Need help deciding on irons

johnnybogey

Had a fitting at Club Champion a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to bring my irons with me (PXG Gen1 0311 with Recoil 95 Prototype)

The new Callaway Apex irons with Oban CT100 were the best fit for me.

Not sure if I want to drop that kind of money on a new set. Thinking maybe buy some Oban CT100 shafts, install into the PXG irons, adjust the loft to match the Callaway Apex irons.

Any thoughts on that route? I do like the PXG irons for its forgiveness. Had no issues hitting the Apex irons but nice to have some forgiveness when the swing isn’t 100% on.

Another part of me wants to just buy the Callaway Apex irons with Oban CT100 shafts and be done with ever wondering what’s best for my swing (save money in the long run! ?)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @gpleonard said:

> Apex are great irons when your swing is on. Accurate and consistent. I have a set and do like them very much. That said I play Srixon Z 585 irons as they are a little more forgiving and long and straight. You will be very happy with the Apex CF19 irons I really believe.

Thanks gpleonard.

I’ve gamed both the original and cf16 irons in the past. Was really surprised the Maltby Playability rating was so low compared to the PXG irons.

Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

> @mxskier said:

> Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

First thing I did after my fitting was search golfwrx for Oban steel. Like you, could not believe how many got put into Oban steel at club champion. But tbh, they gave me best results and they felt incredible.

Kinda leaning toward buying the recommended setup as I just don’t want to continue tinkering. Lol.

As you can see from my profile, I went ahead and drank the kool-aid. Pro tip... they're going to offer to pure the Oban's. I said ok. I then read that they have something like 99.3% consistency, and that there is no reason to pure them. So save that money.

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @mxskier said:

> > Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

>

> First thing I did after my fitting was search golfwrx for Oban steel. Like you, could not believe how many got put into Oban steel at club champion. But tbh, they gave me best results and they felt incredible.

>

> Kinda leaning toward buying the recommended setup as I just don’t want to continue tinkering. Lol.

>

>

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

> @mxskier said:

> As you can see from my profile, I went ahead and drank the kool-aid. Pro tip... they're going to offer to pure the Oban's. I said ok. I then read that they have something like 99.3% consistency, and that there is no reason to pure them. So save that money.

> > @johnnybogey said:

> > > @mxskier said:

> > > Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

> >

> > First thing I did after my fitting was search golfwrx for Oban steel. Like you, could not believe how many got put into Oban steel at club champion. But tbh, they gave me best results and they felt incredible.

> >

> > Kinda leaning toward buying the recommended setup as I just don’t want to continue tinkering. Lol.

> >

> >

>

Ah, thanks for the tip.

I think I'm going to buy separately and shaft them myself as I have all the tools.

So far, cheapest I found for Apex irons (5-AW) was about $1k. The Oban shafts my goodness are expensive. Cheapest I found (mind you not many sellers around) was $65 per shaft.

So... only chiming in on the CC aspect. Had 16 Apex Pros. Tried the 19 Apex Pros so went to CC to test other shaftrs. CC pushed them hard but I did not care as I liked the new PROS right away. They did push the OBAN shafts very hard though ?? I told them I was only doing the fitting to think about it as I was very happy with current set. Ended up doing the trade in with Callaway so helped alot on price and I went with the shaft that was "second" (cough cough) at CC which is KBS Tour's. ** I was fit in KBS tour by Cally in my 16 Pros by the way...

Fastfoward... friend goes to same CC, they push the Cally Blades (he had Titleist MB's). You can guess what shaft was pushed. He drank the coolaid and he paid for the Oban's. Roughly 4 months later he gave up on them, sold them and took a bath. All he said was what was seen in CC was NOT what he saw on the course ever. Went back to Titleist blades.

I am 4 Hdcp... he is around the same, or a bit better.

Hate to say it but it really does seem CC pushes hard the Cally / Oban combo...............

I just went through a fitting. I am a 15 hcp cause I ha ent played in a while(shoulder injury) however I normally play to a 10-12. I really liked the Srixon 785 and Ping I210. I went with turning for couple reasons. 1. Cause Price. I was fitted into a kbs tour so no upcharge, 2. The forgivness is perfect for what I'm looking for, 3. Feel was u real for a cast club a d 4, durability much better than a forged. You can't go wrong with the ping I210 if I s

Yeah. I have ctapers. All fit at CC. One buddy got Obans. Other dynamic golds. Other nippon. Maybe a bad shop? Maybe go hit again and compare the numbers again? I feel like CC is hit or miss. My guy moved to a new shop and the folks left behind are knumbskulls. I wouldn't let them fit a grip for me. It's a longer drive now, but once you find a fitter you like....stick with them.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

It would be really annoying to be hard sold by a fitter, whether shaft or head.

He understands it’s “sales”...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @gpleonard said:

> > Apex are great irons when your swing is on. Accurate and consistent. I have a set and do like them very much. That said I play Srixon Z 585 irons as they are a little more forgiving and long and straight. You will be very happy with the Apex CF19 irons I really believe.

>

> Thanks gpleonard.

>

> I’ve gamed both the original and cf16 irons in the past. Was really surprised the Maltby Playability rating was so low compared to the PXG irons.

>

>

The MPF has been bantered around for years and don't want to respond to your post with a boring MPF rehash but will simply say it has it's place but I think certain numbers in it's equation are more relevant than the total score. Having owned 40+ iron sets including the original Apex and 545s and now the Apex 19 (5-aw, PX Lz 5.5) I think the total MPF on them isn't very indicative of their overall forgiveness. With a left hip up for replacement my game sure isn't terrific but the Apex seem about as forgiving as iron come. A crappy shot is a crappy shot and no iron will correct that to any great extent. Only took me those 40+ sets,40 years playing,and thousands upon thousands of dollars to figure that out,LOL.

> @TN4431 said:

> When I went, CC really pushed the apex as “the head they have had the most success with”. Also, really recommended the epic flash with ventus for me.

>

> > @Shakester said:

> > Seems like Club Champion pushes the Callaway Apex. Three of my buddies all went to CC and all came out with the same result, Callaway Apex.

>

>

My buddy walked away with an Epic Flash as well. I wonder if thats where their best margins are, with Callaway, or are the Apex and Epic Flash just that much more superior?

> @mxskier said:

> Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

He didn't even bring his current clubs with him. I don't see how it's even a decision if you didn't hit your own clubs in the fitting. Unless you are scratch, you will generally produce slightly different numbers day to day. I'd bring your clubs in for a second fit.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mxskier said:

> > Oban shafts are the real deal. (Though it does seem interesting that so many people who get fit at CC are fit into them... but I digress). Ask yourself, what is more likely: for you to be comfortable with the PXG with the Oban, or just continual tinkering until you finally settle on what you were fit for?

>

> He didn't even bring his current clubs with him. I don't see how it's even a decision if you didn't hit your own clubs in the fitting. Unless you are scratch, you will generally produce slightly different numbers day to day. I'd bring your clubs in for a second fit.

Yea, still kicking myself for not bringing my clubs. Although, I did hit the apex with recoil 95 prototype (shaft I have in my PXG's) and the Oban still gave better numbers.

I got fit at CC for Apex, also. And the fitter flat out said he’s selling more Apex than anything else. It definitely had the fastest numbers on the Trackman for me, so it’s likely that people looking for distance will get fit into it. I didn’t feel like he was trying to sell it any more than anything else. Just gave me the best numbers and I also liked the shorter blade length and was hitting it more solid.

Oban shaft was one of the first he had me try but it wasn’t for me.

I didn’t buy the clubs from CC but I did get a set of Apex 19s and I’m really impressed with them so far.