2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Did the PGA today, incredibly well run event. Bethpage Black is diabolically long, card says 7400+ feels like 15000 walking around it. The scale of the holes, the terrain, and massive layout is something el;se. The yardage book under sells it. Severe wind was in play too. Always there and gusting quite high, 70 was a super solid round.

Spent a few hours watching guys warming up in practice area, the tightness of their swings is humbling. Justin Rose has a great swing, machine precision to it. A modern Faldo.

The only downside to event was that the "bargain" on food and beverages was Grey Goose on rocks at $11. Not kidding either.

I enjoyed it and plan on going to more events major or not, could sit all day watching them warm up. The piercing ball flight, the swing and the tempo, great to watch great.

> @Bigmean said:

> Out of curiosity does the offset bother you any? It never did to me until I got used to less offset sets.... But it is easy to get accustomed to and I feel like that dart is the benchmark of offset for my where my tolerance is. I also think it is purely visual and doesn’t effect line in practice.

I'm quite used to offset like that, so it doesn't bother me too much. That said, I am really enjoying my FG62s at the moment, and they don't have much offset, so switching from them to an iron like the MP14 might cause some initial problems.

Recently got a set of 2006 Hogan Apex irons as I was curious how game improvement (as measured by the Maltby Playability Factor) they really are. Really nice feeling irons and no easier or harder to hit than any of my other blades. Had to lose the green ring ferrules for some proper Hogan red rings.

I think these will stay in the modern bag for a little while.

v9yti7i0wz4v.png

6rggb2ifgggz.jpeg

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Second game this year. 4 greens. 25 Putts. One broken driver shaft. 81.

The most common way to a low putts per round total, missing greens. I know it well. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > Second game this year. 4 greens. 25 Putts. One broken driver shaft. 81.

>

>

> The most common way to a low putts per round total, missing greens. I know it well. LOL

While my short game wasn't bad, it wasn't all roses. I made putts of roughly 8', 10', 16', 6', 6', 12', 20', 10', 8' and 20' on the last hole. It was a terribly windy day on yet another narrow mountain top course. The greens were nice and smooth, running pretty fast, with a fair bit of slope, and I was grinding on every single putt - wish I could bottle it for next time when my striking is a little better.

Irons were not as mediocre as the GIR would suggest, hit a number of nice shots that weren't rewarded. In all honesty though, I should probably change out the 4, 5 and 6 irons to something with a larger sweet spot. They feel fantastic when struck properly, but I don't have a lot of confidence I can get it done with them, playing 4 times a year and practicing the full swing once a month or so as I have been doing. The Mizuno CLK hybrid was the best club in my bag besides the short stick. Thing is an effortless 220-230yard machine. I'd like a little more of that next time out.

The broken shaft is disappointing. Hit one slightly left on the 15th hole, a sharp dog leg right and when I finished my swing I kind of dropped the club down into what should have been ground as a reaction to another ball going where it should not. On it's way, the shaft hit one of the slightly more raised than usual tee markers and I felt the head droop and that was that. Goofy bit of bad luck.

So, now I also have to find a new driver or a new shaft. I will say that I had one of my best driving days the previous round. Hit a handful of drives over 300 yards with only one missed fairway. RIP Tour AD MJ6X.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> Interesting write up on Ping’s first forged blade:

> http://www.golfwrx.com/558054/ping-blueprint-irons-are-officially-coming-to-retail/

I am intrigued by this iron, will certainly give it a go if I see it in the flesh

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

xc9dnpyxrgvv.png

vvytjlcxgw2x.png

Seriously.........for those here that venture into the debate topics, this coming from ping of all people is like ?‍♂️.

I am sure “highly skilled” will be twisted in to tiger woods only By the iron design matters sooo much side, but ping just stright up validated the small blade, with testing, and some presumable science. LMAO....

• Like 2

I just switched back to blades 7-pw (718) ...

I had trackman data to validate my switch but also the fact that I chose a split set says something.

- The ball has a better flight for me (higher, softer landing and longer) on similar hits. (Trackman validated)

- distance loss from a toed hit is minimal although my CB's are the 714 so are still a players cavity (but blades have come a long way even from the 710's I used to game)

- the biggest difference is turf interaction, if I'm going to miss and blame it on the club, it's going to be hitting it fat, with no bounce to save me those have been the most penalizing mishits.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @Bigmean said:

> Seriously.........for those here that venture into the debate topics, this coming from ping of all people is like ?‍♂️.

>

> I am sure “highly skilled” will be twisted in to tiger woods only By the iron design matters sooo much side, but ping just stright up validated the small blade, with testing, and some presumable science. LMAO....

I saw that...there was a guy used to post on TSG that he thought small, heavy headed driver was good for the same reason... more mass behind COG.

That's really the tradeoff. Can you hit it on the horizontal and vertical COG enough? If so, smaller, less forgiving is awesome.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> xc9dnpyxrgvv.png

>

> vvytjlcxgw2x.png

>

>

> Seriously.........for those here that venture into the debate topics, this coming from ping of all people is like ?‍♂️.

>

> I am sure “highly skilled” will be twisted in to tiger woods only By the iron design matters sooo much side, but ping just stright up validated the small blade, with testing, and some presumable science. LMAO....

Currently play the Apex 18 mb's, but these will get a look at by me when they come out. Like what I am reading about them. That said, the Callaways will be the benchmark for me. Had some very good scores and can not see any changes coming, but the Pings

could change that also.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Went out with four 7 irons and four 5 irons today. Miura MB001, Top Flite Pro Forged, 716 AP2, Srixon 965s. I was trying to sort out what I am gaming this year, the Pro Forged are at least a club weaker than all the others, I hit the 7i to pin high on a 135yd par3. Miuras are so damn solid, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on putting them in the bag for good. Srixons are a half club longer, don't seem to have the height and because of that, they roll out quite a bit more than I like to see.

I have a set of Modus105 shafts coming and just ordered a set of SmacWraps, next to decide what those go in.

Isaac

> @puttingmatt said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > xc9dnpyxrgvv.png

> >

> > vvytjlcxgw2x.png

> >

> >

> > Seriously.........for those here that venture into the debate topics, this coming from ping of all people is like ?‍♂️.

> >

> > I am sure “highly skilled” will be twisted in to tiger woods only By the iron design matters sooo much side, but ping just stright up validated the small blade, with testing, and some presumable science. LMAO....

>

> Currently play the Apex 18 mb's, but these will get a look at by me when they come out. Like what I am reading about them. That said, the Callaways will be the benchmark for me. Had some very good scores and can not see any changes coming, but the Pings

> could change that also.

Same here for me. The feel I get from my Apex MB 2018 is really hard to beat. I would love to look at the Wilson Staff tour iron and these Ping Blueprint to replace the Apex MB.

• Like 1

Went on an older blade kick a couple years ago and picked up a set of Titleist 660s, Mizzy MP-33's and Adams MB2 Raws. Shot my lowest 2 rounds ever with the 33's with a 68 and 69 the next week, pulled the heads and then played I20s until this year. MB2's shafted up and waiting to get out next week and try them out. Have loved the look of these and the Vega Raws for years, finally have this set anywway.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

> @Bigmean said:

>

Hell has frozen over, lol, Ping the Godfather of CB/GI has made a near honest forged blade and it's compact.....and they say it is better because of it........WTF. I used their Glide wedge for a few months. It was nice, the shaft sucked , "Spinner" snapped at triple step,put it all aside, but it was forged and the darn thing worked good. I would give these a spin.

Eye surgery is fully healed. Back to the gym Saturday, played my first full 18 since the day after I bought the MP4. I have this theory - the first skill is hit the ball consistently solidly. Then direction, then distance. I did that (hit it solid) today, thru the bag. I really have, in 2 rounds, surpassed all the solid shots I hit with P790 over 6 months. Now, to be sure, everything was shorter than I wanted and I was pulling a lot of shots. But, all in all, I was pleased. I love hitting it flush, feeling the ball compress.

Reading guys talking about Apex blades. I had a set of the raw Apex. Thought they would be 'the one.' but I could not hit them at all well (and had the same shafts in them as now, Tour V 110 S). I can't figure out why one set of heads work and another doesn't (and I sure as helI am not going to try to figure it out right now... no looking a gift horse in the mouth!). I think it must be where the COG is (vertical and horizontal) and some heads mesh with my swing.

Gonna play a lot the next week. Would like to shoot a score by end of next week. I'm going to a TPI fitness guy in early June, ordered the Swing Speed sticks. Time to shoot some scores. I just turned 67 and I am not ready admit I am not getting younger. Screu that.

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> At the range last night I saw 3 guys with MP4s in their bags. Also two guys with J15 CBs. Japanese driving ranges bring out some weird odd clubs (for example, quite a few guys with old cast GI irons from the 80s that look like Honma knock-offs), but last night was impressive for quality.

The range in Japan is something to behold. A lot of guys have nice sticks at the ranges around here - Epons, Miuras, PXG, Yamaha, PRGR, Callaway and obviously Mizuno... But, also the odd Ping, Titleist and Taylormade. Funny seeing what the old dudes bag too. Lots of XXIO. The used shops are basically half XXIO. Lots of funky staff bags too.

Thinking I might get a chance to go work on my swing tomorrow. Last game my sister and I played our first game together in our lives and, her being a total tourist, she recorded a bunch of my swings. Noticed I got really closed off. Kind of my old swing. It seemed to work with the hybrid off the tee, but it sure hurts the consistency with the driver. I think it was due to having a slight twinge in my back and also hitting balls the day before. I have to open it up some. Also, starting to see how little flow there was in the swing. Too much hit in it.

Oh, the amount of XXIO is something else, both at the range and in the secondhand shops. XXIO has its own section at my local secondhand shop. Seems to keep its value pretty well, too. I also see a bit of Phyz (sp?), which I think is Bridgestone's answer to XXIO, but nothing like the same amount as XXIO.

The new Taylormade drivers seem to be selling well, especially among the younger guys. I've noticed at my local range that older guys tend to go for JDM, whereas younger guys go for US brands, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Then there's me turning up with a different set of irons every time.

That all makes sense. Taylor made is younger and cooler an dfor sure you need a phyz ball for your xxio driver to smack if you are playing from the corporate tees...

I would love the second hand shops over there, I have gotten from a few more than once via inter webs, but in person feel and touch would be awesome. As much as I love jdm, like all golf stuff 70% of it is still

Just something to either gawk at or not give a glance to.

So i played that 9 by my house that is going to be my practice course as it checks box of walking and cheap and playable side of poor quality....I have a theory to counter Mr Blake...

It dawns on me that my

Game fell apart when I thought I reached my limit at about a 6 a couple summers ago and I started looking to make changes, did the Monty swing lesson, got lessons here etc. when the reality is, my best golf has always been played thinking about making a ball go where I want and hitting it. More like baseball or a sport than like make pretty swings at a non moving ball.

I can’t hit a straight drive with a gun to my head. But I can hit a draw or fade under the same circumstances, sure I will over cook each maybe, but I can control that. I hit a perfect 3 wood on a hard par 4 leaving a 155 8 iron. I pull hook that left of green by 5 yards(pin is right side). I throw down a ball in disgust and zero thought but “pin, hit it, idiot”

And flag it...

Why is the second shot always so much better? Maybe becuase you are

Making an athletic attempt to manipulate something where you want with no fear of consequences?

What got met thinking this is steph curry is a fantastic golfer, I am sure he plays a lot but really how much time can he possibly spend? Or these guys that just get good fast? Maybe you just let hand eye coordination and whatever take you as far as it can go? I would love to be the golfer I thought I was improving from 2 years ago. I am twice as bad now....maybe the move is forget the secrets or tricks and just do it. When you shoot a basketball, Do out think about bending your knees, elbow, pushing arm through, etc...nope. You look at target and make ball go they way....

• Like 1

Yeah there's a lot to your sentiment....the"mental game" where your unencumbered and free to just p..l..a..y.. like really kid in the sand lot play.

I've struggled with this and like you and WMB hit that wall and went deep to 'fix' things. Lol, I'm still there 3 years on but I do have a much better swing, however my mental side still lags and that on some level it is a product of lack of reps. I got out 15x last year this season, It's memorial day and have 9 holes under my belt. But last year, was one of the first where I loosened up and kept it fun, stayed in the moment, did not care about the card so much or at all. Did pretty well with it. Good runs, were best ever, bad were shorter. But looking back there's a few things I surmised. Awareness to play freely can be practiced in practice and should be part of it. That rhythm and tempo trump all but 'stick it at the flag' mentality and it means much more to overall performance in play than I ever realized when I was chasing scratch dreams. That playing smart also means playing loose and hitting at full tilt, do swing at 95% and no less. Make practice the "work". Make the course R&R and enjoyment. Savor that and not the cap because on some level your a cat chasing it's tail if you measure fun by your index and your chasing the wrong thing in the first place for the wrong reason and will end up with the wrong outcome. And it will feel all wrong.

> @Bigmean said:

> So i played that 9 by my house that is going to be my practice course as it checks box of walking and cheap and playable side of poor quality....I have a theory to counter Mr Blake...

>

> It dawns on me that my

> Game fell apart when I thought I reached my limit at about a 6 a couple summers ago and I started looking to make changes, did the Monty swing lesson, got lessons here etc. when the reality is, my best golf has always been played thinking about making a ball go where I want and hitting it. More like baseball or a sport than like make pretty swings at a non moving ball.

>

> I can’t hit a straight drive with a gun to my head. But I can hit a draw or fade under the same circumstances, sure I will over cook each maybe, but I can control that. I hit a perfect 3 wood on a hard par 4 leaving a 155 8 iron. I pull hook that left of green by 5 yards(pin is right side). I throw down a ball in disgust and zero thought but “pin, hit it, idiot”

> And flag it...

>

> Why is the second shot always so much better? Maybe becuase you are

> Making an athletic attempt to manipulate something where you want with no fear of consequences?

>

> What got met thinking this is steph curry is a fantastic golfer, I am sure he plays a lot but really how much time can he possibly spend? Or these guys that just get good fast? Maybe you just let hand eye coordination and whatever take you as far as it can go? I would love to be the golfer I thought I was improving from 2 years ago. I am twice as bad now....maybe the move is forget the secrets or tricks and just do it. When you shoot a basketball, Do out think about bending your knees, elbow, pushing arm through, etc...nope. You look at target and make ball go they way....

>

>

The more I read golfers talk about what works for them, the more I am convinced either a) none of us really has a clue other than our personal myths or b) different brains really do work differently.

I'm going to Palm Springs for a couple of days next week. Weather should be great - hot, but not beastly hot. Means everything is a lot cheaper. Playing PGA West Stadium 2x. I still remember Tip O'Neil (Speaker of the House back in the day for you youngsters) playing in the pro/am in that big deep bunker in plaid red, white & blue pants, taking swipe after swipe trying to get out of it. I hope I hit it in that bunker (forget which hole it is on). Luckily, I own no plaid pants of any color.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> So i played that 9 by my house that is going to be my practice course as it checks box of walking and cheap and playable side of poor quality....I have a theory to counter Mr Blake...

>

> It dawns on me that my

> Game fell apart when I thought I reached my limit at about a 6 a couple summers ago and I started looking to make changes, did the Monty swing lesson, got lessons here etc. when the reality is, my best golf has always been played thinking about making a ball go where I want and hitting it. More like baseball or a sport than like make pretty swings at a non moving ball.

>

> I can’t hit a straight drive with a gun to my head. But I can hit a draw or fade under the same circumstances, sure I will over cook each maybe, but I can control that. I hit a perfect 3 wood on a hard par 4 leaving a 155 8 iron. I pull hook that left of green by 5 yards(pin is right side). I throw down a ball in disgust and zero thought but “pin, hit it, idiot”

> And flag it...

>

> Why is the second shot always so much better? Maybe becuase you are

> Making an athletic attempt to manipulate something where you want with no fear of consequences?

>

> What got met thinking this is steph curry is a fantastic golfer, I am sure he plays a lot but really how much time can he possibly spend? Or these guys that just get good fast? Maybe you just let hand eye coordination and whatever take you as far as it can go? I would love to be the golfer I thought I was improving from 2 years ago. I am twice as bad now....maybe the move is forget the secrets or tricks and just do it. When you shoot a basketball, Do out think about bending your knees, elbow, pushing arm through, etc...nope. You look at target and make ball go they way....

>

>

I may have said this before, but this is absolutely the mantra that flows through all of Bob Rotella’s books. The difficulty is that you have to practice it as much as the rest of your golf game for it to be effective. After reading one of Rotella’s books, my next round is usually very good. Then the next round, I try and remember to commit to focusing on the target but swing thoughts get in the way and I’m back to normal!

In a period during the summer last year my rounds were: 93, 91, 76, 89, 93, 104 (don’t ask!), 83. I read ‘Your 15th Club’ after the 91 and shot the 76 that really should have been 2-3 shots better the next week. No range practice at all and 15 shots better!

After the 104 (16 on a par 3!), I read it again and between September and December my average round was 84 with another 76 thrown in and I got down to my lowest handicap of 9.6. Since the start of the season this year I’m trending back up, 10.5 now so I’ll be getting back to Rotella to halt the slide. I wish I could ingrain the confidence reading the books gives me on a permanent basis.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

At the range today, I experienced the same thing. Working on making a full turn, I was hitting the ball well, but with a few massive pull-hooks thrown in as I came over the top. Then I focussed on the target, and getting my hands (and by extension, the clubhead) going through the swing at the target. That produced results.

• Like 1