ONE trip...Bandon, Cabot Cliffs, Ireland or Scotland

Having never been to any of them, I’d go to Scotland or Ireland just to experience such a different world of golf.

Bandon is a highly regarded place but it’s still in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Oregon. Cabot looks amazing and I certainly want to there, but for me the allure of the British Isles is too great.

Wish I were in a position to take any of those trips!

I've been to all four. The discussion really needs to be limited to Scotland or Ireland. Cabot has two courses. Bandon has five courses. They are great golf RESORTS... difficult to get to and are worth visits .

Ireland and Scotland on the other hand are great Golf COUNTRIES, each with **dozens of great courses** with great people, culture and places to experience, which you can do even if all you do is play golf, eat and sleep. If you can only do one, I'd visit Scotland and focus on a single area or perhaps two rather than go galavanting around a country to notch your belt with only the most famous courses. There are a lot of good to excellent to world class courses jam packed into Fife and East Lothian that can meet any budget. You can do a great trip with a per round cost less than Bandon or Cabot if cost is an issue. The Old Course, Muirfield and and Kingsbarns are expensive and for TOC and Muirfield you need to make a tee time long in advance of your trip.. However, you can do a trip of a lifetime even if you don't play all of those three.

North Berwick, Gullane #1, #2 and #3, Dunbar, Kilspindie, Lundin, Leven, Ladybank, Elie, Crail Balcomie, and the other six links trust courses at St Andrews (especially the New) would give you 20 courses to choose from without having to do any long distance driving. Spend some time in St Andrews and Edinburgh or just walk around some of the villages like North Berwick or Anstruther and you'll want to start planning your next trip the day you get home.

• Like 1

Funny how its a bit different here too. I would choose Ireland as would a couple of others. Two or three would take Bandon for ease (for us) of getting there and its all golf, one or two was Scottland and mainly for the Old Course. Cabot made the list only because of Cabot Cliffs but getting there is tough and might as well go to Ireland or Scottland. Though everyone said they would go to Cabot for sure even though only having two courses.

Similar to responses here... its what you prefer, doubtful you can wrong with any of the courses. Some want all golf and nothing else, some golf and other things to do, some want history.

England never made the list interestingly.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I've not been to Bandon or Cabot (going to Cabot this year and Bandon next), but I would pick Scotland above all the others. But it depends on who you are going with and what time of year.

HAHAHA funny..."who" you go with is the reason our group conversation got sidewise as it was ALL over the board.

> @CDM said:

> Funny how its a bit different here too. I would choose Ireland as would a couple of others. Two or three would take Bandon for ease (for us) of getting there and its all golf, one or two was Scottland and mainly for the Old Course. Cabot made the list only because of Cabot Cliffs but getting there is tough and might as well go to Ireland or Scottland. Though everyone said they would go to Cabot for sure even though only having two courses.

>

> Similar to responses here... its what you prefer, doubtful you can wrong with any of the courses. Some want all golf and nothing else, some golf and other things to do, some want history.

>

> England never made the list interestingly.

>

could be argued england has a deeper field than scotland ... could, mind you ... looking at top100 website and including wales, there are 12 courses in the top 100 ... scotland has 11 ... quite a few of england's are heatland courses with a bit of links flair, and some are true parkland courses ... 17/50 top courses on the britain/ireland list are scottish ... 23/50 are in england ...

England (I know I know, not on the list)

Scotland

Ireland

Bandon

Cabot (Not been here yet, mainly because it's just not appealing enough personally for the hike that it is)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

SABRAM (post #5) nailed it.

Go hang out in** East Lothian** and play a great number of great links courses. You can blow the budget on the big names, if you are into that; You can play other great links courses for a third of the price, if you are into that. Or play some of both.

Hint: get a **"day ticket"** which enables you to play 2 (or more) rounds of golf per day at the same golf course: makes the golf even more pleasant and affordable. The only thing better than one nice round of golf on a great links course is the SECOND round of the day on the very same course.

• Like 1

I've been to none of these places, but my wish list would look something like:

1 a/b. Ireland/Scotland (so hard to pick one over the other)

3. Cabot

4. Bandon

I'd like to visit Bandon but I don't think it offers the total experience value of the other destinations. I've been hearing great things about Nova Scotia lately. It supposedly has a Scottish vibe to it - maybe not surprising as it's name translates to New Scotland.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Can't imagine why anyone would pick going to Oregon over Scotland or Ireland for golf with a hypothetical that is assuming you can have your choice.

>

> And it's Scotland, not Scottland.

>

> Wasn't Bobby Sherman in a lumberjack show that took place in Oregon?

Ease being the main reason. You see a lot of post from east coast WXR's on it being easier to get to Ireland than it is Bandon.

Only 2.0 hour flight for us, and some do not want a ton of driving which as everyone knows is needed. Cost wise has not been the issue. Just have people in the group who want excellent golf with ease and "one stop" resorts like Bandon offer that.

I am on board for Ireland.

I did look up England this week, will have to admit it should of made the list, some fantastic tracks.

_Sorry missed the typo in the thread title._

If you live on the East coast the UK is much easier to get to than Bandon. Heck, living in Chicago I have a non stop to Edinburgh. I love Bandon, it is the coolest place I have ever been, but as someone mentioned above you are comparing it to multiple countries and 100s more courses to choose from. It would be fairer if it were positioned as St. Andrews area VS Bandon VS Cabot etc. Also, Cabot only has 2 courses, so I don't even think it is in the discussion VS Bandon.

If you're going in a group, go to Bandon. If you're going solo, go to the UK or Ireland.

If you live in the midwest or west coast, go to Bandon. If you live on the east coast, to to UK or Ireland. If you live in Canada, go to Cabot.

If you only have 3-4 days to play golf, go to Bandon or possibly Cabot. If you have a week or more, go to UK or Ireland.

If you enjoy being surrounded by pudgy middle-aged American country-club golfers 24x7, go to Bandon. If you want to be around a wide variety of both golfers and non-golfers, go the UK or Ireland.

If you actually LIKE Bud Light, go to Bandon. Or maybe St. Andrews and hang out at the Dunvegan.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> I'd like to visit Bandon but I don't think it offers the total experience value of the other destinations.** I've been hearing great things about Nova Scotia lately.** It supposedly has a Scottish vibe to it - maybe not surprising as it's name translates to New Scotland.

Stay tuned. I'm going to Cabot in 90 days and will report on the experience.

> @CDM said:

> Funny how its a bit different here too. I would choose Ireland as would a couple of others. Two or three would take Bandon for ease (for us) of getting there and its all golf, one or two was Scottland and mainly for the Old Course. Cabot made the list only because of Cabot Cliffs but getting there is tough and might as well go to Ireland or Scottland. Though everyone said they would go to Cabot for sure even though only having two courses.

>

> Similar to responses here... its what you prefer, doubtful you can wrong with any of the courses. Some want all golf and nothing else, some golf and other things to do, some want history.

>

> England never made the list interestingly.

>

I have been to all, here are my random thoughts:

I took my wife to Nova Scotia for our 20th anniversary. We went the 1st week of October because this is when they have the Celtic Colors Festival...a week + of music, food, activities and the leaves changing color on the island. Plus the golf at Cabot and Highlands - and it is not far to PEI to play there(3 good courses). It was one of the best overall trips we have ever made. Fair bit of driving to do stuff or see things. Rural areas and not yet mature golfing culture.

Ireland and Scotland are great destinations and highly recommend. Tough part is you will need to make multiple trips to get the main stops all in....so you will take your one trip and then start planning the next ones! :) Can be lots of driving depending on your itinerary. There are some really good package trips that provide the courses, food, lodging, driving and even one that provides music at all stops. It is kind of a 'just wake up and let everything get taken care of for you' trip. Plus throwing in some sights.

Bandon, is pure golf and is now adding a 5th course. It is a one stop shop that is pure bliss for the golfer which is tough to beat. 'wake up, golf, eat, drink, repeat'

> @CDM said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Can't imagine why anyone would pick going to Oregon over Scotland or Ireland for golf with a hypothetical that is assuming you can have your choice.

> >

> > And it's Scotland, not Scottland.

> >

> > Wasn't Bobby Sherman in a lumberjack show that took place in Oregon?

>

> Ease being the main reason. You see a lot of post from east coast WXR's on it being easier to get to Ireland than it is Bandon.

>

> Only 2.0 hour flight for us, and some do not want a ton of driving which as everyone knows is needed. Cost wise has not been the issue. Just have people in the group who want excellent golf with ease and "one stop" resorts like Bandon offer that.

>

> I am on board for Ireland.

>

> I did look up England this week, will have to admit it should of made the list, some fantastic tracks.

>

> _Sorry missed the typo in the thread title._

I misunderstood the premise. Thought it was more of an “assuming you could go” that took logistics out of the equation. I’d be more intrigued by the Bandon area than Pinehurst or a winter trip to Palm Springs or Arizona just because of the nature of the courses. But if it’s “one trip” as in “the biggie” for everyone, IMO head across the pond although long plane rides are a killer for me. But not enough the wife and I aren’t going back to Scotland this summer. ;-) You’ll enjoy going anywhere you go, just go.

I have been to Bandon, Ireland and Scotland all in the last year or two and the place to start I would say is Scotland. The Birthplace of Golf and a huge number of courses to choose from with better driving conditions than ireland. You can stay in the Fife area and choose from many courses (ie St Andrews, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns etc) or pop up to Aberdeen (RA, Cruden Bay, Trump) and even press on to the Inverness area including Dornoch, Brora, Castle Stuart etc.

I've been to Scotland once, Ireland (Southwest) once, and Bandon four times. And Ireland is my favorite over Scotland by a slight margin. That being said, I would choose Scotland, if I could pick one destination. Scotland is, after all the home of golf. Keep in mind, this opinion is coming from a rapidly aging mid/high handicapper, who no longer has any expectations of going low. Scenery and atmosphere have become more important, the older I get.

BTW. I live on the Left Coast. So it's a 10+ hour flight to Heathrow. Or a 10 hour drive to Bandon. So travel time is not a consideration for me.

> @CDM said:

> So I noticed in discussion with friends as we planning trips its all over the place on these 4....

> IF you could one trip of the 4 listed which would you do...?

>

> _Cabot is normally lower on the list but now that CLIFFS is one of the top in the world it has changed opinions._

>

I've been to Bandon, Ireland, and Scotland. Cabot is on the list.

If you are going for a "golf your brains out" trip, Bandon is the winner.

After that it's a toss up between Scotland and Ireland. Of the courses I've played I would actually give the nod to Ireland. Scotland has more history with the Open, I've played TOC and Carnoustie, but the Irish courses we played were actually more fun and scenic.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @CDM said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Can't imagine why anyone would pick going to Oregon over Scotland or Ireland for golf with a hypothetical that is assuming you can have your choice.

> > >

> > > And it's Scotland, not Scottland.

> > >

> > > Wasn't Bobby Sherman in a lumberjack show that took place in Oregon?

> >

> > Ease being the main reason. You see a lot of post from east coast WXR's on it being easier to get to Ireland than it is Bandon.

> >

> > Only 2.0 hour flight for us, and some do not want a ton of driving which as everyone knows is needed. Cost wise has not been the issue. Just have people in the group who want excellent golf with ease and "one stop" resorts like Bandon offer that.

> >

> > I am on board for Ireland.

> >

> > I did look up England this week, will have to admit it should of made the list, some fantastic tracks.

> >

> > _Sorry missed the typo in the thread title._

>

> I misunderstood the premise. Thought it was more of an “assuming you could go” that took logistics out of the equation. I’d be more intrigued by the Bandon area than Pinehurst or a winter trip to Palm Springs or Arizona just because of the nature of the courses. But if it’s “one trip” as in “the biggie” for everyone, IMO head across the pond although long plane rides are a killer for me. But not enough the wife and I aren’t going back to Scotland this summer. ;-) You’ll enjoy going anywhere you go, just go.

No worries. For the record, I have a what I call a "Golf Pass" from the wife for the Bday this year to go play one place I always wanted too. _*Granted Melbourne/Tas was removed as she would want to go to that one LOL._

It started as a discussion with the group I play with. A decent amount of interest but it just went all over the place as to location. All the post in this thread is exactly how our local conversations have gone for record LOL.

I have been to Bandon, Ireland and most recently Scotland all in the last year or two and the place to start I would say is Scotland. The Birthplace of Golf and a huge number of courses to choose from with better driving conditions than Ireland. You can stay in the Fife area and (ie St Andrews, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns etc) or pop up to Aberdeen (RA, Cruden Bay, Trump) and even press on to the more northern area including Dornoch, Brora, Castle Stuart etc. Legendary courses wherever you go.