an honest critique of the state of Tiger's game at the moment..

jmvargas

After his most recent performance today here is my take on the above:

1. he still has the game to win but it will never the same as it was during his prime.

2. he needs more preparation than ever before in his quest for majors..

this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

4.his thirst for success has dimmed to perhaps 75% vs 100% at it's peak.

5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

6. he is a much better person now than before and I wish him the best..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @jmvargas said:

> After his most recent performance today here is my take on the above:

> 1. he still has the game to win but it will never the same as it was during his prime.

> 2. he needs more preparation than ever before in his quest for majors..

> this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

> 3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

> 4.his thirst for success has dimmed to perhaps 75% vs 100% at it's peak.

> 5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

> 6. he is as much better person now than before and I wish him the best..

>

>

This is a well-thought out, rational post after a poor Tiger showing. I'm shocked. Are you sure you posted on the right forum?

• Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @"Big Cat 3" said:

> Tig was never into this tourney and predicted by many ( Faldo ) to play the exactly as he did

..this is Monday morning quarterbacking...

there were also many who predicted--or were hoping--that he would win as proven by the early odds which were was as low as 8-1 in the beginning..

in any case it is what it is..

• Like 1

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Ah. Him and Rory phoned it in this week. It happens. Not as if he was going to catch. Brooks the cyborg after the first round anyway. This course needs the wind to blow to be tough. If you drive it like brooks. It’s really not that hard looking. ( fairways I mean).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> Ah. Him and Rory phoned it in this week. It happens. Not as if he was going to catch. Brooks the cyborg after the first round anyway. This course needs the wind to blow to be tough. If you drive it like brooks. It’s really not that hard looking. ( fairways I mean).

yeah, golf is an easy game if you can drive it 300+ in the fairway on every hole.

• Like 1

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Ah. Him and Rory phoned it in this week. It happens. Not as if he was going to catch. Brooks the cyborg after the first round anyway. This course needs the wind to blow to be tough. If you drive it like brooks. It’s really not that hard looking. ( fairways I mean).

>

> yeah, golf is an easy game if you can drive it 300+ in the fairway on every hole.

Yep. And that’s what I meant. I’m not at all saying bethpage black is a cake walk. But. He’s not breaking a sweat to just embarrass it. Wind is the only hope I see for him to come back to the field.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Ah. Him and Rory phoned it in this week. It happens. Not as if he was going to catch. Brooks the cyborg after the first round anyway. This course needs the wind to blow to be tough. If you drive it like brooks. It’s really not that hard looking. ( fairways I mean).

>

> yeah, golf is an easy game if you can drive it 300+ in the fairway on every hole.

I'll set up shop selling golf tips for just 4 easy installments of $79.99 each.

Lesson #1 for better golf.

Always drive 300+ in fairway- it makes the hole play easier.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @jmvargas said:

> 1. he still has the game to win b**ut it will never the same as it was during his prime.**

> this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

> 3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

> 5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

>

>

are there people that think/thought he would be the tiger of old?

> @tiderider said:

> > @jmvargas said:

> > After his most recent performance today here is my take on the above:

> > 1. he still has the game to win b**ut it will never the same as it was during his prime.**

> > 2. he needs more preparation than ever before in his quest for majors..

> > this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

> > 3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

> > 4.his thirst for success has dimmed to perhaps 75% vs 100% at it's peak.

> > 5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

> > 6. he is as much better person now than before and I wish him the best..

> >

> >

>

> are there people that think/thought he would be the tiger of old?

..after he won the Masters...oh yes!!

• Like 1

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @jmvargas said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @jmvargas said:

> > > After his most recent performance today here is my take on the above:

> > > 1. he still has the game to win b**ut it will never the same as it was during his prime.**

> > > 2. he needs more preparation than ever before in his quest for majors..

> > > this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

> > > 3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

> > > 4.his thirst for success has dimmed to perhaps 75% vs 100% at it's peak.

> > > 5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

> > > 6. he is as much better person now than before and I wish him the best..

> > >

> > >

> >

> > are there people that think/thought he would be the tiger of old?

>

> ..after he won the Masters...oh yes!!

>

no one's claimed he'd be the tiger of old ... people have complained he won't be the tiger of old, however, which is indicative of america more than anything else ...

Tiger's game is not capable of a par 70 major at this stage. I'm not sure if he'll ever get back to that level. Minus those extra two par 5s he simply makes too many driving errors on difficult par 4s and ends up scrambling for par.

Always remember the big picture first and foremost: As soon as Tiger regained semblance of form late last year I rattled off the 2019 majors here and what par they would be played at: Augusta and British Open at 72, Pebble Beach at 71 and Bethpage at 70. Tiger in his prime had distinct tendency to dominate at 72 majors then fall off at 71 and particularly at 70. It was well known in golf betting circles. There was no reason to believe it wouldn't hold up similarly during this resurgence.

If Tiger is going to match or surpass 18 he needs to take full advantages of those 72 opportunities, particularly while still in his early and mid 40s.

• Like 1

As great as it was the whole world got carried away with his win at Augusta. I know someone who is 100% convinced Tiger '19 is his Jack '86, not sure I'd go that far but absolutely everything has to be aligned for Woods to win a major whereas in his golden years he was doing it with a B game.

Personally I could see Tiger maybe getting one more major but I think 19 isn't going happen.

• Like 2
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @Redjeep83 said:

> Pretty much saw this one coming. He was enjoying his masters win and took too much time off, plus the cooler weather. Many players do this after a win

He took time off because he is not healthy. Was walking around like a 95 year old man at a promotional event. Fools here said it must have been "leg day" at the gym. Yeah, right.

He skipped the Wells Fargo because he is not healthy. He played only 9 holes in practice this week because he is not healthy. And through it all, Steiny, the PR hack, says there's nothing to worry about and Tiger feels great. Liar!!!

When Tiger is healthy (e.g., the Masters) he plays great. When Tiger is not healthy (this week) he has no chance in h e l l.

The problem for Tiger is that he's at an age, and a stage of relative health, where he's on the razor's edge. At the end of the day he longer has the juice to overcome physical limitations like he did at the 2008 U.S. Open.

• Like 3

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > Pretty much saw this one coming. He was enjoying his masters win and took too much time off, plus the cooler weather. Many players do this after a win

>

> He took time off because he is not healthy. Was walking around like a 95 year old man at a promotional event. Dumbasses here said it must have been "leg day" at the gym. Yeah, whatever.

>

> He skipped the Wells Fargo because he is not healthy. He played only 9 holes in practice this week because he is not healthy. And through it all, Steiny, the PR hack, says there's nothing to worry about and Tiger feels great. Liar!!!

>

> When Tiger is healthy (e.g., the Masters) he plays great. When Tiger is not healthy (this week) he has no chance in h e l l.

>

> The problem for Tiger is that he's at an age, and a stage of relative health, where he's on the razor's edge. At the end of the day he longer has the juice to overcome physical limitations like he did at the 2008 U.S. Open.

I like this assessment...

...and many of the previous ones made good points too..

thanks for participating guys!!

additional insights most welcome!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Tiger got dusted by 17 shots...In his defense it has got to be tough to revisit courses he once physically overpowered and to watch a younger man like Brooks do to him , what he used to do to the rest of golf...The stars and golf gods are going to have to align perfectly as they did at Augusta in order for him to win another major, but there is a reason Father Time is still undefeated. Tiger's mind may tell him he is capable of dominating on demand, but reality proves otherwise. He still is better than most

• Like 1

You can't make an honest critique based off two days in one tournament, he won the previous one in the Masters. Tiger is past his best but his best was so high he can still compete. Just should never expect it at a course where you need to hit fairways. He isn't the best golfer in the world anymore, but in the top 10 and is one of the contenders rather than the man to beat. If you told him that three years ago he'd be delighted to be doing that well.

• Like 1

> @Dave230 said:

> You can't make an honest critique based off two days in one tournament, he won the previous one in the Masters. Tiger is past his best but his best was so high he can still compete. Just should never expect it at a course where you need to hit fairways. He isn't the best golfer in the world anymore, but in the top 10 and is one of the contenders rather than the man to beat. If you told him that three years ago he'd be delighted to be doing that well.

I am not asking for a definitive critique which is why I specified "at the moment"..

of course it will be subject to change as he gets more repetitions in but many of the replies so far have been spot on...even yours..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @jmvargas said:

> 1. he still has the game to win but it will never the same as it was during his prime.

>

>

1. No one with any actual knowledge suggested otherwise and if they did they were delusional.

2. If he could prepare more he would have. Again, only a limited knowledge of golf is required to understand this point.

3. Yes his physical condition in not as good ( again another obvious point to even non-golfers) but I am not sure how you can critique his attitude. Internally he would still step on your throat to win a game of checkers and thats coming from someone who was around him in the early 2000's. The only thing you are seeing is more of who he actually was as a person and he's slightly less guarded with the public. When it comes to competition he is the same.

4. wrong. He has to be realistic based on his physical issues and has adjusted well. Contrary to the myth, even he had bad days/ tournaments back in the day. His "thirst" is just as strong. but he has to be realistic about certain things. Again, he would step on your throat to win a game of checkers and that won't change. Dont let the smile fool you.

5. Again you are simply seeing publicly who he was all along.

6. You would have to be more specific because aside from the extramarital stuff and a few more smiles I am not sure what "better" means because he was always a good person but because of his visibility he had to do certain things.

> @jmvargas said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @jmvargas said:

> > > After his most recent performance today here is my take on the above:

> > > 1. he still has the game to win b**ut it will never the same as it was during his prime.**

> > > 2. he needs more preparation than ever before in his quest for majors..

> > > this has to include tournament time in-between the majors and not just practice at home or even at the tournament sites.

> > > 3. his physical condition is probably at 85% at best when compared to the early 2000s but his over-all attitude is 110% when compared to the same period.

> > > 4.his thirst for success has dimmed to perhaps 75% vs 100% at it's peak.

> > > 5.he is more attuned to other people than ever before..this is related to my comment on his over-all attitude..

> > > 6. he is as much better person now than before and I wish him the best..

> > >

> > >

> >

> > are there people that think/thought he would be the tiger of old?

>

> ..after he won the Masters...oh yes!!

>

They are people who aren't very knowledgable about golf or they were briefly mesmerized by Augusta and temporarily insane.

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > Pretty much saw this one coming. He was enjoying his masters win and took too much time off, plus the cooler weather. Many players do this after a win

>

> He took time off because he is not healthy. Was walking around like a 95 year old man at a promotional event. Dumbasses here said it must have been "leg day" at the gym. Yeah, whatever.

>

> He skipped the Wells Fargo because he is not healthy. He played only 9 holes in practice this week because he is not healthy. And through it all, Steiny, the PR hack, says there's nothing to worry about and Tiger feels great. Liar!!!

>

> When Tiger is healthy (e.g., the Masters) he plays great. When Tiger is not healthy (this week) he has no chance in h e l l.

>

> The problem for Tiger is that he's at an age, and a stage of relative health, where he's on the razor's edge. At the end of the day he longer has the juice to overcome physical limitations like he did at the 2008 U.S. Open.

Well according to Tiger, it wasnt the physical part of the game that wasnt healthy, it was the mental part. So whether that was actually true or he was just blowing smoke, most probably believe the latter, except those in his own camp.

IMO, people got confused over what they hoped would happen as Tiger fans and fans of golf (those who thought he could win) over the reality that Tiger is past his prime and just doesnt have the physical tools anymore. Some might say that no one really thought he would would but the Vegan oddsmakers did list him as the favorite to win the PGA.

> @jmvargas said:

>

>

Well Tiger needs to take a page from Vince Lombardi who said the will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. If that preparation entails making people believe the mental game is key, and I see where he is going here, because physically he simply cant outmatch a Brooks Koepka. And if the physical is just as important as the mental, then the devil is in the details. Tiger had both in his prime.

And as far as being attuned, being a better person, I think it comes with the evolution of today's player in stark contrast in what Tiger was in the height of his powers. He didnt have to worry about other people, didnt have to worry about being nice, because people loved him for his dominance. Koepka is challenging that paradigm for sure, and in a way, that is what we have been waiting for from somebody, whether or not it carries for the long term remains to be seen.

• Like 1