The Guardian on John Daly’s cart

Prut

Interesting take. I like this:

“The idea that Daly could debase it by using a buggy is fairly adorable. Golf does that itself. The powers that be in the game debase it more than any player ever possibly could. The absolute worst thing about golf is the people in charge of it, from club level to tour level to the R&A, and the notion that it would be desirable to hear any more from them about their interminable regulations, ever, is absurd.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/22/john-dalys-buggy-gives-us-a-joyride-in-front-of-po-faced-golf-authorities

Seems the game requires you to walk and swing your club if you can't do both than perhaps you should compete in an adapted version of competition.

If I wanted to compete in the winter Olympics in biathalon and I could shoot, but I wasn't physically able to complete the ski would they allow me a snowmobile?

I think the courts screwed this up with Casey Martin and now Big John is taking advantage.

Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

• Like 1

> @Steele47 said:

> > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

>

> You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

I doubt the ADA covers JD in Ireland.

> @grm24 said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > > Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

> >

> > You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

>

> I doubt the ADA covers JD in Ireland.

Ya think?... Wrote that with what I thought was obvious sarcasm..

> @Steele47 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > > > Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

> > >

> > > You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

> >

> > I doubt the ADA covers JD in Ireland.

>

> Ya think?... Wrote that with what I thought was obvious sarcasm..

Guess you missed by obvious sarcasm as well. Next time I'll drop a **/s** after my post so there is no confusion. :)

> @Steele47 said:

> > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

>

> You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

Yes.

Litigation myth #8 - In order to be successful a lawsuit must have merit.

False!

[http://nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/green-fazio-i/2860967](https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/green-fazio-i/2860967 "https://nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/green-fazio-i/2860967")

Do you think his lawsuit had merit when he sued a tour sponsor because a woman took a photo in his backswing? The guy is a scumbag.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> Oh my, that article might trigger folks. They'll be quick to insult The Guardian.

Interesting pre-emptive tactic, if one has any problems with it they are either triggered or have an issue with that publication therefore no criticism is acceptable.

• Like 1
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

This article is pure drivel. It's not even the issue at hand, but the writing is pathetic. There's really not a single genuine logical thought expressed in the whole article.

• Like 3

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Seems there eventually has to be some resolution. I would argue that the Supreme Court got this one wrong, and eventually it will have to be challenged again as far as the PGA Tour goes. As for the R&A and the Open Championship seems they have the chance to go ahead and dictate that walking is part of their terms of competition.

The daily dose of weird angst bickering is very present in this thread. Truly don't get the point, but day-by-day my interests get further and further away from the direction this forum is headed.

How can they argue against carts when many on the Champions tour use them regularly

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Clearly, she is entitled to her opinion. I happen to disagree with it and I'm not a huge fan of the writing style. Thankfully, I don't buy or generally tend to read the Guardian.

> @grm24 said:

> Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

I think when it comes to any major if anyone were to ask for the use of a cart it would be an issue. These are the pinnacle events for the sport. If you aren't able to get yourself round the course, you shouldn't be there.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

The article was trash, except for this quote:

> The Guardian said:

> I guess each man has his appetites to master, so it did make me wonder if Woods ever had sex with any of his cocktail waitresses with a broken leg. If so: well done, champ. You’re a real hero.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @grm24 said:

> Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

Have to disagree with you. Casey Martin caused quite the stir with his initial cart lawsuit and he wasn’t a known entity beforehand.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

The irony of that article is that the writer comes across as a pretentious self-absorbed opinionated snob.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Philomathesq said:

> The article was trash, except for this quote:

>

> > The Guardian said:

> > I guess each man has his appetites to master, so it did make me wonder if Woods ever had **** with any of his cocktail waitresses with a broken leg. If so: well done, champ. You’re a real hero.

>

>

Yes, I thought that was special as well.

The full quote:

"Alas, the decision was frowned upon by various bores, including Tiger Woods, who sniffed: “I walked with a broken leg …” Which, for me, served as one of those bi-weekly reminders of how it’s possible to love Woods and absolutely hate pretty much everything about him. I guess each man has his appetites to master, so it did make me wonder if Woods ever had sex with any of his cocktail waitresses with a broken leg. If so: well done, champ. You’re a real hero."

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @rafal said:

> This article is pure drivel. It's not even the issue at hand, but the writing is pathetic. There's really not a single genuine logical thought expressed in the whole article.

I thought the article was quite funny:

"The most deadly perception problem that golf has – still – is not that out-of-shape people can win at it, but that it’s rules obsessed, elitist and would do anything it could not to share itself with people who look like you. Hey, I’m not saying you look like Daly – but I bet you look like you might like a pint with him. And that, as far as the disapproving bores in charge of a game they don’t actually own are concerned, is the thin end of the wedge.

Still, what a wedge! I imagine it starts with “just one pint”, then ends 72 hours later in Rio, with no idea how you got there, playing tee shots off the arms of Christ the Redeemer."

I don't think that the article was really about John Daly; I think the article was directed at the people who run golf taking themselves so seriously. Like most of you.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Prut said:

> Interesting take. I like this:

> “The idea that Daly could debase it by using a buggy is fairly adorable. Golf does that itself. The powers that be in the game debase it more than any player ever possibly could. The absolute worst thing about golf is the people in charge of it, from club level to tour level to the R&A, and the notion that it would be desirable to hear any more from them about their interminable regulations, ever, is absurd.”

>

>

> https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/22/john-dalys-buggy-gives-us-a-joyride-in-front-of-po-faced-golf-authorities

Well, there's this class system in UK that well some don't like including writers for the left wing Guardian like Marina , who luv to tweak the beaks of the ol boy snooty RAF commanders running the R&A, and the blazer clad Ridleys of Augusta, well you can see where this article is going. I think in the UK they really like Daly like eccentrics, who march out of step to the tune of the retired CEO's and Lord Plushbottoms. I luv the term buggy for golf cart, gonna start using it myself !! Thought she might use pram though given her disdain for a thoroughly bourgeois sport. Hhhmmm.

> @mocokid said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > In 2021, JD gonna celebrate the 150th Open and his 1995 win at St Andrews by

> >

> > Cruisin over the Swilcan bridge in a cart suckin down a Bud tallboy

> >

> >

> > f3eapcbc4z25.png

> >

> >

>

> Imagine what went into the ol claret judge for 12 months starting Jul 1995, let your imagination run wild !!!

According to JD, ice cream.

> @dlygrisse said:

> The irony of that article is that the writer comes across as a pretentious self-absorbed opinionated snob.

I believe that is a prerequisite if you want to write for the Guardian.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

It's a typical Guardian column - open the kitchen drawer and start tossing knives in the expectation/hope that someone will eventually have to duck.

As part of the recipe, patch in two bizarre, irrelevant paragraphs detailing Daly's tacky flea market in Augusta - where Daly last competed in 2006. Exactly what that has to do with a) Daly's physical state and b) a tournament other than The Masters and one where he is, in fact, entered is unclear.

It ends in typical Guardian fashion - the writer, having utterly failed to support her thesis, resorts to a fatuous generalization of '[G]ive him his buggy. God knows we’ll all need one in the end.'

• Like 2

Can we please stop using the Champions Tour as an example of a Tour that allows Carts? It’s also has 3 round tournaments, no cuts, and therefore no WR points.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

> @dlygrisse said:

> The irony of that article is that the writer comes across as a pretentious self-absorbed opinionated snob.

Perhaps, but I'd date her.

She likes to use irony to poke fun at this crazy world. She wrote a book, "How Entertainers Took Over the World, and Why We Need an Exit Strategy."

> @"Matt J" said:

> Seems the game requires you to walk and swing your club if you can't do both than perhaps you should compete in an adapted version of competition.

>

> If I wanted to compete in the winter Olympics in biathalon and I could shoot, but I wasn't physically able to complete the ski would they allow me a snowmobile?

>

> I think the courts screwed this up with Casey Martin and now Big John is taking advantage.

If you have to pull out of competition for a sore back or a sore wrist I see this as no different. Come back and play next time when your leg/knee/ankle is healed.