Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

State Match play qualifier tomorrow at a course I have only played a few times. Weather will be 50's, windy and rainy. A few 430+ par 4's on both 9's and with my 260 carry in perfect weather this will be tough. I have never playing a a tournament of this level before and with these conditions I have very low expectations. Course is more open than I am used to but the greens are very similar as it has the same course designer. Bombers paradise as all the trouble is in the 240-260 yard range. It will be a grind so I am preparing for it and my focus will be to keep double bogey off the card. I think a 79 gets me in. Just going to focus on my routine and keeping my tempo smooth. No matter what I will just try to enjoy the experience.

> @"rich s" said:

> State Match play qualifier tomorrow at a course I have only played a few times. Weather will be 50's, windy and rainy. A few 430+ par 4's on both 9's and with my 260 carry in perfect weather this will be tough. I have never playing a a tournament of this level before and with these conditions I have very low expectations. Course is more open than I am used to but the greens are very similar as it has the same course designer. Bombers paradise as all the trouble is in the 240-260 yard range. It will be a grind so I am preparing for it and my focus will be to keep double bogey off the card. I think a 79 gets me in. Just going to focus on my routine and keeping my tempo smooth. No matter what I will just try to enjoy the experience.

Good luck Rich, play well!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well that was fun!! I played some horrible golf. Windy, cold and wet. Course was mud. I was doing well until I plugged in a wet bunker and took a quad. Lost focus and shot a 93. Hard to admit that honestly but I learned a lot. Tournament golf is so different than normal golf and I need to play more events to get used to it. My driver and putter was good but my irons were horrible. Duffed a few chips do need to work on my wet lies.

Got league now and then the big league on Thursday. Golf is fun. Highly motivated right now :)

> @"rich s" said:

> Well that was fun!! I played some horrible golf. Windy, cold and wet. Course was mud. I was doing well until I plugged in a wet bunker and took a quad. Lost focus and shot a 93. Hard to admit that honestly but I learned a lot. Tournament golf is so different than normal golf and I need to play more events to get used to it. My driver and putter was good but my irons were horrible. Duffed a few chips do need to work on my wet lies.

>

> Got league now and then the big league on Thursday. Golf is fun. Highly motivated right now :)

You guys in the midwest are just getting crushed this winter/spring. Hang in there Rich. Hopefully good weather will bring with it good golf.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Well that was fun!! I played some horrible golf. Windy, cold and wet. Course was mud. I was doing well until I plugged in a wet bunker and took a quad. Lost focus and shot a 93. Hard to admit that honestly but I learned a lot. Tournament golf is so different than normal golf and I need to play more events to get used to it. My driver and putter was good but my irons were horrible. Duffed a few chips do need to work on my wet lies.

> >

> > Got league now and then the big league on Thursday. Golf is fun. Highly motivated right now :)

>

> You guys in the midwest are just getting crushed this winter/spring. Hang in there Rich. Hopefully good weather will bring with it good golf.

Hang in there, always lessons to be learned even from the bad experiences. Sometimes the weather exacerbates problems and sounds like plugged lie was a tough break.

@ebrasmus21 weather has been mostly awful. Currently 46*, rainy and windy. I feel like I moved to Seattle.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @"rich s" said:

> > > Well that was fun!! I played some horrible golf. Windy, cold and wet. Course was mud. I was doing well until I plugged in a wet bunker and took a quad. Lost focus and shot a 93. Hard to admit that honestly but I learned a lot. Tournament golf is so different than normal golf and I need to play more events to get used to it. My driver and putter was good but my irons were horrible. Duffed a few chips do need to work on my wet lies.

> > >

> > > Got league now and then the big league on Thursday. Golf is fun. Highly motivated right now :)

> >

> > You guys in the midwest are just getting crushed this winter/spring. Hang in there Rich. Hopefully good weather will bring with it good golf.

>

> Hang in there, always lessons to be learned even from the bad experiences. Sometimes the weather exacerbates problems and sounds like plugged lie was a tough break.

>

> @ebrasmus21 weather has been mostly awful. Currently 46*, rainy and windy. I feel like I moved to Seattle.

We're still getting rain here in Fresno. Very unusual weather for us.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks guys, the weather has been nothing short of brutal. Most courses have barely been open and a few of them are closed right now. I knew it was going to be hard today and just wanted to make sure I had a good time, which I did. Don’t want to put a bunch of pressure on myself when it’s this crappy out. Forecast looks better so hopefully we have a nice day Thursday. Might take up bowling if every spring is going to be like this lol.

The competitive golf journey continues! Had a league tournament last night. Got to the range early to dial in my irons and really felt good. Did not do any chipping (which I wished I had) but did a decent amount of lag putting.

Get on the first tee and I had next to zero nerves and a good amount of confidence. It was WINDY, talking gusts over 30mph, about as windy as I have ever played in. Hit a perfect tee shot and away we went. I am not going to break it down hole by hole but here is what I will tell you, my tee to green was extremely good. I flighted it low unless I was with the wind. I kept my focus all 18 holes.

My chipping was HORRIBLE. For as long as I can remember, I have chipped (within 30 yards of the green) with my PW, nothing else. I move it in my stance to control trajectory and play a bump and run whenever I can. This season I have tried to use my 54 (12 degrees bounce). This club has killed my last two competitive rounds. I found off a perfect lie, its deadly but when its muddy or just more bare, I suck with it. Half way through my round last night I switched back to my PW for those lies and used the 54 for the perfect lies and it made a difference. I will stick to this approach for a while and see how it goes. This spring has really made the conditions difficult as all the courses have been very wet and muddy.

Putting...I actually putted off the green last night. I did make the 20'er coming back though. The last two tournaments have been crazy windy and I am realizing the wind messes with my head on the green. On the first 9, my putting and a couple chips killed me and I shot a 40. Second 9 my putting and chipping was better. I went for a short par 4 and just barely hit it into the water and then on the closing hole I had 240 over water on the par 5 with a uphill lie. I hit hybrid a mile into the air and the wind took it left of the green and it hit the cart path and into the woods. I played some great golf into those conditions leading up to the last two holes. Ended shooting another 40 and finished 3rd gross.

I am extremely happy. Focus and nerves are getting better in competitive rounds. I did not let my playing partners play distract me. We had long waits and I kept my mind off golf until it was my turn. 80 is not a good score but in that wind it is not bad but it was a major mental improvement for me. Really feel like I rounded the corner last night. Going to work hard on my short game and practice putting whenever it is windy. I will go to courses that have exposed practice greens. One thing I forgot to mention was I took a bad drop. I did not think it through and had a horrible stance. That costed me a stroke. Lesson learned.

They have not entered my score yet but I should be trending at about a 5.6 I believe.

• Like 1

Played off the tips this morning. Couple blow up holes and shot 84. Played a 9 hole match this afternoon and played well. Shot one over but missed a few short birdie putts. It just came down to a few mistakes this morning costing me more than they should have. Definitely need to get better at grinding after a bad tee shot. I try to get to much out of the next shot and ends in a double or worse. Weather is now going to be absolute crap so not sure when I will play next.

Well time for a change. I am happy with how I play when just having a fun round with friends but I shot a 81 in a tournament yesterday and played awful. Two nights ago flushed my irons, was one under thru 6, and yesterday not so much. Lately I have been playing way more than practicing and it is not working.

Starting today, I am going to purposeful practice the majority of the time. Main focus will be short game and putting. Going to start putting a line on the ball and force myself to use it.

My irons are what cost me yesterday. I try to get rid of my cupped wrist early in the backswing and under pressure, I revert back to pieces of my pre-Dan swing. Plan is to develop a rock solid routine and make that my main focus of my iron practice.

Got league Tuesday and a tournament next thursday. I will try to put in about 3 hours a day of practice each off day and see how I play Thursday.

I am angry that this pressure is getting to me. I am happy that the pressure shows the weak areas of my game. Golf is hard. I am done posting fun rounds to my handicap. I play enough competitive rounds to just use those. Trending over a 6 right now :(

@"rich s" - I feel your pain! I keep having 1-2 disaster holes where part of old swing creeps in and collides with new swing and blows up my score. I gave up 7 strokes in two holes yesterday to shoot 84 instead of 77

Keep at it!

I've got my state Mid-Am tomorrow and Sunday, we'll see how I can hold up under that pressure and conditions.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> @"rich s" - I feel your pain! I keep having 1-2 disaster holes where part of old swing creeps in and collides with new swing and blows up my score. I gave up 7 strokes in two holes yesterday to shoot 84 instead of 77

> Keep at it!

>

> I've got my state Mid-Am tomorrow and Sunady, we'll see how I can hold up under that pressure and conditions.

I had 38 putts yesterday and only missed one fairway. Have not been this mad in a while. I was very nervous, have no idea why but gitters were out of control. Hate that. The greens were set-up to max difficulty. Crazy fast and pins on slopes that would just barely hold the ball. I had a downhill birdie attempt from 4' that took an honest 10 seconds to roll 6' past the hole.

Dude you got this, can't wait to hear how you do.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > @"rich s" - I feel your pain! I keep having 1-2 disaster holes where part of old swing creeps in and collides with new swing and blows up my score. I gave up 7 strokes in two holes yesterday to shoot 84 instead of 77

> > Keep at it!

> >

> > I've got my state Mid-Am tomorrow and Sunady, we'll see how I can hold up under that pressure and conditions.

>

> I had 38 putts yesterday and only missed one fairway. Have not been this mad in a while. I was very nervous, have no idea why but gitters were out of control. Hate that. The greens were set-up to max difficulty. Crazy fast and pins on slopes that would just barely hold the ball. I had a downhill birdie attempt from 4' that took an honest 10 seconds to roll 6' past the hole.

>

> Dude you got this, can't wait to hear how you do.

My putting hasn't been as good as the start of the season either - I mostly blame going from dormant, decent speed to aerated/top dressed super slow and then back to quick finally as the main culprit, as it has mostly been my long distance putting that has suffered, and led to 3 putts. I had 33 putts yesterday, with two 3-putts and another two 2-putts that should've been up-and-down 1-putts. I have a feeling the greens will be rolling quick, but nicely tomorrow.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > @"rich s" - I feel your pain! I keep having 1-2 disaster holes where part of old swing creeps in and collides with new swing and blows up my score. I gave up 7 strokes in two holes yesterday to shoot 84 instead of 77

> > > Keep at it!

> > >

> > > I've got my state Mid-Am tomorrow and Sunady, we'll see how I can hold up under that pressure and conditions.

> >

> > I had 38 putts yesterday and only missed one fairway. Have not been this mad in a while. I was very nervous, have no idea why but gitters were out of control. Hate that. The greens were set-up to max difficulty. Crazy fast and pins on slopes that would just barely hold the ball. I had a downhill birdie attempt from 4' that took an honest 10 seconds to roll 6' past the hole.

> >

> > Dude you got this, can't wait to hear how you do.

>

> My putting hasn't been as good as the start of the season either - I mostly blame going from dormant, decent speed to aerated/top dressed super slow and then back to quick finally as the main culprit, as it has mostly been my long distance putting that has suffered, and led to 3 putts. I had 33 putts yesterday, with two 3-putts and another two 2-putts that should've been up-and-down 1-putts. I have a feeling the greens will be rolling quick, but nicely tomorrow.

I said screw the practice and bought a new Cameron...just kidding on the practice but I did buy a new putter. The old one needs to know it is replaceable

• Like 1

Sometimes the putter needs to be put in timeout, even if briefly.

Last year I changed my putters, my putting grip, and my stroke to a slight arc from a straight back and thru style. It's paying off, but still a little work to do.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I have been putting in 3 hours a day of solid purposeful practice. I set-up shots and have to hit a certain percentage before moving on. Puts some real pressure on and so far so good. After each practice I played a few holes. Seeing a improvement in putting. Last night after putting and short game practice I took 7 balls out onto the course. I have trouble areas (deep in trees, thick rough 30 yards out, steel downhill lies, downhill bunkers shortsided green running away etc.) Goal was 5 good shots out of 7 and I kept doing it until I get it. It was just an awesome practice session.

I got three events this week. Hopefully the long hours of practice paying off but its not been that long so I plan on continuing it no matter what.

• Like 1

Changed the thread title as conquering my tournament demons is now my main focus. Got to play 36 with a friend a few days ago that just graduated college and will be playing mini tours soon trying to make it to the big show. His mental game was such an eye opening experience. Every time we got to his ball (not on the tee or the green) he would say "perfect". The more holes we played the more this had an impact on me. He had some narly lies but still "perfect". Needless to say, I don't say perfect when I am on a crap lie. He pointed out after the round that every time I got negative at all, I hit a poor shot. He said he could call my shot by the end and he was right.

We also talked strategy. You hear people say, take double out of play. He takes it way farther than I do. I listened to everything he said and never took a double doing it his way. Hard for me to explain this but all I can say is I never took that advice far enough before. Its not about trying to save par, its about "I will NOT take a double".

He also shared that I go too long between when I look at the target last to when I swing. I am at like 6 seconds and he said I need to be around 2. Folks if you have never tried this, try it. You don't have time to think about what could go wrong, you just hit to a target. Its a very new feeling.

Putting...he gave me a thorough look over. Had me hit a bunch of putts. Alignment was perfect, it was all about my transition. Gave me a few ideas but the one that worked the most was taking the club back farther which smooths everything out. I get really punchy especially in stressful situations.

Chipping- this guy got up and down from everywhere, everywhere!! His technique was so pure, so boring, so vanilla. Dead ball that landed so soft and was always within 2 feet of the hole. He taught me the basics, I will be working hard on this and the putting. His technique reminded me of when I went to see Dan.

My long game is great, and that was my focus all winter. Mental game and short game are the focus for me and I really feel like I got a clear path now.

This is getting long so I will end with this, I played a tournament yesterday. I played some amazing golf. Had a 10'er for eagle and three putted, after that the round started slipping. I kept it together and finished 3 over on the front. On the back I got into trouble on 10. Kept my head about me and managed a bogey. Made one mental error on a par 5 and took a 9. Normally the wheel would have come off but I ground hard and finished the round with a birdie shooting an 81. That score sucks but that was my best my mental game has been in a tournament.

Here are the takaways from the last two days:

-STAY POSITIVE no matter what

-I will NOT take a double

-Putting practice: gate drill, longer backswing, smooth transition

-chipping: better technique, longer backswing, smooth transition=dead ball

-check target right before swinging

> @"rich s" said:

> Changed the thread title as conquering my tournament demons is now my main focus. Got to play 36 with a friend a few days ago that just graduated college and will be playing mini tours soon trying to make it to the big show. His mental game was such an eye opening experience. Every time we got to his ball (not on the tee or the green) he would say "perfect". The more holes we played the more this had an impact on me. He had some narly lies but still "perfect". Needless to say, I don't say perfect when I am on a crap lie. He pointed out after the round that every time I got negative at all, I hit a poor shot. He said he could call my shot by the end and he was right.

>

> We also talked strategy. You hear people say, take double out of play. He takes it way farther than I do. I listened to everything he said and never took a double doing it his way. Hard for me to explain this but all I can say is I never took that advice far enough before. Its not about trying to save par, its about "I will NOT take a double".

>

> He also shared that I go too long between when I look at the target last to when I swing. I am at like 6 seconds and he said I need to be around 2. Folks if you have never tried this, try it. You don't have time to think about what could go wrong, you just hit to a target. Its a very new feeling.

>

> Putting...he gave me a thorough look over. Had me hit a bunch of putts. Alignment was perfect, it was all about my transition. Gave me a few ideas but the one that worked the most was taking the club back farther which smooths everything out. I get really punchy especially in stressful situations.

>

> Chipping- this guy got up and down from everywhere, everywhere!! His technique was so pure, so boring, so vanilla. Dead ball that landed so soft and was always within 2 feet of the hole. He taught me the basics, I will be working hard on this and the putting. His technique reminded me of when I went to see Dan.

>

> My long game is great, and that was my focus all winter. Mental game and short game are the focus for me and I really feel like I got a clear path now.

>

> This is getting long so I will end with this, I played a tournament yesterday. I played some amazing golf. Had a 10'er for eagle and three putted, after that the round started slipping. I kept it together and finished 3 over on the front. On the back I got into trouble on 10. Kept my head about me and managed a bogey. Made one mental error on a par 5 and took a 9. Normally the wheel would have come off but I ground hard and finished the round with a birdie shooting an 81. That score sucks but that was my best my mental game has been in a tournament.

>

> Here are the takaways from the last two days:

> -STAY POSITIVE no matter what

> -I will NOT take a double

> -Putting practice: gate drill, longer backswing, smooth transition

> -chipping: better technique, longer backswing, smooth transition=dead ball

> -check target right before swinging

>

>

He was teaching you to play golf... You have been trying to play golfswing, it can work during no pressure days, but not while in a tournament.

Good on you. Welcome to the fun part.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Changed the thread title as conquering my tournament demons is now my main focus. Got to play 36 with a friend a few days ago that just graduated college and will be playing mini tours soon trying to make it to the big show. His mental game was such an eye opening experience. Every time we got to his ball (not on the tee or the green) he would say "perfect". The more holes we played the more this had an impact on me. He had some narly lies but still "perfect". Needless to say, I don't say perfect when I am on a crap lie. He pointed out after the round that every time I got negative at all, I hit a poor shot. He said he could call my shot by the end and he was right.

> >

> > We also talked strategy. You hear people say, take double out of play. He takes it way farther than I do. I listened to everything he said and never took a double doing it his way. Hard for me to explain this but all I can say is I never took that advice far enough before. Its not about trying to save par, its about "I will NOT take a double".

> >

> > He also shared that I go too long between when I look at the target last to when I swing. I am at like 6 seconds and he said I need to be around 2. Folks if you have never tried this, try it. You don't have time to think about what could go wrong, you just hit to a target. Its a very new feeling.

> >

> > Putting...he gave me a thorough look over. Had me hit a bunch of putts. Alignment was perfect, it was all about my transition. Gave me a few ideas but the one that worked the most was taking the club back farther which smooths everything out. I get really punchy especially in stressful situations.

> >

> > Chipping- this guy got up and down from everywhere, everywhere!! His technique was so pure, so boring, so vanilla. Dead ball that landed so soft and was always within 2 feet of the hole. He taught me the basics, I will be working hard on this and the putting. His technique reminded me of when I went to see Dan.

> >

> > My long game is great, and that was my focus all winter. Mental game and short game are the focus for me and I really feel like I got a clear path now.

> >

> > This is getting long so I will end with this, I played a tournament yesterday. I played some amazing golf. Had a 10'er for eagle and three putted, after that the round started slipping. I kept it together and finished 3 over on the front. On the back I got into trouble on 10. Kept my head about me and managed a bogey. Made one mental error on a par 5 and took a 9. Normally the wheel would have come off but I ground hard and finished the round with a birdie shooting an 81. That score sucks but that was my best my mental game has been in a tournament.

> >

> > Here are the takaways from the last two days:

> > -STAY POSITIVE no matter what

> > -I will NOT take a double

> > -Putting practice: gate drill, longer backswing, smooth transition

> > -chipping: better technique, longer backswing, smooth transition=dead ball

> > -check target right before swinging

> >

> >

>

> He was teaching you to play golf... You have been trying to play golfswing, it can work during no pressure days, but not while in a tournament.

>

> Good on you. Welcome to the fun part.

For sure, you nailed it. He gave me a book to read. 1/4 of the way through it and I'm shocked I was able to play as well as I have with how screwed up I have been in my mental game, goals, focus etc. Feel like a weight has been lifted. Really proud of the progress I made yesterday mentally.

Rich - when are you going to machine your own putter? Or, maybe the better is question is have you already done so?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @"rich s" said:

> > @parmark said:

> > Care to share book title? Fun reading, keep it up. Thanks for sharing the journey.

> > Where in WI? I work around Milwaukee at times, some great courses to play.

>

> Mastering Golf's Mental Game

> My home course is Mascoutin which is in Berlin. Its about 10 minutes away from Lawsonia.

Goodness gracious. I used to organize a 20 guy trip, from 1995ish to 2002ish, to Lawsonia and Mascoutin was a 36 holer for us after playing 36 at Lawsonia.

That newer 9 just never fit with the old 18 in my mind. I always really enjoyed the Woodlands, quite a fun track and couldn't be more different than the Links.

Fun courses and great rates as I recall. Used to play 18 either in Chicago area or in Milwaukee then the 72 holes in Green Lake followed by an 18 in Fond Du Lac on the way home. Rented houses at Lawsonia.

Ate plenty of breakfasts at the Little Corporal. Used to watch the Bulls in the finals at the Heidel House bar/grill. Never did play Tuscumbia but looked like quite the shooting gallery.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @parmark said:

> > > Care to share book title? Fun reading, keep it up. Thanks for sharing the journey.

> > > Where in WI? I work around Milwaukee at times, some great courses to play.

> >

> > Mastering Golf's Mental Game

> > My home course is Mascoutin which is in Berlin. Its about 10 minutes away from Lawsonia.

>

> Goodness gracious. I used to organize a 20 guy trip, from 1995ish to 2002ish, to Lawsonia and Mascoutin was a 36 holer for us after playing 36 at Lawsonia.

> That newer 9 just never fit with the old 18 in my mind. I always really enjoyed the Woodlands, quite a fun track and couldn't be more different than the Links.

> Fun courses and great rates as I recall. Used to play 18 either in Chicago area or in Milwaukee then the 72 holes in Green Lake followed by an 18 in Fond Du Lac on the way home. Rented houses at Lawsonia.

> Ate plenty of breakfasts at the Little Corporal. Used to watch the Bulls in the finals at the Heidel House bar/grill. Never did play Tuscumbia but looked like quite the shooting gallery.

That's awesome!!! I agree on the new 9. People from all over come to play it but I much prefer the original 18. Mascoutin is a true gem. The couple that run it work their butts off and it is in perfect condition. Far enough away from everything that it does not get hardly any traffic and is just a very difficult course. I love Lawsonia but would take Mascoutin (and have since I am a member here). If you or anyone else reading this is ever in the area, let me know and we can play a round! Tuscumbia is nothing special, not worth the time. Sand Valley is only a little over and hour away too. Great little destination spot here!

> @"rich s" said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > Rich - when are you going to machine your own putter? Or, maybe the better is question is have you already done so?

>

> its been a crazy spring. My plan is to make mine over winter. I have nothing better to do. It will happen though!!

Looking forward to seeing the prototype

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @"rich s" said:

> Changed the thread title as conquering my tournament demons is now my main focus. Got to play 36 with a friend a few days ago that just graduated college and will be playing mini tours soon trying to make it to the big show. His mental game was such an eye opening experience. Every time we got to his ball (not on the tee or the green) he would say "perfect". The more holes we played the more this had an impact on me. He had some narly lies but still "perfect". Needless to say, I don't say perfect when I am on a crap lie. He pointed out after the round that every time I got negative at all, I hit a poor shot. He said he could call my shot by the end and he was right.

>

> We also talked strategy. You hear people say, take double out of play. He takes it way farther than I do. I listened to everything he said and never took a double doing it his way. Hard for me to explain this but all I can say is I never took that advice far enough before. Its not about trying to save par, its about "I will NOT take a double".

>

> He also shared that I go too long between when I look at the target last to when I swing. I am at like 6 seconds and he said I need to be around 2. Folks if you have never tried this, try it. You don't have time to think about what could go wrong, you just hit to a target. Its a very new feeling.

>

> Putting...he gave me a thorough look over. Had me hit a bunch of putts. Alignment was perfect, it was all about my transition. Gave me a few ideas but the one that worked the most was taking the club back farther which smooths everything out. I get really punchy especially in stressful situations.

>

> Chipping- this guy got up and down from everywhere, everywhere!! His technique was so pure, so boring, so vanilla. Dead ball that landed so soft and was always within 2 feet of the hole. He taught me the basics, I will be working hard on this and the putting. His technique reminded me of when I went to see Dan.

>

> My long game is great, and that was my focus all winter. Mental game and short game are the focus for me and I really feel like I got a clear path now.

>

> This is getting long so I will end with this, I played a tournament yesterday. I played some amazing golf. Had a 10'er for eagle and three putted, after that the round started slipping. I kept it together and finished 3 over on the front. On the back I got into trouble on 10. Kept my head about me and managed a bogey. Made one mental error on a par 5 and took a 9. Normally the wheel would have come off but I ground hard and finished the round with a birdie shooting an 81. That score sucks but that was my best my mental game has been in a tournament.

>

> Here are the takaways from the last two days:

> -STAY POSITIVE no matter what

> -I will NOT take a double

> -Putting practice: gate drill, longer backswing, smooth transition

> -**chipping: better technique, longer backswing, smooth transition=dead ball**

> -check target right before swinging

>

>

I have to remind myself of this every now and then. It takes the duff completely out of the equation for me. I'm not a bump n run guy. I get short and stabby trying to hit that shot. Sometimes it's a bit heavy, but I never suffer the dreaded 50 ft chip/pitch that goes 25 ft.

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won