Taylormade hi-toe

cavanagh

> @taylormade4life said:

> > @PatsNation said:

> > > @taylormade4life said:

> > > > @puttingmatt said:

> > > > For those playing the 56* wedge, how versatile is it

> > > > laying it open on 1/2 and 3/4 length shots? Or are you strictly using it in bunkers ? Is there a fair amount of relief in the heel for the standard bounce.

> > >

> > > I have only had mine for a brief period but I found no issue with my 56/60 (both have the 4-way grind) to hit any sort of shot. I used it from the sand (super easy out), pitches and chips and liked how the club head set up. It felt like I could lower or raise my hands and have no issue with turf interaction on the sole/lie angle.

> > >

> > > I also really liked that I could swing 75% and hit a little lower and more piercing shot than with my standard milled grind. I honestly wasn’t a believer that it would lower the launch but it did a little.

> > >

> > > I am already preferrring the copper look to the satin and am looking for a hi toe 52 to replace my MG 52. Kinda stinks I shopped around to build my 52/56/60 milled grinds with steelfiber to now be in hi toe with stock kbs shafts.. ?

> >

> > Hows the 4-way grind on flops? I had the ATV couldnt flop it but was great everywhere else

> >

> > Still hoping for a LB version release

>

> I have had zero issues with it thus far. I tend to play my short game shots with the “bounce” and didn’t notice any issues. I didn’t have any hard pan lies which may be the ultimate test.

>

> I plan to do a long short game session with them this weekend.

Sweet let me know thats my biggest thing. Not that I hit a flop a lot but I need to have the ability too if needed

I thought the hi toe atv was a 10 everywhere except for flops

Has anybody noticed a difference in head weight from the original Hi-Toes that came out last year and the ones now (the color on the face of the wedge is different)? Had an original 58* and just got a new 60*, both ATV grind, and my new 60* feels significantly lighter. Thought it might be the shaft or grip, but both are within a few grams of my shaft/grip on my 58*.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

> @PatsNation said:

> > @taylormade4life said:

> > > @PatsNation said:

> > > > @taylormade4life said:

> > > > > @puttingmatt said:

> > > > > For those playing the 56* wedge, how versatile is it

> > > > > laying it open on 1/2 and 3/4 length shots? Or are you strictly using it in bunkers ? Is there a fair amount of relief in the heel for the standard bounce.

> > > >

> > > > I have only had mine for a brief period but I found no issue with my 56/60 (both have the 4-way grind) to hit any sort of shot. I used it from the sand (super easy out), pitches and chips and liked how the club head set up. It felt like I could lower or raise my hands and have no issue with turf interaction on the sole/lie angle.

> > > >

> > > > I also really liked that I could swing 75% and hit a little lower and more piercing shot than with my standard milled grind. I honestly wasn’t a believer that it would lower the launch but it did a little.

> > > >

> > > > I am already preferrring the copper look to the satin and am looking for a hi toe 52 to replace my MG 52. Kinda stinks I shopped around to build my 52/56/60 milled grinds with steelfiber to now be in hi toe with stock kbs shafts.. ?

> > >

> > > Hows the 4-way grind on flops? I had the ATV couldnt flop it but was great everywhere else

> > >

> > > Still hoping for a LB version release

> >

> > I have had zero issues with it thus far. I tend to play my short game shots with the “bounce” and didn’t notice any issues. I didn’t have any hard pan lies which may be the ultimate test.

> >

> > I plan to do a long short game session with them this weekend.

>

> Sweet let me know thats my biggest thing. Not that I hit a flop a lot but I need to have the ability too if needed

>

> I thought the hi toe atv was a 10 everywhere except for flops

So finally got a good practice in with the 56-10 and 60-10 4 way grind. Currently play 52/56/60 milled grind standard bounce. Only compared the 56/60 as my 52 is on the way.

Looks are subjective but the hi toe grew on me fast. Debating stripping it or not but for now, plan to keep the copper look.

Chipping/pitching/bump and runs were great with the hi toe. Maybe it was the weight (hi toes feel heavier) but I could hit any shot I wanted. High, low, spinner or dead runner. One area they really shined was in those 10/15 yard low chips where you land one or two bounces and run it out onto the green.

Bunker play was like cheating. So easy to pop it out or get closer to the ball. I also played some deep buried rough lies and they came out just like bunker shots.

The last test was the flop... I’m more of a low shot when possible type person, but I had to try these. It wasn’t bad, but they definitely have more exposed bounce than the standard MGs. I took some pictures of them laid open and it seemed like the 56 has more bounce toe side which would catch more ground now and then. The 60 seemed to lay more towards the center. To be fair, my Miss is fat with those flop shots so I don’t mind the bounce but it could definitely be an issue for others. I wondered about sending them to someone for some grind relief but I will experiment more first.

Overall I love them. My MGs are going on the bay. But I do think you may find them trickier on flops if you didn’t like the ATV. I tend to hit my shots with the “bounce” so I dig a little more. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I play the Cobra F7 ones 4-P, but have continued to play my other wedges at normal length. I just bagged (got tired of waiting to win the wedge giveaway) the High Toe wedges, bent to help with gapping, 51,55, and 60. Played one round, but they performed really well. Still getting used to yardages, previous wedges were an old RTX 52 and a SM6 60. So I clearly had gap issues for my swing.

Lucky that I managed to find 5 bunkers, the 55 and 60 worked very well for me. The sand was wet and compact in several and loose and fluffy in the rest. I only thinned one which skidded to the other side of the green, the others I managed really good for me shots. Bunkers can be my round killer..

The 55 and 51both produced high shots from normal fairways, slightly lower on tighter lies. Both equally performed very well out of the rough. The head gets through with ease, and one shot showed the grass impact out and up on the toe area,, and the ball still went where I was hoping.

So far so good. I play again Thursday night in a lowball tournament, will see if I make my points or higher : )

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Hows the finish holding up on everyone's Hi Toes? I've seen a few returned to local golf shops and they look absolutely BEAT. Considering ordering one to replace my 56 SM6 Vokey with the Modus 115 Black Wedge shaft. I would have ordered the custom My Hi Toe from TM with the stamping and chrome finish but they don't have the Modus as a shaft option and I hate that.

> @gcp07 said:

> Hows the finish holding up on everyone's Hi Toes? I've seen a few returned to local golf shops and they look absolutely BEAT. Considering ordering one to replace my 56 SM6 Vokey with the Modus 115 Black Wedge shaft. I would have ordered the custom My Hi Toe from TM with the stamping and chrome finish but they don't have the Modus as a shaft option and I hate that.

Interesting question. I play a lot and mine look fairly rough.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

> @gcp07 said:

> Hows the finish holding up on everyone's Hi Toes? I've seen a few returned to local golf shops and they look absolutely BEAT. Considering ordering one to replace my 56 SM6 Vokey with the Modus 115 Black Wedge shaft. I would have ordered the custom My Hi Toe from TM with the stamping and chrome finish but they don't have the Modus as a shaft option and I hate that.

I've probably played over 200 rounds with my 64 (bent to 62) and I use it very frequently, including out of greenside bunkers. I also recently added a 54 (bent to 55). The finish definitely darkens/tarnishes rather quickly and you'll notice Mark's on the face more when it's new before the tarnishing takes place. I dont mind the look at all, and in fact I think they're designed to darken as they do. Its purely cosmetic though and has no effect on playability or performance. Even with 200+ rounds and countless bunker shots, mine still has decent grooves and plenty of life left.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @gcp07 said:

> Is anyone liking these wedges for full shots? I hear a lot of people getting this wedge as their go to Lob wedge. Is anyone using a 54 or 56 for full and pitch shots and having good results? Im an avid Vokey user, the fact that I can get this wedge with a black nippon off TM is enough to potentially make me switch.

It’s funny, I have 52/56/60 and I actually hit the 56/60 great on any shot, partial or whole, and great for chipping, pitching, and sand. The 52 for some reason, I cannot get used too. They all have the hi rev 2.0 and my irons are steelfiber 110 so I am debating a steelfiber wedge shaft for the 52.

I wil say that I love the 52 for bump and runs and pitches from 20-40 yards. It’s a nice an easy turn back and through. I am not ready to throw in the towel on the 52 but I have never experienced this before.

> @RobYakes said:

> Has anybody noticed a difference in head weight from the original Hi-Toes that came out last year and the ones now (the color on the face of the wedge is different)? Had an original 58* and just got a new 60*, both ATV grind, and my new 60* feels significantly lighter. Thought it might be the shaft or grip, but both are within a few grams of my shaft/grip on my 58*.

I know they have tinkered with it a little bit as for instance they originally had a two part ferrule system but now use a one piece collared ferrule. I've always found the swingweights to be all over the place as they insert a weight at the bottom of the bore on all Hi toe wedges and it almost seems like the builder picks up whatever weight is closeset rather than the one that will match the stated swingweight.

> @gcp07 said:

> Is anyone liking these wedges for full shots? I hear a lot of people getting this wedge as their go to Lob wedge. Is anyone using a 54 or 56 for full and pitch shots and having good results? Im an avid Vokey user, the fact that I can get this wedge with a black nippon off TM is enough to potentially make me switch.

I have the 56* Hi-Toe and have tried my best to use it on full shots but just not a fan of it. I think after I added my grip (4 total wraps-MCC+4) it came out to a SW of D8.5 and it was a little too heavy for my liking. I am keeping it for a backup back for long bump and runs but not for full shots.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @gcp07 said:

I'm only 2 rounds in with them, but so far so good. However, with the 60, when I do not commit to what I planned things haven't gone so well. This is probably more of a me thing... I really like the 52 (51) and the 56 (55).. They are great from tight to rough. I have benefitted from the high toe out of the rough,, nice little grass impact close to the top and the ball still went generally where I wanted it to go with little loss in yardage..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

> @gcp07 said:

I like them as much or more than anything on full shots. I actually hit my 64, which is bent to 62, the exact same distance as my previous Ping 60. I also hit it ever so slightly lower and can knock it down more easily, which is strange given 2 additional degrees of loft. I also think the design, with more mass high in the toe, makes me pull it less frequently. Great wedges

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

its been many years since i have gamed anything more than a 54 deg wedge. The higher lofter wedges have not worked well for some reason. That has all changed this year with the 56 and 60 deg Hi Toe wedges. These things flat out perform on full shots and the 60 is my go to club on 70 yards and in. It really adds more options on holes where as before i always tried to keep back farther on all approach shots.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Adding a heavier grip would reduce swing weight, if that’s what you were suggesting

> @AG12 said:

> > @gcp07 said:

> > Is anyone liking these wedges for full shots? I hear a lot of people getting this wedge as their go to Lob wedge. Is anyone using a 54 or 56 for full and pitch shots and having good results? Im an avid Vokey user, the fact that I can get this wedge with a black nippon off TM is enough to potentially make me switch.

>

> I have the 56* Hi-Toe and have tried my best to use it on full shots but just not a fan of it. I think after I added my grip (4 total wraps-MCC+4) it came out to a SW of D8.5 and it was a little too heavy for my liking. I am keeping it for a backup back for long bump and runs but not for full shots.

4 rounds in and as expected the copper finish on the leading edge is wearing back to the silver underneath. Wonder if this is carbon steel or a layer of nickel plating before the carbon steel. Either way, still loving the wedges...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

> @Titleist_Baller said:

> > @uflorida1 said:

> > Question... why is the stock shaft the kbs hi rev 2.0 120 for 50-56 and then the 115 58-60? What’s the rationale behind the difference? Thanks team

>

> You can order them either way. My shop had a mixed of 120 and 115. I just ordered my 50/54/58 with all 120 in the hi-rev.

I found the 115 to have less tip action and to also be lower launching and lower apex than the 120.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

> @cvhookem63 said:

> Anybody buy these with a raw face yet?

> ![](https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-tmag-master-catalog/default/v1561450445568/zoom/WZ733_zoom_D3.jpg "")

> https://www.taylormadegolf.com/RAW-Face-Milled-Grind-HI-TOE-Wedge/DW-WZ668-4.html?cgid=taylormade-vault&lang=default#lang=default&start=1&

I am tempted because. want a wedge with a lower leading edge than my 60M SM7 but thinking of holding off for artisans.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @cvhookem63 said:

> Anybody buy these with a raw face yet?

> ![](https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-tmag-master-catalog/default/v1561450445568/zoom/WZ733_zoom_D3.jpg "")

> https://www.taylormadegolf.com/RAW-Face-Milled-Grind-HI-TOE-Wedge/DW-WZ668-4.html?cgid=taylormade-vault&lang=default#lang=default&start=1&

Definitely intrigued, noticed they’re offering a 60 degree with a standard sole (9 bounce) as well as one with the 4-way sole (10 bounce) . I don’t think the standard sole option was available in the stock finish