Slope setting on Range finder got turned on by accident....

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > >@"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > > > > > > @Shakester said:

> > > > > > > > Remember the days when people walked off their yardages? As a society, we've become too dependent on technology and I'm probably as guilty of it than anyone. I'm not even sure why I even need a rangefinder since I'm pretty good with yardages and always have been just by the markers are the course. I've walked up to a par 3, saw the tee box was slightly back from the marker. Saw the flag was in the front and I just told everyone in the group that its about 150. A buddy comes and uses his rangefinder and scopes it at 148. Yet, what do I do, pick up my rangefinder and scope it myself to...148.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > When I first bought a GPS I was shocked at how many courses had markers that were off by a amount large enough to make a difference for me. I only trust their markings once I have determined they are accurate. Basically that leaves only courses that I am very familiar with. I have gone through some courses and its not until I get late in the round that I find a marker off significantly. It gets to the point it is just as fast and easier to trust the scope rather than the courses markings.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Are you quite sure your GPS gives you exact yardages? I have had several GPS devices and none of them has been even satisfactory due to various reasons including poor calculating performance and incorrect course data.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The only device giving exact yardages is a laser. And of course a professional GPS device, which golf watches are not.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't need exact yardages but when comparing to the scoped yardages the GPS was almost always within a few (3'ish yards) of the scope reading. That's accurate enough for me and I atrributed the difference to me not having picked the exact pin location on the GPS green view. The few times it was off a more significant amount I again attributed that to me not picking the exact pin location on the green. These days I mostly use the scope unless I am playing a course I am not very familiar with. Then I will use the GPS for distances to bunkers, over bunkers, layup areas etc. and the scope for distances to the pin.

> > > >

> > > > I am afraid you lost me here because you wrote:

> > > > ' When I first bought a GPS I was shocked at how many courses had markers that were off by a amount large enough to make a difference for me. I only trust their markings once I have determined they are accurate.'

> > > >

> > > > So my question is how did you come to the conclusion that those (many) markers were off?

> > >

> > > By comparing the GPS readings to those of a scope and coming to the conlusion that the GPS was accurate enough and more accurate than some markers on enough courses for me to trust the GPS readings. Not sure what you after there. At a point when I did not have a scope within my group I used Google Earth to compare the courses markings and GPS reading. I can only come to the conlusion that until the GPS and scope say I can trust that courses marking from many places I will trust the GPS/Scope before trusting the courses markings.

> >

> > Where does that hostility come from..?

> >

> > What I am after is that commercial GPS golf watches are not very accurate, and furthermore some of the data they use is false / inaccurate. Thus the information they provide is far from perfect while the courses normally use professional staff with pro gear far superior in accuracy to that of golf watches to mark the yardages. That does not (unfortunately) mean that all the distance markers on the courses would be perfectly accurate ( I have seen that on my home course as well ) but I would feel bold to argue those measures based of a GPS golf watch let alone Google Earth. The ones I have found I have measured with a laser.

>

> No hostility in that response. Not sure where you are getting that from.

>

> I don't have much experience comparing a GPS watch to the scope. I was in a group the other day and a player had one of the watches that seemed to be close on some holes and off a significant amount on others. The course had small greens that we were very familiar with and it was easy to tell how far from center many of the flags were (within a few yards). Perhaps the hand-held unit that I have is more accurate than the watches IDK? What I do know is I have compared it to the scope readings and it seems pretty accurate to me.

>

> One guy I play with used a phone app for GPS for a short time but it was off so often that he abandoned it and eventually got a scope. We would compare the hand-held GPS readings to the scope often. Eventually I just trusted it after enough comparisons to a scope reading.

>

> I am sure many courses do use profession gear to measure distances. I am also sure many older course may not have. No matter what the course I don't trust their markers until I get many confirmations from the scope (or in the days of more frequent GPS use confirmation from the GPS). Of course a scope can also give you a false reading if you pickup something behind the intended target.

What is a scope?

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > laser rangefinder

>

> Thank you.

> Now, how do you compare a laser finder to a GPS watch? Where do you aim the laser? After all, the yardages on the courses are to the center of the green (or to the front) and that is a spot hard to target with a laser, huh?

Q1: Post #89 - 'The course had small greens that we were very familiar with and it was easy to tell how far from center many of the flags were (within a few yards)'. For larger greens If the watch also shows distances to the front and back of the green you can easily pace off the flag to front edge or back edge of the green.

Q2: The flag

Q3: See answer to Q1 but exchange Course Yardage Marker for watch.

> @"The General" said:

> You should have just kept quiet. You turned it off, like you should and you didn't use it to your advantage. It popped on, so what. Why even bring it up and give someone a chance to put your feet to the fire?

Rule 1.3b says, _Players are expected to recognize when they have breached a Rule and to be honest in applying their own penalties_.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

> @"The General" said:

> You should have just kept quiet. You turned it off, like you should and you didn't use it to your advantage. It popped on, so what. Why even bring it up and give someone a chance to put your feet to the fire?

Because contrary to what some posters accuse me of, I don’t cheat and I like knowing what the rules are.

> @davep043 said:

> I would suggest that a player who becomes aware that he has breached a rule, but doesn't know what the penalty should be, should feel obliged to put the facts before the Committee so that he can assess the appropriate penalty against himself or his team before turning in his score. Not to do that would, to me, bring that player's integrity into question.

Agree, and how is tying your playing partner , using his score, when you should have been assessed a 2 stroke penalty for the breach ?

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC