Why Am I Turning The Ball Over With X100?

I recently bought an old set of Titleist DCI blacks, 2-PW. The set was originally advertised as Dynamic Gold S300, but when the clubs arrived I noticed that the 2 iron was X100 and mismatched in length (about 40"). I was initially a little disappointed, but I decided to cut it down to the proper length (39", based on my 5 iron at 37.5") and give it a try. The myth I've always heard was that if a shaft is too stiff, the club will not release and you end up coming off the ball; conversely, if a shaft is too flexible the shot will hook. I reckoned that if this is the case, I might want to have the X-flex 2 iron in my bag if I can always count on a fade when I need it.

I went to the local muni with the set and for the first short par 4, a dogleg right, I teed up the 2 iron, aimed down the middle and swung, hoping for the fade. To my surprise, and delight, the shot started right center, and drew about five yards, landing on the middle of the fairway and released and ran for a total of about 215 yards. Pretty damn good! Where was the fade? I thought it was a fluke swing, so I waited for the next short par 4 and used the 2 iron again. Same thing! Another slight draw, this time about maybe three yards.

What's going on here? I have been swinging S300's all my golfing life. My swing speed with the driver is no more than 100 mph. I generally hit the ball fairly straight, and if anything I will have a tendency to cut, and drawing the ball is a rare occurrence, though for now I'm thinking about switching to X100's, even though I am nowhere near as good as a pro.

how's the offset? swingweight compared to the other ones? lie?

variety of things go into it -

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

After you cut the inch off the 2-iron, did you add back any weight? Swing weight and total weight will have a lot more influence on your swing than shaft profile will. But with regards to that, X100s aren't just stiffer S300s, they are a different profile overall; much stiffer in the mid and softer at the very tip. Whether or not this is impacting your swing is hard to say, but its more likely the weight is causing your path to differ slightly if you normally hit a fade and all of the sudden are hitting a bit of a push draw.

Also the idea of shaft stiffness/profile having an absolute fade or draw tendency is really on accounting for how a robot would swing it, not a human. A shaft that is too stiff or too stout of a profile for the type of swing doesn't "not release", but rather does not release as much or in a way that lines up with the player's swing. If nothing is done to compensate then slices or blocks can occur, but since we usually compensate for things based on feel, the opposite can also occur. The same is true for the opposite scenario. There is what the shaft wants to do, and what we do in reaction to what that feels like, which can create all sorts of different results that are unfortunately not black and white based on what a shaft is supposed to do.

In terms of figuring out what is going on with your 2-iron, I would first check it's swing weight next to the other irons, then check loft and lie angle. If the shaft was that over length then there is also a chance that it was soft stepped, once maybe twice, and this would compound the difference between the S300 that you're used to and the now even softer tipped X100, which could have an impact as well.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

x100's. Everyone afraid of them. They are awesome

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Stiffness doesn't prevent a draw bias, in fact, if a shaft is too stiff you can start to pull and shut the face causing the ball to go way left. Too soft doesn't always make it go left as well, if it is too whippy it can lag behind causing you to hit block shots or slices. It's just about what the shaft does with your swing, and all swings are so unique that it is just a broad generalization of tendencies.

If you talk to True Temper, they are all about how you load and unload the shaft. Really has very little to do with swing speed or ability. If you like the ball flight, I would say the X100's are better suited for you.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @Socrates said:

> If you talk to True Temper, they are all about how you load and unload the shaft. Really has very little to do with swing speed or ability. If you like the ball flight, I would say the X100's are better suited for you.

CORRECT, its not about how fast we swing the club, but how we swing it, so a smooth swing player could play "what ever" he feels like, he dont force the shaft to handle a lot of power, while a aggressive swinger or "hitter type" might stress the shaft, even if he dont gain a lot of club speed, so the way we swing the clubs is what decides what fits us, and in that picture, FEEL is a important part of it.

DG X100 is NOT a monster shaft, but it can handle a monster player, so most of them who think its strong and stout before they tried it, would most likely be surprised of how easy they are to handle compared to what they thought it would be.

Dynamic has been around since the days of the Willys Jeep or WW2....what other products from those days is still to be found and wanted like this shafts are?

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Here are the specs according to Titleist's website. The lofts and lies are listed below, and I think they accurately reflect what I have. Thankfully, they were made with standard lengths (5 iron 37.5") then.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/dci-black

I swing-weighted the clubs and they come in a touch heavier, mostly around D2. However, the 2 iron swingweights just a touch over D2, maybe D2.25? Overall there seems to be nothing drastic compared to the other irons in the set.

The one predominant factor in the quality of my swing has been a shaft heavy enough to have good timing and tempo. I have always got on with anything 120 grams or heavier. My back up shaft has always been X100’s whether swinging fast or slow.

Swing what works, there are no absolutes only starting points, it’s a simple equation.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> Why, then, are we telling beginning golfers that they should start swinging regular shafts? Why not just start them on day one with X100's? Also, if shaft flex means so little, what would happen if a tour pro swings S300's or even R300's?

Very good point. I honestly would have become a good golfer alot quicker if someone had suggested that to me years ago... The golf world is obsessed with tying clubs/shafts to skill level when even high handicap golfers will benefit from x flex shafts or low spin heads depending on their swing dynamics.

• Like 1

Lots of Tour Pro's use S300's as do a lot use X100's and S400's

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> Why, then, are we telling beginning golfers that they should start swinging regular shafts? Why not just start them on day one with X100's? Also, if shaft flex means so little, what would happen if a tour pro swings S300's or even R300's?

• Like 1

> @EmperorPenguin said:

There are Pro's who use R shafts. I believe Furyk is one.

The old days before fitting was common was when the mantra was, beginners should use R's. Now you should experiment with a whole bunch of shafts and find what suits you. I play just fine with R flex shafts. I could easily play stiffer based on swing speed alone and most swing analyzers say I should, but my transition is smooth so I can play just fine with most R shafts. I also like shafts (irons) in the 80g range.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> Also, if shaft flex means so little, what would happen if a tour pro swings S300's or even R300's?

You could watch Rickie Fowler, Hideki Matsuysma, Brian Harmon, or Matt Kuchar to find out. ?

Shaft flex doesn't "mean so little", it's just that people fixate on it a little too much sometimes when things like weight and length should be considered first.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

> @EmperorPenguin said:

Feel of flex works as a "trigger" for how much power the player would put on that club. If feel of flex is strong he will use more power to make that shaft load and feel right, and if its to soft, he will slow down. Advanced club makers is using this trigger to get the players timing and swing into a path that works for him, so some of us would benefit form a "needle in the a.." to speed it up a little, others would benefit by a shaft who slows them down a bit. Feel of flex is very important, it makes a difference for how we swing the club.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> I recently bought an old set of Titleist DCI blacks, 2-PW. The set was originally advertised as Dynamic Gold S300, but when the clubs arrived I noticed that the 2 iron was X100 and mismatched in length (about 40"). I was initially a little disappointed, but I decided to cut it down to the proper length (39", based on my 5 iron at 37.5") and give it a try. The myth I've always heard was that if a shaft is too stiff, the club will not release and you end up coming off the ball; conversely, if a shaft is too flexible the shot will hook. I reckoned that if this is the case, I might want to have the X-flex 2 iron in my bag if I can always count on a fade when I need it.

>

> I went to the local muni with the set and for the first short par 4, a dogleg right, I teed up the 2 iron, aimed down the middle and swung, hoping for the fade. To my surprise, and delight, the shot started right center, and drew about five yards, landing on the middle of the fairway and released and ran for a total of about 215 yards. Pretty **** good! Where was the fade? I thought it was a fluke swing, so I waited for the next short par 4 and used the 2 iron again. Same thing! Another slight draw, this time about maybe three yards.

>

> What's going on here? I have been swinging S300's all my golfing life. My swing speed with the driver is no more than 100 mph. I generally hit the ball fairly straight, and if anything I will have a tendency to cut, and drawing the ball is a rare occurrence, though for now I'm thinking about switching to X100's, even though I am nowhere near as good as a pro.

Interesting for sure! I'm old school so I still believe that a shaft too flexible will have a slight closed face due to active shaft kicking forward before impact then of course, too stiff a shaft won't load and kick forward enough.

Handicap:  3

> @speeder757 said:

> Have the irons been soft stepped? A slightly weaker tip will help pull the ball left

I don't know if it is soft-stepped, but here are some measurements.

The distance from the tip of the hosel to the first step is 8.5" on the 5 iron.

The distance from the tip of the hosel to the first step is 7.75" on the 6 iron.

The distance from the tip of the hosel to the first step is a little under 9.5" on the 3 iron.

Finally, the distance from the tip of the hosel to the first step is a little more than 8.5" on the lovely X100 2 iron.

> @Krt22 said:

> Profile is as important as stated flex. How you react to the shaft loading can change how you deliver the club

There must be some merit to the premise that faster swings require stiffer shafts. I was a little surprised that some tour pros are using R300's, but to take this to an extreme: I don't think any of them are using the whippy, geezer-flex (A) shafts.

That's the thing, how you generate that speed dictates how the shaft loads. How you react to that feel absolutely can impact delivery. If you are very smooth/fluid you can likely get away with a lighter flex, where as if you are more aggressive you might need something more stout. I have an aggressive transition, when I sense the shaft loading hard I naturally react by trying to square the face and hook it off the planet, so soft butt/stiff tip shafts just dont work for me. Some players can naturally react better to whatever is in their hands as well. Look at Mark Crossfield, he hits every dang club he tries basically the same.

The myth of stiff equals fade and soft equals hook is nonsense. It’s all how you load and unload the club. For some it’s true and others a total opposite(my experience). However, what you’ve learned to play with is part of the loading and releasing of the club that you taught your body to do. Shafts that are too soft will torque or rotate open and the head will lag. This enables you to have a closed hand position and keep the face square. Put a shaft that’s stiffer in your hands and it doesn’t torque open and you don’t have the speed to lag the clubhead and that exact same hand position through impact results in a pull or nasty pull hook.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Shaft weight makes more of a difference with timing and face path than flex does, IMO.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Profile is as important as stated flex. How you react to the shaft loading can change how you deliver the club

> There must be some merit to the premise that faster swings require stiffer shafts. I was a little surprised that some tour pros are using R300's, but to take this to an extreme: I don't think any of them are using the whippy, geezer-flex (A) shafts.

Furyk uses KBS Tours at appr 5.6 flex not hugely stiff but not soft either

• Like 1

> @mogc60 said:

> The myth of stiff equals fade and soft equals hook is nonsense. It’s all how you load and unload the club. For some it’s true and others a total opposite(my experience). However, what you’ve learned to play with is part of the loading and releasing of the club that you taught your body to do. Shafts that are too soft will torque or rotate open and the head will lag. This enables you to have a closed hand position and keep the face square. Put a shaft that’s stiffer in your hands and it doesn’t torque open and you don’t have the speed to lag the clubhead and that exact same hand position through impact results in a pull or nasty pull hook.

The first bit is absolutely true and I agree, but the second bit is unfortunately one of those myths as well. No matter how soft the shaft is, the clubhead never "lags" or "torques open". There can be a sensation of lag during the loading portion of the swing but the clubhead always catches up and overtakes the shaft when approaching impact. This overtaking (called "lead deflection") adds loft and also a small amount of face closure as well. Lower launch, lower spin shafts deflect less, higher launch/spin shafts deflect more, but only if you have a swing that loads then the same. Many people react to what the shaft does and compensate, sometimes purely subconsciously, and largely negate the differences between shafts. No component of a shaft will actually open the face of a club however.

• Like 1

Bridgestone 

> @Valtiel said:

> > @mogc60 said:

> > The myth of stiff equals fade and soft equals hook is nonsense. It’s all how you load and unload the club. For some it’s true and others a total opposite(my experience). However, what you’ve learned to play with is part of the loading and releasing of the club that you taught your body to do. Shafts that are too soft will torque or rotate open and the head will lag. This enables you to have a closed hand position and keep the face square. Put a shaft that’s stiffer in your hands and it doesn’t torque open and you don’t have the speed to lag the clubhead and that exact same hand position through impact results in a pull or nasty pull hook.

>

> The first bit is absolutely true and I agree, **but the second bit is unfortunately one of those myths as well. No matter how soft the shaft is, the clubhead never "lags" or "torques open"**. There can be a sensation of lag during the loading portion of the swing but the clubhead always catches up and overtakes the shaft when approaching impact. This overtaking (called "lead deflection") adds loft and also a small amount of face closure as well. Lower launch, lower spin shafts deflect less, higher launch/spin shafts deflect more, but only if you have a swing that loads then the same. Many people react to what the shaft does and compensate, sometimes purely subconsciously, and largely negate the differences between shafts. No component of a shaft will actually open the face of a club however.

Agree!

Handicap:  3