2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Apex 2019 Combo Set

cardoustie

Would like to hear from any owners that have these irons? Catalyst 100 shafts?

I know there are some dot pro heads that some are raving about. I think I prefer the stronger lofts and finish on the combo

Debating a set with Catalyst 100x in 6-AW. Only the 6 and 7 would be Apex and the 8-A would be the Pro heads (no badging)

Seems to tick a lot of boxes; graphite for the bad elbows and hands, blended set, build to spec for + length, satin finish etc etc

I see there is a smoke version but the 100 shafts don't come up as an option?

I picked up the new Apex 19 4 hybrid and surprisingly loved the 70 Catalyst shaft. Pretty tight for a 70 imo. Also, visually, I love ion coated shafts (like recoils as well) that mimic steel

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

nobody has these?

FWIW - My pro gave me a pair of 2* flat 7i demo's with the PX 100 catalyst shafts this morning. One is the Apex and one is the Apex Pro

Will give them a workout and report back in

10/10 for looks

EvnRoll ER9

Interested to hear how you like the catalyst shafts.

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus TR Blue 5S
Ping G430 Max 3 Wood Ventus TR Blue 7S

Ping G430 Max 5 Wood Ventus TR Blue 7S
Ping G425 4 Hybrid Ventus Blue HB 8S
Titleist Black T100s/T200 5-PW Steelfiber i95R

SM9 49, 54
Wedgeworks 60T
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport with LAGP 135

I have the complete 4-A set with the elevate tour elevate stiff shafts.... I really love these clubs. I think the longer irons are more forgiving for sure, and are plenty long. Sometimes I wonder if they are too long for my gaping purposes. I really like the feel of the irons, apex pros are plenty responsive and no issue working the ball how I want to, distances are just fine with them. If you are looking for a club that is going to give you great distance, and great feeling then I think this could be a good choice for you.

I have 5- gap, Apex 19 regular,PX Lz 105, 1* upright. Only a few range sessions but having owned 42 sets of irons these Apex are right up there. Wasn't intending on getting these having bought the Wilson/Staff C-300 forged and JPX HMs last year but I did. Personally to each his own but for me I wouldn't clutter the set up with a combo ,but again that's me. I might combo if I was still playing a 3 iron thru pw but see no reason 5-g. First time with the PX Lz and very impressed having played Modus Tour 105 and KBS FLT in last two sets which were terrific in their own right.

Like I said I had no intention of getting these but looking forward to playing them.

I'm going combo mainly because I want A. stronger lofts and B. satin finish

EvnRoll ER9

I can tell you I just had some indoor range time and 18 holes of sim golf.

Loved these irons right off the hop. That's unusual for me.

Feel is awesome as is the shape of the iron and the way it frames the ball. Great feedback as well. Shaping shots was no issue (Golfzon sim I know).

Real range time off of grass and 18 holes of golf start tomorrow and Sat and Sun. (Big qualifier on Tuesday)

More info after this weekend

EvnRoll ER9

They are a lot easier to hit than the x-proto blades I let go of last month :)

EvnRoll ER9

Well based on only the 7 iron, then yes is my early call. Give me 4 days and I will know 100%

The bottom line is I am looking for a new set that is .... satin finish, not a ton of offset, graphite at 100g in X, strong modern lofts, and forgiveness in a larger sized "players looking iron" ... these seem to tick all the boxes. The CF16 were certainly easy to hit and LONG. Every guy at my club picked up 10-15 yards per club due to lofts but didn't give up height

These also blend in nicely from my Cally Apex hybrids with ion finish shafts

I can play offset (like in my raptures ... but a slight pull is my short iron miss). I think the soles on the raptures may cause issues in firm summer conditions as well)

EvnRoll ER9

The std Apex 19s don't need to be combo'd with Pros. The entire Apex set is $$$ from bottom to top of bag.

I'm about a 2 and still play local/state/USGA AM competition and am 37. I have played blades or aggressive CB player designs since juniors/college. I play from 7100 (not the back tees) and I realized my mid to long irons were failing on me regardless of set/shaft combo. These Apex 19s are sooo good. I still can't believe how good they are. The offset isn't noticeable, the blade length isn't crazy, the top line is thin enough and the distances are super consistent. They remind me of a modern and better built TaylorMade RAC LT. I was skeptical about the Elevate shafts but they are as good as anything out there. When you test make sure to hit the 8 and 5 of the set. Any good player can hit any 8 iron good all day but the difference are in the mid-long irons.

• Like 1

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

> @tanker44 said:

> i'm about a 2 and still play local/state/USGA AM competition and am 37. I have played blades or aggressive CB player designs since juniors/college. I play from 7100 (not the back tees) and I realized my mid to long irons were failing on me regardless of set/shaft combo. These Apex 19s are sooo good. I still can't believe how good they are. The offset isn't noticeable, the blade length isn't crazy, the top line is thin enough and the distances are super consistent. They remind me of a modern and better built TaylorMade RAC LT. I was skeptical about the Elevate shafts but they are as good as anything out there. When you test make sure to hit the 8 and 5 of the set. Any good player can hit any 8 iron good all day but the difference are in the mid-long irons.

Tanker, you sound just like me 15 years ago. I turn 52 this year. Good info you shared - thanks

Before my long run of every iron in the Ping S series , s59 to s55, I was a Mizuno blade player. Favorites being the mp37 and mp33. Didn't like cb's.

When I was 35-45 I played many provincial and national Am's and Mid-Am's. I was a 2 back then and could still BOMB it.

I used to be a tourney scratch university golfer in the early 90's fwiw

My set won't go below 6 iron. I love my Apex 4 and 5h's. And my lord the g25 seven wood with the fubuki is a BEAST ! It's like cheating

EvnRoll ER9

> @tanker44 said:

> The std Apex 19s don't need to be combo'd with Pros. The entire Apex set is $$$ from bottom to top of bag.

>

> I'm about a 2 and still play local/state/USGA AM competition and am 37. I have played blades or aggressive CB player designs since juniors/college. I play from 7100 (not the back tees) and I realized my mid to long irons were failing on me regardless of set/shaft combo. These Apex 19s are sooo good. I still can't believe how good they are. The offset isn't noticeable, the blade length isn't crazy, the top line is thin enough and the distances are super consistent. They remind me of a modern and better built TaylorMade RAC LT. I was skeptical about the Elevate shafts but they are as good as anything out there. When you test make sure to hit the 8 and 5 of the set. Any good player can hit any 8 iron good all day but the difference are in the mid-long irons.

Great stuff to hear from a low handicapper. I recently got fit and went in with no allegiance to any brand. I hit P790/770, 919F, i500, Apex and Apex Pro, and AP2. I was looking for an increase in distance, but needed forgiveness due to me not playing as much these days. I tried many different head and shaft combos. The P790 and i500 were the winners in distance, but the others weren't far behind. The clear winner for me was the Apex with Elevate Tour. I was only averaging -2 yards offline over all the shots I hit and averaged 175 with the 7 iron. The shaft and head combo felt great, as did many of the others. I was skeptical at first because I haven't heard much about this shaft, but numbers don't lie. I couldn't say no to the results. I am coming from Ansers with Recoil F4.

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

I knew I shouldn't have wandered into this. I have been eyeing this combination since it was announced and waiting for some actual reports. Having said that, every time I check Callaway shaft offerings, they don't allow the Recoil 95 in stiff (can only get stiff in the heavier shaft, and that one isn't a good match and I really like the 95s I put in my older Legacy Blacks). Of course, I could actually try a different graphite shaft and see how it goes, lol, but I love these shafts and whether or not they really help with my now persistent elbow issue, I think they help.

Will be waiting for the full report - hope they are terrible, lol. Kidding, kidding.

I’m waiting on a set with $-tapers 130 that I have on order. I will after my fitting I was messing around with the catalyst 100 shafts and was super impressed how stable they were. I think you’ll be really happy with that setup.

Taylormade M5 9 Hzrdus Black
Cobra F6 Baffler Rip Alpha 70x
TaylorMade  790 UDI 2 Atmos Blue 8x
TaylorMade PSI 4, 5 irons KBS Tour V
TaylorMade PSI Tour 6-PW KBS Tour V
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54
Vokey SM7 58 D

I have a combo set with Catalyst 100 in stiff. Played 27 holes with them, and while I still love the looks I cannot play with that much offset. It was tough to hit anything but hooks, plus the feel was nowhere near my Srixon 785s. This weekend I'm planning on pulling the heads, reshafting, and taking a beating selling them and looking for my next project.

Personally, I wish I'd have just gone with the Apex Pros across the board, but the satin finish of the combo set is a million times better looking in my opinion (and certainly more pleasant on a sunny day).

These will be great irons for many, just not for me unfortunately.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I currently play a multi mixed set with a Apex CF16 5 iron (one weak); 6 and 7 iron '16 Apex Pro (one strong) and the 8-PW '18 Apex MB. I use the Recoil graphite shafts and I like them. In fact I sort of created my own AMT version as I have the Recoil 80 in the 5-7i and I have the Recoil 95 in the 8-PW...

Here's what I'd say about the new ones with limited testing (although I'm wanting to do more outside with TrackMan soon)... The new Apex Pro 7iron looks great. I agree with you completely it frames the ball well and blends in so nicely coming from my Apex MB 8-iron. I was extremely interested in what the cup face tech would do and how it would compare to my current Apex Pro. With that said, results were mixed. On it's own, the new Apex Pro 7iron was great. No complaints. It's definitely a slightly clickier sound/feel on pure strikes compared to the '16 Apex Pro but not necessarily in a negative way. I liked the sound/feel but it's different. If I were just shopping for new irons these would be the the top of my list. With that said, I saw virtually no ball speed or carry distance differences between the new Apex Pro 7i and the '16 model (bent one strong so loft is the same). So that leads me to ask what exactly the cup face tech is doing outside of changing the sound and feel. With that said I have limited testing and no on course testing. Maybe it helps more on off-center strikes? Not sure.

*Note the little testing I did with the new Apex Pro was with the stock Elevate shafts that come standard in the regular Apex (the Elevate95 weight version).

My club has a full demo set of regular '19 Apex but not the Pros... I may take the 5 iron out on the course and compare to my CF16 5iron. Again, if I were looking for something new these would be top of lists (and fine to combo) but compared to the 2016 versions- I"m not sure there is much difference there outside of the badging change. And that's not necessarily a bad thing-- the Apex CF16 were a tremendous set of irons and the Apex Pro are also a lovely players split cavity. Not sure why they'd want to change them much and they didn't.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Well I can tell you I much prefer the pro 7 iron vs the non pro, lots of shots off grass at the range. Waiting on a longer shaft to test now

I wish you get a pro set in all satin !

EvnRoll ER9

Just back from my fitter who was tossing graphite shafts into my t-mb mid irons fwiw

.... made the mistake of hitting a black P-790 four iron with a fuji pro 115s shaft in it ... WOW is all I can say. That may be the best feeling graphite shaft I have hit EVER

Also, one of the fitters just got his full Callaway set up. Irons are FILTHY!!! DG120 in black with the Apex pro smoke heads !!!

EvnRoll ER9

I have the Apex cf19 4-A wedge. Toyed with going combo but decided on just a consistent look and feel throughout. Anyway I have the Catalyst 100 6.0 and have been a Steelfiber i95 stiff player for the last 8 years. The 100's have quite a butt stiff feel, similar to PX steel but are very close to my Steelfibers in playability, incredibly stable, a penetrating flight and a smooth graphite feel....great shaft.

Whatever works.

the 100 Catalyst def has a way different feel than the i95 SF's

EvnRoll ER9

I have a combo set (5-A) that had a problem behind the badges (looks like oozing rust) on the Pro irons in the set. I contacted Callaway with some photos and they immediately offered to replace them. I took the opportunity to ask them if they wouldn't mind replacing them with a full set of the Pros (with Steelfiber i95's) instead of the Combo set for no upcharge. The Apex's just have too much offset and too thick of a top line for my eye and the sound and feel of the Pro irons is MUCH better than the standard Apex irons. I had actually tried to change my order the day I put it in to a full set of Pros but I was too late. They were nice enough to let me change to a full set of Pros, which I'm really excited about. The Pro has a much better look behind the ball and the distance advantage of the Apex is negligible. The only possible downside is the chrome finish on the Pros is a little bright for my taste. I may have to take the steel wool to them when they arrive...or I may wait for a while before the surgery. They're arriving tomorrow...photos to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

> @cardoustie said:

> Well I can tell you I much prefer the pro 7 iron vs the non pro, lots of shots off grass at the range. Waiting on a longer shaft to test now

> I wish you get a pro set in all satin !

Did you get your longer shaft? So biting my tongue, but keeping this thread up there so I don't miss an update, lol.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well. :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I recently purchased the APEX CF19s (5-PW). I got fitted and went with the Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff shafts. I hit these multiple times on the monitor and my numbers were great. When I got them on the course, I had a little bit of a time adjusting to the flight. For some reason I started hitting a pretty big draw. No doubt it was the player and not the club. After a few range sessions, I got real comfortable with them. When I hit it like you are supposed to, the feel and the result is great. When I make a bad strike, they are still forgiving. I love the feel of these irons.

I'm not sure I can replace my Epic 5 & 6 irons, they are just soooo easy to hit.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

• 5 weeks later...

I have a set of Apex Pro DOT’s with the Catalyst 100 shafts. I’ll be honest I have always played heavier steel shafts (Modus 125 stiff in last set) so I was extremely cautious going with graphite. My brain said no way, but my body said yes please. So with a lot of caution I proceeded with the graphite shafts with the thought that if I hated them I could always swap them out for steel. I read as many reviews as I could find before buying and the consensus was that the Catalyst 100 was incredibly stable and offered a very low ball flight and unfortunately I prefer a mid launch so that worried me as well. I’ll be honest jumping from my Modus 125 down to 100g Catalyst was a huge weight difference and I struggled with my timing for a few days but once I got my timing down I was pleasantly surprised! These shafts feel nearly as stable as my Modus with a nice mid-low ball flight. I’ve heard that the kick is not noticeable but for me its definitely there, I just had to smooth out my tempo and quit trying to swing out of my shoes. Overall I really like these shafts and I appreciate how stable they are at impact and how forgiving they are on my body (YES after 18 holes there is a noticeable difference in how my body is feeling). When I stripe it with these they really do feel similar to steel which is something other graphite iron shafts have not had for me. As long as you are OK with the lighter weight and are willing to fine tune your timing I would highly recommend giving the Catalyst 100 a try. Please keep in mind that the taper tip 100g version of the Catalyst has a completely different bend profile than the 80 taper tip version and all of the parallel tip versions so its a unique bird that can’t be judged by your experiences with the other weights.

• Like 1

Instagram: @TourUseOnly