Hi toe help, question?

russian7

Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

I'd check the lie of the HI Toe to see if it is the same as your other 58s. If the lies are all the same, then it's you.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @Stanks said:

> It’s you, not the club. I haven’t had any issues.

> Check your lie angles though. But also record your swing.

I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

> @russian7 said:

> > @Stanks said:

> > It’s you, not the club. I haven’t had any issues.

> > Check your lie angles though. But also record your swing.

> I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

>

I finally got my 56/60 hi toe (4way grind) on the practice range today and it seems like the toe side has more pronounced bounce. I noticed a few flops and pitches that started a shade to the right. I am no expert but maybe that is it?

I posted a side by side picture in another hi toe thread and had the 56 laid open vs my old milled grind 56 and while it’s hard to see, it seems like it’s catching some toe side with the 56HT.

> @russian7 said:

> Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

• Like 1

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @russian7 said:

> > @Stanks said:

> I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

>

If you’re +1 adjust for the difference and stop bitching, if there is still a consistency issue it’s you.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @russian7 said:

> > @Stanks said:

>

Don’t choke on your pride, little guy.

What are the lie angles of the other wedges? Gimme clay and I’ll make you bricks, son. Need more details.

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @russian7 said:

> > Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

>

> Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @russian7 said:

> > > @Stanks said:

> > > It’s you, not the club. I haven’t had any issues.

> > > Check your lie angles though. But also record your swing.

> > I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

> >

>

> If you’re +1 adjust for the difference and stop bitching, if there is still a consistency issue it’s you.

Hmmm. Why would i revolve my game around one club going right and have to change my aim points for one club? I would never do that, all shots equal target line equal lies equal....the hi toe goes right period

> @Stanks said:

> > @russian7 said:

> > > @Stanks said:

> > > It’s you, not the club. I haven’t had any issues.

> > > Check your lie angles though. But also record your swing.

> > I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

> >

> Don’t choke on your pride, little guy.

> What are the lie angles of the other wedges? Gimme clay and I’ll make you bricks, son. Need more details.

Yes agreed, all wedges have same lie angles i had them checked on digital lie machine, it has to be the toe or grind catching turf causing face to slightly open i have no idea...

> @russian7 said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > @russian7 said:

> > > Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

> >

> > Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

>

> First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

And I quote "skinny neck every shot" is not the same as "well struck shots right of target all day". A skinny neck shot is a shank, a well struck shot right of target is a lie angle/face angle issue. Either way, agree with every one, just get rid of it if you have 3 others that work well.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Why is this “toe hitting the turf and opening up the club” myth so common even on a site like this??

Unless the lie angle is obscenely off, On any well struck shot with any iron THE BALL IS LONG GONE BEFORE THE TOE CAN “hit the turf and open the face”. You hit the ball a fraction of a second BEFORE you hit the ground.

Incorrect Lie angle will cause the ball to automatically launch left or right of target but the ground does not open or close the face unless the shot is hit incredibly fat or the lie is EXTREMELY off, or both.

h43cajax5lgp.png

• Like 1

....and for what it’s worth, some wedges just don’t suit some people’s swings.

15 years ago I had a Hogan 56 sand wedge that looked absolutely beautiful to my eye but I ALWAYS hit a just a few yards left of target. I checked the lie angle twice. Spot on. It just always wanted to go left.. I finally just gave up on it as one of life’s unsolved mysteries and it went on eBay.

• Like 1

> @russian7 said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > @russian7 said:

> > > Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

> >

> > Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

>

> First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

It’s the lie angle...go have it bent 1 degree upright from where it’s at. The sole and heel relief in the HiToe in my opinion and experience make it play flatter than the lie angle reading. It’s probably at 64* and plays like it’s at 63*

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @Stanks said:

> I believe Big Dawg Vokey recommended lies 1 - 2 degrees flatter than your iron sets from a Crossfield youtube a little while ago. All of my wedges are stock lie where as my irons are 1 upright. Everyone is different though.

Stan Utley recommends that as well. I was fit at Ping about 5 years ago and the fitter also said that lots of players go with flatter wedges.

> @mogc60 said:

> > @russian7 said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > @russian7 said:

> > > > Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

> > >

> > > Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

> >

> > First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

> It’s the lie angle...go have it bent 1 degree upright from where it’s at. The sole and heel relief in the HiToe in my opinion and experience make it play flatter than the lie angle reading. It’s probably at 64* and plays like it’s at 63*

>

>

Thanks