2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Apex MB and easy to hit blade?

texas_golfer

I have played blades for a long time, these callaway mb's are just fun to play. Just as good as some of my favorite blades of the past, mp33's 29's, 68's,4's,

5's. Clean looking and solid performers.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• 1 month later...

Anyone still gaming theirs? I have a raw set and I've been tempted multiple times to move them but can't get myself to do it, I can tell I don't get along with the bounce/sole design but the uniqueness of the raw's is just too much to move them.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Love my raw set. Easy to hit! Feel great!

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @texas_golfer said:

> I’m usually bounce around an 8-10 handicap. Currently a 9.2 but that’s because I’ve been taking some lessons over past couple months and doing some big swing changes. Things finally starting to come together. My ultimate goal is to get down to around a 5. Anyway. I’d say I’m a pretty decent ball striker. But I don’t find the sweet spot every hit for sure.

>

>

>

> I’ve played players cavity back irons for years now. But never blades. But every time I go into my local big box store there’s a shiny Callaway Apex MB staring at me so I hit it. And I swear. As weird as it sounds. I hit it better than any other club in the store. For months now!

>

>

>

> How can that be? Is it possibly the thin sole? I’m just curious why something like this would be easier to hit for someone like me?

I’m around the same handicap. I fully believe that thin sole helps certain types of players. I’ve had different cavity back irons and I have finally found a set of thinner soled cavity backs. I practice with a set of older Titleist blades and find the sweet spot most of the time. I’m a believer the sole of the club is the most important. If you can find a set of players irons with a thinner sole , with some forgiveness you’ll find your perfect set of irons

> @collje26 said:

> Anyone still gaming theirs? I have a raw set and I've been tempted multiple times to move them but can't get myself to do it, I can tell I don't get along with the bounce/sole design but the uniqueness of the raw's is just too much to move them.

If they don't work for you they never well. Sell them and move on to something that you feel confident with on every shot!

> @balls_deep said:

> > @collje26 said:

> > Anyone still gaming theirs? I have a raw set and I've been tempted multiple times to move them but can't get myself to do it, I can tell I don't get along with the bounce/sole design but the uniqueness of the raw's is just too much to move them.

>

> If they don't work for you they never well. Sell them and move on to something that you feel confident with on every shot!

I don't think it's the fact that they don't work for me. They just don't dig into the ground like my 900 tour's did or mp 18's. Could be a good thing but still getting used to them.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @Sebmour said:

> > @ProjectX_Mizuno said:

> > > @Sebmour said:

> > > I loved them. Only the 3 and 4 iron gave me a hard time.

> > > Easy to hit but the easiest are my new sticks ;)

> >

> > Which are????

> >

> >

>

> See signature

>

> 2019 Cobra King Forged CB/MB

>

>

Nice! Unfortunately, I can’t see the signature on the mobile version.

• 1 month later...

Recently got the Apex MB pitching wedge, and I was pleasantly surprised by the relative forgiveness, amazing feel, and consistent distances I am getting from it. I wanted a pitching wedge that would give me tighter dispersion distance wise, over the Callaway X Forged pitching wedge which from time to time would carry maybe 5-9 yards further than expected (wanted). Normal carry distance for my pitching wedge is 130-135 yards and X Forged would normally fly this distance but every so often would carry 140-142 yards. Those shots would be from fairway and were probably just hit dead on sweet spot, but so far with apex mb pitching wedge I am getting 128-134 yards consistently. I have played 3 rounds with it and last round played late afternoon/night , nobody behind me and hit 10 shots from that distance (Bushnell range finder measured), all 10 were right around flag high and good left/right dispersion. Very impressed by the mb’s and I am seriously considering getting at least the 9 iron, maybe the 8 as well. I am decent ball striker but never considered blades because as we all know golf is hard enough. I love the minimal offset and the narrow sole width makes turf interaction really smooth.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

> @KevCannon said:

> Recently got the Apex MB pitching wedge, and I was pleasantly surprised by the relative forgiveness, amazing feel, and consistent distances I am getting from it. I wanted a pitching wedge that would give me tighter dispersion distance wise, over the Callaway X Forged pitching wedge which from time to time would carry maybe 5-9 yards further than expected (wanted). Normal carry distance for my pitching wedge is 130-135 yards and X Forged would normally fly this distance but every so often would carry 140-142 yards. Those shots would be from fairway and were probably just hit dead on sweet spot, but so far with apex mb pitching wedge I am getting 128-134 yards consistently. I have played 3 rounds with it and last round played late afternoon/night , nobody behind me and hit 10 shots from that distance (Bushnell range finder measured), all 10 were right around flag high and good left/right dispersion. Very impressed by the mb’s and I am seriously considering getting at least the 9 iron, maybe the 8 as well. I am decent ball striker but never considered blades because as we all know golf is hard enough. I love the minimal offset and the narrow sole width makes turf interaction really smooth.

I can believe it.

Got my two iron on a Friday to stretch my Mizuno MP18mb (3-PW) set and Cally two iron felt better yet was easier to hit.

The ground interaction is remarkable and noticeable. I’m very pleased on the traditional look and performance.

As of Sunday, traded in Mizzy for the Cally and play a full set (2-PW).

I started the same way as you. I bought the PW (2 degrees strong) to fit my gaps and I absolutely loved it. Extremely forgiving and predictable. Then since it was so easy to hit I got the 8 & 9 irons (1 degree strong) and those were so easy to hit. So now I play 7-pw apex MBs and 5&6 iron 19 Apex pros. Iron striking has always been a strong point for me but never considered playing blades. I’m a HC 9 for reference but driver is my weak part of my game.

From personal experience, you have to get the clubs out on the course to really KNOW. A lot of times, stuff just "works" on a driving range or off a mat. But putting the club on an actual golf course is where the true test lies. A lot of clubs end up in the used club bin because of the placebo effect of new clubs. See if you can demo a set on your course and then see how they perform.

• Like 1

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

> @JustinM said:

> Really not demanding at all depending on your ball striking. If you hit in the toe or heal regularly you will get punished but if your miss is a little thin or low you’ll have no issues.

Yeah I'm not really a toe striker. If I miss it is generally a touch heavy or thin if my swing is off but that's not common. Wear spots are all out the middle for me just not dime size like the big boys haha..

> @dpark said:

> From personal experience, you have to get the clubs out on the course to really KNOW. A lot of times, stuff just "works" on a driving range or off a mat. But putting the club on an actual golf course is where the true test lies. A lot of clubs end up in the used club bin because of the placebo effect of new clubs. See if you can demo a set on your course and then see how they perform.

I agree. Had one round with the 18MB on the weekend and passed with flying colors.

The sole design aid in ground interaction and different lies ie side hill lies, light rough

Was able to control the trajectory, distances and curvature both ways very easily.

The stock PX 6.0 definitely pairs well with the head, buttery, smooth, nice kick and control.

I don’t miss my MP18sat all. I wish I had looked at the Callys when I demo my Mizunos being bias but Callaway got 2018 right.

> @balls_deep said:

> Are these much more demanding than MP5? Looking at trying a set out

I haven't hit the MP-5s, but the Apex MB compared very favorably to my MP-4s. I really loved their small size, and they still take the cake for softest iron I've ever hit. They're the iron that suggested to me I could handle an MB.

They're very similar to my 1988 Hogan Redlines. If you can get a set, put 'em up against your MP-5s and see which one makes you feel happier. I don't think there's a better in-production MB iron out there than the Apex MB, and the only reason I didn't keep my set was because my MP-4s came in a full set of 3-PW rather than the 6-PW that I had in the Apex, and my MP-4s were cheaper while being 98% as good.

In theory, the Apex MB have a very unforgiving and high VCOG of over .900--but in practice I found them very easy to launch, neck and neck with my MP-4s, so it's something worth testing in person.

I've gotten used to my MP-4s, and its a nice relief to be satisfied with my irons. But if you want to test your MP-5 against an iron that would be a more pure take on an MB, the Apex MB definitely fits the bill.

Only thing worth considering is the aesthetics of a smaller head. The MB headsize is about the same as the Ping Blueprint. Its maybe 10%-15% smaller than my MP-4s, which in turn are I think a little smaller than the MP-5. So if you look down at your MP-5s and feel happy, the Apex might not line up so well with your preferences. If you want something smaller, though, you'll be in luck.

Ultimately, if you're still on a search for your grail iron and don't mind spending the money, they're absolutely worth a swing. Either you'll fall in love, or be satisfied with your MP-5s. The Apex MB. to my mind, play like the 1988 Hogan Redlines on feel but with legal grooves and a modern sole.

As a follow-up, this was my experience hitting the Apex MB head to head against my MP-4, in 6 iron, with identical shafts and lofts. It basically came down to the MP-4s being cheaper and having a thinner topline, which I liked. Feel was subjectively better on the Apex. I couldn’t distinguish much on performance.

In theory, the Apex have a much higher bounce than my MP-4s. I don’t find my MP-4s struggle with digging and I’m not usually fat, so sole bounce might be more relevant for others (or if I move back to FL and its soggy soil.)

I can definitely see myself owning another set of Apex MBs once they start to sell on used markets around the $300 mark—unless the MP-20s prove the perfect blend of MP-4 and MP-14. But if I can avoid it, I’ll try to wear down the grooves of my MP-4s before adopting a new set of homeless irons into my apartment.

pw2o3izekyqb.jpeg

u8ar9emeecx9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a set of raw 18 Apex MB tour issues from BST with Oban CT115 shafts. I have been playing Mizuno MP18 SC with c-taper lite S for the past two years. I now have 3 rounds in with the MB's and I believe they are more forgiving than my SC's. I have lost about 1/2 club in distance but mishits seem to go further and stay straighter. I only play 5-pw in the blades and added 3 and 4 iron in the black apex pro's.

I am super happy with these. Not sure how they differ from retail but I believe they have more grooves on the face. I would highly recommend trying these if you can get your hands on a set.

i just got mine in from cally -- (see sig)

after a round in with some range time, they certainly are easy to hit once you get over the size. my distances are on par with the srixon 785's that i have (they're weakened 2* loft), and overall they launch a smidge higher but that's mostly due in part to the shaft differences; PX in the 785s, modus 130x in the MBs.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Had mine in the bag since January. They Are not going anywhere. I actually think I am addicted to the feel of them. I could hit balls all day at the range with them. So soft. Just feel like a hot knife through butter.

They are 1 flat but over the winter I might take the 7-Pw to 2 flat

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @federerfan23 said:

> I just picked up a set of raw 18 Apex MB tour issues from BST with Oban CT115 shafts. I have been playing Mizuno MP18 SC with c-taper lite S for the past two years. I now have 3 rounds in with the MB's and I believe they are more forgiving than my SC's. I have lost about 1/2 club in distance but mishits seem to go further and stay straighter. I only play 5-pw in the blades and added 3 and 4 iron in the black apex pro's.

>

> I am super happy with these. Not sure how they differ from retail but I believe they have more grooves on the face. I would highly recommend trying these if you can get your hands on a set.

Also wanted to add....... I am not a monster like a lot of you :)

My driver SS is 100 mph and I play stiff shafts in my irons. I had a concern on being able to launch these but they are actually better than the SC's for me in this category as well.