Diary of a course employee, end of the season

> @BNGL said:

> > @596 said:

> > It takes nearly 24 man-hours to cut our fairways and nearly 80 manhours to cut all the rough. We have 27 holes but it's still a lot for a crew of 9.

>

> Just out of shear curiosity what facility is that?

> Cleveland Heights?

>

Yep! I worked there pt, then ft, now pt again. I retired about 6 years ago and took the job at maintenance for fun and to stay busy. I loved working there. Now it's just 8 to 10 hours a week.

> @596 said:

> > @BNGL said:

> > > @596 said:

> > > It takes nearly 24 man-hours to cut our fairways and nearly 80 manhours to cut all the rough. We have 27 holes but it's still a lot for a crew of 9.

> >

> > Just out of shear curiosity what facility is that?

> > Cleveland Heights?

> >

>

> Yep! I worked there pt, then ft, now pt again. I retired about 6 years ago and took the job at maintenance for fun and to stay busy. I loved working there. Now it's just 8 to 10 hours a week.

Dustin Plemons still working there?

We do fairways 3x a week, takes 2 guys 5.5 hrs. Compare that to my last course which took 7 guys about 8-10 hrs per 18 and the facility has 36 holes and they even block mow. But they could speed it up drastically if they wanted.

We do greens daily

Bunkers 5x a week

Rough 2x a week

Stepcut 3x a week currently but will go to 2x

Collections 3x

> @BNGL said:

> > @596 said:

> > > @BNGL said:

> > > > @596 said:

> > > > It takes nearly 24 man-hours to cut our fairways and nearly 80 manhours to cut all the rough. We have 27 holes but it's still a lot for a crew of 9.

> > >

> > > Just out of shear curiosity what facility is that?

> > > Cleveland Heights?

> > >

> >

> > Yep! I worked there pt, then ft, now pt again. I retired about 6 years ago and took the job at maintenance for fun and to stay busy. I loved working there. Now it's just 8 to 10 hours a week.

>

> Dustin Plemons still working there?

Sure does. He's a great boss!

Nothing special today but there was a moment I thought was kinda cool:

Every morning we have a round table and plan the day, then we break and usually finish our personal preparations before getting the machines out. Today for some reason everyone went straight to the machines.

In the early morning light it was like a scene from a war movie or a motor race, people scurrying about, the multiple mower engines starting to crank, the mechanic hopping from machine to machine checking reels, the 2 greensmower guys looking at the pin sheets, the maneuvering of the mowers past each other to out the roll-up door with the super serving as spotter giving hand signals.

Then everyone rolls into the yard and onto the course, the formation losing members as we pass a green, a tee, a fairway... until I’m all alone on the far end of the property.

Then I cut fairways for 9 hours. At least the day started well!

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Nothing special today but there was a moment I thought was kinda cool:

> Every morning we have a round table and plan the day, then we break and usually finish our personal preparations before getting the machines out. Today for some reason everyone went straight to the machines.

> In the early morning light it was like a scene from a war movie or a motor race, people scurrying about, the multiple mower engines starting to crank, the mechanic hopping from machine to machine checking reels, the 2 greensmower guys looking at the pin sheets, the maneuvering of the mowers past each other to out the roll-up door with the super serving as spotter giving hand signals.

> Then everyone rolls into the yard and onto the course, the formation losing members as we pass a green, a tee, a fairway... until I’m all alone on the far end of the property.

>

> Then I cut fairways for 9 hours. At least the day started well!

Your superintendents and co-workers would love nothing more than a stress free day of mowing fairways.

Would you rather be digging up and fixing irrigation leaks, fixing washed out bunkers, digging up and fixing electric lines and conduit, climbing trees with a chainsaw, spraying weeds in a full PPE suit up and down steep hills through thick s*** when its 115 degrees, etc, trying to motivate 25 extremely underpaid people to work 80+ hours per week for almost no compensation...

or sitting in a comfortable seat trying to make straight lines?

> @596 said:

> My favorite part of the job was starting work at 5am in the total darkness and super quiet. All alone, quiet , just you the critters. I loved being all by myself.

That’s one of the things that made me fall in love with the job. This is a 2nd career for me and I love every day. I try and stop every morning to take a sunrise picture and some of my favorites are seeing a solo tri-plex off in the distance, lights on just mowing away.

As @TexasTurf said, that’s one of the reason I was offered a 2nd assistants position. Even the crappiest of jobs I come in with a smile on my face looking for more. Coming from managing restaurants for years, I love just being outside.

> @TexasTurf said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > Nothing special today but there was a moment I thought was kinda cool:

> > Every morning we have a round table and plan the day, then we break and usually finish our personal preparations before getting the machines out. Today for some reason everyone went straight to the machines.

> > In the early morning light it was like a scene from a war movie or a motor race, people scurrying about, the multiple mower engines starting to crank, the mechanic hopping from machine to machine checking reels, the 2 greensmower guys looking at the pin sheets, the maneuvering of the mowers past each other to out the roll-up door with the super serving as spotter giving hand signals.

> > Then everyone rolls into the yard and onto the course, the formation losing members as we pass a green, a tee, a fairway... until I’m all alone on the far end of the property.

> >

> > Then I cut fairways for 9 hours. At least the day started well!

>

> Your superintendents and co-workers would love nothing more than a stress free day of mowing fairways.

>

> Would you rather be digging up and fixing irrigation leaks, fixing washed out bunkers, digging up and fixing electric lines and conduit, climbing trees with a chainsaw, spraying weeds in a full PPE suit up and down steep hills through thick **** when its 115 degrees, etc, trying to motivate 25 extremely underpaid people to work 80+ hours per week for almost no compensation...

>

> or sitting in a comfortable seat trying to make straight lines?

Oh in that regard yes, a s***ier job is always available. But after torpedoing the mower on day 1 its anything but relaxing and the more annoying bit is it always takes you to past quitting time.

As far as 115°, that would break the local all time record by almost 25°, but I get the point! We actually have a well out right now that might be all hands on deck next week digging.

> @mallrat said:

> > @596 said:

> > My favorite part of the job was starting work at 5am in the total darkness and super quiet. All alone, quiet , just you the critters. I loved being all by myself.

>

> That’s one of the things that made me fall in love with the job. This is a 2nd career for me and I love every day. I try and stop every morning to take a sunrise picture and some of my favorites are seeing a solo tri-plex off in the distance, lights on just mowing away.

>

> As @TexasTurf said, that’s one of the reason I was offered a 2nd assistants position. Even the crappiest of jobs I come in with a smile on my face looking for more. Coming from managing restaurants for years, I love just being outside.

It was a second or third or fourth for me. I was a policeman for 22 years and 10 years as a chief. Then my wife and I ran 3 different bed and breakfasts for 12 years. I didn't want to supervise anyone anymore. Just me and nature. If I messed up it was on me. If anyone else messed up it wasn't my responsibility. Golf maintenance was the best job I ever had!

James vs. the universe:

Today rain was forcast. I left for work on my bike as per normal and was confronted with a stiff headwind. Not a good way to start. Anyway once I got to work I put on some waterproofs and hopped on my reelmaster and set to work on fairways 10-18 as per usual. They were last cut on Monday.

No one was on the course so I went to a cutting order that saves time due to travel: 12-13-14-15 coffee 10-18-17-16 lunch 11. After 13 it started to rain... Then it started to rain sideways. The temperature was about 40, and I realized I was not prepared for this. I started to get cold as my gloves became waterlogged and the angle of the seat and pedals exposed the cuff of my boots. But it could have been worse, at least my reelmaster has a roof. I would sit with one hand between myself and the heated seat, the other steering and moving the reels.

So I drove in and asked for better clothing. Once equipped with knee-high boots, waterproof mittens and a hot coffee, two things happened: the rain stopped, and so did the mower. I had tried to gas it with the handbrake engaged, which automatically kills the motor. (I think) Anyway it wouldn’t start again. So I checked all the fuses and nothing helped, and then reset the handbrake and that did it; I started and off I went.

At lunch, the office told us to go stimp the greens. (Yes with the weather being what it was) I went out and discovered we don’t have any flat spots on our greens. But I took 2, 10, and 16 and all rolled to a blistering 7’-2”... The office was disappointed to say the least. Our cut height, for all you supers out there, is 3.8mm.

Then went out and cut 11, came back, blew the clippings out. And hopped on the mower and... dead again. And this time the brake wasn’t engaged, so we had no idea what the issue was. (Now 45 minutes after quitting time on Friday) Our mechanic quit on Wednesday so we didn’t have him to help... we towed the mower into the hall and said “deal with it monday” and left...

...except I couldn’t find my keys because they were in my rain pants, which were in the mud-room, which I figured 30 minutes later.

Then I could go home, yay!

frfrynx466j3.jpeg

This week the membership board and general manager came down on us: we cannot wait for seedlings any longer and must put down sod to get the greens playable by yesterday. Thousands of dollars of seed and fertilizer and greens mix and hundreds of man hours of seeding, fertilizer, and topdressing are for naught; it’s being torn up and sod is going down.

We have borrowed a sod cutter and are cutting strips from our turf nursery into 1 meter rolls. Each is 18” wide and almost 2 inches deep. Each roll weighs (by my estimation) about 75 pounds.

We also remove the topsoil from the intended location and scrapped it. If we had rivetted bunkers we could have perhaps used it for that, but we don’t (it’s a lot of work) so that’s getting dumped too. We only have the sod cutter for 4 days though, so we have to hurry to get the sod down on the 4 greens that need it.

i5lmv2tf4eo3.jpeg

@"James the Hogan Fan" this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in a long time. As an operations guy (factories, supply chain), I love seeing how people do their jobs, how they work together, put together plans, and deal with maintenance all in the spirit of serving the customer by putting out a great product. The maintenance guys are unsung heroes on the golf world that many people take for granted. Every golfer should thank their maintenance guys and let them know what a great job they are doing whenever they see them. Please keep the posts coming!

@EnderWiggin I agree, it is fun to learn how things get done. I would post every day, but I don’t want to make the Courses/Travel forum my personal blog!

Nothing special today, just more sod laying. We are really hoping these grow in ok. That said, as an unrelated public service please don’t chip on the practice greens. Like taking divots out of them. It’s a d*** move. We had to have an educational moment with some members today about how you don’t do that.

2d2ooq2bd8fc.jpeg

ong4er34qzb7.jpeg

The following is the process for a sod repair of a divot taken out of our practice green. Usually one would take a hole-cutter and cut a plug from the nursery, and swap that out with a plug taken from the green. With our ongoing sodding project we have tons of scraps and waste laying around, so it is more convenient to use those. The other advantage is being able to cut to shape instead of a 4.25” circle. The disadvantage is the shallowness of sod; replacing an established plant with a rootzone 6” or deeper with only 1”. If we were worried about discolored splotches that would be a problem, but this practice green is not our showpiece (we have 3, this one is 500 yards from the clubhouse at our short game facility.)

9qktz304e75c.jpeg

These are the divots in question. It boggles our minds as to who would be doing this, but if it’s a member there have been discussions of appropriate sanctions. That’s a few levels above my paygrade though, so I’ll just show the before and after:

7fx5uru7ou29.jpeg

tsisosypp0pp.jpeg

Hopefully those grow back nicely. For anyone interested here is what the divot looked like once removed:

3tvrupctfao8.jpeg

It might interest you to know that our course’s greens mix is almost 95% sand by weight, with the balance being peat and other organics. Our greens are bent (with fescue) and our fairways and tees are fescue (its a 4-variety 30-30-20-20 blend).

That’s all for today, except that after the day was done I enjoyed one of my perks: free golf. Off the clock I have basically all the same rights/privileges/access as members (up to and including a locker for my clubs), so I got in a quick 9 after work. Here’s our second green complex; a golf course always looks fantastic after a light rain!

lcdcfnq2xujz.jpeg

What kind of moron takes full divots like that out of a practice green?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @mallrat said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > What kind of moron takes full divots like that out of a practice green?

>

> We had 2 out of regular greens 2 weeks ago. Only think we could come up with is they were playing to a different hole. It’s amazing what people do

>

>

The rules give you relief when on the wrong green. So that is no excuse.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > > @jvincent said:

> > > What kind of moron takes full divots like that out of a practice green?

> >

> > We had 2 out of regular greens 2 weeks ago. Only think we could come up with is they were playing to a different hole. It’s amazing what people do

> >

> >

>

> The rules give you relief when on the wrong green. So that is no excuse.

Agree completely. We just couldn’t figure out why there were 2 divots out of 10 green pointing towards 12.

> @596 said:

> It was a second or third or fourth for me. I was a policeman for 22 years and 10 years as a chief. Then my wife and I ran 3 different bed and breakfasts for 12 years. I didn't want to supervise anyone anymore. Just me and nature. If I messed up it was on me. If anyone else messed up it wasn't my responsibility. Golf maintenance was the best job I ever had!

I did 30 years as a LEO in SoCal with the final 10 years in management. As I neared retirement eligibility the CM approached me and another captain regarding the chief's position that was due to be open. Neither of us wanted anything to do with it. Way too many headaches and I would have had to commit to 5 additional years.

Instead I retired and moved to So Utah and got a part-time job at a nice golf course. On Monday mornings my golfing buddy (who is a retired chief probation officer) and I take care of the bunkers, trim around sprinkler heads and do general grunt work. No stress, no one to supervise or discipline and lots of fresh air and free golf. I couldn't be happier.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @RSinSG said:

> > @596 said:

> > It was a second or third or fourth for me. I was a policeman for 22 years and 10 years as a chief. Then my wife and I ran 3 different bed and breakfasts for 12 years. I didn't want to supervise anyone anymore. Just me and nature. If I messed up it was on me. If anyone else messed up it wasn't my responsibility. Golf maintenance was the best job I ever had!

>

> I did 30 years as a LEO in SoCal with the final 10 years in management. As I neared retirement eligibility the CM approached me and another captain regarding the chief's position that was due to be open. Neither of us wanted anything to do with it. Way too many headaches and I would have had to commit to 5 additional years.

>

> Instead I retired and moved to So Utah and got a part-time job at a nice golf course. On Monday mornings my golfing buddy (who is a retired chief probation officer) and I take care of the bunkers, trim around sprinkler heads and do general grunt work. No stress, no one to supervise or discipline and lots of fresh air and free golf. I couldn't be happier.

>

That's awesome. I did a great job, I guess, when I was there. The boss never had to follow me around to check my work. Hence he never assigned me grunt work. I do nothing now except work on greens 2 mornings a week. I fix low or high plugs and fix small damage areas. As an old guy he always spared me the bunkers, the weed eater, the sod, any heavy work. I always appreciate the way I was/am treated and did/do the best I could do every time. I appreciate the golf membership I get as a result.

Hi everyone, it’s been quiet because my work has fallen into routine. Sure odd jobs pop up now and again (and it is surprising what the clubhouse needs done: clean the snack cart for us, hang this advertising banner in the trees, move the potted plants from the patio to the lobby, etc.)

Today we cut the range grass, which means we have to pick up every ball (or move it out of the way) and someone (me) had to come in an hour early to get a head start.

i4ful09zntzg.jpeg

There is something strangely satisfying about clearing the range. Much like mowing the lawn or watching a zamboni: disorder in front rendered to order behind. We have in total about 20,000 range balls. A small number of them are seen here:

pf5oc66ypsu5.jpeg

When I get a chance I’ll show off our range closet. It has the washer and the hoppers and the elevators.

About 9:00 a thunderstorm bore down on us, and that is an instant ‘stop work.’ I was going back and forth on the range tractor so half the time I could see the storm and half the time I couldn’t. As it got closer I was watching a radio mast about a half mile away. As I thought to myself that would probably make for an attractive lightning target, lightning struck it with a booming crack and I hard-overed the tractor, hopped out, and was inside the clubhouse in about 30 seconds.

For the duration of the storm we did housekeeping and general maintenance (there is always something to do) and I replaced components on broken pull-carts. We also painted some safety markings (don’t block door/store stuff here zones) in our shop to meet some code requirements. We have a 6 high schoolers who started yesterday whom I was training as well on various procedures. Then the rain stopped and everyone was back at it on the course.

Just another day at the office!

• Like 1

> @RSinSG said:

> > @596 said:

> > It was a second or third or fourth for me. I was a policeman for 22 years and 10 years as a chief. Then my wife and I ran 3 different bed and breakfasts for 12 years. I didn't want to supervise anyone anymore. Just me and nature. If I messed up it was on me. If anyone else messed up it wasn't my responsibility. Golf maintenance was the best job I ever had!

>

> I did 30 years as a LEO in SoCal with the final 10 years in management. As I neared retirement eligibility the CM approached me and another captain regarding the chief's position that was due to be open. Neither of us wanted anything to do with it. Way too many headaches and I would have had to commit to 5 additional years.

>

> Instead I retired and moved to So Utah and got a part-time job at a nice golf course. On Monday mornings my golfing buddy (who is a retired chief probation officer) and I take care of the bunkers, trim around sprinkler heads and do general grunt work. No stress, no one to supervise or discipline and lots of fresh air and free golf. I couldn't be happier.

>

This is my life aspiration. I have 22 years on and 13 to go (I started way to young). I can't wait to sit on a mower in silence. The head superintendent at my club has told me many times that the day I retire has has a seat on a mower waiting for me. Funny side story, the superintendent at our club was previously the assistant superintendent at Bel Air CC in Los Angeles. He said that they would hire as many retired cops as they could because they show up on time, do what they are told and just want to be left alone!

• Like 1

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

> @jas904 said:

> This is my life aspiration. I have 22 years on and 13 to go (I started way to young). I can't wait to sit on a mower in silence. The head superintendent at my club has told me many times that the day I retire has has a seat on a mower waiting for me. Funny side story, the superintendent at our club was previously the assistant superintendent at Bel Air CC in Los Angeles. He said that they would hire as many retired cops as they could because they show up on time, do what they are told and just want to be left alone!

Mowing fairways would be too stressful for me. Straight lines and all that technical stuff. My buddy and I edge bunkers, trim sprinkler heads, varnish wood and other jobs that don't require much thinking. I buy a new audible book every week, put on my earplugs and enjoy the outdoors. I make a whopping $8.50 an hour and get to play and practice as much as I want. Retirement is good and I suggest you don't put it off. 35 years is a lot - too much actually.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs