2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I think I could break 200 at Bethpage Black

ghoul31

Lets get real here.

According to the rating/slope, Someone who shoots 200 at Bethpage Black from the blue tees registers as an 85.7 index. A 20-handicap will shoot to his index with a 107. Basically averaging a 6 on every hole. I think most 20-caps can manage taking 3-4 shots to get it on the green, then two-putting. Even Bethpage has a handful of holes that aren't monsters, and one of the par 3's is relatively short (150?).

I understand what Perez is trying to say, but its absurd to say a 20-cap wouldnt break 200 at Bethpage, where there is no water (other than one hole) and not a ton of forced carries off the tees. There is some forced carries going into greens, but you simply lay up to the point where you can hit a shot into the green. A 20-cap probably isnt going to hit more than a couple GIR from the blues, but they'd still break 200 easily. Would probably score closer to 100 than 200.

> @bigmoneyp said:

> If I had to bet money on it I'd take over 200. I'm assuming the following:

> 1. Course is played with strict rules of golf.

> 2. The 20HC is legit and not a sandbagger.

> 3. Course is playing PGA tour length and conditioning.

> 4. Player has to play in the wind/cold/rain that was present during this tournament.

> 5. Player has to deal with a PGA crowd and hecklers that come with it.

>

> I think #5 would have a major impact.

As far I know, it only rained on Friday, and when it did, it was just a very gentle rain and it only lasted about 2 hours total. Had absolutely no effect on the morning tee times. It was actually really nice out, I had to take my jacket off, it was around 70 degrees, minimal wind.

Sunday got windy, but I don't think the winds got too crazy on any of the other days.

not sure about beth page, but i know what i will mention could be an issue elsewhere.

i course marshalled a senior women's event recently where, if someone hadn't mentioned (10 minutes before the first players went out) that there need to be drop zones beyond some of the big forced carries. otherwise, i'd say 70% of the field would still be out there months later.. this was an supposed elite senior womens tourney but i wasn't really. (also had to break up fight between 2 93 year-olds but that's a different story.\

i just wonder about forced carries off the tees from the blacks at many elite courses...... i know a course in palm springs where one hole is 270 (at least) to get the ball in play. can't remember if whatever is between is remotely playable.

Does the 20 handicap golfer get to use a caddie and play a practice round before the round with PGA Championship conditions? :D

I am pretty sure a 20 handicap can break 200.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Deep thoughts....by Pat Perez.....

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The thing is 200 is just a ridiculous amount of shots. I play with 16-17 handicaps a lot. Many can make basic contact with the ball, like theres gonna be holes where they make "easy" doubles or triples even on a course like Bethpage, it just takes a couple of not horrible shots

If you just keep it to triple or quad on like 7-8 of the holes, you could average something like 14 on the balance. It's so many shots that if you make a couple of bogeys the math becomes almost impossible to NOT break 200

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @bigmoneyp said:

> If I had to bet money on it I'd take over 200. I'm assuming the following:

> 1. Course is played with strict rules of golf.

> 2. The 20HC is legit and not a sandbagger.

> 3. Course is playing PGA tour length and conditioning.

> 4. Player has to play in the wind/cold/rain that was present during this tournament.

> 5. Player has to deal with a PGA crowd and hecklers that come with it.

>

> I think #5 would have a major impact.

By “ deal with the crowd “ do you mean less than lethal rounds in the shotgun ? Or at least a good paintball gun with caddie carrying amo?

Nobody going to put up with that crap without millions of dolleros coming their way.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @JaNelson38 said:

> Lets get real here.

>

> According to the rating/slope, Someone who shoots 200 at Bethpage Black from the blue tees registers as an 85.7 index. A 20-handicap will shoot to his index with a 107. Basically averaging a 6 on every hole. I think most 20-caps can manage taking 3-4 shots to get it on the green, then two-putting. Even Bethpage has a handful of holes that aren't monsters, and one of the par 3's is relatively short (150?).

>

> I understand what Perez is trying to say, but its absurd to say a 20-cap wouldnt break 200 at Bethpage, where there is no water (other than one hole) and not a ton of forced carries off the tees. There is some forced carries going into greens, but you simply lay up to the point where you can hit a shot into the green. A 20-cap probably isnt going to hit more than a couple GIR from the blues, but they'd still break 200 easily. Would probably score closer to 100 than 200.

I mean. Yea. You can use facts and math if you want. Lol. But hey. 200 sounds good. Lmao!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @bigmoneyp said:

> > If I had to bet money on it I'd take over 200. I'm assuming the following:

> > 1. Course is played with strict rules of golf.

> > 2. The 20HC is legit and not a sandbagger.

> > 3. Course is playing PGA tour length and conditioning.

> > 4. Player has to play in the wind/cold/rain that was present during this tournament.

> > 5. Player has to deal with a PGA crowd and hecklers that come with it.

> >

> > I think #5 would have a major impact.

>

> By “ deal with the crowd “ do you mean less than lethal rounds in the shotgun ? Or at least a good paintball gun with caddie carrying amo?

>

> Nobody going to put up with that crap without millions of dolleros coming their way.

I just mean that its a lot harder to play golf with a couple thousand people watching you. I've seen players that I know are pretty solid fold when a gallery appears..

> @bigmoneyp said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @bigmoneyp said:

> > > If I had to bet money on it I'd take over 200. I'm assuming the following:

> > > 1. Course is played with strict rules of golf.

> > > 2. The 20HC is legit and not a sandbagger.

> > > 3. Course is playing PGA tour length and conditioning.

> > > 4. Player has to play in the wind/cold/rain that was present during this tournament.

> > > 5. Player has to deal with a PGA crowd and hecklers that come with it.

> > >

> > > I think #5 would have a major impact.

> >

> > By “ deal with the crowd “ do you mean less than lethal rounds in the shotgun ? Or at least a good paintball gun with caddie carrying amo?

> >

> > Nobody going to put up with that crap without millions of dolleros coming their way.

>

> I just mean that its a lot harder to play golf with a couple thousand people watching you. I've seen players that I know are pretty solid fold when a gallery appears..

Fair enough. True. I know 1 in particular that doesn’t even want his group to watch him play. Lol.

And no it’s not me. I wave to imaginary crowds all the time !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A legit 20 handicap would easily shoot under 200.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> We have a PERFECT example coming up!! Parfield and Hendrix are posting the Bethpage Black course vlog on YT now. They are of course playing match play, but I am going to keep track of their strokes. Allegedly both play off scratch?? So far, Parfield is +2 and Dan +3 after 3 holes. Keep in mind they also aren't playing off the back tees and are playing the course probably in the 6500 yard range so I'd guess a rating around 74.

>

> Neither even has a glimmer of hope of breaking 80 though, I'm thinking they shoot around 90-95. From the black tees they probably shoot 100-105. Broadie Smith I think recently shot 84 from the very back tees with a "foot in the rough" and I wager he's between a 0-4 HC now as he's reported scores at or even slightly under par during tourney and pro am's. Even if the rough wasn't as long... Even the greens weren't a 14 stimp...that's still a pretty good score from the back tees.

>

> I actually just watched a Bethpage Black vlog where 4 guys played match, one of them was not a good player. I'm talking like pretty much a total hack, well over a 20HC I would guess... He shot +69 from the whites. Even if moving to the back tees adds 3 strokes a hole, he still breaks 200.

>

> This brings up a good but totally unrelated topic: When Crossfield shoots 20 over on a course rating of ~74, does that mean good coaches don't actually have to be good golfers? Can you understand golf (or any subject) well and teach it well, but not be all that great at execution? Certainly the opposite can be true. However, I'm not sure I'd take math lessons from somebody who can't add very well, or let somebody fix my car who can't use a torque wrench properly.

Well for Crossfield if you pay attention he actually has been doing some swing changes and it's messed up his game. He's normally a scratch level golfer. Also, the coaches are not better than the pro's they teach, so yes even at the highest level coaches understand and can spot things that the best golfers in the world can't. Mark is a pretty good coach from how he spots things and his great understanding of how a golf swing works. And he actually does use the tools properly.

Brodie is a very talented athlete (Crossfield is not even close to same level) and hits it a mile. Their foot in the rough thing was silly, but length doesn't affect him as much since he's a bomber. It's scary how good he is already after such a short period of time, and once he gets his swing better, I think he might even be able to contend with some top amateurs once he gets his short game tightened up.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Good mornin from the Black!f0ek8h2fn75k.jpg

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Even thru 3...par, birdie, bogey...

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Ferguson said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Pat Perez has been known to say things that have proven to be false. He point blank predicted Tiger was to retire soon. So anything he says next is just noises coming from the hole he eats from. 200 shots ? My goodness. That’s 11 shots per hole. Can he math ?

>

> Pat once accused a bowl of fruit of being lazy.

>

>

Well, he is right about that.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

jzvdty3okq2f.jpg

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @bigmoneyp said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > Good mornin from the Black!f0ek8h2fn75k.jpg

> >

>

> Nice pic! Looks like all the rough is hacked down?

Only waaaaay out of the way. Finished with a solid 74, hitting from the back of every box, birdied 18. 38/36, 7/14 firs, 11 girs, 30 putts, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys and a double. c1voqg0q1qju.jpg

4t09nqtzgj41.jpg

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @bigmoneyp said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > Good mornin from the Black!f0ek8h2fn75k.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Nice pic! Looks like all the rough is hacked down?

>

> Only waaaaay out of the way. Finished with a solid 74, hitting from the back of every box, birdied 18. 38/36, 7/14 firs, 11 girs, 30 putts, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys and a double. c1voqg0q1qju.jpg

> 4t09nqtzgj41.jpg

>

Well done, Gio!! Looks like a beautiful day. Probably nice getting to play it without NY'ers screaming all kinds of obscenities in your backswing!

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @bigmoneyp said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > Good mornin from the Black!f0ek8h2fn75k.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nice pic! Looks like all the rough is hacked down?

> >

> > Only waaaaay out of the way. Finished with a solid 74, hitting from the back of every box, birdied 18. 38/36, 7/14 firs, 11 girs, 30 putts, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys and a double. c1voqg0q1qju.jpg

> > 4t09nqtzgj41.jpg

> >

>

> Well done, Gio!! Looks like a beautiful day. Probably nice getting to play it without NY'ers screaming all kinds of obscenities in your backswing!

we had a blast !!!... till the groundskeeper was on a power trip. long story but, the guy was a grade a...ace.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Here is another idiot who is up his own arse. Marty Jertsen.

**_"you put a 5-handicapper out there, no joke I think they would shoot – if they followed the textbook rules – they would shoot 120 or more"_**

All these douchebags with these claims about what so and so handicaps would shoot FFS.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/05/22/equipment-q-and-a-ping-designer-marty-jertson-pga-championship-bethpage-black.html

> @challengers said:

> Here is another idiot who is up his own ****. Marty Jertsen.

> **_"you put a 5-handicapper out there, no joke I think they would shoot – if they followed the textbook rules – they would shoot 120 or more"_**

> All these douchebags with these claims about what so and so handicaps would shoot FFS.

> https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/05/22/equipment-q-and-a-ping-designer-marty-jertson-pga-championship-bethpage-black.html

The thing is they literally did this at Bethpage already in the old golf digest challenge or whatever it was called. Pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger shot an 86 and Michael Jordan also in the 80's. This was at Bethpage in US open conditions

Jordan called himself a scratch but was more like a 3-5 according to basically everyone. And I think big Ben was around that too

120 LoL...

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @challengers said:

> > Here is another idiot who is up his own ****. Marty Jertsen.

> > **_"you put a 5-handicapper out there, no joke I think they would shoot – if they followed the textbook rules – they would shoot 120 or more"_**

> > All these douchebags with these claims about what so and so handicaps would shoot FFS.

> > https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/05/22/equipment-q-and-a-ping-designer-marty-jertson-pga-championship-bethpage-black.html

>

> The thing is they literally did this at Bethpage already in the old golf digest challenge or whatever it was called. Pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger shot an 86 and Michael Jordan also in the 80's. This was at Bethpage in US open conditions

>

> Jordan called himself a scratch but was more like a 3-5 according to basically everyone. And I think big Ben was around that too

>

> 120 LoL...

Thanks for that! I was not aware of this. Here is the score card:

041eqearl3n9.jpg

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usopen_challenge_weinman_0612

Shot 81 from the back tees back when you had to sleep over to get on it...way before it was put back in the rotation for PGA events. It was a dump, typical state course. Poor condition, tees were a mess...

I remember hitting a lot of long iron and woods into par 4's, lotsa blind shots. But the greens were really big, I had a decent day putting.

We had a "4" handicap in our group that shot 77, he lost a few balls that cost him.

I live 20mins away from BP, would rather play course farther out east..