Considering a Move to Florida...Where Should We Move?

bhj83

As someone who has lived in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale over the last 25 years, it gets hotter and hotter every summer. If you play between April 15th and October 15th, you have to play before 8AM or you will be miserable. I am really starting to miss the long cold winters and springs of the northeast. I would much rather play in 60 degree weather than the oppressive heat of Florida in the summer.

Everyone is different, I love living in Florida, travel for business all over the country and no place I would rather live.

Funny how different people are as California would be the last place I would live.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

> @jecarnl said:

> So, someone tell me about the Jacksonville area. The wife and I might be moving to the area in the next 2 months. We were both born and raised over in the Pensacola area but know very little about Jacksonville.

>

> Thanks

I've spent some time up there but someone who actually lives there will be able to provide more info. The Jax Beach/ Ponte Vedra Beach area is lovely. Sawgrass CC is real nice. Winters get really cold compared to South FL as you deal with US mainland weather patterns, but coming from the Pensacola area you know that already. Good luck with your move.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 4 weeks later...

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @markheardjr said:

> > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

>

> North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

> @dpb5031 said:

> > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

>

> Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

So you'd say look into WPB and Orlando?

Only been to Tampa, but loved it enough to consider a Florida move. Fleeing snow.

> @dpb5031 said:

>

> Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

Hell of a course, holy s***. Reasonable too.

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> >

> > Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

>

> **** of a course, holy ****. Reasonable too.

Awesome greens there too. Lots going on in Palm beach Gardens and Jupiter. Generally not cheap, but you can find bargains on the outskirts. Overall great area for sure...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @markheardjr said:

> > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> >

> > North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

>

> > @dpb5031 said:

> >

> > Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

>

> So you'd say look into WPB and Orlando?

> Only been to Tampa, but loved it enough to consider a Florida move. Fleeing snow.

My vote is for Orlando, but I'm biased. South Florida sucks.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > @markheardjr said:

> > > > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> > >

> > > North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

> >

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> > >

> > > Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

> >

> > So you'd say look into WPB and Orlando?

> > Only been to Tampa, but loved it enough to consider a Florida move. Fleeing snow.

>

> My vote is for Orlando, but I'm biased. South Florida sucks.

Why do you say that? Such a condensed population?

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> Why do you say that? Such a condensed population?

Thats the basic of it, but mostly....

Too many people

Barely any open space unless you go to the Everglades

Crime is terrible

Traffic is terrible at all times

Cost of living is high

The people are mostly terrible everywhere you go

Winter is even worse when the old folks from up north come and congest the place even further and make driving even worse

Real estate pricing is way over-inflated

TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE...did I say that twice?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > > @markheardjr said:

> > > > > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > > > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> > > >

> > > > North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

> > >

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > Alright, here's a curve ball for you all. What would you recommend (aside from Miami) for a guy in his mid 20's looking for golf and nightlife. B)

> > > >

> > > > Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

> > >

> > > So you'd say look into WPB and Orlando?

> > > Only been to Tampa, but loved it enough to consider a Florida move. Fleeing snow.

> >

> > My vote is for Orlando, but I'm biased. South Florida sucks.

>

We're all different. I'd never want to live in Orlando. Too much traffic, bunch of theme park and convention center tourists, very commercial, hotter in summer, colder in winter, far from the beach/ocean, etc. There are many places in Southeast FL I would not want to live, but plenty of great spots as well. I've spent significant time in many FL cities on both coasts over the past 30 years and in my view nothing compares to the North Palm Beach/PBG/Juno/Jupiter/Tequesta area, but it is expensive. Stuart and Vero Beach up the coast are nice too and definitely offer more bang for the buck. If you want South, Delray is a pretty cool spot, but much busier and congested than the others I mentioned...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Traffic in Orlando isn't bad. I lived in Boca Raton for 6 months and the traffic was much worse there than in Orlando. It's basically the logistics. You have far more open roads in Orlando. In south Florida, you have the turnpike and I-95. Everything else is small residential roads. And I hate driving in Miami because there's always somebody who thinks they are in the Fast and the Furious and has to make a hairpin turn around my bumper.

But in Orlando, the main traffic congestion is by Lake Buena Vista and I-4 by the Amway Center during rush hour. I-Drive is a pain, but it's really nothing that bad compared to South Florida.

South Florida is a bit tough unless you make a lot of money because it's mostly private clubs if you want to play anywhere decent. It's also where the hurricanes are likely to hit.

I found most of the people there to be friendly though and there's a lot to do if you can avoid being stuck in traffic. I just think there's a lot to do in the Orlando area at a significantly discounted rate.

RH

In all fairness, I wouldn't live in Miami or Boca on a bet. Juno, Jupiter, PBG, are a completely different deal, though public access golf is limited. There are many great courses, but it's true most are private and expensive/exclusive. If you want laid-back, Stuart, Jensen Beach and Vero are even more low key, and considerably more affordable.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > > @markheardjr said:

> > > >

> > > > North Orlando / Winter Park? UCF Nightlife downtown, gastropub scene in Winter Park. Plenty of courses in/around Orlando.

> > >

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > >

> > > > Tons of young good sticks at Bear Lakes in West Palm. 36 holes, and Koepka is a member. Lots of night life in either direction too

> > >

> > > So you'd say look into WPB and Orlando?

> > > Only been to Tampa, but loved it enough to consider a Florida move. Fleeing snow.

> >

> > My vote is for Orlando, but I'm biased. South Florida sucks.

>

Lived in Palm Beach Gardens for 4 years in my early 20's, currently in Naples and have been for the past 5 years.

Jupiter all the way down to Fort Laurderdale would be a nice fit for East Coast options if partying/nightlife and golf are your thing. Tampa is the only place that compares on the West Coast.

I will second joining Bear Lakes if you choose East Coast (More specifically, WPB, PBG, Boynton, or Jupiter area). Two great golf courses, cash game every week, and every stud who is a stud up and coming plays out of there. Good friend of mine was one of them, and always had a blast when I got to play with the membership there. Be prepared, as most people in this area are transplants from NY/NJ/CT area. Comes with a different mentality.

IMO, I would't even consider Orlando. I-4 is the worst road in Florida, right up there with I-95. At least in South Florida, you have an off season where the traffic dies down for 6 months. Anyone I have ever known that wasn't born in Orlando, and moved to Orlando, is happy to not live there anymore. Lets not mention the nightmare of traveling in and out of MCO. PBI is the 3rd easiest airport I have ever flown out of, behind RSW and Quad Cities.

If you have any questions or want suggestions, shoot me a PM. I'm a former Golf Professional and a current Membership Director. Can point you in the right direction if need be.

• Like 1
Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

• 2 weeks later...

> @MaxBuck said:

> No criticism intended, but reading this thread just reinforces my comfort in my own decision to retire to California rather than Florida. I'm happy for the people who enjoy Florida, but it's just not my thing.

California has lower humidity, more sunshine, better weather and more varied topography - mountains, deserts, beaches, etc. That being said the politicians totally screwed up this state. It's by far the best state so long as taxes and politics are not considered. I'll just leave it at that not to go too deep into it. FL is fine.

> @SCalGolfer said:

> > @MaxBuck said:

> > No criticism intended, but reading this thread just reinforces my comfort in my own decision to retire to California rather than Florida. I'm happy for the people who enjoy Florida, but it's just not my thing.

>

> California has lower humidity, more sunshine, better weather and more varied topography - mountains, deserts, beaches, etc. That being said the politicians totally screwed up this state. It's by far the best state so long as taxes and politics are not considered. I'll just leave it at that not to go too deep into it. FL is fine.

When you move to FL from a high tax state like CA or NJ it's like getting a raise just for moving...lol!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @SCalGolfer said:

> > > @MaxBuck said:

> > > No criticism intended, but reading this thread just reinforces my comfort in my own decision to retire to California rather than Florida. I'm happy for the people who enjoy Florida, but it's just not my thing.

> >

> > California has lower humidity, more sunshine, better weather and more varied topography - mountains, deserts, beaches, etc. That being said the politicians totally screwed up this state. It's by far the best state so long as taxes and politics are not considered. I'll just leave it at that not to go too deep into it. FL is fine.

>

> When you move to FL from a high tax state like CA or NJ it's like getting a raise just for moving...lol!

Absolutely, especially if you can keep your same income. Just have to keep the NYers from doing to FL what they did to CA.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It will be 99* in Maryland Friday. So much for that anymore. A couple of things to mention about Florida, insurance costs are high and traffic is h.....! I honestly could not do the traffic in Florida. I am from Florida and the traffic will keep it that way. I was raised in Sarasota and it is beautiful. Lido Key is awesome.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 3 weeks later...

Bradenton is a great community with affordable enough housing (think Overland Park, Lee’s Summit). It’s 45 minutes from downtown Tampa and 30 min from St Pete.

For whatever reason, we don’t get the amount of storms they get in St Pete and Tampa. Golf is a plenty and they are building more courses now.

If you get to looking and have more questions, let me know!

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

For me I would move to the Naples area. My brother lives there and it's great. Tons of golf and the city has a fair bit of diversity as it's sort of a melting pot of people from various countries that visit or have a home their. Plus the sunsets are great.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> For me I would move to the Naples area. My brother lives there and it's great. Tons of golf and the city has a fair bit of diversity as it's sort of a melting pot of people from various countries that visit or have a home their. Plus the sunsets are great.

Great area. Btw, I just finished building 2 interior braces for my garage door to help prevent the garage door from blowing in. My neighbor had a great idea. Attach the braces to the garage door w’ double 36” heavy-duty cable ties. Helps prevent garage door blow-out. My generator has been recently serviced, runs fine and have plenty of fuel, too. Just in time for hurricane season. Be prepared if moving here.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in St Johns County just south of Jacksonville (a suburb). I have a 9 year old and 12 year old. They are able to ride their bikes to a great school.

I work from home as well and can be on the first tee of 3 golf courses in less than 15 minutes. That allows me to play twice a week after work during the summer. Then play more courses on the weekend by expanding my travel area by 20 minutes with tremendous golf in an hour radius north or south on I 95. Some good local deals are always available.

From a family standpoint, there are probably too many sports leagues for the kids. Always something going on. The neighborhoods are very family oriented and typically pretty fun as all your neighbors will have a couple kids too.

Activities: beach, football games downtown, 2 hours to Orlando, The Players.

Thanks for the great input, everyone. We actually decided to stay put in Kansas but I did get to move to a very nice semi private golf community about 10 mins west of my old house. Finally have a golf cart in my garage and just got done hitting range balls on my lunch break.

I hope this thread will help others who are considering moving to FL. We may do it eventually but it won't be for a while now.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Recommendation = move anywhere BUT Florida.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips