Rounds with a Vintage Bag

> @Tommix said:

> Took the Tony Penna TP2, MOD 2 ,lefty driver out today in the seniors Comp. for first hit.

> A bit all over the place with low flight.. Compared to honma extra90 definitely heavier swing weight

> but boy felt solid and well worth persevering with .Original grip stuffed so left at pro shop .

> It’s got a graphite or carbon shaft with no markings but acted like an extra stiff or the like which is a bit stiff for me .

> Does anyone know what loft it may be.

> Thanks

> Terry

>

More than likely 10 10.5 loft----- One thing I advise anyone to invest in that messes with classic clubs is the loft protractor that Maltby sells for $25 or so. I have one and it is simple to use. I can also do it the real old school way with a Protractor and straight edge but the Maltby thing is quicker and simplier

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Well, I broke down and got a modern set this off-season. I'm eyeing the State Am if I get my game in shape. Played 9 with them the other day and struggled with a 41, 2 doubles.

Anyway, played the vintage stuff on Friday and struggled with a 41 with 2 doubles. Go figure.

Of course, the modern stuff is noticeably longer.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Just an antidote to the above post. Last year Callaway had a demo day at the club. They were trying to push the Rouge irons and woods. As I mostly play my Eye 2s that is what I had in the bag that day. As luck would have it I was striking the ball well. So the rep looks to see what irons are in my bag. Doesn't say a word turns around and says try this. Hands me an 8 iron. Hit it a couple of times hands me another 8 try this. Felt much better and was crushing the ball, for me, 165 yds or so. I state I don't hit and 8 iron that far. Rep says you do now. I turn and say no I just hit my normal lofted 5 iron that far. Handed him the club and said thanks and grabbed my bag and left. He was little dumbfounded.

• Like 3

Played in a Seniors event today at Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham, playing Titleist persimmon 1W, Uniroyal laminated 3 & 4 woods, John Letters "Gary Player" 3 to 10 irons, Slazenger "Gary Player" SW and a Spalding Cash-In putter. I was hoping to recover my pride from when I played there in March and hit the ball as bad as I ever have.

Started okay and was level on handicap after 5 holes but then I lost the ability to hit woods from the tee and finished up with a dismal 22 points!

(There's a Men's Open there in September, dare I go for a third attempt?)

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

> @Jiggered said:

> Played in a Seniors event today at Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham, playing Titleist persimmon 1W, Uniroyal laminated 3 & 4 woods, John Letters "Gary Player" 3 to 10 irons, Slazenger "Gary Player" SW and a Spalding Cash-In putter. I was hoping to recover my pride from when I played there in March and hit the ball as bad as I ever have.

>

> Started okay and was level on handicap after 5 holes but then I lost the ability to hit woods from the tee and finished up with a dismal 22 points!

> (There's a Men's Open there in September, **dare I go for a third attempt?**)

May as well. In for a dime; in for a dollar they say! (Or should that be in for a penny; in for a pound?) :wink:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Jiggered said:

> Played in a Seniors event today at Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham, playing Titleist persimmon 1W, Uniroyal laminated 3 & 4 woods, John Letters "Gary Player" 3 to 10 irons, Slazenger "Gary Player" SW and a Spalding Cash-In putter. I was hoping to recover my pride from when I played there in March and hit the ball as bad as I ever have.

>

> Started okay and was level on handicap after 5 holes but then I lost the ability to hit woods from the tee and finished up with a dismal 22 points!

> (There's a Men's Open there in September, dare I go for a third attempt?)

Aw heck go for it---- I wish they had some events for us to play classic clubs around here---- I have tried and can not generate any interest for classic clubs around here---- Shoot they do not have any senior events around here unless you play in one of the leagues which I do not care to do----- What is funny I played as a guest in one of the senior league things a couple of years back. I was hitting persimmon and blades from the gold tees. Now those guys out drove me playing metal woods and such. One guy made the smart comment that I was hacking it short and it was an inconvenience all day for me to be 30 yards behind them on tee shots. I embarrassed the crap out of him when I remarked " Well it seems I may have been hacking it ( which I was not) but lets see I shot 80 and you shot 91 so who was hacking? Another event they had at my club and someone did not show up for one of the teams. I was on the range hitting some of my vintage stuff. They asked me to fill in. The one guy asked if I was going to the house and get my other stuff. Naaw I told him I will play with what I have. It was a scramble and we finished 3rd out of about 10 teams. That guy complained that I was not trying because I was playing " wooden woods and antique irons" . Told several folks that we would have won if I had went around the corner to my house and got my modern stuff. Funny thing was we used more of my shots than his. Had the gall to say he would never invite me again. I told him fine that he could play me for $1000 right then and there or shut up. That is they type of people we have here in the senior leagues around here. So I just assume to play my vintage stuff by myself.

That's sad Stu, why can't people just live and let live?

The Senior event I entered above, everyone else was playing moderns and that's how it is most times when I play. But I've never had anybody turn their nose up at me, most people don't even ask me what I'm playing or why, I sometimes wonder if they even notice!

At my club most people know I only be play with old clubs, some are interested and ask what I've got in the bag today, most just let me get on with it.

I get the odd funny comment, the best one recently was when the starter pulled out my 3 iron, looked at the sole and exclaimed "Wow, the sole on this is thinner than the topline on my clubs!"

• Like 1

>

> Aw heck go for it---- I wish they had some events for us to play classic clubs around here---- I have tried and can not generate any interest for classic clubs around here---- Shoot they do not have any senior events around here unless you play in one of the leagues which I do not care to do----- What is funny I played as a guest in one of the senior league things a couple of years back. I was hitting persimmon and blades from the gold tees. Now those guys out drove me playing metal woods and such. One guy made the smart comment that I was hacking it short and it was an inconvenience all day for me to be 30 yards behind them on tee shots. I embarrassed the crap out of him when I remarked " Well it seems I may have been hacking it ( which I was not) but lets see I shot 80 and you shot 91 so who was hacking? Another event they had at my club and someone did not show up for one of the teams. I was on the range hitting some of my vintage stuff. They asked me to fill in. The one guy asked if I was going to the house and get my other stuff. Naaw I told him I will play with what I have. It was a scramble and we finished 3rd out of about 10 teams. That guy complained that I was not trying because I was playing " wooden woods and antique irons" . Told several folks that we would have won if I had went around the corner to my house and got my modern stuff. Funny thing was we used more of my shots than his. Had the gall to say he would never invite me again. I told him fine that he could play me for $1000 right then and there or shut up. That is they type of people we have here in the senior leagues around here. So I just assume to play my vintage stuff by myself.

When I first arrived at Morecambe GC (Home) and playing persimmon woods, a fellow accused me of cheating, and not in a quiet way. His claim was that I was distorting my handicap by playing antique clubs. About 2 years later we were playing in the same flight, and he did apologise, saying I didn't realise you could actually hit those things, ie past his ball. Fair doos. But it still rankled. Many ask me what I've got in the bag today, which is nice, but it's taken them a while to used to me.

> @gsea33 said:

> Went out with the late nineties bag today These clubs play as good as any modern day clubs at least for me. 78 but from only 6300 yds which is my wheelhouse. 97 Mizuno Trues and Titleist 975s

> 3kn7dnxidhwx.jpg

> rxkg2xy9cjhu.jpg

>

LOL what is funny is I have a vintage Hoofer identical to yours. Found mine at GW a year or so ago

> @stixman said:

>

> >

> > Aw heck go for it---- I wish they had some events for us to play classic clubs around here---- I have tried and can not generate any interest for classic clubs around here---- Shoot they do not have any senior events around here unless you play in one of the leagues which I do not care to do----- What is funny I played as a guest in one of the senior league things a couple of years back. I was hitting persimmon and blades from the gold tees. Now those guys out drove me playing metal woods and such. One guy made the smart comment that I was hacking it short and it was an inconvenience all day for me to be 30 yards behind them on tee shots. I embarrassed the crap out of him when I remarked " Well it seems I may have been hacking it ( which I was not) but lets see I shot 80 and you shot 91 so who was hacking? Another event they had at my club and someone did not show up for one of the teams. I was on the range hitting some of my vintage stuff. They asked me to fill in. The one guy asked if I was going to the house and get my other stuff. Naaw I told him I will play with what I have. It was a scramble and we finished 3rd out of about 10 teams. That guy complained that I was not trying because I was playing " wooden woods and antique irons" . Told several folks that we would have won if I had went around the corner to my house and got my modern stuff. Funny thing was we used more of my shots than his. Had the gall to say he would never invite me again. I told him fine that he could play me for $1000 right then and there or shut up. That is they type of people we have here in the senior leagues around here. So I just assume to play my vintage stuff by myself.

>

> When I first arrived at Morecambe GC (Home) and playing persimmon woods, a fellow accused me of cheating, and not in a quiet way. **His claim was that I was distorting my handicap by playing antique clubs**. About 2 years later we were playing in the same flight, and he did apologise, saying I didn't realise you could actually hit those things, ie past his ball. Fair doos. But it still rankled. Many ask me what I've got in the bag today, which is nice, but it's taken them a while to used to me.

>

>

I was accused of similar a couple of years ago in my men's league when I showed up with laminates and an old set of Eye 2 clones. It didn't matter that I shot within a couple of strokes of my regular number without any practice I might add. I played that set up a couple of times and them went back to a more conventional bag with metal woods and a set of Hogan Apex +... :smirk:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played last Saturday and with a general discontent towards my tee game, felt it was time to take the persimmons on the course with me. A bit of experimentation, see how the tee game would react to such a thing. I brought two drivers, my graphite shafted Louisville Smart Driver and my Ram TW802.

Had a brutally bad swing on #8 that resulted in a heeled ball into a tree and a double bogey, but otherwise, I finished the front nine with a respectable (considering #8) +3.

The TW802 comes in at 9*, which gave me a bit of a worry, particularly with using multilayer balls and their lower spin, but I proved to myself I can still play those sorts of lofts. Bad tee shot aside, I got pretty good results, and decent distance.

On the back nine, however, I succumbed to my inner nerd and hit my modern drivers. And, hit the driver belonging to a friend, which is a Cobra at 45.25", shafted with a 60something gram shaft. I don't get along well with those. Of course, I absolutely destroyed that stick, so my inner techie nerd is overriding the persimmon allure, and I'll be taking my Cobra King LTD (or Fly-Z+) to the course in my next round.

Just can't help it, chasing those bombs. It's like my dog with squirrels or rabbits. He can't catch them, but he's just gotta chase...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

zmyw3glf62v4.jpg

I played with these sweet sticks yesterday. I bought the woods and irons, all of them refinished, from Teevons back in January but for various personal reasons I didn't get around to playing them until this past weekend. I played Friday and mostly due to a poor short game shot 85. Then yesterday I started converting and turned in a 76, including level par 36 on the back nine which was pretty exciting for this admitted hacker.

The irons have been rechromed at some point in the past, and were well done with new and correct ferrules, DG shafts, and Neumann leather wrap grips. I asked Teevons to do a refreshing on the woods rather than a full restoration, firstly because they weren't in that bad of shape (except maybe the 2 wood) and secondly because, well, budget and all. They still have the original leather grips which are kinda slick but playable with some pregame Lexol.

Anyway, these are just a sweet, sweet set of clubs. I love the wingback irons. There is so much solid steel behind the sweet spot that well struck shots are just heavenly. And I also love the compact shape. It seems that, for me, the smaller the blade the fewer fat shots I hit. The 2 iron is just tiny, playing partners are amazed by it. My neighbor's 13 year old son wanted to try out one of the long irons yesterday so I lent him the 3 iron on a downhill par 3 that was playing 185 but into a two club wind. He smoked it to about 12 feet. He had the biggest grin on his face after he hit it. Btw, this kid also shot 76 on the day.

The woods are also very, very solid. 1-2-3-4 all of the clubs do exactly what you would want them to do. I think its the first set of eye-o-matic Macs I've owned. I think if I could find four more Neumann grips I would replace the old leather ones but barring that they will stay as is.

The putter is a MacGregor Mike Souchak Blue Devil model. It also has a leather grip and also came from Teevons...as did the black Hogan bag that housed them all. These sticks deserve a classic MacGregor bag, though.

Thanks, Teevons. It was worth the wait.

• Like 4

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

> @HoldenCornfield said:

> zmyw3glf62v4.jpg

> I played with these sweet sticks yesterday. I bought the woods and irons, all of them refinished, from Teevons back in January but for various personal reasons I didn't get around to playing them until this past weekend. I played Friday and mostly due to a poor short game shot 85. Then yesterday I started converting and turned in a 76, including level par 36 on the back nine which was pretty exciting for this admitted hacker.

>

> The irons have been rechromed at some point in the past, and were well done with new and correct ferrules, DG shafts, and Neumann leather wrap grips. I asked Teevons to do a refreshing on the woods rather than a full restoration, firstly because they weren't in that bad of shape (except maybe the 2 wood) and secondly because, well, budget and all. They still have the original leather grips which are kinda slick but playable with some pregame Lexol.

>

> Anyway, these are just a sweet, sweet set of clubs. I love the wingback irons. There is so much solid steel behind the sweet spot that well struck shots are just heavenly. And I also love the compact shape. It seems that, for me, the smaller the blade the fewer fat shots I hit. The 2 iron is just tiny, playing partners are amazed by it. My neighbor's 13 year old son wanted to try out one of the long irons yesterday so I lent him the 3 iron on a downhill par 3 that was playing 185 but into a two club wind. He smoked it to about 12 feet. He had the biggest grin on his face after he hit it. Btw, this kid also shot 76 on the day.

>

> The woods are also very, very solid. 1-2-3-4 all of the clubs do exactly what you would want them to do. I think its the first set of eye-o-matic Macs I've owned. I think if I could find four more Neumann grips I would replace the old leather ones but barring that they will stay as is.

>

> The putter is a MacGregor Mike Souchak Blue Devil model. It also has a leather grip and also came from Teevons...as did the black Hogan bag that housed them all. These sticks deserve a classic MacGregor bag, though.

>

> Thanks, Teevons. It was worth the wait.

Teevons has some seriously awesome stuff. I usually get to see him every spring when there is a classic golf show in Portland, but I was travelling this year and missed it. I have picked up some great stuff from him in the past.

• Like 1

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Awesome looking set you've got there, Kevin! @teevons did a great job!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I played 18 with some of my persimmon clubs and older blades today. In fact, I played driver-3 wood-5 wood for the first time in nearly thirty years. The last time I played that combination, I had a graphite shafted Taylormade Burner (1989 model or thereabouts), and Maxfli Australian Blade persimmon 3 and 5 woods. I still have them back in the UK, though the persimmons require some serious work on them.

Anyway, today I played a Mac Tourney custom (Eighties, I would guess) with a Brunswick Precision FM6.5, a Honma Extra 3w with a Hagane S-1 steel shaft, and a Koshin 5w with a DGS400 shaft. Koshin was, I think, a boutique Japanese maker. Anyway, it's a lovely club, and I hit it well today.

Irons were some of my favourites, Mac Muirfield 20ths (3-PW) with True Temper 300-S shafts (DGS300's). I put in a Ram SW and a Wilson 8802 putter (a reissue, with a nice leather grip).

The weather wasn't marvellous; we are starting the rainy season here, and it threatened to rain all day but never did, and there was quite a wind blowing, but the wind meant that it was relatively cool and not sticky. So it could have been worse.

Anyway, I was hitting the ball really nicely today, and ended up shooting 39-38 for a 77, which is my best score in over a year...with either modern or classic clubs!

I did struggle with the driver, and I think the FM6.5 shaft was the cause. Even when I middled it, I didn't get the ball more than 20ft in the air, though this did mean I got some nice rollout. I might have to keep this driver exclusively for links golf.

The 3w was great, and even though I persevered with the driver because I wasn't really getting into trouble with it, I could have put it away and relied on the 3w all day with very little loss in distance. Similarly, from the fairway and rough, the 5w performed very well.

Irons were generally good, though I misread the wind on a couple of par threes and missed the green, but never by much. Set up a good number of birdie chances, and converted 3 of them, including one on the hardest hole.

The SW was great, and as it was the only wedge I carried apart from the PW, it had to be versatile. When I was a junior, I used to play 3-SW and think nothing of it, but now golfers seem to be fixated on throwing tons of wedges in the bag, myself included. I really enjoyed just relying on the PW and SW today. Of course, the PW is what I'd call a proper PW because it has 50* of loft, not 44* or whatever it is these days.

Finally, and most importantly, I had a blast. Sure, I was playing well, which always helps make the game more enjoyable, but it was a lot of fun working the ball around the wind today. I think that might have been a big reason why I scored well today. I played within myself, rather than trying (and failing) to overpower the course.

(edited for spelling)

• Like 2

> @scruffynick said:

> Oh man those macgregors 20th are mint!

You should have seen them when I got them about 3 years ago. They have some chatter now, but back then they were almost pristine. They, rather than my VIP reissues, are what made me a Mac fan (though the VIP reissues are incredibly soft).

> @HoldenCornfield said:

> > @scruffynick said:

> > Oh man those macgregors 20th are mint!

>

> Yes, those are beautiful, Catchy. Heck of a score, too congrats!

Thank you. The Mac 20ths are among my favourite iron sets, old or modern. Compact, a wee bit of offset in the middle and longer irons, and beautiful feel.

It was really gratifying to score well using persimmon and classic irons. I was actually 5 over after 4 holes, mainly because of an ugly triple on the par 5 second (poor drive and compounded errors).

> @Jiggered said:

> Great report and pictures NCN, and nice to see the old Ryder head cover sneaking in there!

Yep. My brother still has Ryder III* 1, 3, and 5 woods, and a nearly complete set of Ryder III cast heel-toe weighted irons back in the UK. The 8i is missing because he left it somewhere on the course and it was never turned it. He doesn't play golf now, so I decided to "borrow" one of his headcovers.

*I think Ryder III. Maybe II, but pretty certain it's III.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Jiggered said:

> > Great report and pictures NCN, and nice to see the old Ryder head cover sneaking in there!

>

>

>

>

> ***I think Ryder III. Maybe II, but pretty certain it's III**.

Not surprising that you're not certain, all three are pretty similar, shown in order below:

k9k8vkni1u4x.png

xysc8zst0ehi.png

7wvlht9t5sxz.png

> @Jiggered said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Jiggered said:

> > > Great report and pictures NCN, and nice to see the old Ryder head cover sneaking in there!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ***I think Ryder III. Maybe II, but pretty certain it's III**.

>

> Not surprising that you're not certain, all three are pretty similar, shown in order below:

> k9k8vkni1u4x.png

> xysc8zst0ehi.png

> 7wvlht9t5sxz.png

>

Ryder III it is, then. That cavity looks familiar. He must have got them around 1988~89.

I've never really hit his old Ryders, even though they've been sitting around back home for the last 30 years. I should give them a try next time I'm over, though not having an 8i is a bit of problem. A missing 3i would be fine, perhaps even a benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

Pics from a vintage round with my son today between storm fronts.

68gftfjozer3.jpg

1xr28ud0gkvg.jpg

Clubs: MacGregor 3w, Wilson K28 4W, Wison K28 7&8I, Ram PW, Sandy Andy, and Ping Cushin putter. Wilson Bag, towel, and vintage pull cart complete with anodized aluminum scorecard holder with cig pack holder and capacity for 4 extra balls. Played at this years home course, back 9, very wet. Local rules we in effect to deal with water, debris on the greens, and sand. It was a practice round since the kid doesn't play much in Florida. I would if I lived there, but... We had a good time.

• Like 2