2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

jwb10

> @gators78 said:

> I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Thought I was crazy when I tried these out in the store because I didn't like them at all. No feel, and what little there was felt pretty bad. I chalked it up to just not striking them that well as I demo'ed probably a dozen or more irons that day, but was really surprised by these. Ping is pretty consistent with their products but this one seems to have missed the mark.

• Like 1

I too got lured in from a demo/fitting when i saw the distance numbers. But quickly realized those numbers were wildly inconsistent during normal play. And coming from a set mizuno mp-53's, the feel was just abysmal. Even when i would hit the ball good, everything just felt off. Unloaded the i500's bought a new set of jpx 919 tours, and instantly my confidence went back up, and played my best round of golf in the last 10 months.

Ping G425 Max, Ventus Velocore Red 7X

Ping G425 5W, UST Attas G7 8X Tour Serial

Titleist TS2 23 Hybrid, Diamana S82

TaylorMade 2021 P790 4-PW, DG 105 x100 VSS Pro

TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52

TaylorMade Hi Toe Raw 56

TaylorMade Hi Toe Raw 60

Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom 5.5, Stability Tour Black

Titleist, ProV1

> @arbeck said:

> > @gators78 said:

> > I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

>

> There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @gators78 said:

> > > I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

> >

> > There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

>

> Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

Does indoor testing hide the effects of VCOG? Even on these forums, lots of people seem to do well with it on the launch monitor but no so much outdoors.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @jwb10 said:

> VCOG,,explain ?

Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Foreleft said:

> Wait until people get their hands on the Blueprints. Could be all the above in a far less forgiving package.

Here’s the thing. It will be opposite. The blueprint has all its weight down low. So will be easy , peasy to launch. Just slightly less forgiving toeside. It’s a dance between weight moved high and toe , vs weight left down low.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @jwb10 said:

> VCOG,,explain ?

Vertical center of gravity. A low VCOG gives more margin for error in achieving a fairly solid strike even when you hit it a little thin. A higher VCOG requires a descending blow/bottom of the swing in front of the ball in order to put the impact higher on the face and deliver the desired feel and flight.

• Like 1

@IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I tested the I500's yesterday again and they didn't even come close the the G410's. Man, when they first hit the streets I wanted them so bad.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @gvogel said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

>

> I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

More offset? Yuck. This is a club for people who prefer the classic look of a blade. Ping makes the 400 and 700 series for people who don't mind the look of offset, thick top lines, large head size, wide soles and the like.

I have been playing the i500 for 8 months. I love them. Any dispersion problems that I have experienced lie with the golfer, not the club.

I am a low handicap player who grew up with the clean look of true, muscle-back blades (that loosened dental filings on off-center hits). Then I got old. It happens. I hate the look of game improvement clubs. The i500 is a club that suits my eye, is very easy to hit, that goes 10+ yards further. I am not a long hitter anymore, but I can easily hit this 7-iron 170 yards, and high, and the ball stops. I have no problem with sound or feel. I play graphite shafts. Hit them With a square club face and they sound and feel fine.

The i500 is my favorite iron ever, and I have owned my share of irons.

• Like 1

> @bladehunter said:

> @IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

>

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > @IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

> >

> >

> > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

>

> Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

I played them all winter.

They are also very good muddy weather clubs. You can get a cleaner strike when the ground is soft is what I’m saying. Now that it’s hard. Well. It’s hard. Lol. Which is why I couldn’t stay with them. I’d bet anything that ping fixes that the next generation.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > VCOG,,explain ?

>

> Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @WarEagleGolf said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > VCOG,,explain ?

> >

> > Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

>

> Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

>

> I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

My experience is similar and I'm a picker who takes very little of a divot. Tend to hit the ball slightly lower on the head and towards the toe. Have no issues getting the ball in the air with LZ shafts. I agree with the longer irons getting a little too much rollout but I'm fine with that. While still in the infancy with these irons, I'm very impressed so far and I've been through a number of irons in the past few years (z565's, 919 HM's, 919 forged, CF16's, Steelheads, G30's, DBM's, PXG 0311's, MP-66's)

> @jwb10 said:

> Now I’m getting more confused. I hit them better today by trying to stay down longer

>

>

I feel that I hit any iron better whenever I stay down longer.

• Like 3

Well the loathing was short lived. Went out this evening to hit a few balls with the i500's. Kinda cool out 54 degrees with a steady 23 mph wind. I usually struggle playing in the wind, but I was having decent results flighting the ball into the wind and was not having any distance varations down wind. The course was empty so I could hit multiple balls and was impressed with the distance consistency. I was having issues with the short irons last time out but tonight I couldn't have been happier with the entire set. Nice to see some lower handicappers happy playing the i500's, keeps chopper's like myself wanting to keep hitting them. Our conditions are pretty lush at the moment so hardpan is not an issue. I am still amazed every year that the Fn snow melts and this green stuff comes out of the ground, after a long winter it's a welcome sight.

• Like 1

I've been on the fence with these for about a month. I loved them in the cold wet windy Louisiana winter, but struggled when things began to warm up. I realized my swing has gotten off track. This weekend I played the i500's Saturday and my forged cavity backs today. Although I hit the ball mid high with the forged CB's, I really like the higher but penetrating trajectory with the i500's. Although they play a club longer by the number on the bottom, loft for loft they're pretty close. With a semi-steep swing, I think for me, the challenging difference is the shafts. The DG105 S300 is more tip stiff than the shaft I've been playing for the past 5+ years and as a result I find I don't feel the release at the bottom and screw up my timing. A shaft change may be in the future. The jury is still out, but I'm loving the ball flight and control.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I liked them but just sold them as I built some Miura cb2008 and they feel fantastic and are pretty forgiving. I could have played them as the results were great they just didn’t feel great when the sweet spot wasn’t hit. I’d have no problem going back to them. They do look great.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

I've only played a few rounds with mine and i'm a big fan so far. Tried the Cobra SL and the trial about ruined my swing, so I'm hardly counting those.

So I'm really coming from some G25 with C-Tapers (i500 with LZ) and they're basically the same club in a sexier package from what I can tell so far. They're every bit as long as the SGI G25s and equally forgiving from what I can tell. Still working the swing back into order after the SL abortion, but I feel the confidence building with the i500s.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I tried the i500's a couple weeks back at an outdoor demo event and struggled with them. For me they were difficult to launch, distance and dispersion were all over the place and good strikes were rare. For kicks I tried the i210 and wow. Easy to hit, felt great, and very consistent. Ended up getting a proper fitting and my 4-W set arrived this past Monday. Tonight is their first outing to the course for league.

• Like 1

Signature!