2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

in the aftermath of Brooks Koepka's performance who are legitimate candidates now for the GOAT??

jmvargas

> @Ferguson said:

> Bruce is no GOAT, not with those hats.

And the shoes...don't EVER forget those shoes. I hope Nike pays him a lot.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If he wins 2 out of every 3 majors played for the next 7 years I agree he is the greatest of all time. If he wins 4 over the next 7 years like he has done to this point...... eh, he’s pretty good but not even close to the greatest of all time.

> @puttingmatt said:

> That said, if Brooks plays and wins majors like he is now for the next 7 years.......

> He will be the goat,

> @pgapromex said:

> From tee to green Koepka beats Jack and Tiger in their prime on today's major courses. Jack and Tiger have a slight edge in making clutch putts for the win. Except for last 9 at PGA, I have never seen better ball striking than Koepka.

Out of curiosity, when you hear people talk about the Golden Bear and Tiger, do you imagine an actual bear and Tiger swinging a golf club? Because from your comment, I can certainly tell you’ve never actually watched these two play golf.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @bscinstnct said:

>

> > @pgapromex said:

> > From tee to green Koepka beats Jack and Tiger in their prime on today's major courses. Jack and Tiger have a slight edge in making clutch putts for the win. Except for last 9 at PGA, I have never seen better ball striking than Koepka.

>

> What?!

>

> 43 year old back fused TW just beat BK at Augusta.

>

> You gotta be kidding with that.

>

> Even my avatar is laughin ; )

>

>

>

>

>

>

Old man Tiger would get chewed up and spit out by prime Tiger... and old man Tiger is 6th in the world ranking playing part-time.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @pgapromex said:

> From tee to green Koepka beats Jack and Tiger in their prime on today's major courses. Jack and Tiger have a slight edge in making clutch putts for the win. Except for last 9 at PGA, I have never seen better ball striking than Koepka.

Might want to watch the two greatest

Exhibitions of ball striking that’s ever been.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @jmvargas said:

> > @golfandfishing said:

> > So......greatest of all time, but without the greatest part? And also maybe even without the all time part?

> >

> > > @jmvargas said:

> > > I guess no one read that I said" excluding Jack and Tiger"...

> > > I am just looking at "CANDIDATES"...ie--possible contenders for GOAT --EXCLUDING Jack and Tiger..

> > > purely hypothetical discussion guys!!..

> > > I contend my no. 1 has the best chance and the others down the line lesser and lesser..

> >

> >

>

> > So......greatest of all time, but without the greatest part? And also maybe even without the all time part?

> >

> > > @jmvargas said:

> > > I am just looking at "CANDIDATES"...ie--possible contenders for GOAT --EXCLUDING Jack and Tiger..

> > > I contend my no. 1 has the best chance and the others down the line lesser and lesser..

> >

> >

>

> ok to make it simpler for you guys..

> ...assuming Jack and Tiger were never born who would have the best chances to be the GOAT among the current crop of golfers in 15 years time??

Honestly if there is no tiger or jack ? It either falls back to Hogan , or up to Phil ....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

as the OP I'm quite pleased with the discussions and different viewpoints this thread has spawned which is really why I decided to put it here in the first place..

most are quite well-thought of and shows how knowledgeable and current most of you are here about the golfing scene nowadays..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I think GOAT is generational and Tiger is still the only real leading candidate for this generation. Of the others listed, you'd have to say given his recent performance, Koepka has the best chance of making a run at it. The rest of the guys have potential, like Phil had potential, but in the face of a true GOAT, couldn't compete at their level.

If Rory can find another gear he has the next best shot at it, but I'm not sure he wants it bad enough.

DJ is 34, he'd have to start winning at least 1-2 a year to get into the conversation before he hit 40.

Spieth is like Phil, has the drive but not sure he has the game.

Day is 31 and doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy.

Rose is 38, he peaked too late.

Rahm has potential but he needs a shrink or maturity to allow him to control his emotions, something which Sergio was never able to overcome

The rest have not done enough to even warrant being in the discussion imo.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @new2g0lf said:

> I think GOAT is generational and Tiger is still the only real leading candidate for this generation. Of the others listed, you'd have to say given his recent performance, Koepka has the best chance of making a run at it. The rest of the guys have potential, like Phil had potential, but in the face of a true GOAT, couldn't compete at their level.

> If Rory can find another gear he has the next best shot at it, but I'm not sure he wants it bad enough.

> DJ is 34, he'd have to start winning at least 1-2 a year to get into the conversation before he hit 40.

> Spieth is like Phil, has the drive but not sure he has the game.

> Day is 31 and doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy.

> Rose is 38, he peaked too late.

> Rahm has potential but he needs a shrink or maturity to allow him to control his emotions, something which Sergio was never able to overcome

> The rest have not done enough to even warrant being in the discussion imo.

Brooks has the potential to be "goatish" but for now in May of 2019 he's just on a streak.

If Brooks can keep up his driving and wedge game then I do think Tiger will have his hands full with him at majors in the next few years. It's hard to beat someone who is just bombing it out there and having a wedge into nearly all the greens, his wedge game has been spot on as well. After the pga Tiger mentioned that he needs to get his speed back up so we will see what he does in reaction. Brooks' irons are stronger lofted and cavity back so they def go farther club for club vs. Tiger. I think Tiger could go to modern lofts on his irons, hit it farther and still be best iron player ever.

As great as Koepka has been the last few years, he still comes up far short compared to Tiger's best years. Tiger won 4 majors in a row. 7 of 11. He won by margins of victory over the second place finishers that weren't seen since the 19th Century. He went through a 4-year stretch when he won 32 times! The next best player won 8 times. He played an entire year when he had only one round higher than a 73. He went through a four year period when he only missed three putts from 3 feet or closer, out of over 1,500. He won at least 5 straight tournaments three different times! He went 8 years without missing a cut. He had one stretch when he won 20 out of 38 events that he played. He played the greatest golf ever seen. Koepka's last few years are not even close to what Tiger did.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @jmvargas said:

> > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > So......greatest of all time, but without the greatest part? And also maybe even without the all time part?

> > >

> > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > I guess no one read that I said" excluding Jack and Tiger"...

> > > > I am just looking at "CANDIDATES"...ie--possible contenders for GOAT --EXCLUDING Jack and Tiger..

> > > > purely hypothetical discussion guys!!..

> > > > I contend my no. 1 has the best chance and the others down the line lesser and lesser..

> > >

> > >

> >

> > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > So......greatest of all time, but without the greatest part? And also maybe even without the all time part?

> > >

> > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > I guess no one read that I said" excluding Jack and Tiger"...

> > > > I am just looking at "CANDIDATES"...ie--possible contenders for GOAT --EXCLUDING Jack and Tiger..

> > > > purely hypothetical discussion guys!!..

> > > > I contend my no. 1 has the best chance and the others down the line lesser and lesser..

> > >

> > >

> >

> > ok to make it simpler for you guys..

> > ...assuming Jack and Tiger were never born who would have the best chances to be the GOAT among the current crop of golfers in 15 years time??

>

> Honestly if there is no tiger or jack ? It either falls back to Hogan , or up to Phil ....

I’d also throw Sam Snead into that mix. Won his first major before the US majors cancelled their’s during WW2 whereas Hogan didn’t win his first until after the war so I’d argue the lost opportunities hurt Snead more than Hogan. Snead has more career wins (just barely holding onto the record now though) than Hogan.

And Snead has a LPGA tour win kicker. So there’s that. ?

although i have changed the parameters of this post at least twice vs the original many are still not getting it..

so here it goes again...

starting from Zero--ie--we will only consider active current players in the regular tours..(people keep bringing up those no longer with us)..

IIRC only Tiger and Phil are still active among those with a chance..

I have already disqualified Tiger earlier...

I have not included Phil in my list due to his age but you may want to..

I hope it's clear now..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

So you are really NOT asking about the GOAT, which by definition means All Time and not limited to current players. If you are asking which current player other than Phil or Tiger will end up with the best career, at this point Brooks, Rory, and Spieth are far ahead of all the other younger guys in majors. I think Rory is killing his back with that swing. I love Brooks’ swing. As muscled as he is he really doesn’t seem to put too much pressure on his back compared to others. I also think Spieth will figure things out and have some hot streaks over the years. I see he and Brooks having more staying power at the top over the next ten years.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @pgapromex said:

> > From tee to green Koepka beats Jack and Tiger in their prime on today's major courses. Jack and Tiger have a slight edge in making clutch putts for the win. Except for last 9 at PGA, I have never seen better ball striking than Koepka.

>

> Out of curiosity, when you hear people talk about the Golden Bear and Tiger, do you imagine an actual bear and Tiger swinging a golf club? Because from your comment, I can certainly tell you’ve never actually watched these two play golf.

>

>

Wow! How quickly people forget. 2000+ was a clinic in golf by Tiger Woods....While I'm enjoying Brooks Koepka's climb to the top of golf, he only have six or seven wins on tour. Golf needs a dominate player but lets pump the brakes on that greatest of all time foolishness....

So again, by Greatest of all Time what you mean is “playing the best at the moment”?

Justin Thomas passes all of these guys by the time he’s done.

> @jmvargas said:

> although i have changed the parameters of this post at least twice vs the original many are still not getting it..

> so here it goes again...

> starting from Zero--ie--we will only consider active current players in the regular tours..(people keep bringing up those no longer with us)..

> IIRC only Tiger and Phil are still active among those with a chance..

> I have already disqualified Tiger earlier...

> I have not included Phil in my list due to his age but you may want to..

> I hope it's clear now..

>

>

>

>

you guys are tough... I guess it's the GOAT as per MY definition.....

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Jack is GOAT. That will most likely never change.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @jmvargas said:

> >

> > > @jmvargas said:

> >

> >

>

> >

> > > @jmvargas said:

> >

> >

>

> ok to make it simpler for you guys..

> ...assuming Jack and Tiger were never born who would have the best chances to be the GOAT among the current crop of golfers in 15 years time??

Sam Snead.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

DJ's window passed a long time ago. Koepka doesn't even have a chance to be GOAT. He'd have to win 20 majors, and then people would be like... why doesn't he have regular tour wins? He needs 16 more. If he wins 2 a year for 8 years he can make it. Right. Nobody is putting down that bet, not even the guy who won a mil on Tiger. I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome, just pretty unlikely. YJS had a chance when he started (age, immediate brilliance), but has slowed down too much. It's a high bar guys. And there was like what a 20 year gap between Tiger and Jack? Maybe the next one is coming in a few years?

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS