2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno ST190 swing weight custom adjustment

Hammer22

This is a follow up on my **[sT180 swing weight](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1653346/mizuno-st180-driver-swing-weight-custom-adjustment "ST180 swing weight")** (<---Link) thread from last year, but now having moved on to the fantastic ST190 in both the driver and TS 3-wood. Actually not much new to this since the TaylorMade weights from the '16 M2, JetSpeed (what I had dabbled with in the ST180), M4 & M6 all work, but I figured it was worth sharing. Since my driver came in at a D3 using the Atmos TS Black 6S shaft, I didn't need to touch it at all. The head is about 196g with the factory 6g weight, as an FYI.

On a good note for anyone that does happen to shorten their driver from the stock 45" link, or change shafts, the JetSpeed weight still works fine using its aluminum trim ring. I borrowed this pic from the **[sT190 Driver](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1713936/mizuno-st-190-driver "ST190 Driver")** thread showing that weight installed in one (thanks to L.H. for experimenting with his!) . Same deal: slightly smaller diameter than the Mizuno weight, but works:

1bhy9ncn8oea.jpg

Stock driver head with its weight:

bu5pz3so0039.jpg

For me, I cut my TS 3-wood down from 43" to 42-1/2" which dropped the swing weight from the factory D3 to D0 (Atmos TS Black 7S shaft). Since I dislike lead tape, and didn't want to mess with hot melt, putting a heavier weight in was ideal. The factory "plug" is about 1 or 2g's, so I calculated that about 6g would be needed. Taking the original weight out is a cinch: put some heat on it, and use a T-25 Tamper-Proof Torx bit, or as mentioned in my ST180 thread, the TM wrench works perfectly. The bare head is about 203g:

dn95c3i44fa3.jpg

Stock picture from Mizuno showing the "plugs" in the new fairway woods:

mqb6ubvd9rwo.jpg

The JetSpeed weight, minus the trim ring is perfect since it has a diameter of about 10mm (compared to 11mm for the original). You just have to be careful that some of the heavy ones get long, so you don't want to hit the underside of the crown with them. I didn't measure how much room there is, but it's pretty decent and shouldn't be an issue for most. Here are a couple pictures of the TM & Mizuno weights side by side (Mizuno's on the left):

1epvnyqmtkz4.jpg

ikdnhqeyzgvc.jpg

Once installed, you won't even know it isn't the original. Head is up to about 209g which brings the club back to D3 (matches my driver, CLK hybrid, and JPX919F long irons). The JetSpeed weight also has a thread locker on it, so that makes it even easier (just be aware that one uses a T-20 Tamper-Proof Torx bit).

nb3lhbjye6uo.jpg

Again, all the TM weights from the early M2, as well as the M4 & M6 work, (the thread pitch is 5/16-24). The head diameters are all approximately 10mm as well, so the selection is endless (especially on eBay). Some pictures for reference:

miuf83a7506k.jpg

djmwgev4tj68.jpg

kl8wvmuonvzp.jpg

These new Mizuno woods are awesome to say the least, and tweaking them a bit should be no problem for anyone!

• Thanks 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

WOW well done Hammer! This is a great write up and sure to help so many

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I wish i had a 3rd sliding weight for my ST190G at the moment. A little more swing weight with the HZRDUS Black in it would be ideal.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Holy hell! Reading this thread and your old one linked above had me feel like I was talking to myself in ways. I am a bit behind you in updating from the 180 to 190, but I also used the old M2 mentioned. I had a hard time figuring out what was so different at times in my swing but I started this year out really well and swing is dialed. Still, flight was off on the 180. I went the other route of adding a bunch of lead tape, I kind of like the look at times lol. Aside from having to redo it eventually. Have required to do this on my original m2 fairway that I also have lead tape on. It's amazing how much improved ball flight I've gotten from added weight on my 180 and m2. I was convincing myself I needed a new $500 Taylormade driver to fix my woes. I want to upgrade both to the new offerings by Mizuno this year just for aesthetics. I much more prefer your tinkering method and really appreciate the post!

Thank you for this info Hammer! I just got on the bandwagon this year with last year's 180s (have both the GT and ST drivers and GT 3wd). Mizuno sent me two of the sliding weights for the GT driver (free of charge, GREAT customer service!), but I've been going with lead tape on the ST. Good to know that once I settle on a head and final SW this is an option if I go with the ST!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Thanks for this, I was wondering if they same weights would work!

It seems like for the ST190 driver that maybe a 17mm rubber O-ring could work around to fill the extra space?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

> @Valtiel said:

> Thanks for this, I was wondering if they same weights would work!

>

> It seems like for the ST190 driver that maybe a 17mm rubber O-ring could work around to fill the extra space?

You can get creative there since some of the other TM weights even have different trim rings that would probably work. I had just originally used the JetSpeed weight/ring on the ST180 since it was easy to acquire. It could be left off, or your idea of a rubber or metal washer would probably fit fine. Once you decide on how much weight is needed, there are plenty of options, some probably more aesthetically pleasing than others.

Wanted to add to this since I got curious about the weights in the driver head and figured some more useful information was worth sharing. I didn't need to touch my ST180, but wanted to know about the weight just for the heck of it. Turns out Mizuno did something neat with this one in that it's two pieces: the same size inner weight used in the fairway woods and then a separate trim ring. This will make swing weight adjustments on this one even easier.

In a nutshell, the trim ring has an outer diameter of about 18mm, means the TaylorMade M2 weight for the '17 head may actually work. This saves the unusual look of the JetSpeed weight and undersize trim ring as shown in the first post (still thanks to L.H. for trying it out!). Here's mine - a 2g ring and 4g weight:

q4vo37cv78l9.jpg

The bare head showing the larger port, which is just under 19mm in diameter (still with the same 5/16-24 thread):

jeh055htrmfh.jpg

So basically, you can keep the trim ring and use any weight that fits the fairway wood (although those have a slightly smaller diameter, which won't really be noticeable). Again, the '17 M2 weight should work, but I didn't have one handy to check - just had to go off the measurements I had from my original ST180 thread. I also found some on eBay that were listed as "Tour Issue" that were two-piece like the ST190, so I thunk those might fit as well. Pictures of both:

8gbqyil4j7ce.jpg

d28l2m8t19tr.jpg

If anyone out there does try the '17 M2 weight, definitely snap a picture for everyone to see the fit!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn FAIL, used mizuno tool and chewed up the thread on the standard weight. Felt like weight for glued on by the factory, so hard to take out. Going to be hard to take out now, might need a special tool with three prongs to attach to the weight.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

> @icandy said:

> Volf golf weight for 17 M2 looks like smaller bolt length. le5f9ldegosg8.jpg

>

>

It seems the trend with these weights is to make them out of steel up to around 8-10g at which point they start to get quite long, and then switch over to tungsten for 10-20g which start out very short again. The weights are always going to be different lengths based on weight, just be careful of the crossover point between steel and tungsten if you're looking for higher weight with shorter lengths.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

> @icandy said:

> **** FAIL, used mizuno tool and chewed up the thread on the standard weight. Felt like weight for glued on by the factory, so hard to take out. Going to be hard to take out now, might need a special tool with three prongs to attach to the weight.

You have to use heat. Attempting to crank it out as-is guarantees that you’ll damage the hex.

> @icandy said:

> Volf golf weight for 17 M2 looks like smaller bolt length. le5f9ldegosg8.jpg

>

>

The thread lengths can be different depending on material (as mentioned in the previous post). You just have to verify that it won’t contact the crown from underneath, which I had mentioned in the first post.

> @Oknows said:

> Thanks for posting this. Did adding additional weight to that spot change flight at all?

Only changed the 3-wood after cutting 1/2” just to match the D3 of my driver. Can’t say I really noticed any difference since the Atmos TS Black launches higher for me than the Ping Tour shaft I had previously played. Purely a feel thing (and probably mostly in my mind), but I’m real happy with the clubs and their performance.

• Like 1

Awsome info. Will get my st190 head this week. Trying to find a shaft for it now. Have an evenflow blue on order. But trying to find a tensei pro blue or 3rd or 4th gen blueboard for it. Did well with the stick atmos blue when I demoed it. But just to loose for me.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

So had an issue getting my weight out of my 3TS head. I had the club fitted to play at 42.5" so light on the SW scale and needed to add the ole M4 weight trick. I heated her and stripped the stock weight with very little pressure. Then thanks to Mark at Center Cut Costume Golf, he extracted it with a special tool (notice the amount of locktite, probably for added SW) and then I installed my new M4 weight and it brought the SW up to D2 and doesn't hit the carbon crown. Perfection. Here are some of the pics.

ftn63x3a4jna.jpg

q671qmz1kcjt.jpg

31x55omdl7mj.jpg

> @icandy said:

> So you had to use a drill to get the weight out? I gave up using the hand tool.

It's an extractor bit. Not a drill bit. Assuming he stripped out the torx bit because of all the loctite. The extractor bit digs deeper into the stripped out section the more its turned counter clockwise. Allowing the bit to bite hard and turn the weight.

• Like 1

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

> @icandy said:

> So you had to use a drill to get the weight out? I gave up using the hand tool.

My club builder used the extractor bit to get the stripped weight out. Hindsight, if I would have used enough heat to loosen up the locktite media, I could have used the hand tool and no issues would have occurred. I just didn’t have any reference of how much of that locktite was used on the stock set up. Now that she has the M4 weight and no more lead tape/stripped stock weight the club just feels at address so much better lol

eap89we4n1ox.jpg

Gonna try your method when I shaft this up. Gonna play 44.5" original v2 76 stiff.

9.5 st190

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

Bumping this up again since I ended up cutting 1/2" off my driver (like the 3-wood) and needed to add weight to the head to get the D3 swing weight back. First, I got my hands on a '17 M2 weight, and it turns out they **don't** fit - but it's close. That one is only about 0.5mm too large, so it could be turned down a hair easily with a dremel or belt sander for anyone so inclined.

Since I had another one of the Jetspeed weights handy that was perfect, in it went - but with the original Mizuno trim ring. Still came out nice even though the O.D. of the new weight doesn't quite fill the gap as much, but you have to get close to see it. The head is 198g now and a D3 again.

kad6tby6dxrc.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update on that Hammer! I was going to go with the 17' M2 weights so its good to know they'll need a little work to fit.

Bridgestone 

Got mine back yesterday. Dont have a swingweight scale. But used the balance point measurement from the butt and total club weight to estimate a d3.5 at 44.5" playing length. That's with a 76gr shaft. Not sure what it's going to be with the tensei blue pro I got for it.

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

Decided to get motivated today and see what it would take to make the M2 weight fit in the driver head. Turns out it wasn't much, and was surprisingly easy to get a real clean look. I had a 10g weight and turned it down slightly on a belt sander. It only takes about 1/4 - 1/2mm in diameter reduction and it probably won't be perfectly round, but that will be tough to see unless you look real close (easy to tweak with a file as well). I also beveled the back edge slightly to ensure it sat as low as possible.

Came out nice and most likely wouldn't even be noticed by most as an aftermarket weight. It sticks up a hair, but it's almost insignificant. For anyone going this route, definitely be sure to test fit it a few times before tightening it down!

c6b9pz1pp4b0.jpg

hai2b7a8g3dh.jpg

ax6b6wuancw3.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good hammer! Nice work big guy