Torrey+??

Dysfunkshun

My dad and I are planning a trip to the area end of June and are looking for a few other options. We want to play Torrey, but is it possible to call and book ahead? It seems like they only do 5 days out or so online. We're thinking of staying there maybe 5-6 days, so we're trying to decide what other courses in the area are must plays. So far from my little research, maybe:

Rams Hill

Maderas

PGA West Stadium

Any others I'm missing? Preferably somewhere I can book in the next few days so we have an itinerary to go by. Thank you in advance for any help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines

you can call in up to 90 days in advance to make a tee time but comes with a $45 fee. Alternatively you can show up early and walk on, lots of threads about that on here. Given youre here for almost a week shouldn't be overly difficult to do on a weekday if. bear in mind the south course is undergoing renovations 2 holes at a time. It is also worth noting that Ram's Hill is about 2 hours and palm springs about 2.5-3 from san diego. Fun places and worth the drive but just something to keep in mind when planning the trip. if you belong to a private and can get some reciprocity that's probably a good option otherwise idk if there are any other courses i would say are "cant miss"

If you are considering going all the way to PGA West (Palm Springs) that really opens a ton of possibilities. My brother and I LOVE Classic Club. Our favorite track in PS. It’s hot there in the summer so the crack of dawn is your friend. Also don’t be afraid to start a twilight round at like 4 pm. The prices are way better and the courses are dead. You will finish before dark no problem.

PGA West: Stadium course is awesome, as well as the Nicklaus tournament course. Other courses in that area I've played are the La Quinta Dunes and Mountain courses both fun tracks. I personally preferred the Dunes course.

Ram's Hill: The nicest course I've ever played, I literally couldn't find anything at fault with it. Excellent layout, perfectly manicured, good greens. If you're there check out Borrego Springs Resort course as well. It's a shorter, less interesting layout but when I went (early January) I actually thought the greens were even more pure that at Ram's Hill by just a touch.

TM Stealth2 HZRDUS Black 6.0 60g

Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Ping G430 19* HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 80g

Srixon ZX7 4-PW C-Taper Lite 110s

Cleveland RTX 6 50,56,60

Ping PLD Oslo 4

Torrey Pines South has been easy to get on due to construction affecting 2-4 holes the past few weeks and the course modifications will go through the end of summer. North course has been packed as a result.

Steele Canyon is comparable to Maderas, it's a Gary Player design.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

• 2 weeks later...

Rams Hill is now closed for the summer, and they're targeting reopening a little early than usual in October.

Do NOT play Torrey South right now. There is a good reason tee times are wide open for the South course - it's in horrible shape. They tell you they have 2 holes closed at a time while they're doing the remodel work, and that doesn't sound too bad. But they don't tell you much of the rest of the course is also torn up and under heavy maintenance. The greens are actually OK although they've been sanding them heavily, but there are major chunks of the course that are in very rough shape right now. Despite this, they're not discounting resident green fees at all and only knocking a minuscule $20 off the visitor rate, leaving it still overpriced. If you're trying to play South, you'll be bitterly (more like angrily) disappointed.

@Clambake thank you for the heads up! I was just about to book (try to atleast) for a Labor day but having second thoughts. Not to thread steal, but any recommendations for SD. I'n hearing La Costa might be a good one for the money.

Taylormade Stealth+ 8* Hulk TX
Taylormade Sim 4w Tensei Pro White 70TX
Taylormade Sim 2i Nunchuck

Srixon ZX7 4-PW TI DG X1
Taylormade MG3 50, 55* TI DG X1
Wedgeworks 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S4
Goodwood Custom
PV1 Left Dash

> @kekoa said:

> Why does Rams Hill close during summer?

The temps push past 115-120 in the summer. Water in Borrego is more restricted than almost anywhere else around, and they don't do an overseed like some courses - they just use a strain of Bermuda that goes dormant in the heat. And the Borrego area is tiny compared to the Palm Springs region, so they just don't get the traffic in the summer that could make it worthwhile to follow the similar steps - they'd lose a ton of money if they tried. They've gone bankrupt before, and seem to have found a formula that's working for them now.

> @PuttForDough100 said:

> @Clambake thank you for the heads up! I was just about to book (try to atleast) for a Labor day but having second thoughts. Not to thread steal, but any recommendations for SD. I'n hearing La Costa might be a good one for the money.

I don't care for La Costa much at all. I think the Champions (formerly the North course) is much better than the Legends, but it always seems to have issues. I have a couple friends who have their corporate membership at La Costa so they can play for free, and yet they usually pass and pay to play elsewhere. I think that pretty much sums the place up.

It's possible that Torrey South will be decent by Labor Day, but I don't think I'd bet on it. The North is in good shape, but its tee sheet is jammed these days with so few people playing South.

Maderas and Aviara are a couple of the premium places, and I've played both in the last week and they're in excellent condition. Aviara was having a lot of issues with their rough, but it seems to be much better now. All the rains we've had this spring have really helped both courses. Aviara is coastal and won't likely see a lot of issues over the summer, so it should be good by Labor Day. Maderas is inland and it gets pretty hot there in the summer so it sometimes dries out by the end of the summer; it is still very playable, but just is firm and fast. They have their own well but that usually isn't enough to cover their water needs, but since they haven't had to purchase any water this year they should have plenty in the budget if they need to do so over the summer. They have a new greenskeeper and he's doing some really good things, so I expect it will stay in great shape.

Steele Canyon is a bit like Maderas in layout and feel, just not as nicely done and the condition is usually a bit rougher, but it is a fun place. Sort of a budget version of Maderas.

Barona Creek will re-open their back nine later this month. If the renovations were successful it should be great as it is a really good course and one of my favorites in the area. I'll play it as soon as it's open and report back.

Arrowood is a fun layout and has been in very good condition the last couple years. Good value and fun to play.

Golf Club of California is also fun, but I can't speak to the condition recently as I haven't been there in a while. They've been in and out of bankruptcy so their maintenance was suffering for a while, but the last time I was there it was clear they were investing in conditioning again.

Farther north, the Journey at Pechanga in Temecula is a blast. It's a roller coaster ride up and down the mountain, and has been in stellar condition the last couple times I was there. Highly recommended. Look for the occasional deal on Underpar.com which makes it a great value.