You Should Be On Tour!

BuzzCat

Have you ever played with someone who said this to you? Happened to me last night. It's happened a few times in my life. Sometimes it's tongue-in-cheek, sometimes it's not. I've never seen someone so impressed with a 245yd thinned driver...at least it was down the middle. I always get a kick out of it when this happens. I tell them they're crazy and that they simply have no idea how good even a scratch player is compared to me.

FYI - This is in no way a humble-brag. I shot a 38 (+2) on 9 and hit what I thought were some pretty squirrely shots...missed a couple shorties too.

Anway, I'd love to hear some stories of when someone thought you were a golfing god!

yes. i've had this happen quite often

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

No tour comments coming my way but just last weekend one of my buds intros me to a new guy in our group and says "this guy (me) will kill us today" and I then proceed to chunk my 4i off the opening tee and generally play pretty bad for the front 9.

The only tour possibly coming my way is that of a local winery.

• Like 2

Yep. It’s amazing when you occasionally get paired with a 30 handicap or whatever and you shoot 82 but they are wondering when you are going to quit your job and try to make the tour. It just goes to show you how clueless even mildly avid golfers can be sometimes. There’s 70 yards between my drive and theirs, but also probably 50 - 70 between Koepka’s and mine. I guess to them I look like Brooks Koepka ?

I don't think they thought I was tour caliber, but 3 guys I got teamed up with for a company scramble couldn't believe I wasn't my club's reigning champ. One guy didn't own a set of clubs, so he brought his girlfriends. Another only played a few times a year, with his drinking buddies. The last guy hadn't played for 5 years or so, and had hip replacement surgery scheduled within the next week or so.

Let's just say I didn't have to do a whole lot to impress them.

• Like 1

I have never had anyone say that but they have commented they can't believe I'm an 18 HC (as in it should be lower) after I look competent and string 3 PARs together. Then my true colors come out and and they are like, "Oh... OK, I get it now".

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Used to get it all the time in my 20's and 30's. "Did you ever consider trying for the Tour?" Somehow a 72 was mind blowing. It's the level of golf that many guys are used to seeing

My stock answer was always, "nope I maxed out as a pretty good college player. A tour caliber guy would shoot 65 here without breaking a sweat"

And my favorite "have you ever tried Long Drive?" When you can actually hit it 300 and older guys bunt it 210 (thinking its 250), they tend to think you are a Jason Z or Jamie S

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I've actually had someone say the exact opposite to me. Went golfing with a group of people from work years ago and afterwards one of the guys said that they thought I should have golfed better for how much I play. I actually didn't really have a bad round but I couldn't have agreed with him more.

• Like 1

"There are probably some things I could do to keep my flexibility up, but I'd rather smoke, drink diet Cokes and eat." - John Daly

Cobra Fly Z+ Matrix Ozik White Tie
Cobra Fly Z+ 4/5 UST ProForce V2 Black 
Ping Anser 20* Matrix Ozik Altus
Ping Anser 23* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-GW True Temper XP 105
Cobra Tour Trusty 54* 58* KBS Tour Custom Series 
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Usually from 30+cap weekend warrior strangers. I sympathize with Tiger when he was talking about the guys at tournaments that yell "You da man!" just for getting the ball airborne.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The only tour anyone has ever told me to go on was a brewery tour.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Sometimes when I play as a single and play through another group, I'll hit one really close on a par 3, and they say something like "Wow, you must be like 5 under." I just say "Sure." with a smile and proceed to spray it around for my 78. haha

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5 Taylormade M4 16.5 Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58 Taylormade Spider S

Yeah it’s flattering to say the least.

Our club VP invited me to play The Old Course at Broken Sound with him and some members. One of whom was CEO of a big time company and he is a regular in the AT&T, extremely nice guy. We had a little game going and I played the tips shot 66 on course that I had never seen before, the a-ha moment if you will was when I drove 7th and made an 8 footer for an eagle two. He commented as we walked up the the par 3 8th if you’re my partner at the ATT we’ll win every year. We signed the card and he remarked, “66?!? What the f*** are you doing growing grass?”

Been friends to this day, he’s been nothing short of fantastic to me and my girlfriend. He tried to pull some strings a couple years ago and have me be his partner in the Seminole Pro Member but it just didn’t work out. We ended up playing the Jupiter Hills Pro Member and basically whatever else he wants haha.

• Like 1

> @BNGL said:

> Yeah it’s flattering to say the least.

> Our club VP invited me to play The Old Course at Broken Sound with him and some members. One of whom was CEO of a big time company and he is a regular in the AT&T, extremely nice guy. We had a little game going and I played the tips shot 66 on course that I had never seen before, the a-ha moment if you will was when I drove 7th and made an 8 footer for an eagle two. He commented as we walked up the the par 3 8th if you’re my partner at the ATT we’ll win every year. We signed the card and he remarked, “66?!? What the f*** are you doing growing grass?”

>

> Been friends to this day, he’s been nothing short of fantastic to me and my girlfriend. He tried to pull some strings a couple years ago and have me be his partner in the Seminole Pro Member but it just didn’t work out. We ended up playing the Jupiter Hills Pro Member and basically whatever else he wants haha.

I'll be your caddie. I'll get you firing at every single pin (no matter the situation) and playing little to no break on all putts (just aim for the hole and bang it). Just let me know when you're ready.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I get asked all the time if I used to play on the lpga. An awful lot of men think that any woman who can get the ball off the ground must have played professionally.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

It's rare to find a good golfer, I can say in the 32 years I've been playing, outside of competitive golf or my normal 4some, it's easily in the single digits with the amount of guys I've been paired with that shot in the 70's. It's rare so I guess when high handicap sees that, they probably think the guys good enough to play pro golf. A couple years back playing with my Dad, the pair we were playing with insisted that I was lying to them about who I was and I had to be on tour. I guess it's nice thinking somebody thinks my game is that good, but it also got a little old after dealing with it all round.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

No one has suggested I was pro or even college caliber, but as I play in a couple of leagues that have a lot of older guys they all think I'm "the big hitter." I've stopped trying to set them straight, but my average drive is 250-260 with an occasional 300 yard mistake. When I hit one in the 275+ range literally all of them "know" it was at least 300. Like others have suggested, if you have never seen a pro play in person you can easily be impressed by mediocrity.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask _"what are you...about a 5 handicap?"_

Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

Weird, I guess.

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

> I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

>

> I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

>

> Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask _"what are you...about a 5 handicap?"_

>

> Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

>

> Weird, I guess.

>

>

>

> RH

So if someone comes up to you while you’re under par and asks if you’re a 5 handicap do you then have to explain to them what it means to be a + ?

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @tenny352 said:

> I've actually had someone say the exact opposite to me. Went golfing with a group of people from work years ago and afterwards one of the guys said that they thought I should have golfed better for how much I play. I actually didn't really have a bad round but I couldn't have agreed with him more.

This happened to me a few months ago. I get the "where did you play in college" question here and there, but this one was not - and from a friend, no less! He asked me to play in a scramble in a couple of days when someone bailed. I said sure. He said "we're gonna win this thing, right?" Yeah, right. He was terrible (and knew it), his other friends were former weekend regulars who hadn't played in a few years due to kids.

I did the things the "A" player is supposed to do - hit it long, get on the green in regulations, get our putts close. I played pretty well, didn't hit any clankers and had a stretch where I went 4 under in 3 holes on my own ball. As a group, we did about what I expected we'd do. We shot -10. Winners shot -19. Got done and my friend says "you know, I expected more out of me today." I said "then I'm curious about your expectations." He just repeated "I expected more out of you" a few times until his friend says "what the hell did you expect? He played fine, we would have shot even without him. Did you see yourself play today?"

I'm not sure what this guy thinks a low handicapper is supposed to be. I think in his mind, he didn't see me hit a shot he didn't think he couldn't hit. Which might be true - I just happened to do it 50 more times that day than he did.

Once. A guy randomly played in our group and spent most of the back 9 trying to convince me I should give the PGA Tour a go. Told me I just needed to quit my job to practice more. He was a nice guy just had no clue. I joked with him a little about it at first but it got a bit tiresome. After shooting somewhere around 78 from the tips that day I told him I didn’t stand a chance. If I shot 65 or better every round I’d consider trying something. But I’d never broken 70 at that point so no chance.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]