2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Slope setting on Range finder got turned on by accident....

> @RickKimbrell said:

> > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > No rangefinder should have slope.

>

> Only problem there is not all rangefinders are used for golf. Slope is pretty good when shooting a weapon at something comes into play.

They are also very good for practice rounds for tournament play.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> > I've been told by higher ups that as long as the player doesn't use the number in his/her decision making, the player is fine. Which leads us back to the basic assumption in the rules that everyone is acting honestly.

>

> A philosophical question: Once you have seen the number, how can you avoid “using” it?

I'd think it's impossible to. Do you deliberately take the "wrong" club just to prove you didn't use it?

> @RickKimbrell said:

> > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

>

> Only problem there is not all rangefinders are used for golf. Slope is pretty good when shooting a weapon at something comes into play.

Yep ...there is a big difference when dealing wtih a ballistic trajectory of a rifle which is predictable. I've never trusted the slopes of GPS or rangefinders on anything below or above a 10foot drop or rise.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Shilgy said:

> > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > > No rangefinder should have slope.

> >

> > Only problem there is not all rangefinders are used for golf. Slope is pretty good when shooting a weapon at something comes into play.

>

> They are also very good for practice rounds for tournament play.

Exactly. Caddies/pros use them extensively to build their yardage books.

> @Frostfield said:

> > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

>

>

> Why?

>

In context, for "golf" rangefinders if the slope setting is the only instance where you get penalized, then why have it at all? I think of this as a case where more information is not actually a benefit. Or have one rangefinder for practice and one for actual play [if one is even allowed]. Not to be too granular, but if you look at the root cause of this scenario, having the ability to switch slope on or off is the cause [keeping in mind you want to have the rangefinder while you play].

> @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > @Frostfield said:

> > > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > > No rangefinder should have slope.

> >

> >

> > Why?

> >

> ... Or have one rangefinder for practice and one for actual play [if one is even allowed]. Not to be too granular, but if you look at the root cause of this scenario, having the ability to switch slope on or off is the cause [keeping in mind you want to have the rangefinder while you play].

>

I went with a Laser Rangefinder that has two different inserts. While the one is in it has the Slope information available, put in the other insert and the slope info is no longer available.

http://www.caddytek.com/product/caddytek-golf-laser-rangefinder-caddyview-v2-slope-pin-seeking/

You have to be careful in tournament play, or get penalized. I don't feel that there should be any leniency or consideration of intent when a rule is broken. Having a rangefinder where it is "easy" to activate slope and not visible to fellow players is a dangerous device. Even if you don't use the slope feature, there will always be suspicion that you may have been using the slope feature during the tournament. I'd rather be above suspicion, so I have a laser without the slope feature.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

> @"dave willie" said:

> You have to be careful in tournament play, or get penalized. I don't feel that there should be any leniency or consideration of intent when a rule is broken. Having a rangefinder where it is "easy" to activate slope and not visible to fellow players is a dangerous device. Even if you don't use the slope feature, there will always be suspicion that you may have been using the slope feature during the tournament. I'd rather be above suspicion, so I have a laser without the slope feature.

There will always be suspicion? Lol wow!

> @Roadking2003 said:

> Another good reason not to buy them.

Agree. I looked a few of them and noticed the on/off switch location. As soon as I looked into the optics and target an object in the distance the elevation calculation if "on" is as plain as the nose on one's face. I don't know how it could be used without seeing the calculation. I, for one, don't like the inclusion of the word "intent" in the rule. It's black and white to me. Determining intent is subjective. Trust is a funny thing, kinda like trusting someone would never be a sandbagger, yet...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Frostfield said:

> > @"dave willie" said:

> > You have to be careful in tournament play, or get penalized. I don't feel that there should be any leniency or consideration of intent when a rule is broken. Having a rangefinder where it is "easy" to activate slope and not visible to fellow players is a dangerous device. Even if you don't use the slope feature, there will always be suspicion that you may have been using the slope feature during the tournament. I'd rather be above suspicion, so I have a laser without the slope feature.

>

> There will always be suspicion? Lol wow!

Played in a lot of golf tournaments in my life and have met all kinds of people. The phrase "Rules N@ZI" comes to mind. And, those guys would rather try to beat you with their "so called rules knowledge" (which quite often is bogus) than beat you with their game. I have seen guys question whether or not someone was playing a legal ball, illegal club and yes even want to see if their rangefinder had slope.

Remember the days when people walked off their yardages? As a society, we've become too dependent on technology and I'm probably as guilty of it than anyone. I'm not even sure why I even need a rangefinder since I'm pretty good with yardages and always have been just by the markers are the course. I've walked up to a par 3, saw the tee box was slightly back from the marker. Saw the flag was in the front and I just told everyone in the group that its about 150. A buddy comes and uses his rangefinder and scopes it at 148. Yet, what do I do, pick up my rangefinder and scope it myself to...148.

> @RickKimbrell said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > Another good reason not to buy them.

>

> Wasn't the answer the OP was looking for but I definitely agree. Why set yourself up for a chance to be penalized. If you can't use it legally, why become dependent upon it say in casual play.

Casual play would be the best way to learn to be less dependent on it IMO. Get used to to "translating" the two numbers vs elevation levels in your eyes.

To avoid it though, have two different lasers IMO. But hey, it's a investment to be able to

> @Shakester said:

> Remember the days when people walked off their yardages? As a society, we've become too dependent on technology and I'm probably as guilty of it than anyone. I'm not even sure why I even need a rangefinder since I'm pretty good with yardages and always have been just by the markers are the course. I've walked up to a par 3, saw the tee box was slightly back from the marker. Saw the flag was in the front and I just told everyone in the group that its about 150. A buddy comes and uses his rangefinder and scopes it at 148. Yet, what do I do, pick up my rangefinder and scope it myself to...148.

Estimating the yardage on a par3 is easy, no rocket science there. In fact, that is not estimating but calculating. Estimating takes place when you have no reference yardages of any kind.

Afa walking off the yardages is concerned that is still a valid option for everyone and not only for tour players as long as it is done when walking towards the ball instead of away from it. In past years I have seen both ways and one needs no brain to understand which one is bad for pace of play...

Been sitting on this for a few days I think OP @Frostfield ought to give the $$$ won back. Or donate a similar amount of $$$ to the men's club.

Pretty sure he's going to try to refer to me as rules fascist because he benefited from the slope function and didn't care enough to resolve it at the time. Why are you asking a week later though? I'm not here to clear your conscience. Rules are tough and at times complicated and hard to figure in real time.

Pretty sure rules of golf stipulate the competition is finished and scores are locked. So you can't be DQ'd or have your score changed. You actually get to keep whatever you won.

But we all believe that there is at least a 2 stroke penalty. Not sure how they stack after that slope function and don't really care.

At worst report what happened to the committee and they can make a blurb about it in the next email and the membership benefits from what whatever we've learned in how to deal with this case.

Personally I like the rules of golf because I have HOPES that they can be disseminated in a fair fashion. Of course we're all going to make blunders but there is no shame in that only in not fixing them to the best of our ability or NOT protecting the field. The same way we wish they would look after our interests in FAIRNESS.

Seems easiest to just learn what the rules are, make it as right as we can and play by them from now on. So you can have no regrets, feeling like you did your best because you did.

Not all of this... well that rules dumb... That's a losing proposition I think

If I knew some posters who were rules mavens I would've tagged them but I don't sorry.

Play well everyone.

> @JAMH03 said:

> Been sitting on this for a few days I think OP @Frostfield ought to give the $$$ won back. Or donate a similar amount of $$$ to the men's club.

>

> Pretty sure he's going to try to refer to me as rules fascist because he benefited from the slope function and didn't care enough to resolve it at the time. Why are you asking a week later though? I'm not here to clear your conscience. Rules are tough and at times complicated and hard to figure in real time.

>

> Pretty sure rules of golf stipulate the competition is finished and scores are locked. So you can't be DQ'd or have your score changed. You actually get to keep whatever you won.

>

> But we all believe that there is at least a 2 stroke penalty. Not sure how they stack after that slope function and don't really care.

>

> At worst report what happened to the committee and they can make a blurb about it in the next email and the membership benefits from what whatever we've learned in how to deal with this case.

>

> Personally I like the rules of golf because I have HOPES that they can be disseminated in a fair fashion. Of course we're all going to make blunders but there is no shame in that only in not fixing them to the best of our ability or NOT protecting the field. The same way we wish they would look after our interests in FAIRNESS.

>

> Seems easiest to just learn what the rules are, make it as right as we can and play by them from now on. So you can have no regrets, feeling like you did your best because you did.

>

> Not all of this... well that rules dumb... That's a losing proposition I think

>

> If I knew some posters who were rules mavens I would've tagged them but I don't sorry.

>

> Play well everyone.

>

>

>

>

What an idiot you are. Read the entire thread before judging me from your imaginary internet throne. It was a fourball event. An amateur fourball at that. My partner tied me on that hole so his score counted for our team. Being an amateur event, there was no money to be won. And in your next assumption, you assumed we won or placed....thanks!!! But we didn’t. People like you is what’s wrong with golf. You must have a blue blazer. Now scurry away and act like you never read this post.

> @JAMH03 said:

> Been sitting on this for a few days I think OP @Frostfield ought to give the $$$ won back. Or donate a similar amount of $$$ to the men's club.

>

> Pretty sure he's going to try to refer to me as rules fascist because he benefited from the slope function and didn't care enough to resolve it at the time. Why are you asking a week later though? I'm not here to clear your conscience. Rules are tough and at times complicated and hard to figure in real time.

>

> Pretty sure rules of golf stipulate the competition is finished and scores are locked. So you can't be DQ'd or have your score changed. You actually get to keep whatever you won.

>

> But we all believe that there is at least a 2 stroke penalty. Not sure how they stack after that slope function and don't really care.

>

> At worst report what happened to the committee and they can make a blurb about it in the next email and the membership benefits from what whatever we've learned in how to deal with this case.

>

> Personally I like the rules of golf because I have HOPES that they can be disseminated in a fair fashion. Of course we're all going to make blunders but there is no shame in that only in not fixing them to the best of our ability or NOT protecting the field. The same way we wish they would look after our interests in FAIRNESS.

>

> Seems easiest to just learn what the rules are, make it as right as we can and play by them from now on. So you can have no regrets, feeling like you did your best because you did.

>

> Not all of this... well that rules dumb... That's a losing proposition I think

>

> If I knew some posters who were rules mavens I would've tagged them but I don't sorry.

>

> Play well everyone.

>

>

>

>

A bit strong. The poster was simply asking a question and not everyone produced the same answer.

> @Frostfield said:

> What an idiot you are. Read the entire thread before judging me from your imaginary internet throne. It was a fourball event. An amateur fourball at that. My partner tied me on that hole so his score counted for our team. Being an amateur event, there was no money to be won. And in your next assumption, you assumed we won or placed....thanks!!! But we didn’t. People like you is what’s wrong with golf. You must have a blue blazer. Now scurry away and act like you never read this post.

In the middle of your dramatic outrage you attempt to condemn people who have "a blue blazer?" I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, people affiliated with the USGA? Country Club members? Am I missing anyone else you are attempting to insult? Go pound sand.

• Like 1

> @Shakester said:

> Remember the days when people walked off their yardages? As a society, we've become too dependent on technology and I'm probably as guilty of it than anyone. I'm not even sure why I even need a rangefinder since I'm pretty good with yardages and always have been just by the markers are the course. I've walked up to a par 3, saw the tee box was slightly back from the marker. Saw the flag was in the front and I just told everyone in the group that its about 150. A buddy comes and uses his rangefinder and scopes it at 148. Yet, what do I do, pick up my rangefinder and scope it myself to...148.

When I first bought a GPS I was shocked at how many courses had markers that were off by a amount large enough to make a difference for me. I only trust their markings once I have determined they are accurate. Basically that leaves only courses that I am very familiar with. I have gone through some courses and its not until I get late in the round that I find a marker off significantly. It gets to the point it is just as fast and easier to trust the scope rather than the courses markings.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Frostfield said:

>

> > What an idiot you are. Read the entire thread before judging me from your imaginary internet throne. It was a fourball event. An amateur fourball at that. My partner tied me on that hole so his score counted for our team. Being an amateur event, there was no money to be won. And in your next assumption, you assumed we won or placed....thanks!!! But we didn’t. People like you is what’s wrong with golf. You must have a blue blazer. Now scurry away and act like you never read this post.

>

> In the middle of your dramatic outrage you attempt to condemn people who have "a blue blazer?" I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, people affiliated with the USGA? Country Club members? Am I missing anyone else you are attempting to insult? Go pound sand.

I tend to get upset when someone questions my integrity. Call me crazy. Yes I was referring to the USGA. I have zero respect for them. Stuffy elitists out of touch with reality.