2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing persimmon and classic blades, day in, day out.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > Now on the persimmon end I do not play those as much because I hit the metal woods further and straighter. Now if I am seriously practicing I will throw one of my persimmon drivers in the bag.

> > >

> > > The main reason I don't take my persimmons out as often as I do are two folds.

> > > One, they are hard to be replaced, they're some old persimmons floating around but, to find the exact replacement will be difficult.

> > > Two, every season ends had to do maintenance work on them to preserve them. That's the main reason why my father drifted away from the golf clubs made with the persimon and hard wood.

> > >

> > > Of course the persimmon driver will yield shorted distance but , I sort of enjoy the 210-230 drive shorter by at least 20 yards than the 460 cc titanium drivers with adjustable hosel.....

> > >

> > > It reminded me of the time with my father.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I assume you are a righty---- If you ever need any more persimmon drivers I have plenty and am willing to share for free---- The main thing for me in saving them is keeping them from being destroyed by the shredder--- All of mine are basically gamers except the one blonde Penna which has never struck a ball----- Me I lose more than 20 yards with persimmon versus metal more like 40 yards

>

> Big STU, you're generous and kind. Only if I live a little closer.

> I used to refinish my own persimmon woods ( not the take apart complete restoration, just carefully refinish the surface for preservation).

> I will lose more driver distance with the persimmon if comparing to my gamer , maybe close to 30 yards. Back then, If I nut one drive will be just about 250 yards. the average was more like 220-230. But , playing from a forward tee with the old school golf clubs have a different level of enjoyment. This will only be realized by golfers whom had played in the pre-1980 era. Kids today will never know the joy of play that type of golf game.

>

> Anyway, I'm glad we know someone like you whom preserved the old traditional golf clubs. Enjoy your days off to be on the golf course. I'm on schedule to get back on the driving range in about a month=month and a half and hopefully will be able to start walking the golf course before the Summer ends. If not, I'll try to work on some oldies and watch my friends on the driving range as a second pair of eyes for them.

Hey I believe in playing it forward. You would not believe the stuff folks on here have sent me for free. The part you mentioned about kids not enjoying that type of game I have my own saying. They will never know the sting of missing a blade 2 iron on a crisp day nor will they enjoy the feel of hitting the same 2 iron pure

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @"BIG STU" said:

> Hey I believe in playing it forward. You would not believe the stuff folks on here have sent me for free. The part you mentioned about kids not enjoying that type of game I have my own saying. They will never know the sting of missing a blade 2 iron on a crisp day nor will they enjoy the feel of hitting the same 2 iron pure

Yes, one of the best feeling from my golf memory were the purred long irons shots. Nothing like it, But of course, my purred 2 iron back then was like 205-210. Kids today can do that with their 5 iron.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

>

> > Hey I believe in playing it forward. You would not believe the stuff folks on here have sent me for free. The part you mentioned about kids not enjoying that type of game I have my own saying. They will never know the sting of missing a blade 2 iron on a crisp day nor will they enjoy the feel of hitting the same 2 iron pure

>

> Yes, one of the best feeling from my golf memory were the purred long irons shots. Nothing like it, But of course, my purred 2 iron back then was like 205-210. Kids today can do that with their 5 iron.

>

>

LOL which has about the same loft as our old 2 or 3 iron and besides we had balata balls too

• Like 2

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > Now on the persimmon end I do not play those as much because I hit the metal woods further and straighter. Now if I am seriously practicing I will throw one of my persimmon drivers in the bag.

> > > >

> > > > The main reason I don't take my persimmons out as often as I do are two folds.

> > > > One, they are hard to be replaced, they're some old persimmons floating around but, to find the exact replacement will be difficult.

> > > > Two, every season ends had to do maintenance work on them to preserve them. That's the main reason why my father drifted away from the golf clubs made with the persimon and hard wood.

> > > >

> > > > Of course the persimmon driver will yield shorted distance but , I sort of enjoy the 210-230 drive shorter by at least 20 yards than the 460 cc titanium drivers with adjustable hosel.....

> > > >

> > > > It reminded me of the time with my father.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I assume you are a righty---- If you ever need any more persimmon drivers I have plenty and am willing to share for free---- The main thing for me in saving them is keeping them from being destroyed by the shredder--- All of mine are basically gamers except the one blonde Penna which has never struck a ball----- Me I lose more than 20 yards with persimmon versus metal more like 40 yards

> >

> > Big STU, you're generous and kind. Only if I live a little closer.

> > I used to refinish my own persimmon woods ( not the take apart complete restoration, just carefully refinish the surface for preservation).

> > I will lose more driver distance with the persimmon if comparing to my gamer , maybe close to 30 yards. Back then, If I nut one drive will be just about 250 yards. the average was more like 220-230. But , playing from a forward tee with the old school golf clubs have a different level of enjoyment. This will only be realized by golfers whom had played in the pre-1980 era. Kids today will never know the joy of play that type of golf game.

> >

> > Anyway, I'm glad we know someone like you whom preserved the old traditional golf clubs. Enjoy your days off to be on the golf course. I'm on schedule to get back on the driving range in about a month=month and a half and hopefully will be able to start walking the golf course before the Summer ends. If not, I'll try to work on some oldies and watch my friends on the driving range as a second pair of eyes for them.

>

> Hey I believe in playing it forward. You would not believe the stuff folks on here have sent me for free. The part you mentioned about kids not enjoying that type of game I have my own saying. They will never know the sting of missing a blade 2 iron on a crisp day nor will they enjoy the feel of hitting the same 2 iron pure

Yeah, and the feel of an off center hit on that 2 iron blade on a 40 degree morning, Ouch, my hands hurt just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Played a beautiful course in Riverside CA Wednesday ,Oak Quarry with a couple other classic lovers,if you ever are in So Cal you need to play this course

we played it at about 6300

From left

Set I played Spalding Syncrodyne SS restored irons 2-Wedge TP Mills putter Ben Hogan Persimmon driver 6 wood and 653 3 wood, red Spalding bag

Spalding Irons are sold, Kirasdad hit them and fell in love

WRX'rv Kirasdad had the Hogan Round soles, Macgregor driver with aluminum insert and 5 wood with missing insert, we never did find it!! Bullseye Putter Thrift store $2 Jones bag

Other player had Byron Nelson persimmon woods from the 40's, M75 Colokrom irons and iron master putter, 30's leather bag

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

• Like 3

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @memphishorn said:

> I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

>

If you only play them once a year, can I have them for the other 364 days...? :D

Beautiful looking set. I hope you have/had a good round with them.

• Like 2

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @memphishorn said:

> > I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

> >

>

> If you only play them once a year, can I have them for the other 364 days...? :D

>

> Beautiful looking set. I hope you have/had a good round with them.

Maybe after today’s 78 I should try it more often!

• Like 1

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @memphishorn said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @memphishorn said:

> > > I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > If you only play them once a year, can I have them for the other 364 days...? :D

> >

> > Beautiful looking set. I hope you have/had a good round with them.

>

> Maybe after today’s 78 I should try it more often!

I may be repeating myself within this thread, if so, my apologies...

I tend to score better with persimmons or laminates in my bag> @Johnny_Fairway said:

> > @Jiggered said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> >

> > >

> > > In the nature of a for whatever it's worth comment...

> > >

> > > I've not found persimmons more difficult to hit straight. In fact, I've found them to hit straighter than modern sticks. It's a bit puzzling to me, knowing about MOI and all the fun. They're a bit shorter, but not that much so for me.

> >

> > I know here you're coming from NRJyzr, it is easy to spray metal drivers around, but I believe that's because players tend to go after them with everything they've got.

> > When I hit a persimmon I focus more on quality of strike and so don't swing as hard as I do with a metal.

> > If I use that same focus when hitting a metal it's very easy to bunt one down the middle, and still get a good distance.

> >

> >

>

> My guess is shaft length plays into it too. The off-the-rack shaft length of a modern driver is difficult for me to handle, as I imagine it is for others. My hickory or a persimmon seems much more manageable.

I've been playing my Ti drivers at 43.5" or even 43.25" the last couple years, and have generally used 44" for a maximum for over a decade. I've also used steel shafts in Ti drivers, at shorter lengths. I still hit the persimmons/laminates straighter.

It could be something about me, seeing that larger clubhead behind the ball, that has me swinging differently. {shrug}

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @memphishorn said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @memphishorn said:

> > > I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > If you only play them once a year, can I have them for the other 364 days...? :D

> >

> > Beautiful looking set. I hope you have/had a good round with them.

>

> Maybe after today’s 78 I should try it more often!

In 2008, I decided to return to an experiment I'd done a few years earlier, and put persimmons/laminates in the bag full time, for several months. At the time, I was an 11.0 index.

Three months later, when I finally put a metal wood back in the bag, I was a 7.9 index. The only change I made over those three months was using those old school woods.

It makes a guy think.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

One of the things that helped me was the old MT split soles. While I had to hit 2 more clubs than normal the weight of the steel shaft and forged heads made my swing smoother with better contact.

Not ready to abandon my everyday set but I might sneak a few short irons in the bag.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @memphishorn said:

> I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

>

Wish I had seen this sooner--- I still have my old man's set of FC-4000s and one of his drivers which is a keyhole Macgregor. I did play my vintage stuff Saturday which was a set of Maxfli Aussie blades I acquired a while back along with my Power Bilt driver and keyhole 4 wood. I am really embarrassed to say I have had those irons close to 6 months and forgot about them. 2 thru PW missing the 9 iron. No problem I built up a brand new SMT forged 9 iron head I had laying around. Fell in love with that set man they hit good about like my Kyoei forged KZGs . Darn things hit like butter. Never did hit the SMT did not need it. Had to dial them in some and ended up putting about 4 grams of lead tape on each one. played the back side first and shot 42 then on the front I had it down to -2 after 6 holes then went bogey par bogey with a 36 total = 78. A far as strictly vintage I may have cheated some for a SW I had a Ping Eye 2 and a Lob wedge I had a Ping Zing. Did find out one thing those Taylor Made Project a balls go like a rocket off of persimmon. I got 2 doz last year by renewing my golf membership and had them laying around so I threw 3 in the bag. Putted with an Anser I found on the pile at work. The neck was bent so I eyeball straightened it out and putted well with it on our punched scorched crusty greens. My 2 birdies were kick ins and made both of them hitting the Ping PW which is 52*. Shot the same score from the mid tees Sunday using my modern stuff go figure

edit--- Just went on ironfinder and found out those Aussie blades are 2001-02

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @memphishorn said:

> > I play Persimons and blades every Fathers Day because the MacGregor MT Tourney persimons were my Dads. The irons are mine, Doing again tomorrow.92oi6yx8tv39.jpeg

> >

>

> Wish I had seen this sooner--- I still have my old man's set of FC-4000s and one of his drivers which is a keyhole Macgregor. I did play my vintage stuff Saturday which was a set of Maxfli Aussie blades I acquired a while back along with my Power Bilt driver and keyhole 4 wood. I am really embarrassed to say I have had those irons close to 6 months and forgot about them. 2 thru PW missing the 9 iron. No problem I built up a brand new SMT forged 9 iron head I had laying around. Fell in love with that set man they hit good about like my Kyoei forged KZGs . Darn things hit like butter. Never did hit the SMT did not need it. Had to dial them in some and ended up putting about 4 grams of lead tape on each one. played the back side first and shot 42 then on the front I had it down to -2 after 6 holes then went bogey par bogey with a 36 total = 78. A far as strictly vintage I may have cheated some for a SW I had a Ping Eye 2 and a Lob wedge I had a Ping Zing. Did find out one thing those Taylor Made Project a balls go like a rocket off of persimmon. I got 2 doz last year by renewing my golf membership and had them laying around so I threw 3 in the bag. Putted with an Anser I found on the pile at work. The neck was bent so I eyeball straightened it out and putted well with it on our punched scorched crusty greens. My 2 birdies were kick ins and made both of them hitting the Ping PW which is 52*. Shot the same score from the mid tees Sunday using my modern stuff go figure

> edit--- Just went on ironfinder and found out those Aussie blades are 2001-02

Only 4g of lead tape, Big_Stu?

Talking of playing EYE2 clubs in vintage setups, I know what you mean about it feeling like cheating. I sometimes throw in a BeCU EYE2 L wedge and wonder about the "purity" of it as it goes against the "persimmon and blades" idea behind playing the older stuff. Then again, I was given it back in about 1989, which makes it at least 30 years old, and I reckon that's good enough for me. To look at it from another perspective, it just shows how far ahead Karsten Solheim was with his designs.

There's also no better club for getting out of fine, dry sand, in my opinion.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @memphishorn said:

> > >

> >

> > Wish I had seen this sooner--- I still have my old man's set of FC-4000s and one of his drivers which is a keyhole Macgregor. I did play my vintage stuff Saturday which was a set of Maxfli Aussie blades I acquired a while back along with my Power Bilt driver and keyhole 4 wood. I am really embarrassed to say I have had those irons close to 6 months and forgot about them. 2 thru PW missing the 9 iron. No problem I built up a brand new SMT forged 9 iron head I had laying around. Fell in love with that set man they hit good about like my Kyoei forged KZGs . Darn things hit like butter. Never did hit the SMT did not need it. Had to dial them in some and ended up putting about 4 grams of lead tape on each one. played the back side first and shot 42 then on the front I had it down to -2 after 6 holes then went bogey par bogey with a 36 total = 78. A far as strictly vintage I may have cheated some for a SW I had a Ping Eye 2 and a Lob wedge I had a Ping Zing. Did find out one thing those Taylor Made Project a balls go like a rocket off of persimmon. I got 2 doz last year by renewing my golf membership and had them laying around so I threw 3 in the bag. Putted with an Anser I found on the pile at work. The neck was bent so I eyeball straightened it out and putted well with it on our punched scorched crusty greens. My 2 birdies were kick ins and made both of them hitting the Ping PW which is 52*. Shot the same score from the mid tees Sunday using my modern stuff go figure

> > edit--- Just went on ironfinder and found out those Aussie blades are 2001-02

>

> Only 4g of lead tape, Big_Stu?

> Talking of playing EYE2 clubs in vintage setups, I know what you mean about it feeling like cheating. I sometimes throw in a BeCU EYE2 L wedge and wonder about the "purity" of it as it goes against the "persimmon and blades" idea behind playing the older stuff. Then again, I was given it back in about 1989, which makes it at least 30 years old, and I reckon that's good enough for me. To look at it from another perspective, it just shows how far ahead Karsten Solheim was with his designs.

> There's also no better club for getting out of fine, dry sand, in my opinion.

Yep Karsten was a genius--- I can see why those wedges are non conforming because both of them launch high and spin the mess out of a ball

• Like 1

> @Bruceapex said:

> I play 1992 Hogan Apex woods along with Hogan Apex redline irons made in 1988. I find these clubs to be much more accurate, workable with a feel quality otherwise unavailable with modern equipment. Using such equipment does require careful selection of the golf ball as “tour” balls like pro v’s are way too hard. I’ve settled on Wilson duo soft spins, which to me, with my equipment, remind me of Titleist tour balata 90 compression balls that went extinct in the late 1990’s. I’m in my sixties, play one set of tee boxes up from the tips and carry a 4 handicap. I may loose a few yards off the tee but feel and accuracy are way more important to me. Driver distance is around 235, I hit around 70% of fairways and about the same in greens in regulation. I miss way too many puts from 4 feet in and if I could short put better, I believe I’d be a scratch golfer. I don’t believe I could do this using today’s clubs.

> Are ther others out there like me?

> The exact makeup of my bag is as follows:

> Driver - Hogan Apex 9* with #4 Apex GG graphite shaft (1992)

> 3 wood - Hogan Apex with same shaft as above

> Irons - Hogan Apex redlines (1988) 2 though E (pitching wedge)

> Wedges - 5610 “S” fairway, 5612 berrillium sand, both Hogan from 1988.

> Putter- Bettinardi Bb18 (1999)

Compression is a marketing wanky topic. Modern golf balls like the ProV1 are about 50-60 compression. Those clubs hit Pinnacle Golds and Top Flite XLII's for decades, they will handle a urethane or surlyn ball from 20 oh 19 just dandy fine.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > Now on the persimmon end I do not play those as much because I hit the metal woods further and straighter. Now if I am seriously practicing I will throw one of my persimmon drivers in the bag.

> > > >

> > > > The main reason I don't take my persimmons out as often as I do are two folds.

> > > > One, they are hard to be replaced, they're some old persimmons floating around but, to find the exact replacement will be difficult.

> > > > Two, every season ends had to do maintenance work on them to preserve them. That's the main reason why my father drifted away from the golf clubs made with the persimon and hard wood.

> > > >

> > > > Of course the persimmon driver will yield shorted distance but , I sort of enjoy the 210-230 drive shorter by at least 20 yards than the 460 cc titanium drivers with adjustable hosel.....

> > > >

> > > > It reminded me of the time with my father.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I assume you are a righty---- If you ever need any more persimmon drivers I have plenty and am willing to share for free---- The main thing for me in saving them is keeping them from being destroyed by the shredder--- All of mine are basically gamers except the one blonde Penna which has never struck a ball----- Me I lose more than 20 yards with persimmon versus metal more like 40 yards

> >

> > Big STU, you're generous and kind. Only if I live a little closer.

> > I used to refinish my own persimmon woods ( not the take apart complete restoration, just carefully refinish the surface for preservation).

> > I will lose more driver distance with the persimmon if comparing to my gamer , maybe close to 30 yards. Back then, If I nut one drive will be just about 250 yards. the average was more like 220-230. But , playing from a forward tee with the old school golf clubs have a different level of enjoyment. This will only be realized by golfers whom had played in the pre-1980 era. Kids today will never know the joy of play that type of golf game.

> >

> > Anyway, I'm glad we know someone like you whom preserved the old traditional golf clubs. Enjoy your days off to be on the golf course. I'm on schedule to get back on the driving range in about a month=month and a half and hopefully will be able to start walking the golf course before the Summer ends. If not, I'll try to work on some oldies and watch my friends on the driving range as a second pair of eyes for them.

>

skulled 2 irons

persimmon 'thwack!'

missing recess to sand paint of table legs because Shirley Nelson cried when you called her a fatso miss piggy cuz she laughed at you getting made fun of for being on a loser tee ball team.

kids today are missin out good sir I tell ya.

• Like 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 4 years later...

Wow a thread from before I joined!

Persimmon and classic blades are all I own so I have no other option but to play them day in and day out.  

Maybe I’d be a better golfer with modern gear? But I don’t see what the point or gains would be?  

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

10 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Wow a thread from before I joined!

Persimmon and classic blades are all I own so I have no other option but to play them day in and day out.  

Maybe I’d be a better golfer with modern gear? But I don’t see what the point or gains would be?  

It is so great that’s the only golf you know! You can search the thrifts for semi modern, opposite of the rest of us but you’ll probably hate the weight of it when you first swing it. Can say modern doesn’t help me much other than woods but the scores aren’t much better oddly enough. Just less embarrassing shots at times. A lot of false confidence comes with a 460cc driver. 

I’ve now switched my regulator playing irons to 1991 Bridgestone J’s and either an Iron Master or now 8802 putter. Irons are barely vintage but are forged and old school lofts. Now the basic difference between a vintage round is modern woods and wedges. I try to switch to full vintage every other week and have compiled a lot of iron sets and persimmon options from 50s through 80’s. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

It is so great that’s the only golf you know! You can search the thrifts for semi modern, opposite of the rest of us but you’ll probably hate the weight of it when you first swing it. Can say modern doesn’t help me much other than woods but the scores aren’t much better oddly enough. Just less embarrassing shots at times. A lot of false confidence comes with a 460cc driver. 

I’ve now switched my regulator playing irons to 1991 Bridgestone J’s and either an Iron Master or now 8802 putter. Irons are barely vintage but are forged and old school lofts. Now the basic difference between a vintage round is modern woods and wedges. I try to switch to full vintage every other week and have compiled a lot of iron sets and persimmon options from 50s through 80’s. 

It's a strange experiment and each year this continues some of my friends push more and more to see me play modern.  My wife's uncle and I got into it over a family BBQ about how I'd never be a "single digit, if I didn't buy some nice clubs."  

You are spot on with the weight comment.  I notice that even between the 50s vs 80s blades.  

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Goosenecks (1988) versus Wilson Staff blades from the 60s, good example of weight. Everyone should play what they want and have a good time, I try to improve my game but im not gonna go single digit soon. I try to enjoy my free time, I can still pay my bills and I think my family still loves me if I shoot 110 or something lol 

• Like 3

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 degrees)

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW Or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Almost always  Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Sometimes: 60s Ben Hogan Sure Out , 69 Wilson Staff Fluid Feel 8 Iron at PW length , 1958 Reissue Wilson Staff SW (55) , Ping Eye 2 Green Dot W (50)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade or various older Ping blades. 

On 8/1/2023 at 8:27 AM, NRJyzr said:

With my own experiences....

I can only laugh.  It's a perfect indicator of how the general public is driven by marketing.

Even now, I've been hearing things like that from the Men's Club group I compete in on Saturdays.  One guy told me that I'd drop from a 9 hdcp to a 6 if I'd just get new irons.  (uh, I was a 6 last year, with those exact irons you're telling me to replace)

I swear people who say this have never hit classic irons and therefore don't realize how usably forgiving of mediocre swings they can be.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

I swear people who say this have never hit classic irons and therefore don't realize how usably forgiving of mediocre swings they can be.

I sometimes wonder if people think all blades have an MOI of Zero, while putting the slightest cavity in the club bumps the MOI up several magnitudes.

• Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, NRJyzr said:

I sometimes wonder if people think all blades have an MOI of Zero, while putting the slightest cavity in the club bumps the MOI up several magnitudes.

Yes.  Almost everyone I've ever spoken with about equipment has bought into the dogma of forgiveness and distance and will insist that the latest "tech" is of vital importance to your game.  I've noticed that of the few who are interested enough to peer into my bag, many will respond with actual fear or disgust when they see blades.  The power of modern marketing is truly amazing.

And it's not just marketing.  When a golfer lays out thousands of dollars trying to buy a better game they tend to try to convince others that theirs is the only right way.  Like the drunk at the party who tries to get everyone else drunk too so that they don't feel as out-of-place.  The power of the human mind is also truly amazing.

• Like 4