2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

> @BirdieRoll said:

> Curious if anyone has played the following WI courses and if you've played them all how you'd rank them:

> Eau Claire, La Crosse, Green Bay, and Greenwood Hills (Wausau)

> Thanks in advance.

Eau Claire is a very good classic golf course. A number of really good holes there and is worth a play.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

Traveled down to the Burlington NC area this weekend and had a chance to stop at the Carolina Club in Chapel Hill NC for dinner and Alamance CC for some golf. I will not bore you with a review of the Carolina Club and our dinner.

Alamance is an affiliated club and is not owned by ClubCorp. The golf course is a Donald Ross design that we redone years ago back to the intentions of Ross. I am not a Ross expert so will not comment on that aspect. I do prefer the classic courses over the modern architecture and thoroughly enjoyed playing the course.

The pro shop is separate from the main clubhouse and the first tee starts at the pro shop and the ninth green ends there as well. The clubhouse is across a small limited use road and the 10th tee is in front of the clubhouse and the 18th green ends at the back. The routing is excellent and follows the flow of the land. There are houses on the course but they are set very far back and do not encroach at all.

There are a number of slight or full dogleg holes which in my opinion add to the fun and challenge. The greens were my favorite aspect to the course and were very tough. They were not too fast but were significantly undulating. The putting matters at this course. Also what matters is your short game. If you miss the green you better place your recovery shot on the right spot on the green or you will have trouble.

Conditioning on the course was very good.

The amenities related to golf at the country club are basic. The driving range is limited distance so you cannot hit your driver or 3 wood. The bar in the pro shop building was small. I did not eat dinner here this time due to commitments but I have eaten in the full clubhouse and found the food and service to be excellent.

If you are in the Triad area I recommend playing the course.

> @theebdk said:

> Traveled down to the Burlington NC area this weekend and had a chance to stop at the Carolina Club in Chapel Hill NC for dinner and Alamance CC for some golf. I will not bore you with a review of the Carolina Club and our dinner.

>

> Alamance is an affiliated club and is not owned by ClubCorp. The golf course is a Donald Ross design that we redone years ago back to the intentions of Ross. I am not a Ross expert so will not comment on that aspect. I do prefer the classic courses over the modern architecture and thoroughly enjoyed playing the course.

>

> The pro shop is separate from the main clubhouse and the first tee starts at the pro shop and the ninth green ends there as well. The clubhouse is across a small limited use road and the 10th tee is in front of the clubhouse and the 18th green ends at the back. The routing is excellent and follows the flow of the land. There are houses on the course but they are set very far back and do not encroach at all.

>

> There are a number of slight or full dogleg holes which in my opinion add to the fun and challenge. The greens were my favorite aspect to the course and were very tough. They were not too fast but were significantly undulating. The putting matters at this course. Also what matters is your short game. If you miss the green you better place your recovery shot on the right spot on the green or you will have trouble.

>

> Conditioning on the course was very good.

>

> The amenities related to golf at the country club are basic. The driving range is limited distance so you cannot hit your driver or 3 wood. The bar in the pro shop building was small. I did not eat dinner here this time due to commitments but I have eaten in the full clubhouse and found the food and service to be excellent.

>

> If you are in the Triad area I recommend playing the course.

Pictures would be appreciated.

Update on a few more courses I have played.

Played the Woodlands Country Club Tournament course. They had recently punched the greens but they were still rolling ok. They are probably fine by now. Would have been nice for clubline to let me know that information when I booked. Great course though. Not overly tough but was a lot of fun. Would definitely recommend.

kuwjvcmf8kq2.jpg

hr3ns56zyo1c.jpg

b6jc0deljaf2.jpg

o9wvu31y0xc1.jpg

Played both courses at Stonebriar Country club (Westin Resort here as well). The courses were in terrific condition and some of the best rolling greens I have played in a while. Every putt had a chance to go in. The Fazio course was a lot more fun than the member or club course (dye design). The Faxio course for much of the course has rough that will kick your ball back into the fairway if you miss correctly. Was fair and a lot of fun. The member course on the other hand I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again. It was solid but there were too many narrow fairways. There is one par 5 that for much of the hole is maybe 20 yards. Great for a US Open, not for an amateur. It was still in solid shape and worth playing once if you are in the area.

Fazio

gue5m9g8pzi2.jpg

qzn5am1a2v8r.jpg

nhoepav0o7lx.jpg

Club course (member)

kuz79j36rg8v.jpg

x6a08b3qdczv.jpg

eerowrrxm2ud.jpg

Hope to have the full reviews on my golf blog by the end of next week. Starting to get behind a bit! Still need to finish up some Palm Spring courses and an Austin course.

Forgot I had played a couple courses in Austin.

Played The Hills Country club Flintrock course (The Hills of Lakeway). I have played this course several times and is always fun. Greens were not up to standard but hoping they will get them fix. A very fun Nicklaus designed course. Plays much tougher than it looks.

mcs0m2t4a8ve.jpg

lh2maoe0vluu.jpg

1f71flzc26qf.jpg

Then played River Place Country Club. This one was up and down all day. I played it just under 4 months after foot surgery and it was not fun for me. I wouldn't want to play this course the second half of a 36 hole day. Other than that, it was a fun layout. Conditions were the best compared to better clubcorp courses but this is an affiliate club. Fairways had longer grass than I personally like. But a very fun course if you like lots of elevation changes.

7ir0nvd5612j.jpg

yn0sqzkyd091.jpg

cqq4bqstd475.jpg

h6941gt5qj2y.jpg

hsesz08v8vbi.jpg

The Flintrock review is already up on my website. Still need to do the River Place.

Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> @Novagolf1012 said:

> Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

> @flushem said:

> > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

>

> IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

...which is less than mediocre... ?

> @flushem said:

> > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

>

> IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

I have to agree to this. At least Shadowridge had really good green when we played. Morgan Run was a dump. Would rather pay full rack rate at Aviara than a free round at Morgan Run.

> @defnotapro said:

> > @flushem said:

> > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> >

> > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

>

> I have to agree to this. At least Shadowridge had really good green when we played. Morgan Run was a dump. Would rather pay full rack rate at Aviara than a free round at Morgan Run.

it still does. tricky as hell

> @toypor said:

> > @flushem said:

> > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> >

> > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

>

> ...which is less than mediocre... ?

C'mon. LC can't be worse than MR & BH.

> @flushem said:

> > @toypor said:

> > > @flushem said:

> > > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> > >

> > > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

> >

> > ...which is less than mediocre... ?

>

> C'mon. LC can't be worse than MR & BH.

> @flushem said:

> > @toypor said:

> > > @flushem said:

> > > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> > >

> > > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

> >

> > ...which is less than mediocre... ?

>

> C'mon. LC can't be worse than MR & BH.

You’re right. LaCosta is the best of the bunch. But it is mediocre at best IMHO. Always thought it was terribly over-rated. Especially back when it held PGA events and it was referred to as the world famous La Costa.

> @toypor said:

> > @flushem said:

> > > @toypor said:

> > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> > > >

> > > > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

> > >

> > > ...which is less than mediocre... ?

> >

> > C'mon. LC can't be worse than MR & BH.

>

> > @flushem said:

> > > @toypor said:

> > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > @Novagolf1012 said:

> > > > > Made a trip San Diego and played Morgan Run over the weekend. Played a round Thursday and Friday. Both times with members. The weather was amazing and the course was ok but nothing memorable. One of the members told me they had trouble with their greens over the winter and closed 9 of their 27 holes to address. The fairways were in good shape and and the greens rolled fast but you could tell there was some trouble spots. It was a fine experience like every club Corp travel experience but I wouldn't have paid a guest fee for a friend.

> > > >

> > > > IMO, all CC courses in SD are mediocre except La Costa.

> > >

> > > ...which is less than mediocre... ?

> >

> > C'mon. LC can't be worse than MR & BH.

>

> You’re right. LaCosta is the best of the bunch. But it is mediocre at best IMHO. Always thought it was terribly over-rated. Especially back when it held PGA events and it was referred to as the world famous La Costa.

When I played North "Legend" course years ago before the renovation, it felt like muni course. Nothing spectacular except 18th. AS I have not played the renovated North "Legend" course, I can't comment on it.

I always like South "Champion Course" as it plays challenging resort course even before and after the renovation.

I concur on "over rated" part. I think Aviara is much better course over LC and even Torrey.

I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

Titleist 8.5* TS3 Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff
Titleist 15* TS2 3W Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff
Titleist 19* TS2 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 Stiff 
Callaway Apex 19 4-AW TT Elevate 95 Stiff
Cobra King Pur Wedge 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Cleveland CBX Wedge 60* TT 115g
 Odyssey V Line Arm Lock Putter

> @GeorgeL said:

> I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

> But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

> Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

> If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

Have you played Dove Canyon which is right next door to Coto? I think Dove has a much superior layout and is a lot of fun to play. The clubhouse and amenities are better at Coto, but from a golf standpoint I much prefer Dove.

I> @toypor said:

> > @GeorgeL said:

> > I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

> > But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

> > Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

> > If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

>

> Have you played Dove Canyon which is right next door to Coto? I think Dove has a much superior layout and is a lot of fun to play. The clubhouse and amenities are better at Coto, but from a golf standpoint I much prefer Dove.

>

>

I played Dove before years ago for an SCGA outing. I thought it was a good track but can't remember any specific holes. Unfortunately, it's not a CC course.

I believe I have also played Aliso Viejo before but again not for some time. It was booked the last time I checked. And I've yet to get out on Old Ranch which I've heard mixed reviews about.

> @GeorgeL said:

> I> @toypor said:

> > > @GeorgeL said:

> > > I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

> > > But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

> > > Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

> > > If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

> >

> > Have you played Dove Canyon which is right next door to Coto? I think Dove has a much superior layout and is a lot of fun to play. The clubhouse and amenities are better at Coto, but from a golf standpoint I much prefer Dove.

> >

> >

>

> I played Dove before years ago for an SCGA outing. I thought it was a good track but can't remember any specific holes. Unfortunately, it's not a CC course.

> I believe I have also played Aliso Viejo before but again not for some time. It was booked the last time I checked. And I've yet to get out on Old Ranch which I've heard mixed reviews about.

Dove is pretty tough track designed by Bear. Definitely tougher than CDC North (RTJ designed).

AV has fun layout but I hate inconsistent speed of greens. They drive me nuts. OR (my favorite) is nice fun track especially in summer. Being in Seal Beach right off 405 free way and few miles away from beach, you get nice ocean breeze that makes more challenging especially at 18th. Totally walkable course.

> @flushem said:

> > @GeorgeL said:

> > I> @toypor said:

> > > > @GeorgeL said:

> > > > I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

> > > > But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

> > > > Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

> > > > If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

> > >

> > > Have you played Dove Canyon which is right next door to Coto? I think Dove has a much superior layout and is a lot of fun to play. The clubhouse and amenities are better at Coto, but from a golf standpoint I much prefer Dove.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I played Dove before years ago for an SCGA outing. I thought it was a good track but can't remember any specific holes. Unfortunately, it's not a CC course.

> > I believe I have also played Aliso Viejo before but again not for some time. It was booked the last time I checked. And I've yet to get out on Old Ranch which I've heard mixed reviews about.

>

> Dove is pretty tough track designed by Bear. Definitely tougher than CDC North (RTJ designed).

>

> AV has fun layout but I hate inconsistent speed of greens. They drive me nuts. OR (my favorite) is nice fun track especially in summer. Being in Seal Beach right off 405 free way and few miles away from beach, you get nice ocean breeze that makes more challenging especially at 18th. Totally walkable course.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out OR soon.

> @flushem said:

> > @GeorgeL said:

> > I> @toypor said:

> > > > @GeorgeL said:

> > > > I echo the sentiments about SD CC courses. They're mediocre at best.

> > > > But if I had to rank them I think Shadowridge takes the top spot. The layout isn't bad and the conditions are usually good. I know that many in the golf industry from TM and Cally which are located close by play there.

> > > > Next I'd say is Bernardo Heights. It has a quirky layout and decent practice facilities. Then La Costa (both courses) and finally Morgan Run, which is probably the worst 'private' course I can think of that I've ever played (I haven't played El Camino).

> > > > If you want a decent CC course you'd have to drive to Orange County. Coto de Caza has 2 courses. I've played the North a few times but finally got to play to South and it blew my mind with the layout and scenery. Night and day vs the North, which is supposedly the more difficult of the two. I'm not convinced. The South is tighter with smaller greens. I still have nightmares about the 200yd tee shot 100% over water to a small green in a headwind. And after hitting out of the sand almost every hole on the front 9 I must say the bunkers are probably the best in SoCal. Pure white and fluffy sand. A member told me they spent a fortune on them and it looks like it.

> > >

> > > Have you played Dove Canyon which is right next door to Coto? I think Dove has a much superior layout and is a lot of fun to play. The clubhouse and amenities are better at Coto, but from a golf standpoint I much prefer Dove.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I played Dove before years ago for an SCGA outing. I thought it was a good track but can't remember any specific holes. Unfortunately, it's not a CC course.

> > I believe I have also played Aliso Viejo before but again not for some time. It was booked the last time I checked. And I've yet to get out on Old Ranch which I've heard mixed reviews about.

>

> Dove is pretty tough track designed by Bear. Definitely tougher than CDC North (RTJ designed).

>

> AV has fun layout but I hate inconsistent speed of greens. They drive me nuts. OR (my favorite) is nice fun track especially in summer. Being in Seal Beach right off 405 free way and few miles away from beach, you get nice ocean breeze that makes more challenging especially at 18th. Totally walkable course.

I just had a round at Coto de Caza North. It's been almost a year since I played there last time. Dang, it is challenging course. It opened up with 580 yd dog-leg right par 5. All holes consist pretty undulated fairways and green (fast too). Some tree lined holes are so unforgiving. They swallowed balls once balls went out of sights.

After all, everyone in my group enjoyed and made my birthday worth even more at this beautiful place.

• 2 weeks later...

Inside the Houston area, I have played Deerwood the most, Kingwood Forest, Kingwood Island, Riverbend and Magnolia Creek. Many years ago, I played Hearthstone and Bay Oaks. Of those, Deerwood and the Kingwood courses are by far the best tests of golf although Riverbend is a fun track.

Outside the Houston area, I have played the Tradition at College Station and Black Bear in Denver. Loved the Tradition. Black Bear was adequate. Nothing special.

In years past, I have played Abilene Country Club in Abilene, TX, and Lakeway, the Hills of Lakeway (both), River Place in Austin. Loved both Hills courses and River Place.

The Dallas Morning News ranks the Top 100 courses in the state of Texas. Several are affilated with Club Corp (with last year's rank in parenthesis):

38 Deerwood - Houston (26)

40 Traditions - College Station (28)

41 TPC Craig Ranch - Dallas (35)

45 Amarillo Country Club (42)

51 Stonebridge Ranch Dye course - Dallas (47)

65 Hills of Lakeway - Austin (46)

79 Kingwood Island - Houston (77)

85 Riverbend Country Club - Houston (NR)

93 Kingwood Forest - Houston (69)

100 Stonebriar CC - Dallas (NR)

A couple of the Woodlands courses also made the list (Tournament course 33, Gary Player course 73). I can't get on those courses with my local membership, but maybe traveling members can.

Also, several Barton Creek courses made the list (Fazio Foothills 26, Fazio Canyons 63, Palmer Lakeside 93). While those are resort courses, I believe Club Corp gets you discounted rates.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

> @oneunderbogey said:

> Any thoughts on University club of Milwaukee (Golf or Food) or Bishops Bay in Madison?

I thought the University Club of Milwaukee (was a different name when I played) course was better than average for ClubCorp. I give it a boost because I like the older walkable courses that aren't in housing developments. I didn't stay for food so can't comment there.

On another topic anyone have a good way to keep track of clubs that are added or removed as affiliate clubs. They seem to change without notice. For example in Oahu Hawaii Royal Hawaiian was accessible via ClubCorp, it has changed somewhat recently to Mid Pacific.

As a regular play Mid Pacific is the better course with way better conditioning but they don't seem to allow play before 1pm on the weekends. I also thought Royal Hawaiian was the perfect course to play when visiting Hawaii. It's definitely a cart course but the jungle feel on the front nine and then the mountain views on the back give you a feel you don't get outside of Hawaii (Ko'Olau is the other course with a similar feel).