Epic flash sub zero fairway = best fairway of 2019????

mcc0819

• 4 weeks later...

I hit the Epic Flash Subzero 13.5 this past week at the Ely Callaway Performance Center and I was impressed. I tried the Hzrdus Smoke and the GC AD IZ shaft. The AD IZ had better dispersion for me. I have a Rogue Subzero 15 degree that I brought with me, and the EFSZ 3+ was clearly better not just in ball speed and distance, but dispersion as well. I do like the shape of this 3 wood as well. Can't wait for it to be delivered, but not sure how long that part takes.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

It's the best one I've hit this year!

Ok, ok, it's the only 2019 fairway I've hit this year, but it's still the best one I've hit this year!

(that joke works with my favorite 10 year old son, who happens to be my only 10 year old son, so it must work here as well, right?)

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

• 4 weeks later...

I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

> @Mob said:

> I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

I have the same setup with the 15* head and it is easily the best fairway wood I’ve ever gamed. The most surprising thing to me was how well I have hit it off the deck. A real winner

Have been demo'ing the SZ and so far it hasn't been for me. Definitely not bad, just not any better than what I've used in overall performance. There is definitely some shaft influence as what I've been testing isn't something that has worked well for me in other heads. On less than flushed shots, I think it's just not spinning enough which is obviously what it's there for, but from all the buzz I had to give it a try. The head shape/profile and sound is excellent though. I did find it performed very well across the face - I needed to make a small setup adjustment as I was at first catching it heel-side, and the distance wasn't suffering, it just sounded different. After the adjustment I was only getting another 5 yards or so which was impressive, especially for its size. I've looked at the regular Flash a few times now in store and it doesn't seem as "closed" as the standard head has in past years so that may be better for me. So far I think the whole Epic Flash line is kind of flying under the radar a little bit with there being so many good options this year.

I tested the M5, M6, Flash SZ, Flash Standard, F9, G410 and they couldnt beat my combo of TS2 w/ the Pro White 70g. It may not be the longest, but its not by much. I'm more concerned with dispersion and the TS2 fit the bill.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Why didn't you try the f9 tour? It takes quite a bit of spin off the ball and adds a lot of carry.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Epic Flash sub zero/standard flash are LEGIT fairway woods. Highest ball speeds I have ever got off a fairway wood, even on off center strikes. That is what I was so suprised and happy with, very hot face but with forgiveness.

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

I use my 3 wood as a tee shot alternate, when the driver misbehaves. My main need is to hit fairways with decent length. Fairways are much more important for me, than choosing whichever 3 wood is longest. I hope to get this out on the course soon and see if it achieves this goal for me.

LEFT HANDED

Agreed on the F9 Tour fairways, best I have ever played, hands down. I actually hit it bad off the tee once yesterday, and was surprised. I was starting to think it was magic, but a crap swing, is a crap swing.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I got out this past weekend a few times, and hit the EFSZ 3+ off a few tees. I have to say that I am impressed so far. Really nice penetrating ball flight with good distance. Sound and feel are very nice and the shaft I chose seems to be a good choice for my swing so far. I am looking forward to hitting this off the tee when needed.

LEFT HANDED

Gonna pick one of these up. Have enough old clubs to trade in to make an even trade.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I have one due to show up any day now. I have always gotten along with Callaway fairway woods. I picked up a 917F3 this past winter since I loved the shape of it. It feels dead compared to the Epic SZ 3 wood I had before. Decided to just bite the bullet and order the Epic Flash SZ. I held all of the newest offerings in hand and the EF was by far the best looking of the bunch to my eye. The Ping is just a weird shape. It looks gigantic and the super flat sole just puts me off. the F9 Tour almost looked like a hybrid. The regular F9 looked pretty good though. Just a bit too shallow to my eye. The M5/M6 were alright, but I just decided to go back to a brand I am comfortable with.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

> @mcc0819 said:

> Went to a fairway wood fitting yesterday.  Going into it I was set on the Ping G410 lst or the Titleist ts3.  I ended testing those two heads along with the cobra f9 tour, epic flash sub zero, mizuno st190, and tm m5. 

>

> My driver SS is 114-117 so I tested all heads using 70-85 gram shafts in xflex.  After about 10-15 swings on each head and shaft combo there was a clear winner.  The epic flash sub zero.

>

>  Highest club head speed went with the f9 but spin, carry, and especially dispersion the epic flash was head above better than the rest.  The feel of the club when flushed is good as it gets.  Average carry with the other heads were between 248-255.  With the epic flash, average carry was 262.  Most importantly, my dispersion with the epic flash was what won me over. 

>

> At at the end of the day, I ended up ordering the epic flash sub zero with the Hzrdus smoke 6.5 80 gram shaft.  To be totally honest, I really didn’t even consider the epic flash before my fitting.  Since I’m a ping fanboy, I was really set on the g410 lst.  While that was a solid performer, the performance of the epic flash in comparison with all the other woods were clearly superior. The mizuno st190 and cobra f9 tour were also great performers but are distant 2nd and 3rd place to the epic flash sub zero. 

>

> In conclusion, I can’t wait to get this on the course. It’s easy to hit off the deck and is an absolute cannon off the tee.  For me, this will be my safety net when I’m having off days with the driver.  What are your guys’ experience with the epic flash sub zero fairway?  

I tried them all too, but in the end the standard F9 was the best of the bunch. I have it turned down to 13.5 and it is great off the tee and great off of the turf. The epic flash SZ was the second best of the bunch for me. I didn't care for the standard Epic 3 wood at all.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

The Epic Flash sub zero fairway woods with the front and back weight ports and adjustable hosel, is what clearly seperates it from Rogue sz. I like and used to game rogue sz, but after getting a few different weights for flash sz and messing around with different combos it is just so much better imo. I went with 10 gram weight in back and 8 in front, this combo seems to keep launch up for off the deck shots. Played 4 rounds so far with it off the tee or very long approach shots, hasn’t let me down yet.

Bettinardi BBzero

• 1 month later...

While not the SZ. I've got the standard 3 playing D+1 with a Tensei blue CK 65 stiff and a rogue 12gm weight in it (weighs in at D7)

It's automatic off the tee and I've never hit an easier wood off the deck. Playing a minimalist bag at the moment and it's been my driver replacement. Scores are lower thanks to similar distance/better accuracy.

SZ spun way less for me. I was getting 2200's which wasnt enough to stabilise flight off the deck. 3k with the standard and the ball flight is much straighter and easy to control.

• 1 month later...

Are we still loving the EFSZ 3w? The M4 Tour and I are having some relationship issues so I might be looking to trade her in for a younger model. I hate practically giving away a 3w with the Tour AD IZ in it which is why I still have it in the bag. That shaft is worth more than the M4 right now, lol

I'm turning over the M4 way too much which is more me than the club BUT having said that how hook biased is the EFSZ?

> @Kmac said:

> Are we still loving the EFSZ 3w? The M4 Tour and I are having some relationship issues so I might be looking to trade her in for a younger model. I hate practically giving away a 3w with the Tour AD IZ in it which is why I still have it in the bag. That shaft is worth more than the M4 right now, lol

> I'm turning over the M4 way too much which is more me than the club BUT having said that how hook biased is the EFSZ?

I just got one...15* and I am loving mine. It’s a rocket and to me it’s not draw bias at all but I don’t fight a hook really at all. I hit it pretty straight with a 5 yard block my standard miss. The head is so solid it’s ridiculous and it’s hot. Nice mid flight and the spin is way down.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Still LOVING my epic flash sub zero 3 wood. It is very neutral with a slight fade bias, but also has adjustable hosel to open or close face angle (decrease/increase loft). Having the front and back weight ports is probably my favorite aspect of the club, as you can put more weight towards the face to maybe help slow down your closure rate. I have the 15 degree on n/s with graphite design tour ad TP 7x tipped 3/4” playing at 42.25”, and 10 gram weights in both front and back weights ports. This set up allows me to work ball both ways and keeps spin consistent. I get great flight off the tee with some roll out, and can flight it a little higher if hitting into green from 250 + out. I loved it so much I purchased the 13.5 degree head paired with a Tensei Pro Blue 70tx.

Bettinardi BBzero

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I may have found a 3 wood that might actually kick out the epic flash sz out of the bag. Since that “other website” posted their annual best fairway list, one thing that stuck out to me was that they had the Srixon zf85 as the most distance fairway wood. So I went out and hit a demo. Holy sh**. This thing flies. I normally carry 245-250 with epic flash sz. With the zf85, I averaged 256 carry. Only concern was I was over drawing it and sits slightly closer at address. I figured it may be because of the stock HZRDUS red shaft that just wasn’t stable enough for my swing. Being a club hoe, I bought it out of curiosity and put an AD-TP 8x in it. The shaft turned this thing into a mini rocket launcher. Flight has straightened out with an average carry of 261 and dispersion has tightened up compared to the epic flash. Now I may be in the honeymoon phase but I will continue to test it out for the next month and see how it compares to the epic flash sz but so far so good.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> @taoslcl said:

> Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”