It's time to go to the Senior tees

Tanner25

> @GolfNuts4 said:

> What tee's you play has nothing to do with age or handicap, it has to do with length. I am 55 and do not hit my driver more than 210-220 yards. I play the "gold" tee's. (Note that I did not say "senior" tee's). That way, I have a mid to short iron into the green and my drive lands about the same as the guys playing tee's that are further back. This game is hard enough, having a wood/hybrid into greens is really not fun. No problem checking my ego at the door.

That doesn't make much sense. I have never seen a scorecard that spells out "length" as the reason for playing a set of tees.

I meant how far you hit the ball, if you don't hit the ball very far, move up, so you have shorter clubs into the green. Who wants to be hitting woods and hybrids into greens, its no fun, unless you like to suffer.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I finally started playing from the "senior" tees this years and it has made me somewhat more competitive within the group of younger guys I normally play with. I still can get it around the course fashionably and hold my own most of the time, but last Sunday on #18 par 5, which plays 485 from the seniors and 540 from the back tees, I hit a great drive that left me 200 out, up hill to the green. Now I'm feeling pumped until we get to the other balls, which I didn't see being hit from the tee and here's Mr Blasted the crap out of it, at least 30 yards past me. I've got a 3 wood to the green and he hits a 6 iron slightly long to the back fringe. So I've now decided to get a wig and borrow the wife's culottes and play from the ladies tees..................... :D

• Like 1

> @disco111 said:

> I finally started playing from the "senior" tees this years and it has made me somewhat more competitive within the group of younger guys I normally play with. I still can get it around the course fashionably and hold my own most of the time, but last Sunday on #18 par 5, which plays 485 from the seniors and 540 from the back tees, I hit a great drive that left me 200 out, up hill to the green. Now I'm feeling pumped until we get to the other balls, which I didn't see being hit from the tee and here's Mr Blasted the **** out of it, at least 30 yards past me. I've got a 3 wood to the green and he hits a 6 iron slightly long to the back fringe. So I've now decided to get a wig and borrow the wife's culottes and play from the ladies tees..................... :D

I really think you should go with a skort!?

Many want to feel a connection to professional golfers and think they have to play the tips. Most of us will never make a dime playing golf, or impress anybody by the tees we play. Why sacrifice enjoyment with the false notion that I might impress somebody by playing longer tees than my capability? Senior tees are just fine.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > I finally started playing from the "senior" tees this years and it has made me somewhat more competitive within the group of younger guys I normally play with. I still can get it around the course fashionably and hold my own most of the time, but last Sunday on #18 par 5, which plays 485 from the seniors and 540 from the back tees, I hit a great drive that left me 200 out, up hill to the green. Now I'm feeling pumped until we get to the other balls, which I didn't see being hit from the tee and here's Mr Blasted the **** out of it, at least 30 yards past me. I've got a 3 wood to the green and he hits a 6 iron slightly long to the back fringe. So I've now decided to get a wig and borrow the wife's culottes and play from the ladies tees..................... :D

>

> I really think you should go with a skort!?

>

>

I draw the line at shaving my legs, plus you really don't want to see these candle sticks.....

> @hybrid25 said:

> Many want to feel a connection to professional golfers and think they have to play the tips. Most of us will never make a dime playing golf, or impress anybody by the tees we play. Why sacrifice enjoyment with the false notion that I might impress somebody by playing longer tees than my capability? Senior tees are just fine.

I often wonder why some golfers play the blue tees, when often they don't belong there. Feeling a connection to what the pros do may make sense. Perhaps, to be short of the traps?

I just spent 4 days in FL and another 3 days in Cancun. Both times playing the "Golds" had a ball. In Cancun we were paired with a couple that were going to play the whites but opted to move up with us. He stated it was his best round he's played all week. People gotta learn to make the game FUN, not harder.

Back home playing the Whites and Blacks. Vacations over.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

• 2 weeks later...

Had to move up years ago after turning 60, and my buddies where whining about it, so what. I was getting sore trying to hit it that far, it's not their bodies that were suffering. They were knocking it way past me when i was playing the whites, really. It is fun hitting irons into greens again. If you drive the ball around 200-210 you need to move up. Glad we have gold tees and not just reds only. They need to change all red tees to green when I move up again.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

play blended tees. : Some holes Snr tee. some holes other. Make it fun

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> I hate the term, mens, women's, senior tees etc. I think it discourages people from playing from the proper tees that match their driving distance and inhibits their enjoyment.

Agreed. It also seems to encourage other players to tell players, that should be playing a set of tees with less overall distance, that they shouldn't play those tee's because they are Senior or Ladies tee's or whatever. In the group I run I made it known that age and gender have nothing to do with who is allowed to play the tee's with less distance. I am trying to avoid calling them Senior and/or Ladies tees at all costs but old habits can be heard to break occasionally.

There is a new sign where I play. Something along the lines of: If you normally score in the 70's, play from the blue tees, if you score in the 80's, play from the white tees, if you score in the 90's, play from the red tees, if you score in the 100's, play from gold tees. It just happens to fit my game, playing from the whites.

• Like 1

couple years ago I was at an unfamiliar course. bought their yardage book. first hole was a bendy 500+ par five.

saw the fairway trap layout and stepped to the third tee up.

Starter bellows "What are you going all the way up there for?" I give him my best grin and said, "To have a good time".

Thank goodness I laid my shot up the middle and walked straight ahead like I knew what I was doing.

there's a par three I sometimes play that way at home. 160-190-210. I get tired and KMA.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

We play reds on windy days, and whites on calm days. Takes some of the winds advantage away.

Titleist TSi2 driver, 11 deg, Tensi Reg shaft

Titleist TSi2 16.5 4 wood, Tensi Stiff shaft

Titleist T300 irons, 5-PW, AW S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey 54/10 custom wedge KBS Tour

Titleist Vokey 58/4 custom wedge KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback putter 35"

2022 Yamaha Drive2 PTV-Atomic Flame

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> Color schmolor! I just like to keep around 61-6200 max..... this is a hard, hard sport and not having enough speed to hit the long irons anymore makes it imperative to move up for a comfortable number

I also play to a yardage, pretty much the same as you. I prefer about 6000 yards. In a casual round I'll mix and match tees to get there. If I have to pull driver on a par 3, I'm moving up. It matters of course where the yards are. Long par 5's don't bother me because I'm never getting on in two anyway.

I'm 65. Around 5 years or so ago in the Fall, when the course got wet and the air cool, I noticed I couldn't reach most of the par 4s anymore, and the ones I "could" reach I was hitting 3W or 3H...no fun at all. I started playing the "yellow" or "senior" tees when it was cold, or wet, or both. I can still punch it out there 220-230 IF it's warm and dry, but what playing in cold, wet conditions has painfully revealed, I can only carry my drive, in the cool air, (or Florida's warm sea level air) about 180 or so.

I've recently joined a new course, and Spring has been cool and very wet. This course has a set of "hybrid" Greeen tees, which on some holes match up with the Whites, and some holes the Yellow. So far they seem to be perfect for me, and they are what most of my contemporaries play. When things dry out, I will be a beast. Maybe I'll move back to the whites if the group wants to.

Our old man league played last week and there was one guy in the group who insisted on playing the Whites. He is a big strong guy, and hit 2 or 3 prodigious drives that justified in his mind his decision to play them, but many times he didn't carry to the green tees. Mostly he slowed play down so badly that the group behind us, all playing the Greens, got disgusted and quit.

From the Greens right now, there are no par 5s I can reach in two. When it dries out, maybe. Probably one or two. That will be fun.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @8602081 said:

> Our league changed the rules for this year.. Anyone can play senior tees.. But, they have to play the same Tees for rest of the year. That way, we can keep track of Handicapps. I think it's for the better and makes the round go faster..

You can keep track of handicaps no matter how often a player moves tees. I get the 'rest of the year' requirement but just wanted to point out you can track handicaps even if players are moving around.

> @8602081 said:

> Our league changed the rules for this year.. Anyone can play senior tees.. But, they have to play the same Tees for rest of the year. That way, we can keep track of Handicapps. I think it's for the better and makes the round go faster..

Isn't that what handicap is for? To even out the group

The league I play, has everyone playing the whites which at this place is 3,000 per nine (they have 3 nines). We are able to see everyones results online. The best round on Monday, 37 (A great wood player like Stenson) , the worst 54. I can par a few and maybe birdie one a round. Mid 40's. Makes it fun.

One of the new guys, a strapping weight lifter was complaining the course was to short for his driver. His first 5 drives were maybe 100 yards each. The next 5 150 with a wild slice. He killed one on that last par 4 hole. Looked like he had driven the green, until it landed in the trees. He shot a 48.

I'm starting to think testosterone does more than grow hair in places it shouldn't and create life in places it shouldn't

• Like 1

I can't shoot par from the hybrid tees; why would I ever consider moving further back?

Learning to be comfortable hitting something other than driver off the tee should a requirement. I have played many a round where the driver rarely saw the light of day, instead hitting a hybrid or fairway wood from the tee box.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I am 67 and a 16 HCP and have never been better than a high 14 HCP. Started at age 40 and have tried to play 20 - 25 rounds per season and have never sniffed 70's. I recently moved and just joined a semi-private club that I like and the white (middle) tees are 600 yards longer than the whites from my previous course. I have not been able to beak 90 in 6 tries and am considering moving to the Senior tees which are 300 yards shorter but I do not know if it will make much of a difference. As a 16.3 index my handicap for my new course from the whites is 19 and as a par 72 I have shot 91 twice which matches my course handicap. I do miss dipping into the mid and upper 80's and will certainly give the senior tees a try next time out and am curious if I will find it more satisfying.

> @martinbns said:

> Still playing whites, but in Florida on vacation this year the guy we matched up with wanted to play blue, 6450.

>

> I agreed, didn't hit an iron into a green until the 14th hole, still shot 82 and beat the Blue guy by about 6 shots.

>

> I used to hit a drive 240-260, today it's 210 to 230, makes even a 6100 yard course feel pretty long.

Blue guy could be me. Damn man, I need to work on my short game. :lol: I play my course at ~6640 and usually have a gap wedge or 9-iron at the most into greens. Some second shots into 3/4 of the par 5's are a 5-7 iron. I haven't even sniffed 82 this year!!

I will be 73 this summer. My handicap bounces around 11 to 13 these days playing about 200 rounds a year. I play in 2 tournament leagues plus in the MGA at one club and SMGA at another. One league always plays the Senior tees. The other league, I have the option of playing either the regular tees or senior tees (giving up whatever strokes the formula comes up with). My decision to play senior tees usually hinges on how many strokes do I have to give up and the hole by hole yardage. If a lot of par 4s are over 400 yards or the par 3s are mostly 200 or better from the regular tees, I will play the senior tees. At the club where I am in the MGA, I have to play from the regular tees because my age plus my handicap index have yet to reach 85 (close but still not yet). In the SMGA at the other club, we play the senior tees but if you are over 70 you have the option of playing the forward tees (losing 2 strokes if you do). I did that a few times during the winter when we were CPO from all the rain we were getting. Otherwise, I rarely do. Our senior tees there are 6083.

I can play up to about 6200 yards from whatever tees those are. Much more than that these days it gets pretty long for me.