2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Getting into the 80s

First figure out and then practice hitting a standard chip shot, nothing fancy rock shoulders back and forward and let the ball run up.

Chipping and putting will be the two biggest single drivers of score improvement for a 90's shooter and are the two things that you can practice and get close to expert level on without natural talent.

Getting better at golf is never about one thing. It's getting incrementally better at everything (driving, irons, chipping, putting, thinking) and then being able to connect all the dots when you are on the course. Also progress is not linear- one step ahead three back.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

> @Itsjustagame said:

> Getting better at golf is never about one thing. It's getting incrementally better at everything (driving, irons, chipping, putting, thinking) and then being able to connect all the dots when you are on the course. Also progress is not linear- one step ahead three back.

This is it. Improve your full swing, improve your short game, and improve your putting. Full swing will mean more tee shots in play, fewer penalty strokes, more greens in regulation. That's probably where you can improve the most. Improving short game and putting is probably where you can cut strokes quickly, but there's a limit to how much improvement you can get from those skills.

Hit the practice green and spend a lot of time with a wedge in your yard or local park. At the range find one club to tee off with and get real comfortable splitting fairways with it. Tune into rhythm and tempo a lot more too. A huge source of miss hits is losing sight of it. Acquiring better swing mechanics is a long term, long road issue. The other things can yield better play within months and keep you comfortably in the 80's.

If you have a decent swing/ball flight and are playing the right tees (i.e. can get to all the greens in regulation absent a very bad tee shot):

a) Get off the tee box without penalty shots (either explicit in hazard/OB or so far into the trees you have no shot at hitting the green).

b) Inside of ~75 yards get down in no worse than 3 the vast majority of the time. I think this is more important than the up and down %. The up and down % is largely a function of what kind of spots you put yourself in with your irons shots. To break 90, the key is not wasting shots, and a lot of the time this has to do with playing smart and not taking on high risk shots (also need to be able to play some basic pitch/chip/bunker shots). The Mickelson flop is cool but often it leads to a double when hitting it 15 feet past the hole is an easy bogey or maybe a par.

c) Putting: for someone around 90, I assume you can two putt from 30 feet or less 75%-90% of the time? If so, I'd say practice 3-4 foot putts. At this skill level, it's hard to get even basic short game shots (decent lie, green to work with) and longer lag putts to tap in range consistently. Also, 3 putts will happen just from mediocre iron shots. But when you get a chip/pitch or long lag putt around the hole you need to capitalize.

What is your game like right now? As other have mentioned, golf is often about improving a bit everywhere. However, there may be 1 or 2 particularly weak spots that you can improve upon the most quickly. For 10 rounds, track the following:

-Fairways

-GIR

-3 putts

-Penalty shots

-number of time taking 4 shots within 75 yards of the green.

-Pars or better

-Doubles or worse

I'd assume there's 4 or so decent shots at par each round; either short/medium length par 3s, a short par 4, or an easier par 5. Add 1-2 other up/down conversions, and the key to break 90 is to eliminate the blow-up holes / wasted shots.

> @Nicodimas said:

> I want what people here personally did to break into the 80s. Just your general advice what helped you the most ?

>

> Help! ( I am hitting around 91-93 right now)

First things first.

1. Set a benchmark score like 86, that's 43 per side.

2. Learn to love your 7 iron (make it your go-to club)

3. Play the percentages (no miracle shots exist)

4. Don't leave yourself second putts (learn how to lag)

All about the GIR. Or at least within a few yards of the GIR to give you a shot at two putt bogey at worst. You can save an occasional stroke or two working on short game around the green but more precipitous reductions of score means being able to get dancing for shots at bird.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

You have to figure out where the majority of the extra shots are coming from specific to you. Are you duffing full shots? How many times? Are you stubbing/blading chips? How many times? Are you missing both directions? Are you 3-putting? Are you thinking your way around the course or focused on your swing? Are you actively working on your weaknesses in between rounds or just playing rounds hoping it all comes together one day? Do you have an understanding of your swing, short game, and putting to know, specifically, what you need to be working on? Are you working on those things with a plan?

1. Develop a short game method that is the most consistent for you.

2. Specifically work on swing faults that result in disaster shots. Strive for the best impact you can with as predictable and one sided miss as possible. Become a student of your swing.

3. Ignore the flag and aim/hit to the middle of green or safest spot possible keeping your general miss in mind. Think strategically. If there's trouble in front of the middle of the green don't be afraid to play to the side if missing short is worse.

4. Play away from trouble. With trouble everywhere pick the least penalizing trouble.

5. Putting speed is more important than line. Line changes with speed.

6. Analyze your short/long misses. For many people in this scoring range it's better to use back of green yardarge rather than flag yardage. You mishit enough that coming up short puts you on the green and you'll rarely flush one over the back.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

You probably suck at driving. It's the biggest and most important test of a golfer's long game when they're trying to get down in the 80s.

You need to find a shot you can hit consistently. A golfer can play a fade all day if he knows it's coming. You just have to be repeatable.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

OP, I'm not one to give advice - my game is pretty much where yours is - but I can tell you what's worked for me. Most of my extra strokes have been due to a duck hook I've developed off the tee over the past year. I used to drive the ball well, so I kept pulling the driver during rounds, determined to 'find my swing', and ended up wet or in the woods. After some hard work, I finally figured out my swing fault on the range and can find the fairway consistently.

This has given me confidence in other areas of my game, and I have no problems leaving the driver in the bag in favor of a 3 wood, hybrid, or iron. Before I tee up, I review the yardage, doglegs, hazards, etc., and plot out how I'm going to get to the green. So I'm calmer now, not stressing about my driver, and can focus on managing my way around the course and playing smarter.

I am working with lessons as a note with someone--they come from a training background/Scratch golfer and have all these tools to help....They taught at the college level and they way they teach makes sense to me.

so on the basis of this thread I have picked two areas to focus from what people are saying.

1) My two concentrations at the moments are finding a way to stop creating angles. A repeatable shot that doesn't disperse right on a miss. This will have the advantage of not duffing a shot.

Feedback: My misses are tops and I am not closing well by creating angles. I learned this week I stand to close to the ball and that was news to me.

2) Distance. Creating a 150 club. All of my clubs go exactly where they should they are just short still! I have stated this before, but back injury was about a 80-83 guy.

Feedback: i am having a bit of a hard time with my ego in picking the club that sometimes goes this far. but goes short to due lies I am on, hitting over water..to me this feels like excuses at times.

@ Melloyello: I kinda suck at driving in the fact I never ever used to hit out of bounds, or top it off the tee. Work in progress! I very close to getting this part together. . I would say with rollout 250+ is my avg. I know I can hit 290s as I have done it randomly....just need everything to go right with my swing. I think their is some fear of hitting hard I decided after really analyzing my game.

@all: I may try a different approach. I usually play 2x weekend (sometimes 36 holes for 3x). I am hitting 1k+ balls a week as practice. I practice chipping each time. I am developing a good chip game that I can recreate shots. I look at chipping as a lag putt really.

FOR GIR, I will give this a go after reading about this...different approach

I am going to try Driver. 7 Iron to see if this works until this becomes my true 150 club...I hit sometimes soft for a 135...and short stinks. I can also grip this for a 165.

I am an excellent putter. Putting is easy. This is my most solid part of my game.

Keep them rolling. ty

Everybody's got their something.

My something is big, big holes - interspersed with a fair number of birdies. I bet I have more birdies than 90% of 13.5 indexes ... and more "others" as well. Too many 7s on my card, week in and week out.

I have no good explanation. Incipient Parkinson's? If so, it's been developing for 50 years or so.

The reason I've nattered on about this is that no one knows what you, personally, need to do without studying your game in detail.

Go see a pro.

Get rid of the waste, and do so throughout the bag.

Driver needs to go 80pct of your normal distance every time and if you miss a fairway don't miss badly. Find a setup and motion that works most days and stick to it if you can't improve on it.

Irons need to eliminate duffs, you just gotta never hit behind the ball. Can live w occasionally thinning it, but fat is bad.

Sand you just need to be out in one, be it greenside or fairway.

Pitch and chip cannot be duffs, like irons. Gotta get on the dance floor and at least in the same quadrant of the hole. Low is easier than high.

Putting is an exercise in the mystic arts. Good luck on that. Try not to do too much of it, however you can.

Good luck.

These are tips from a barely 80s shooter. If you want perfection, maybe there's better advice.

Things that have helped me break 80:

1. Find a long club you're comfortable with which you can hit with 100% confidence off the tee, for me its my 2 hybrid (240+ yards). For some it might even be a driver or even a driving iron. (This is for when you just have to poke one out there 200-240 yards)

2. If you tend to be inconsistent with chipping (hitting chunks etc) learn to execute a simple bump and run shot with a 7i or even a hybrid. You'll greatly increase your odds of getting the ball closer to the hole because even if you don't properly hit the bump and run the ball will still travel towards the hole because it'll have minimal backspin.

3. Try not to get any 3 putts- easier said than done I know, but 3 putts kill your score card.

4. Challenge yourself to play 9 holes with a 7 iron(and only a 7i), its harder than you think. But it teaches you to play smart and to be strategic on the course.

5.Give yourself some fun golf rounds- If you are fortunate enough to have a annual membership and don't have to pay for your rounds, try playing one or two rounds from the very front tee boxes. It will make you use different clubs on each hole plus it'll give you a mental edge because you might even shoot your lowest round ever, and seeing that you can shoot that low gives you a confidence boost.

6. Take a few days off away from golf, when you have a bad spell...this has helped me more than anything.

Course management first and foremost. Play it safe and hit the easiest, lowest stress shots wherever possible because penalty shots (or shots from trouble) are score killers. Also remember, bogeys are ok! Hitting a 7 iron (or hybrid) off the tee and two solid irons to the center of the green is usually better than hitting a driver from the tee (or fairway wood for long approaches) into trouble.

As someone that just broke 90 for the first time last week and was consistently shooting 92-95 at a variety of course I will say the difference for me was not hitting terrible second shots and having the ball in play off the tee. I have a tendency to duff or shank a few a round and when this didnt happen i shot an 88. My focus is just going to be nice contact and moving the ball forward my intended distance now. Working on short game/putting didnt help me break this barrier the past year. I had a lesson and am hitting the ball better than I have before.

Let hope it continues.

Personally keeping the ball in play took me from your scores to mid 80s and improving short game took me from there to low 80s, high 70s. I think if you're shooting 90s you're hitting a lot of wasted shots. Figure out where they are and practice that or figure out a way to either improve it or avoid it.

I always replay my round in my head and tally up wasted shots/half shots by category. Hit a drive into the trees and don't have a shot, that's 1 wasted shot, OB 2 wasted shot, in the trees but can get the ball by the green that's half a shot. Miss a green from 50 yards out, that's a shot. 3 putt from 20 ft, that's a shot.

I tally up driving cost me 8 shots, iron play, 2, Pitching, 3, Chipping 1, putting 1. Over time you'll get a really good idea where your opportunities lie. Its kind of a simpler version of strokes gained that helped me focus my practice.

Keeping the ball in play and in the fairway is big.

It’s almost cliche, but the 90-100 shooter never punches out of trouble. They seem to want to try to hit the miracle cut from under the tree over the water.

If you get in trouble from off the tee, your first priority is to get it out. Not try to knock it to 5 feet.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I regularly break 90 nowadays. Before, I always shot 100 or struggle to break 90, when I was starting out. When I had so much time to play, I was able to break 80 a lot. Now that I have limited time to golf, breaking 90 or 85 is such a bonus.

I noticed that if I do the following things, I will surely break 90, if I get lucky, even break 80.

* Off the tee, put the ball in play. Avoid trouble at all cost. Even if it means hitting an iron off the tee, by all means, do it. I embraced my fade or slice and aim left and my ball ends up in the middle of the fairway 80% of the time. I stopped trying to hit a draw or a straight shot. I also stopped trying to get more distance. I am just a weekend golfer so I am happy with anything that ends up in play.

* Try at least that you are putting for par. That means gir plus 1. (You will have a hard time achieving that if you hit your drive ob or hitting your third shot in trees and trying to punch it out still because you tried a hero shot or if you flubbed your chip or pitch shot into the green)

* If you are 50 yards below and around the green, make sure you get the ball on the green. Doesn't matter where it ends up as long as it's on the putting surface. You can always get better in getting the ball closer to the hole but get it on the putting surface first.

* Be a great lag putter. Avoiding three putts will help your goal. I have practiced my 30 - 20 footers every day two years ago and my feel for those putts, never went away.

* Stop with hero shots, get it back in play asap.

* I play bogey golf or play with my handicap in mind. On handicap holes, bogey is a par. It gives me less stress or pressure, chasing pars and birdies.

The doubles and triples, are the ones that will derail your round or make it hard for you to break 90. Check your game and see where those are coming from. Tee shot trouble? Pitching or chipping issues? Hero shots? Penalty shots into the water? Three or more putts?

Once you identify, it should get better.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @Itsjustagame said:

> > Getting better at golf is never about one thing. It's getting incrementally better at everything (driving, irons, chipping, putting, thinking) and then being able to connect all the dots when you are on the course. Also progress is not linear- one step ahead three back.

>

> This is it. Improve your full swing, improve your short game, and improve your putting. Full swing will mean more tee shots in play, fewer penalty strokes, more greens in regulation. That's probably where you can improve the most. Improving short game and putting is probably where you can cut strokes quickly, but there's a limit to how much improvement you can get from those skills.

well said

Start thinking about holes from green to tee. Whats the longest club you are comfortable hitting into a green that you know will land on the dance floor 7/10 times? What club off the tee gets you to that distance or better without bringing in trouble or a big miss? Getting into the high 70s and low 80s was mostly course management from my experience.

> @GMN_02 said:

> Start thinking about holes from green to tee. Whats the longest club you are comfortable hitting into a green that you know will land on the dance floor 7/10 times? What club off the tee gets you to that distance or better without bringing in trouble or a big miss? Getting into the high 70s and low 80s was mostly course management from my experience.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I think shooting lower scores comes from hitting better shots. Decision-making is certainly valuable, but the best decisions fail when the shot is hit poorly.

> @davep043 said:

> > @GMN_02 said:

> > Start thinking about holes from green to tee. Whats the longest club you are comfortable hitting into a green that you know will land on the dance floor 7/10 times? What club off the tee gets you to that distance or better without bringing in trouble or a big miss? Getting into the high 70s and low 80s was mostly course management from my experience.

>

> I'm not sure that I agree with this. I think shooting lower scores comes from hitting better shots. Decision-making is certainly valuable, but the best decisions fail when the shot is hit poorly.

That's fair. I was just giving my advice on what personally got me to shoot lower scores.