2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

> @MuskieCy said:

> > @FLOGMR said:

> > 73 years "young"...still playing off a H'cap that ranges between 1-4...currently a 3.4 at the start of this season...... Had full hip replacement surgery 6 weeks ago so not going to post any scores for a few more weeks :/

> I'll be 62 in October. My left hip turned 9 on April 30th, my left will be 3 on August 8th. Two railroad spikes, two trailer hitches and 6 lag screws and NO PAIN.

>

>

Man you are the real life Bionic Man

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

67 years old with a left knee replacement and right shoulder replacement (right knee replacement pending). My game relies on finding the fairway and keeping it in play (12 handicapper). I rotate a lot of irons thru the bag, but the consistent set up is a driver that I can hit straight, a lofted FW that I can advance the ball in play, some hybrids down to 27* loft and then 7i to wedges for scoring.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Your club requirements are what you need - not all younger players swing it 110, not all older players swing it 80.

I have two swings - one on tight-hip days, one on loose-hip days. - Ball flies longer on loose hip days - My doc says I'll need to get my arthritic right hip replaced, but not too soon! (I'm 68 --- Current new hips last about 25 years, and he's concerned my replaced hip would go out around age 93!)

On loose hip days, the iron shots go a club longer, and I'm more fluid overall. I think I have the equipment I need, I just need to get a trainer or take yoga classes to keep my balance and core muscles in shape. If I get a new hip, I would follow up with a full-bag fitting.

Little items:

* Used to stand 5-9, now I'm only 5-8. I've been pulling my FWs lately - maybe shafts need to be half-inch shorter since I'm "closer to the ground" now. Trim would flatten lie.

* I have good days and bad days with the three-wedge set-up. Weak spot seems to be 3/4 wedges - it's just hard to keep distance consistent from "10:30" position.

* If I go back to four wedges, I'd need to drop a bridge club. Keep 4W + 7W / put hybrid shaft in 4i and drop 4H? Or drop 4i and add a degree of loft to 4H?

I retire at end of May, so I'll have a bit more time to tweak bag and swing.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am 80 years old. I go to the gym 3 days a week and play 9 holes 4 days a week. I play:

Wishon 771 CSI irons w Regular White Graphite Shafts 5-PW, GW

Wishon 919 THI Driver 13* with Regular White Graphite Shaft 44.5"

Callaway XR16 4 Wood with Fujikura Speeder Senior Shaft

Callaway X2 Hot 7 Wood with stock Regular Shaft

Callaway #4 & #5 Hybrids with stock Senior Shafts

Taylormade 56* Milled Grind Sand Wedge with stock True Temper S200 Shaft

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Putter

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > I was fit for this entire set up just this year as I turn 60 next week.

> > All regular flex shafts.

> > G410 10.5 driver

> > 5,7,9 FW

> > 5,6 hybrid

> > 7-P irons

> > 50,54,58 wedges

> > Putter

> > Lots of Headcovers ?

> > aikqdp6sr544.jpeg

> >

>

> Cheeze Whiz old buddy you are catching me LOL

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > G410 10.5 driver

> > 5,7,9 FW

> > 5,6 hybrid

> > 7-P irons

> > 50,54,58 wedges

> > Putter

> > Lots of Headcovers ?

> > aikqdp6sr544.jpeg

> >

>

> Cheeze Whiz old buddy you are catching me LOL

Ha Ha...well then. That's a helluva good neighborhood to be in ?

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

62, Retired Navy, Work from home in Cybersecurity, hi-capper

G400 Max, G400 5 wood, G400 3 hybrid, G700 5 to UW, Glide 54 - all Graphite R flex

Glide 60, Circa 62 no. 6

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver @ 12.0º Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w @ 21.5º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h @ 23.0º / 5h @ 27.0º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag: Ping Eye2+ 3-SW Graphite

I’m 67 in a few days. I now have 10.5 driver, 5 w, 3-4 h, 5-6 miz flihi, miz MP4 7-w. Irons, flihi have 110 gram shafts. Two bionic eyes, about to get back in the gym.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I have now turned 60 and have enough screws, plates, etc. to keep two arms together after both experienced what the orthopedic surgeon called catastrophic compound fractures. I don't know many that live 6 decades though and remain injury free. In 21,900 days of living, sh** is probably going to happen :-) Current ave. driver SS is 105.

I usually play with the senior members one day a week from the senior tees, and I usually play one day a week from the tips with our assistant pro. The scores don't vary that much between the two though the slope jumps from 112 to 120. I really feel the senior tees bring more trouble for my driver though the tips will challenge my distance if my driver is not on.

The biggest thing for my game has been moving to either Recoil F4 shafts or Steelfiber 80i Regular flex shafts. The pain with impact of the turf is pretty much gone, and distance with the irons is a tiny bit further than it was 30 years ago. Technology has kept me in this game longer than I thought possible!

My 4i is now a driving iron and besides that nothing had significantly changed but my shafts.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

At 66, I finally went to Super Game Improvement irons (G400 a few years ago, but should have done it earlier) and a gradual change from stiff to regular flex shafts and that's about it. My driver is the G400 Max set to 11.5* and I can still "bomb" it 240yds although I overpowered the stock shaft (Alta in R flex) and switched to a Kuro Kage Silver (still R flex but with a stiffer tip, really made a difference). I've been playing 5~Gap for at least a decade. I play the BS B300RX which is great. Since I retired, I play with the Torrey Pines Men's club and went from an old employee to a young club member! I play with many guys that hit driver on 150yd par 3's. But so many guys haven't had lessons and don't lag with their swings. All arms. It is the biggest factor that contributes to short drives and other shots as well.

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

57 and my set is as follows:

Rogue sz 9* hzrdus yellow 6.0

Rogue 3+ 13* hzrdus yellow 6.0

TM M3 5 wood Mitsubishi blue tensi stiff

Ping Anser hybrid 20* stiff ping shaft

Ping G irons DG Tour S-400 5-GW

Glide 54 & 60 stock steel cfs shaft stiff

To be honest I usually score better when I just put a 56 TM milled in there....

> @newbsauce said:

> My friends say my 13.5 degree driver and 4W / 7W are for old dudes. :D

Ha Ha play what ever works. Back in the day when I could really hit a ball and play I carried and could hit a 1 iron but still carried a little Northwestern 6 wood ( around 24*) got some odd looks and comments there. Kinda do the same thing today> I still carry and hit long irons but I do have a little Adams 23* hybrid. On occasion when the wind is bad I will pull the 3 iron and put a 1 iron in. Yeah I can still hit one but not as good as I used to. And back in the old days I carried a persimmon 4 wood never could hit a 3 wood all that well. Come to think about it I carry what I call a 4 wood now which is a 16* Adams. What is funny is the only 3 wood I could ever hit was an old Cally Steelhead 13* with a UST Pro Force Gold 65 shaft. Carried that for 13 years until a couple of years ago when I got too old to swing that stiff shaft and my SS slowed to where I could not elevate a 13* any longer off the deck. Like I said let the clubs do the talking and play what works

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Just turned 65 and float between 7-9 hdcp. I have moved to graphite in the irons and added the 4 and 5 hybrid. Fitter put in lightweight stiff graphite in my irons and lightweight stiff Tensei in my TS2 for control.

These shafts along with the high launch Bassara in my hybrids help me get

a higher launch than I would with my old steel shaft irons.

One thing I like about the AP1’s is they are game improvement with out looking like super game improvement shovels.

1euo8uswsjz5.jpeg

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

That 48* wedge would be my best friend around the greens! When I started many years ago, I did not carry a driver at all, and teed up with a 3 wood. kept me in play and wasn't that much shorter. Then the drivers got better, and finally put one in the bag.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Turning 64 in July, still able to get 100-102 mph S/S out of my Tensei Pro-O & Ping & finally got my bag were I like it.

rxdwlfiscj4x.jpg

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

> @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> I was fit for this entire set up just this year as I turn 60 next week.

> All regular flex shafts.

> G410 10.5 driver

> 5,7,9 FW

> 5,6 hybrid

> 7-P irons

> 50,54,58 wedges

> Putter

> Lots of Headcovers ?

> aikqdp6sr544.jpeg

>

Nice bag CG2! I think you posted you went to TXG last summer.....how did the specs from that fitting match up to this one?

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @jjfcpa said:

> I'm definitely a senior golfer at 71 years old. Here's my bag setup and like the OP, I've spent a lot of money getting to this point and feel pretty good about my current bag, but with money in my pocket, there's always room for improvement. Considering the PXG 0211's.

>

> Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5

> Epic Flash - Heavenwood and 3w

> Callway Rogue X - 4h

> Cobra F9 - 5i - PW

> Callaway MD4 - 48, 54, and 58

> Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> Oncore Elixir

>

> As you can see, I'm not a brand fanboy. I go with what seems to work for me.

Ok, I changed my bag a little. Now playing the following irons and putter. Had the irons since last Fall but just pulled them the other day and they are solid. The putter I've used on and off for the last 3 or 4 months and just decided it is a little better with the close in putts (less than 8 feet). Just feel really confident with it. Played 9 holes today and shot a 41 with 13 putts.

Srixon Z585 - 4i - PW (UST Recoil 780 ES senior shafts)

Odyssey Stroke Labs One putter

I am always looking for the next best thing, and have decided to chill for awhile and get used to the set I now have. Glad to see your game is doing well. those Srixon irons have quite a following. I think Odyssey has hit a home run with there latest putters.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I’m 65. For the last two years I’ve played:

Driver: Adams 9088UL (S)

Woods: Ping G SF Tec 3 & 5 ®

Hybrids: Ping G 4 & 5 ®

Irons: Ping G 6-U (R-soft stepped)

Wedges: Ping Glide 54*/58* ®

Putter: Ping Sigma G Darby

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

> @XHoop24 said:

> > G410 10.5 driver

> > 5,7,9 FW

> > 5,6 hybrid

> > 7-P irons

> > 50,54,58 wedges

> > Putter

> > Lots of Headcovers ?

> > aikqdp6sr544.jpeg

> >

>

> Nice bag CG2! I think you posted you went to TXG last summer.....how did the specs from that fitting match up to this one?

> @XHoop24 said:

> > G410 10.5 driver

> > 5,7,9 FW

> > 5,6 hybrid

> > 7-P irons

> > 50,54,58 wedges

> > Putter

> > Lots of Headcovers ?

> > aikqdp6sr544.jpeg

> >

>

> Nice bag CG2! I think you posted you went to TXG last summer.....how did the specs from that fitting match up to this one?

Thanks. You're correct I did go there last summer and played the 585 until last month.

This was done at PING and is for a season long review, Shaft wise came up with the same shaft. The 410 obviously aren't 585 soft. But they play about the same distance wise and height.

Biggest difference was going to the 3 FW and 2hybrids.

I feel the G410+ is a big improvement over the 400 Max. I think it's a bit longer and the draw setting helps take a couple yards off the fade.

Things are finally coming together with the new setup. Shot 87 today which for a 18.1 isn't too bad.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

61.5 yrs old. Just added 7 wood and 5 hybrid to bag. Will likely pull 5 iron out. May add 6 hybrid. I am impressed with number of all Ping bags in this thread.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

> @RainShadow said:

> Am I a senior? 57 yo. Don't feel like a senior most days.

> I play stiff shafts in everything except my G410 3hyb. Ping Tour 85 that was fit by Ping.

> Clubs in signature.

sorry 62 + to qualify.

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

EBE 63 in July. Before I get into my bag makeup, I can't believe not one post of any SENIORS playing XXIO woods. I change golf equipment way too often. EXCEPT my XXIO woods. Can't replace them but I centainly try and often. XXIO driver, 3W and

3 & 4 hybreds have been in the bag for 4 years. My golf buddies can't believe it. Not that I havent tried. Just had a full bag fitting at Champions Golf (Master PGA fitters?).

They found better numbers in the irons but when it got to the woods not entierly the case. Hit numerous hybreds but couldn't beat the XXIO numbers. Three (3) wood, they got better heigth and dispersion with the Ping 410 but jury is still out on that..?? As soon as he got the numbers on my XXIO driver, he said for your club head speed, I cant beat those numbers.

I just cant get the XXIO woods out of the bag. I have tired numerous times.

Driver XXIO 9.5, stock stiff

3W XXIO, stock stiff

3 & 4 Hybred, stock stiff

5-GW IRONs Ping G410 & Ping forged wedges 54* & 58*

I have only had the Ping 410's for a week and just picked up the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro's yesterday. Gonna play both for 2 to 4 weeks unless it just shows to be a no-brainer decision. I have had 2 range sessions and 2 nine hole rounds with the 410's.

Its way early yet, but they are jaw dropping. Heigth, dispersion and distance I still dont believe is real. Will be dating Miss Mizuno this week, today. Ok Ill be two-timing for who knows how long.. Both in Modus3 105 stiff, soft stepped 1 time.

FOREEEE

• Like 4

Current collection

D, 3W,5W,2H,3H,4H,5H, G400

6-UW Irons G410, 54,58,60 Glide Stealth

All with Reg graphite shafts (alta CB)

Current mood - Driver can go, use 3 wood. 2 and 3h can go. 6 iron can go replace with G410 6h (in fact I am thinking of getting G410 4&5 hybrids to enable adjustments)

Carry distances D 202, 3W 190, 5H 160, 6I 155, PW 112

AGE 58, H/C 18.2

I'm 63. I have S flex shafts in the M4 driver 12* turned as low as it will go, in the Epic 15* and in the H1 hybrids. In the PXG irons, I have R flex i70 steelfiber shafts thru gap wedge and the vokeys have stock shafts but I'm going to reshaft them to match the irons. I had the putter fit at Club Champion and it was definitely worth the fitting cost.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft