2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Adding mass in the gym WILL increase your club head speed

As a longtime lurker I've gathered that most of the fellow golfers here is of the opinion that just adding mass in the gym doesn't add swing speed in any substantial way. Well let me debunk that.

I only play golf for around 3 months per year(I live in Scandinavia) and each summer I'll go through several trackman sessions, and for as long as I've played I have always been around 95 mph with the driver. This winter I went from 155 pounds to 185 pounds, both at 14% body fat. So far in 2 sessions my average swing speed with the driver have been 115 mph. It just feels like a whole new game to me. The new muscle mass also brings a whole new level of control for me, even when swinging 20 mph faster.

My gym sessions didn't include any "golf exercises", I just trained for pure power. Deadlifts, squats, benchpress etc. So if any of you are looking to add swing speed take my advice and get your a** in the gym!

Yeah of course. Look at guys like Koepka, or the long drive guys. Those guys are ripped. It's not just for looks. 30 pounds over a winter is a lot!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Smaller scale. I've had ups and downs w SS over last couple years. Mostly due to back injury. Led to fitness layoffs.

My highest SS periods were when I was adding muscle. Not even close.

Recently got the back into a serviceable spot for now, and gym gains and overall fitness are paying dividends.

> @Golfjack said:

> Yeah of course. Look at guys like Koepka, or the long drive guys. Those guys are ripped. It's not just for looks. 30 pounds over a winter is a lot!

Wouldn’t call Sadlowski “ripped”, nor Dustin Johnson, who no doubt could compete in long drive, if that were his focus. Justin Thomas is small, Tiger was never “built like a linebacker”, and that list of long hitters on tour goes on forever.

Not to say they’s no benefit to training, it’s just that muscle mass isn’t everything when it comes to clubhead speed.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Raw power will make it so you can accelerate the club faster, no doubt about it. But sequencing the swing correctly is where the biggest gains are. I know a few small guys that I would pummel in strength contests, yet they out drive me by a mile. They just know how to sequence their swing to get crazy swing speed. But adding both mass and sequencing would most likely yield the best results.

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Eh. Plenty of thin tall kids out there who will blow it by a 115 mph bulky Guy. Give me long and lean with natural speed anyway. That guy will play fast for 40 years or more.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I did almost the exact opposite of your weight progression and can confirm the impact.

I'm 5'9" and went from 186 to 158 over the winter/spring, but despite being in better shape I am about a club shorter than I was before.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

I don't think this is a universal truth with respect to golf. Most long drive guys are huge, but you still need a solid swing mechanic to make it all work together.

I spent 0 time in the gym from last September to November, but did Overspeed training and gained like 15mph to my top speed and about 8mph average. I did Overspeed again this spring and gained like another 10mph on my top end max, and another 2-3mph on my average. Guys like DJ aren't big but use long levers to create speed (tons of shoulder turn, long arms) and guys like Brooks aren't very flexible relative to DJ but use pure power to get CHS. However, from what I hear, Brooks already had high speed before he got big. I think his muscularity comes more in to play when hitting out of deep rough and other bad lies where you need to power the ball out.

If you suddenly made DJ more muscular, I'd put $$ on the chance that he loses speed. He can gain strength though without gaining much muscle, which is fine. But this discussion seems to be suggesting gaining pounds of muscle suddenly helps CHS, which I don't think is true.

right, I think the bigger and stronger you are, the more potential you have to create speed given the mechanics are good. I remember Charles Barkley, who was very strong and big, caught one of the screws on a launch monitor and it went like 450 carry, it was indoors too where he doesn't get that hitch in his swing. Obviously this was a stars aligned moment with his swing when the mechanics lined up. Smaller guys have no chance to ever catch one on the screws like that

> @Redjeep83 said:

> watch a long drive comp. and you will see nearly all the guys are huge, sadlowski is an outlier freak of nature. Dustin Johnson wouldn't stand a chance with the long drive guys, no one on the pga tour would. However, long drive guys are all about speed and power and not shooting lowest score.

And I _think_ plenty of guys on tour could hang with the long drive crowd, if they were inclined to train for that. But they’re not, and they won’t, because their bread and butter is shotmaking and controlling the golf ball, as opposed to 1/8 finding the grid each round. So both on my part and on yours this part of the discussion Is nothing but speculation.

However, I think we can agree that proper training is essential for maximizing performance in any sport. As for added muscle mass alone, I agree with the poster above who said “can not will”...it’s not an absolute.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

adding mass PLUS creating mobility strength will help your game

Don't expect to train like a power lifter and play golf with no thoracic spine mobility

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

If you go from never working out to working out....sure you will increase speed....I don't think it has much to do with adding mass though. Yes a lot of long drive guy are massive...but they are also guys that tend to be naturally strong and/or athletic. I've played golf with construction workers and brick layers that smash the heck out of the ball and you can tell they never worked out. IMHO, I think grip and forearm strength as a lot to do with it and letting you swing as fast as you can for your body. Look at guys like Sadlowski or DJ or Jason Day, Rory, etc.....not really physically imposing but naturally strong and athletic. Heck, look at Monte...he's not a small guy but certainly not a massive guy like Zuback and he won in the early 90s and still gets it out there in the 330+ range at 50 some years old. Working out will certainly help but it's not as simple as adding mass....and the effects are going to be greater for those who never worked out before than those who have been for a few years.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

> @powerboy said:

> As a longtime lurker I've gathered that most of the fellow golfers here is of the opinion that just adding mass in the gym doesn't add swing speed in any substantial way. Well let me debunk that.

>

> I only play golf for around 3 months per year(I live in Scandinavia) and each summer I'll go through several trackman sessions, and for as long as I've played I have always been around 95 mph with the driver. This winter I went from 155 pounds to 185 pounds, both at 14% body fat. So far in 2 sessions my average swing speed with the driver have been 115 mph. It just feels like a whole new game to me. The new muscle mass also brings a whole new level of control for me, even when swinging 20 mph faster.

>

> My gym sessions didn't include any "golf exercises", I just trained for pure power. Deadlifts, squats, benchpress etc. So if any of you are looking to add swing speed take my advice and get your a** in the gym!

Well it's not the mass, it's the strength you're adding along with the improvement in your CNS. Ideally, you would be able to do this without adding mass but that's pretty difficult.

> @ferrispgm said:

> If you go from never working out to working out....sure you will increase speed....I don't think it has much to do with adding mass though. Yes a lot of long drive guy are massive...but they are also guys that tend to be naturally strong and/or athletic. I've played golf with construction workers and brick layers that smash the heck out of the ball and you can tell they never worked out. IMHO, I think grip and forearm strength as a lot to do with it and letting you swing as fast as you can for your body. Look at guys like Sadlowski or DJ or Jason Day, Rory, etc.....not really physically imposing but naturally strong and athletic. Heck, look at Monte...he's not a small guy but certainly not a massive guy like Zuback and he won in the early 90s and still gets it out there in the 330+ range at 50 some years old. Working out will certainly help but it's not as simple as adding mass....and the effects are going to be greater for those who never worked out before than those who have been for a few years.

As you allude to, I don't think people understand how truly "naturally" strong someone could be relative to other people. Look up articles on JB Holmes. He talks about in college how he had a friend trying to bench 200 (or something like that) and JB, who had never lifted in his life just walks up to it and is like, this doesn't seem that hard. Same for guys that can dunk. They might have never squated a day in their life but if you put them in the gym for a month, they'd be blowing past what I can squat even though I've been working on it forever. Unfortunately, life isnt' fair, lol.

Now, as far as smaller guys that hit it a mile, I think we are now learning there is so much going on that we never understood. There truly is ground force and a way they move their body that generates power that people that are short knockers don't do. Yes, as Kelvin would call them, micro moves. Some people, like Monte and Jamie, are just natural athletes that, for whatever reason, naturally know how to tap into this. Monte's dad was a baseball player who obviously also knew how to tap into this. I guess what I'm saying is that, independent of getting stronger, yes, the golf swing is an athletic movement that comes much more naturally to some. And, we're not even getting into fast twitch muscles, ability to recruit them faster and all that kind of stuff that separates super long hitters from mere mortals.

Ground forces are huge.....Literally picked up 15-20 with my driver this year thanks to Monte and learning how to use the ground better

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

There is also the "power" aspect, i.e. the ability to shift weight fast. E.g. cleans, snatch, plyo-stuff, etc. Still need a foundation of strength tho.

Chech out [Golffreakfitness](https://www.instagram.com/golffreakfitness/ "Golffreakfitness") on instagram, who's a ranked long driver and recently won a competition. Lot of explosive training.

Another is [https://instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/](https://www.instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/ "https://instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/")

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

> @Keen said:

> There is also the "power" aspect, i.e. the ability to shift weight fast. E.g. cleans, snatch, plyo-stuff, etc. Still need a foundation of strength tho.

> Chech out [Golffreakfitness](https://www.instagram.com/golffreakfitness/ "Golffreakfitness") on instagram, who's a ranked long driver and recently won a competition. Lot of explosive training.

>

> Another is [https://instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/](https://www.instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/ "https://instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic/")

>

>

>

Thanks for these links! I've been doing a lot of power/olympic lifting in the last couple of years but awesome to see some stuff from a long driver.

• Like 1

> @Golfjack said:

> Yeah of course. Look at guys like Koepka, or the long drive guys. Those guys are ripped. It's not just for looks. 30 pounds over a winter is a lot!

the OP went from 150 to 180, that just a kid turning into a man, going from 180 to 210 would be a big deal

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

> @powerboy said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > OP how tall are you?

>

> 5' 8''

185 lbs 14% bf!?!?! from 155?

Im having a hard time believing you did this during the winter. you would need to bulk for a few months and then cut.

You almost have the same specs as professional physique bodybuilders (minus the BF%)

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE