2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

> @"Joe S" said:

> I lucked in to a set of 1964 Wilson Staff Irons and woods today at one of my favorite Goodwills for $7.99 total. 2 through Pitching Wedge and 1-4 wood. The individual iron is the 7. All original leather grips still that are still tacky. This was after finding a 3-8 and 10 iron, MT by MacGreggor, then spending about 30 minutes trying to find the 9 with no luck at a different store. That made this find feel even better.

> 7etpk2rml5pj.jpg

> 1yx75a382aiz.jpg

> q2eizdhy7ta4.jpg

>

>

>

>

> .

That picture in the bag brought back memories---- Looks exactly like some of the sets the weekend golfers played at my old man's course--- Most of the full time gamblers and hustlers bought Spalding or Macgregor equipment but all the weekend guys bought Wilson.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @zzyzxx33 said:

> e9th93mpkojt.jpeg

> 36k9nwewy43b.jpeg

> pbwnqbfbmpqy.jpeg

> b9i2gysjvrjs.jpeg

> I could not pass this up today! It looks all original and barley used! $6.99

Very interesting to say the least---- I have seen plenty of Billy Casper mallet head putters ( my old man putted with one for years) but never a Casper signature blade one

• Like 1

With its round grip and that type of blade, I would guess the Casper putter is from one of those starter half sets Wilson used to sell (the Snead Blue Ridge and Berg Cup Defender were offered that way, but there were many others). The ones with a driver, 3 wood, irons 3-5-7-9 and a blade putter. Those putters usually had the same round grip as the rest of the set as opposed to a typical putter grip.

That said, it is one fine looking putter and is no doubt quite serviceable.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Yeah that is an interesting putter. I've seen a thousand Snead Wilson's similar to that in GW over the years but never a Casper.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"Joe S" said:

> > I lucked in to a set of 1964 Wilson Staff Irons and woods today at one of my favorite Goodwills for $7.99 total. 2 through Pitching Wedge and 1-4 wood. The individual iron is the 7. All original leather grips still that are still tacky. This was after finding a 3-8 and 10 iron, MT by MacGreggor, then spending about 30 minutes trying to find the 9 with no luck at a different store. That made this find feel even better.

> > 7etpk2rml5pj.jpg

> > 1yx75a382aiz.jpg

> > q2eizdhy7ta4.jpg

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > .

>

> That picture in the bag brought back memories---- Looks exactly like some of the sets the weekend golfers played at my old man's course--- Most of the full time gamblers and hustlers bought Spalding or Macgregor equipment but all the weekend guys bought Wilson.

I almost got a set of MacGregors too, but the 9 iron would not cooperate.

> @Shallowface said:

> With its round grip and that type of blade, I would guess the Casper putter is from one of those starter half sets Wilson used to sell (the Snead Blue Ridge and Berg Cup Defender were offered that way, but there were many others). The ones with a driver, 3 wood, irons 3-5-7-9 and a blade putter. Those putters usually had the same round grip as the rest of the set as opposed to a typical putter grip.

> That said, it is one fine looking putter and is no doubt quite serviceable.

Yep it is of the same design and type as the Snead and Patty Berg putters used in those starter sets. You never know> I knew a high dollar golf gambler that putted with a Northwestern version or style of that putter round grip and all. He played for thousands of dollars all around the country including Vegas. He could darn sure putt with that thing. I know Doyle Brunson once quipped to my old man that fellow had won enough money with that thing that he could have bought the Northwestern Golf Co. from the Ronasco brothers cash money

It wasn’t quite thrift shop cheap or wooden woods, but I’m excited for this haul of 15 year olds(or more) Doesn’t hurt that I was striking them all really well on the store’s indoor setup as well as the outdoor range on the way home. I am slightly giddy and can’t wait to play a few rounds with them.

Callaway FT-3 Fusion Tour 9.5* Aldila NVS 65-S $16

Taylormade R7 425 10.5* Fujikura REAX 60-R $25

Cleveland Launcher 460 9.5* Fujikura Launcher Gold 65-S $20 +$5 for a new SuperStroke grip.

Nike T40 21* 7W Nike Regular $16

Nike CPR 18* TruTemper Uniflex steel $16

Nike Slingshot 3-PW irons $85

> @"Richard 77" said:

> Did GW charge for the set or individual club. Goodwills here in the Indy area are up to 3.99 to 5.99 per club.

>

Don't know about all the other Thrift Stores.

Sound here the golf clubs are always sold by the individual stock. Usually $3.99 per stick unless it is a late ( post 1990) model year. Have no idea how they post the price tag. SOme of them are in the $29.99 to $ 49.99 range. Occasional putters like S.C. will go over a Franklin.

Once I asked why they didn't keep the set of irons together and bundle them for one price..... the answer was, it sells foster with individually marked golf clubs.

Lots of beginners and local par three golfers don;t want to invest in a whole set of used golf clubs. They'll just pick up a couple of golf clubs for the Summer.

I told the guy in charge at one store to keep the Vantage set together and that will bring more profit for the store...... ignored. They get it at no cost anyway.

Slim picking in recent years. Have not seen anything decent for at least several years now. Decreeasing golfer population and the cost for replacing old golf equipments had put a dent in the donated used golf equipments.

It's great that some of you still have good find in your area. I guess I'll take a break from visiting the Thrift Stores , perhaps try again when the economy slowed down.

I went back to that PIA yesterday and those Hogan BH05 Offsets were still there - I think they even lowered them to $39.99 (from $49).

Also they had a nice Bobby Grace milled putter for $9.99 that I wasn't leaving without.

So I generally keep the vehicle loaded with golf clubs I'm trying to move so I went in there with literally a bunch of junk (and a Sun Mountain that was kind of sketchy) and they gave me $47.00 credit, so for a grand total of $3.20 I got the Hogans (3-pw, grips in excellent condition) and this BG:

![](https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/62338989_653884368356956_9037781410458370048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQmwQj7AL16N3RpHHavk7NaeEuCPj9_jgsLkKd9KeOW4SGBkUHF57iV4mn985kNBp4o&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a3d3c64f27b7e48a3ec95fe699d6efd6&oe=5D902BE2 "")

• Like 1

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

> @Joe85 said:

> I went back to that PIA yesterday and those Hogan BH05 Offsets were still there - I think they even lowered them to $39.99 (from $49).

>

> Also they had a nice Bobby Grace milled putter for $9.99 that I wasn't leaving without.

>

> So I generally keep the vehicle loaded with golf clubs I'm trying to move so I went in there with literally a bunch of junk (and a Sun Mountain that was kind of sketchy) and they gave me $47.00 credit, so for a grand total of $3.20 I got the Hogans (3-pw, grips in excellent condition) and this BG:

>

Please sell those Hogans to me.....I'll throw in a free car wash this weekend. Be here before 6pm.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

There's half a dozen PIA near me and they > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @Joe85 said:

> > I went back to that PIA yesterday and those Hogan BH05 Offsets were still there - I think they even lowered them to $39.99 (from $49).

> >

> > Also they had a nice Bobby Grace milled putter for $9.99 that I wasn't leaving without.

> >

> > So I generally keep the vehicle loaded with golf clubs I'm trying to move so I went in there with literally a bunch of junk (and a Sun Mountain that was kind of sketchy) and they gave me $47.00 credit, so for a grand total of $3.20 I got the Hogans (3-pw, grips in excellent condition) and this BG:

> >

>

> Please sell those Hogans to me.....I'll throw in a free car wash this weekend. Be here before 6pm.

>

Not sure if serious or not..

I had this exact same set maybe 5-7 years ago? I must not have hit them well at the time because I sold 'em. Not sure If I want to keep them or not - I'm trying to sell off many of my personal sets so I'm going to have to decide between these, x18rs, or Cleveland TA4s (my 762s and 320s are going up for auction today I think). My swing left me though and I work a lot now days so I hardly even have time to golf.

They are pretty irons - this set I acquired are in nice shape, grips are original and excellent.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

> @Joe85 said:

> There's half a dozen PIA near me and they > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > @Joe85 said:

> > > I went back to that PIA yesterday and those Hogan BH05 Offsets were still there - I think they even lowered them to $39.99 (from $49).

> > >

> > > Also they had a nice Bobby Grace milled putter for $9.99 that I wasn't leaving without.

> > >

> > > So I generally keep the vehicle loaded with golf clubs I'm trying to move so I went in there with literally a bunch of junk (and a Sun Mountain that was kind of sketchy) and they gave me $47.00 credit, so for a grand total of $3.20 I got the Hogans (3-pw, grips in excellent condition) and this BG:

> > >

> >

> > Please sell those Hogans to me.....I'll throw in a free car wash this weekend. Be here before 6pm.

> >

>

> Not sure if serious or not..

>

>

> I had this exact same set maybe 5-7 years ago? I must not have hit them well at the time because I sold 'em. Not sure If I want to keep them or not - I'm trying to sell off many of my personal sets so I'm going to have to decide between these, x18rs, or Cleveland TA4s (my 762s and 320s are going up for auction today I think). My swing left me though and I work a lot now days so I hardly even have time to golf.

>

>

> They are pretty irons - this set I acquired are in nice shape, grips are original and excellent.

If those Hogans have Apex 3 shafts, you can PM me anytime. I would appreciate a spare set.

some of my other gear is leaving soon. like you - whittling down.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Apex 4 - which I've always believed to be "stiff" flex (correct me if I'm wrong).

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I just grabbed a set of Nicklaus McGregor Masters irons and lefty XJ Callaway 5,7,9 irons for just under $24 total. I don't know anything about the Masters set. They look like this:

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9ssAAOSwRUhY~jab/s-l1600.jpg "")

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Anyone have any info on these?? I've got them scheduled to list on eBay this Thursday for a 10 day auction:

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rvUAAOSwc41c~CNA/s-l1600.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uyoAAOSwuU9c~CNs/s-l1600.jpg "")

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

> @Joe85 said:

> Anyone have any info on these?? I've got them scheduled to list on eBay this Thursday for a 10 day auction:

>

> ![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rvUAAOSwc41c~CNA/s-l1600.jpg "")

>

> ![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uyoAAOSwuU9c~CNs/s-l1600.jpg "")

>

I remember seeing these in K-Mart back in the 1970s. Not meant to be a putdown or anything, just a statement of fact.

In later years MacGregor sold irons labeled "Master" instead of "Masters." Wonder if they got a "cease and desist" at some point from ANGC?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

> @dcopp7 said:

> Wife suggested Goodwill tonite...picked up Stan Thompson 3-PW forged irons for $1.99 for all. ;) gonna clean em up in the AM & post pics.

Were these the "Ginty" model? Cool clubs - helped most everyone that played with them - but couldn't get a tour player to promote them....wonder why????

I grabbed this weird putter from PIA last night for $4.99:

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ahoAAOSwoz9c~9ic/s-l1600.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8IcAAOSwFRtc~9h7/s-l500.jpg "")

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

> @augustgolf said:

> > @dcopp7 said:

> > Wife suggested Goodwill tonite...picked up Stan Thompson 3-PW forged irons for $1.99 for all. ;) gonna clean em up in the AM & post pics.

> Were these the "Ginty" model? Cool clubs - helped most everyone that played with them - but couldn't get a tour player to promote them....wonder why????

>

No sir, just a simple gorgeous blade design

![](https://i.imgur.com/gk5g7js.jpg "")

gk5g7js.jpg

>

![](https://i.imgur.com/3wP7Bbp.jpg "")

3wP7Bbp.jpg

y1Id0Hl.jpg

![](https://i.imgur.com/y1Id0Hl.jpg "")

• Like 4