Weight loss effect on golf swing

Was wondering if any of you other seasoned seniors have experienced any negative effects on your golf swing, irons particularly, that you attribute to weight loss.

It's been three years since my colon surgery and during this past year I have regained enough strength and stamina to exercise effectively enough to lose 30-35 pounds.

All parts of my game are better than they have been in years, with the exception of iron play. i can't find a consistent low point with a full iron shot.

Anyone else been down this road, and if so, is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Stock driver shot shape has changed, from a fade, to a nice draw, and my normal setup for a fade, with driver, is now a very solidly struck straight ball.

Irons, which use to be my calling card, and the strongest part of my game, with a baby fade, under control, could be anything from a shank, to a sweeping hook, or any point in between.

I know it's gotten in my head now, but, I don't want to just get it around with a little punch draw all the time.

Sorry for the whining. I know I am very blessed just to still be alive and able to get out on the course.

Thanks in advance, I'm on my pity pot after a couple of exceptionally good driving rounds that ended up in the crapper.

Randy

I've lost three pant sizes over the last 6 months and now my pants are wrapped around my feet after I swing. I need to get a tour-issue belt on eBay. OK, I'm kidding about the belt.

I suggest you focus on less sliding or lateral movement on the downswing. You can probably turn better now, but your timing and club path was tuned to a slide toward the target. Try some slow motion swings with the simple swing thought of "turn back and turn through." No slide.

Build up from slow 1/2 swings as you tune in that impact.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I've lost three pant sizes over the last 6 months and now my pants are wrapped around my feet after I swing. I need to get a tour-issue belt on eBay. OK, I'm kidding about the belt.

I suggest you focus on less sliding or lateral movement on the downswing. You can probably turn better now, but your timing and club path was tuned to a slide toward the target. Try some slow motion swings with the simple swing thought of "turn back and turn through." No slide.

Having lost about 30 lbs myself over the course of the last year or so, I find myself in the same (leaky) boat. My naturally upright swing had become flatter with the need to swing more around my belly, and my "new" iron stance had crept into a very wide, slide inducing one. Still working on a fix, but a swing thought that has helped in the past is "swing like you're standing in a rain barrel."

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Having lost about 30 lbs myself over the course of the last year or so, I find myself in the same (leaky) boat. My naturally upright swing had become flatter with the need to swing more around my belly, and my "new" iron stance had crept into a very wide, slide inducing one. Still working on a fix, but a swing thought that has helped in the past is "swing like you're standing in a rain barrel."

I too am struggling with this same thing. I have lost about 40lbs, and instead of swinging flat around my belly I now feel more upright. I used to hit a pretty healthy pull if I missed, now I am headed in the other direction. Frustrating to say the least, but at least I get to see the right side of the golf course now...

I would be interested to see if anyone has some pointers.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Weight loss or gain definitely affects your swing. In over 50 years of golf, I've been up and down the scales too many times. Yes, I have noticed a tendency to swing more upright when heavy. Part of this is your body making adjustments to clear your added girth. As you lose, your body relaxes, makes musculoskeletal adjustments and your swing tends to flatten a little and you are able to turn better. A few years ago, Golf or Golf Digest had an article on swing characteristics based upon body type, and another discussing star athletes, body type and adjustments. I'm heavy right now, so my swing tends to be outside-in and more upright than it might otherwise be. Bottom line, per Arnie, "swing your swing," and make some minor adjustments to make it work for you.

Hard to say without a video. And I'm not sure how helpful I would be with video. Try opening the stance a bit. Sounds like you're getting a better turn than you used to and may be coming in more shallow.

BUT, congrats on the wight loss!

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Could be a better turn but it also might be just a setup issue or something simple. The way your body feels in relation to your swing has changed because your body composition has changed. You have to decide do you want to make your new changing body work for your swing or your swing work for your new body?

Happy health friend.

J

When diagnosed with Type2 a few years ago, lost about 35 pounds. Swing was all jacked. Took a couple lessons to sort things out - and now I am playing the best golf of my life. Hitting the ball further, more solid, and most importantly, where I want it to go. You need to adjust to the new you and get your swing in line with the new you. One thing - I had to change most of my equipment to fit the new me. Since this topic is in the classic section, Im not sure if that is reasonable or not.

Bet anyway, kudos on the weight loss. I feel better than ever now and I hope you do to!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I myself have lost about 50 lbs since that old Avaitar picture. I did my weight loss gradually. Now with me it was a timing issue since I was swinging faster and turning through the ball. I actually had to slow my hands down some because my old hooking problem was creeping up. Pretty much got it down now but it took me almost a year to get it timed up

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Yep,

It's a timing issue no doubt. Just have to get to the range more and put in the required work. Should be to our regular work schedule now that the new grass is starting to grow, so I should be able to get back to my old routine of balancing practice time versus playing time.

Like you point Stu about slowing down the hands. I had gotten so much quicker with everything working more efficiently with the increased flexibility that I don't have to depend as much on my hands for power, if that makes sense?

Weight loss happens two ways, muscle and fat. In my case, late 60's and been working out since HS. With age though comes natural muscle weight loss.

Anyway, yes. Weight loss of any kind affects the golf swing and tempo. It can slightly increase SS, but less weight power behind the swing can have a derogatory affect. If I don't exercise regularly I will be like so many others my age and younger; major loss power = loss of distance, fast. Noticed some distance loss over the last year, mostly with long irons. 2i use to be 220+ carry, now, it's more like 210-215 carry, but "moments" of swing brilliance and right conditions can still reach 220-230.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

• 1 year later...

Late to the conversation, but a relevant topic for me. I am 1 year (almost exactly) into a weight loss target and have lost 1/2 my body weight in that time (as in I am 50% of the weight I was 1 year ago). Prior to my weight loss over the past 20 years I have moved in and out of the game as work and family allowed, honing my game to a 5 hcap on a few occasions when I was playing a lot, averaging an 8 when I was more casually playing and maybe a 12 or so in those stretches where I was only able to play once a month or less. Always could depend on a self taught swing that allowed me to enjoy the game by making enough solid golf shots to enjoy the game and score. I have never been super long, but could hold my own with most playing partners in my hcap range. That is the background. Fast forward 1 year and 172 lbs lost... I picked up the clubs to re-establish my golf game as I have some time and desire to dedicate to it again.

Disaster.

As the quote goes from Tin Cup... my swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair. Stance, distance from the ball, ball position, take away, follow through... and most importantly solid contact are all a mystery and have all but disappeared. After a full xl bucket earlier in the year of misfits, overly harsh mat impacts, and even the s-word, I was ready to sell my clubs and take up fly fishing. In subsequent buckets, and attempts to play on the course, I was able to find the club face a few times, but the accuracy is gone, and I have absolutely no distance. As I said, I wasn't long before, but as recently as 2 years ago, I was probably 265 with my driver and 165 with my 7 iron, having no issue getting my 3 iron up in the air as needed for those 200-205 yard approaches. Now, my distances at best are 200/130/dribbler respectively with those same clubs.

I know my rapid weight loss was at the expense of muscle in some respect, and I do feel significantly weaker in my swing. And have started a kettle bell routine to build back tone and strength..

I guess my question is multi-fold... how much of my previous game relied on the mass transfer I created with those additional 172 lbs to generate power, and how do I utilize my existing 172 lbs to generate the power needed to create respectable and most importantly... enjoyable golf swing? Having never taken a lesson... is this the time to "re-learn" the golf swing from scratch by seeking a teaching professional? At 50 years old, how much power/swing speed loss can I attribute my current game to.. and how will my age impact those same metrics over the coming years if and when dedicate my time to golf. All questions that have subjective answers, but what better place to ask these questions, than a subjective forum :).

Looking forward to any and all responses.

Tim

• Like 1

> @Tiftaaft said:

> Late to the conversation, but a relevant topic for me. I am 1 year (almost exactly) into a weight loss target and have lost 1/2 my body weight in that time (as in I am 50% of the weight I was 1 year ago). Prior to my weight loss over the past 20 years I have moved in and out of the game as work and family allowed, honing my game to a 5 hcap on a few occasions when I was playing a lot, averaging an 8 when I was more casually playing and maybe a 12 or so in those stretches where I was only able to play once a month or less. Always could depend on a self taught swing that allowed me to enjoy the game by making enough solid golf shots to enjoy the game and score. I have never been super long, but could hold my own with most playing partners in my hcap range. That is the background. Fast forward 1 year and 172 lbs lost... I picked up the clubs to re-establish my golf game as I have some time and desire to dedicate to it again.

>

> Disaster.

>

> As the quote goes from Tin Cup... my swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair. Stance, distance from the ball, ball position, take away, follow through... and most importantly solid contact are all a mystery and have all but disappeared. After a full xl bucket earlier in the year of misfits, overly harsh mat impacts, and even the s-word, I was ready to sell my clubs and take up fly fishing. In subsequent buckets, and attempts to play on the course, I was able to find the club face a few times, but the accuracy is gone, and I have absolutely no distance. As I said, I wasn't long before, but as recently as 2 years ago, I was probably 265 with my driver and 165 with my 7 iron, having no issue getting my 3 iron up in the air as needed for those 200-205 yard approaches. Now, my distances at best are 200/130/dribbler respectively with those same clubs.

>

> I know my rapid weight loss was at the expense of muscle in some respect, and I do feel significantly weaker in my swing. And have started a kettle bell routine to build back tone and strength..

>

> I guess my question is multi-fold... how much of my previous game relied on the mass transfer I created with those additional 172 lbs to generate power, and how do I utilize my existing 172 lbs to generate the power needed to create respectable and most importantly... enjoyable golf swing? Having never taken a lesson... is this the time to "re-learn" the golf swing from scratch by seeking a teaching professional? At 50 years old, how much power/swing speed loss can I attribute my current game to.. and how will my age impact those same metrics over the coming years if and when dedicate my time to golf. All questions that have subjective answers, but what better place to ask these questions, than a subjective forum :).

>

> Looking forward to any and all responses.

>

> Tim

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss! Your golf game may temporarily be in the crapper and while i'm sure that's really frustrating, you need to cut yourself a break. Remember, you're playing the long game here. Your new body will get back into golf mode and adjust to how different everything feels- I can only imagine just how different that must be, given you're literally half the person you were a year ago.

I lost 40 lbs over the course of about 18 mos and my swing feels distinctly different and I was just getting back to my normal weight. Give yourself some time.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that. I will practice my patience, I just wasn't expecting unintended results on my golf game.. so it is more surprised than frustrated... given the option, I would definitely choose my golf game in the crapper, opposed to my health. Thanks again... and congratulations to you on your tremendous success as well! Tim

All of a sudden, I'm not really looking forward to get back to the game, after reading the post from you guys. Lost about 15% of my body weight from the surgery and few other issues a few months ago.

I had also lost the "urge" to get on the golf course when the weather turning nice.

Used to be the first thing came to my minid looking out the window on a sunny day will be where to find a golf course offering some sort of discount. A memory of what my golf game was prior to the lost of the weight is still better than bursting the bubble if I start the game , again.

Too long a journey without commitment.

> @wkuo3 said:

> All of a sudden, I'm not really looking forward to get back to the game, after reading the post from you guys. Lost about 15% of my body weight from the surgery and few other issues a few months ago.

> I had also lost the "urge" to get on the golf course when the weather turning nice.

> Used to be the first thing came to my minid looking out the window on a sunny day will be where to find a golf course offering some sort of discount. A memory of what my golf game was prior to the lost of the weight is still better than bursting the bubble if I start the game , again.

> Too long a journey without commitment.

I was a little tongue in cheek about giving up golf for fly fishing ;) I love the game, and as they say, even the worst day on the course is better than the best day at work :). Please don't let my comments keep you from enjoying this great game... and congrats on your weight loss journey success. Tim

• Like 1

> @Tiftaaft said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > All of a sudden, I'm not really looking forward to get back to the game, after reading the post from you guys. Lost about 15% of my body weight from the surgery and few other issues a few months ago.

> > I had also lost the "urge" to get on the golf course when the weather turning nice.

> > Used to be the first thing came to my minid looking out the window on a sunny day will be where to find a golf course offering some sort of discount. A memory of what my golf game was prior to the lost of the weight is still better than bursting the bubble if I start the game , again.

> > Too long a journey without commitment.

>

> I was a little tongue in cheek about giving up golf for fly fishing ;) I love the game, and as they say, even the worst day on the course is better than the best day at work :). Please don't let my comments keep you from enjoying this great game... and congrats on your weight loss journey success. Tim

It's not you, I need to face to the fact which I could no longer enjoy the game as I used to.

This was my enjoyment of life before I had my own family. I worked hard at it, spend most my spare time at improving the game. Now it's slipping away a piece at a time.

Will I enjoy the game , ever again ? Perhaps. I would need to come to term with wht the game could offer me at the present stage.

Have not swung a golf club since earlier this year. No motivation to get back on the driving range. I shall see what life would bring later.

Less weight could mean you guys need softer shafts. Friend of mine had a health scare and as such lost almost 50 pounds. He used tipped stiff KBS. Just dropped to Rifle 5.5 as simply didn't have as much weight to transfer. And he has lost distance and feel from 100 yards in. He admits this season is a learning curve and needs to hit the gym as he says his clubs feel heavier and he has much poorer balance. On a positive he looks much better and his GP is happy.

Weight loss had a definite impact on my swing as well as the years adding up on me. I am almost 73 now. At 67, I lost 85 pounds. My game had always had a lot of leg drive and push off on my shots. After losing all that weight, I had to figure out something. My whole swing seemed to change. I have gotten some of it back but haven't quite got back (and probably never will) the yardage loss on my shots. Amounted to about 10 yards on every iron and more on the woods.

> @oldschoolrocker said:

> Was wondering if any of you other seasoned seniors have experienced any negative effects on your golf swing, irons particularly, that you attribute to weight loss.

>

> It's been three years since my colon surgery and during this past year I have regained enough strength and stamina to exercise effectively enough to lose 30-35 pounds.

>

> All parts of my game are better than they have been in years, with the exception of iron play. i can't find a consistent low point with a full iron shot.

>

> Anyone else been down this road, and if so, is there light at the end of the tunnel?

>

> Stock driver shot shape has changed, from a fade, to a nice draw, and my normal setup for a fade, with driver, is now a very solidly struck straight ball.

>

> Irons, which use to be my calling card, and the strongest part of my game, with a baby fade, under control, could be anything from a shank, to a sweeping hook, or any point in between.

>

> I know it's gotten in my head now, but, I don't want to just get it around with a little punch draw all the time.

>

> Sorry for the whining. I know I am very blessed just to still be alive and able to get out on the course.

>

> Thanks in advance, I'm on my pity pot after a couple of exceptionally good driving rounds that ended up in the crapper.

>

>

>

> Randy

Yup when I first got my belly I played some really good golf by swinging "around the baby." If I had it to do over again I would've shot worse scores. Aside from practice, yoga, core strength I've got nothing else and I'm glad you've made it too.