knows. Just something "he's observed". What does that even mean? He's watched a ton of high caps with 58s and a ton with 60s and the 60 group is demonstrably worse!??!

>

> We come to WRX for experts' takes on issues. If you have a column called "The Wedge Guy" I'm going to be disappointed when the entire article is a copy and pasted wikipedia page on the history of the flange followed by "don't play anything over 58 without practicing it first." (<- I'd suggest you probably shouldn't play a 58 without practicing with it first, either).

Well I don't always agree with PSG but I do here.

"Try as many wedges as you can and see what works for you"...wait what????

He’s basically known for a few niche brands over the years. Reid Lockhart I believe. Scor and then the revival of Hogan. He’s really a one trick pony with his wedge grind. It’s a good grind for some but not everyone. He is only known in small circles. The average guy wouldn’t know him. Vokey is well known, Cleveland, and some engineers from Ping. Although some might think of Karsten Solheim himself, although most of those guys are over 50

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @SwingBlade said:

> > Don’t understand some of the the snarky responses above. Considering that the article in question was targeting players who don’t know a whole lot about wedges, particularly wedges from maybe 58 to 64, I thought he gave an excellent overview and advice for those folks. What exactly were you guys looking for him to say? Is there some delusion regarding the extent to which newer golfers or golfers with no in depth curiosity about wedge design have any any real appreciation for club making history from the 1930’s to the 1980’s? These derogatory postings seemed more like grudges or personal attacks rather than objective commentary.

>

> He didn't give anything. He parroted conventional golf wisdom that may, or may not, be true. Then added a caveat at the end that if you practice you'll get better. Why in the world would going from 58 to 60 make any difference? Who knows. Just something "he's observed". What does that even mean? He's watched a ton of high caps with 58s and a ton with 60s and the 60 group is demonstrably worse!??!

>

> We come to WRX for experts' takes on issues. If you have a column called "The Wedge Guy" I'm going to be disappointed when the entire article is a copy and pasted wikipedia page on the history of the flange followed by "don't play anything over 58 without practicing it first." (<- I'd suggest you probably shouldn't play a 58 without practicing with it first, either).

Roger Cleveland also said the same thing that nobody but the best short game players should play anything above 58* due to the exponential amount of clubhead speed and quality of strike that is needed to gain any benefit from the higher loft.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I loved the large number who got Fitted in to 46 50 54 60ish full sets of Score all hyped up...and sold em soon after for 30 cents in the dollar.Real Infomercial Stuff.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @SwingBlade said:

>

>

Well that article got 166 likes and only 18 shanks ... just saying.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @SwingBlade said:

> > > Don’t understand some of the the snarky responses above. Considering that the article in question was targeting players who don’t know a whole lot about wedges, particularly wedges from maybe 58 to 64, I thought he gave an excellent overview and advice for those folks. What exactly were you guys looking for him to say? Is there some delusion regarding the extent to which newer golfers or golfers with no in depth curiosity about wedge design have any any real appreciation for club making history from the 1930’s to the 1980’s? These derogatory postings seemed more like grudges or personal attacks rather than objective commentary.

> >

> > He didn't give anything. He parroted conventional golf wisdom that may, or may not, be true. Then added a caveat at the end that if you practice you'll get better. Why in the world would going from 58 to 60 make any difference? Who knows. Just something "he's observed". What does that even mean? He's watched a ton of high caps with 58s and a ton with 60s and the 60 group is demonstrably worse!??!

> >

> > We come to WRX for experts' takes on issues. If you have a column called "The Wedge Guy" I'm going to be disappointed when the entire article is a copy and pasted wikipedia page on the history of the flange followed by "don't play anything over 58 without practicing it first." (<- I'd suggest you probably shouldn't play a 58 without practicing with it first, either).

>

> Well that article got 166 likes and only 18 shanks ... just saying.

His conclusion is what most people think is right (see Mahonie's post above). If you wrote a very well-researched article with a conclusion most disagree with you'd get a million shanks.

His writing, preparation, research and justification for the conclusion were useless. I have no idea if he's wrong or right about 58* being some sort of line but that article didn't make much of case for it. He may as well have written two lines. "Most people think its around 58, including almost all experts, but I'm not going to explain why. If you practice a lot and try out high loft wedges you might save strokes with those instead."

That was the entire article.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I listened to the podcast with him and enjoyed it. he had that grandpa folk'sy wisdom tone that was enjoyable to listen to. There are a few points where he sounded to me a bit bitter for lack of better term towards larger and more successful wedge OEM's. There were some great points about how much money people spend on wedges compared to other parts of their bag. That wedges tend to be an after thought. I agree with that.

Calling him the "wedge guy" may be a little stretch, but I don't think he gave himself that nickname so it is not fair to bash him for it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @srksi said:

> And Phil Rodgers?

One of the greatest short game instructors that ever lived. He also helped design the original Trusty Rusty. Yeah, I put him way above TK.

• Like 2

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

No he isn’t in the same category as Cleveland, Vokey, Rodgers.....but

His wedges are good. Scor was a good company and their service was excellent. The wedges were very good and they had some success. His grind I don’t think is earth shattering in anyway but it’s a very friendly grind that a lot of mid to high handicaps could benefit from.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @mogc60 said:

> No he isn’t in the same category as Cleveland, Vokey, Rodgers.....but

> His wedges are good. Scor was a good company and their service was excellent. The wedges were very good and they had some success. His grind I don’t think is earth shattering in anyway but it’s a very friendly grind that a lot of mid to high handicaps could benefit from.

I don’t disagree. Except the grind on a wedge is everything to me, and his grind does not work well for me, I just don’t like it. Back when he had a blog with Scor I jumped on and asked a serious question. He was in his high horse and talking about himself and his game. His answer to me was very dismissive. And I wasn’t being rude, in fact respectful. It came across as very arrogant, especially for someone who never really was able to keep a business afloat.

• Like 1

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly