How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)

vbb

Your story reminds me of myself, same scenario every round shaking in my shoes at the 18th green. The way I beat 80 was by doing 1 thing, record your score each hole then put the card away do not add up or count anything until the round is over, you'll know if you have been playing well enough but resist the urge to tally score mid round.

> @2ball said:

> try keeping score differently. Instead of writing a 4 down on a par 4 put in a -. If you bogie +1. If you birdie -1. This way you don't see a tally.

>

My mind would be doing the tally faster that way. Let someone else keep the card.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Broke 80 for the second time ever yesterday. Shot 79 with only 1 birdie. The way my I’ve been struggling to break 90 the last few weeks, I definitely did not expect a score like that. Honestly didn’t even think that I was sub 80 until I added up my scores post round. Had a 30 footer for bird on 18 and blew it 6 feet by, then luckily saved par. Had I known prior to that par save that I needed it for 79, I would’ve missed that 10/10 times lol....weird game!

It will happen ... always does at 90 or 80 or 70 ... keep grinding

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bsirota said:

> > 80 has no statistical significance other than it is one stroke better than 81 & 1 stroke worse than 79.

>

> Unless you are a golfer!

Exactly! I know 79 is only 1 stroke better than 80, but it sure seems to mean so much more!

I think my best bet is to let someone else keep the card for me so that I won't know where I stand. I track all of my rounds in the Golfshot app though (or at least keep the same stats on the card and plug it in to the app later) so that's another impediment to me "forgetting" where I stand in the round.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I’ll just say again that breaking 80 while knowing your score can be done. It is “physically impossible “ for me to not know my score, and so I’ve stopped trying to “forget” it. I just own it and try to play through the nervousness with mental game techniques, etc. I’ve actually discovered lately that I’m a lot more clutch than I thought I was. Believe me, I’ve had my share of puking all over the 18th green while trying to shoot a score, but I’m trying to learn to manage those feelings better. I closed out a match on 18 the other day with one of the best iron shots I’ve ever hit, and was the leading money winner in a guys weekend mainly due to winning practically single-handedly a two man better ball competition.

Moral of the story is that you can be more clutch than you thought if you work on mental game techniques, which may or may not include ignoring your score.

I finished Bogey-Bogey-Bogey yesterday for an 80...........still sucks even though I have broken 80 a lot. But when I go back to the 1980's when I was trying to break through for the first time I struggled with the pressure as well and it took me a while. After doing it a few times that pressure mostly goes away.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

> @vbb said:

> None taken! My home course is a par 72, sloped at 132 from the blues (6500yds) and 126 from the whites (6000yds). I play the blues 90% of the time

> My bigger goal is to finish the year at a 9.9 index. I'd rather do that than break 80.

I play a similar slope/length par 72 course most of the time. My last round out was a 79. I've shot in the 70s enough that it isn't a huge event but it is still a better than average round for me so I care about it.

Like others have mentioned, I kind of know where I am on the card through the round but I don't always know exactly. I do add up the score at the turn. However, the key for me has been to not extrapolate any results (good start) or worry about a slow start. I've played enough to know I can double any hole or go double-double-double on any stretch to ruin a round. I've also made up a lot of ground in rounds when you least expect it. It's cliche but just focus on each shot and try to do the best you can given the situation (risk-reward).

The last round of 79 I actually started with 5 straight bogeys and then played the next 13 holes in two over (3 bogeys, 1 birdie). I had started on the 5th hole (drove out to a place with less people), so I knew where I was when I started on holes #1 - #4 to finish up (had the score from the back 9 and knew I shot 5 over on the first 5 holes). Honestly though, I wasn't thinking about 79 when I made a) ~8 footer on the 2nd to last hole (#3) for par and b) got up and down on the last hole (#4). Had I been thinking about it, I doubt I would have done it. I've had some many rounds where I need to play the last 4 holes in X to shoot Y (Y either a good score or a higher score that I try to stay at/below) and it never happens.

Given your course's slope, my guess is you will break 80 at least once if you reach your goal of finishing the year with an index of 9.9 or lower. You probably need to average about 84 for the scores that are used, so having one or a couple in the 70s wouldn't be crazy. Good luck.

I’m curious. Why 9.9, instead of 9.4? I ask because I had a similar goal in the past, but I liked 9.4 because then I round to single digits, and I show up as 9 handicap on all of the tournament pubs, etc.

Anyway, I got as low as 8.9 but am now back at 9.3. But I’ve been a “9” for a little while now.

I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.

In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

A great many people never break 80, yet they touch on it often. Most people want it so much, it creates added pressure that builds on the back nine. Anticipating/fear of mistakes devastates people. Also, people create additional pressure contemplating how he/she might feel having to live up to maintaining a low index. In other words, it's called getting in your own way of success. People do it in all sorts of ways.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Mych said:

> I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.

> In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Mych said:

> > I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.

> > In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

> Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

>

> Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

>

> Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

I almost never attribute a great round to skill. There may be a couple made putts that are outside my 50/50 range, a good bounce or two, an up & down that I wouldn't expect to make. Usually, it's also nearly mistake-free (for my skill level), so no penalty strokes or 3 putts. I give myself credit for good contact and good course management, but the results are only partially in my control.

I agree with you on the averages... I don't think 75 is realistic for me, but I have 9's of 38 multiple times throughout the year. When I can pair a 38 and a 41, it's a better than average day.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Mych said:

> > > I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.

> > > In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

> > Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

> >

> > Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

> >

> > Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

> I almost never attribute a great round to skill. There may be a couple made putts that are outside my 50/50 range, a good bounce or two, an up & down that I wouldn't expect to make. Usually, it's also nearly mistake-free (for my skill level), so no penalty strokes or 3 putts. I give myself credit for good contact and good course management, but the results are only partially in my control.

> I agree with you on the averages... I don't think 75 is realistic for me, but I have 9's of 38 multiple times throughout the year. When I can pair a 38 and a 41, it's a better than average day.

Sounds like we are about the same. In the last year I have one round where I've broken 40 on both sides (38-39=77). Some other 79s but obviously one side always at/above 40 (I think they've all been 38-41 or 41-38 but not entirely sure).

I always try for no penalty shots, no 3-putts, and no doubles+. Given my skill level, it's relatively rare to have zero for even just 1 category. Interestingly, all of my sub-80 rounds have penalty shots (and more often than not 2 penalty shots), and my rounds with no penalty shots tend to be average at best. I am not entirely sure but I think on the days when I'm not swinging as well I probably take more conservative routes/shots, but overall you just don't do great. I don't track my 3-putts close enough to distinguish between a wasted shot (i.e. 3 putt from 20-30 feet) or one that is more due to a crummy iron shot (50+ feet away, wrong tier, etc).

The first time I broke 80, I think I had shot 80 9-10 times. Most of them were 40-40, it was super frustrating. Once I did, I shot 77, and then shot 78 a few more times. Last year I shot 78 for the first time since high school. Oddly enough, I have yet to shoot a 79. 77, 78, or 80.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Man, do I get it.

I was consistently around par when I was a kid - then took a LONG layoff from playing regularly. Maybe once or twice a year for almost 20 years. Got back to it super regularly late last year and this whole year has been a process of trying to get NEAR my old game. Still haven't broken 80.

Just a couple weeks ago, was playing at my favorite course with my buddy and, honestly, we were having such a blast (we'd gotten paired with a couple really nice older fellas) I totally wasn't thinking much about my score. Had an OK front - a 42 with a handful of missed up and downs and a drive that REALLY got away from me that lead to a double. So it wasn't bad, just some mistakes. Started the back with a birdie and then ... all pars (two of which were after 12ish footers I should have made, really). But we'd been just enjoying the round so much ... it wasn't till the 17th tee that I noticed "Whoa ... I'm one under on the back!"

Big mistake.

17's a long par 3 and I hit a great tee shot that just got caught up in the wind and landed in the right hand greenside bunker. So I'm standing over it ... "Just get it on the green. That's all you have to do. Get it on the green. Bogey is fine. Don't ruin your round here." Proceeded to hit almost exactly the shot I wanted ... except it lacked about a foot of carry, caught the lip and rolled back to me. Like an idiot, I didn't take my time on the next shot and chunked it about a 5 feet ... then just blasted it out a good 25 feet past. Two putt for a triple.

18 is a reachable par 5 with two great shots - which I've done - and I've birdied that one plenty of times. Hit a solid drive but the wind was a bit much right-to-left and there's OB left ... and my miss is a pull-hook - so I decided to play it smart and just knock down a wedge to get to my 110 mark; which is a full 52°. Perfect and ... nearly perfect but the wind blew it a bit offline, so I was about 15 feet left and pin high.

This was my "putt to win the Masters!" moment.

AAAAAND I missed it, just burning the left edge. A coulda-been 35 - and round of 77 - turned into a 38 for another damn 80. All because my score got into my head.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @aenemated said:

> Man, do I get it.

>

> I was consistently around par when I was a kid - then took a LONG layoff from playing regularly. Maybe once or twice a year for almost 20 years. Got back to it super regularly late last year and this whole year has been a process of trying to get NEAR my old game. Still haven't broken 80.

>

> Just a couple weeks ago, was playing at my favorite course with my buddy and, honestly, we were having such a blast (we'd gotten paired with a couple really nice older fellas) I totally wasn't thinking much about my score. Had an OK front - a 42 with a handful of missed up and downs and a drive that REALLY got away from me that lead to a double. So it wasn't bad, just some mistakes. Started the back with a birdie and then ... all pars (two of which were after 12ish footers I should have made, really). But we'd been just enjoying the round so much ... it wasn't till the 17th tee that I noticed "Whoa ... I'm one under on the back!"

>

> Big mistake.

>

> 17's a long par 3 and I hit a great tee shot that just got caught up in the wind and landed in the right hand greenside bunker. So I'm standing over it ... "Just get it on the green. That's all you have to do. Get it on the green. Bogey is fine. Don't ruin your round here." Proceeded to hit almost exactly the shot I wanted ... except it lacked about a foot of carry, caught the lip and rolled back to me. Like an idiot, I didn't take my time on the next shot and chunked it about a 5 feet ... then just blasted it out a good 25 feet past. Two putt for a triple.

>

> 18 is a reachable par 5 with two great shots - which I've done - and I've birdied that one plenty of times. Hit a solid drive but the wind was a bit much right-to-left and there's OB left ... and my miss is a pull-hook - so I decided to play it smart and just knock down a wedge to get to my 110 mark; which is a full 52°. Perfect and ... nearly perfect but the wind blew it a bit offline, so I was about 15 feet left and pin high.

>

> This was my "putt to win the Masters!" moment.

>

> AAAAAND I missed it, just burning the left edge. A coulda-been 35 - and round of 77 - turned into a 38 for another **** 80. All because my score got into my head.

I felt that man. I can totally identify. I started giving myself those same mental coaching thoughts... "just get it on the green." "Bogey is fine here." "Just put a drive in the fairway, you don't need distance." "Just hit a smooth 7 iron here, don't need to go hard at an 8 iron." All those ultra conservative thoughts tend to backfire, make me tense and ultimately play worse. If I honestly could relax all the way into the round and just play, I swear it would be easier, but none of the tricks to forget my score seem to work.

I guess the one positive takeaway from all of this is that breaking 80 does seem to be more in my head than in my skill level. I can do it, skill wise. I've got the shots. I've parred every single hole on my home course many times, and without needing some spectacular chip in or 40' putt to do it. I've made routine pars on every hole at some point, and birdies on all but one hole out of the 18 (coincidentally enough, hole 18 is the only hole I've never birdied). I just need to stop thinking so much and go out there an play. Easier said than done.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

• vbb changed the title to How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)