Ping G410 irons,I take it all back!

braincramp52

I went and tested out the G410 irons last week to see how I liked them and left very disappointed. I hit them outside off grass but it was about 50 degrees and damp. I thought they felt harsh compared to my G25's and found no reason to order them. Thought I would give them another shot today inside with better balls on flightscope and I am now a believer. They felt like a completely different iron! Solid feel and I picked up about a club in distance. Very good looking at address and as forgiving as they come. I compared them against the Callaway Apex and I500's. The Apex numbers were about the same but really didn't feel that much better if any. Needless to say I will be ordering a set next week.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I realize I could be completely off about this but am I the only who thinks the G400 is a better looking club than the 410? I looked at both side by side once at a store and felt that it was the 410 that was last year's model.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

You might be! - Seriously-

I did like the copper and the G400 badge, but the G410 with the new finish and with less offset looks so much better at address. I tried not to like them , but ended up trading in my G400 set. I am happy to report it was the right decision for me. They look great and play great. I also now play about a club longer with the G410 irons. I am now anxiously awaiting the release of the G410 LST driver! Very happy with the G410 family. Now if we can get some better weather and more rounds of golf in!!!

• Like 1

> @gsbecker said:

> You might be! - Seriously-

> I did like the copper and the G400 badge, but the G410 with the new finish and with less offset looks so much better at address. I tried not to like them , but ended up trading in my G400 set. I am happy to report it was the right decision for me. They look great and play great. I also now play about a club longer with the G410 irons. I am now anxiously awaiting the release of the G410 LST driver! Very happy with the G410 family. Now if we can get some better weather and more rounds of golf in!!!

Well, I'm not talking about performance at all. I did hit the G410s and I do concede that performance-wise, they edge out the G400s by a bit. I don't know, I guess the G400 circular weight, to me, seemed a more futuristic design that the hollow body screw on the side. Anyway, not knocking the G410 in any way. It was just something I noticed myself.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I haven't hit the G410s, which is the most important factor. I did see them for the first time this week and the definitely look better. I don't mind the offset of the G25s and quite frankly think the reduction isn't huge (the G410s still have more than most clubs. It's not like the offset has been reduced to a players CB level), so I'm not sure if it's the color/finish. But the definitely look sharper - almost seem like a different class of clubs. I'm still holding out for now but we'll see...

> @lawsonman said:

> I went and tested out the G410 irons last week to see how I liked them and left very disappointed. I hit them outside off grass but it was about 50 degrees and damp. I thought they felt harsh compared to my G25's and found no reason to order them. Thought I would give them another shot today inside with better balls on flightscope and I am now a believer. They felt like a completely different iron! Solid feel and I picked up about a club in distance. Very good looking at address and as forgiving as they come. I compared them against the Callaway Apex and I500's. The Apex numbers were about the same but really didn't feel that much better if any. Needless to say I will be ordering a set next week.

When the weather warms up you’ll see many more believers! I tested inside and meh. Good numbers with okay feel. I bought them because I know Ping takes care of us G-men. Outside, 80*. Wow! Soft/solid, fly high, stick on greens with little issues. Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

My set is on the way! I had the g400’s and liked then but to me they just had a touch too much offset. So I got myself a set of i500’s. Liked them in testing sessions but on course in the real world, they didn’t feel as good and were just not as forgiving as I wanted them to be. They looked beautiful in the bag but me and my 10 handicap just needed a little more help. So on to the testing of the g410’s. Looked great and def less offset that the 400’s and to me sounded/felt better than the i500’s. Hope they get here soon!!!

There was a Ping demo day at my club today and got the chance to hit the blueprints 7 iron for a good 30 mins. They are so small that when I was coming back to my g410 8 iron, the difference was ridiculous.

Enjoyed the experience, for sure those things are not for me, but on the mat I hit them quite decently. They launch even higher than the g410. They had dynamic gold s300 and my g410 have awt 2.0 reg, so I don’t believe it was the shaft. It was into the wind though 25/30 km/h.

On pured/good centred strikes they both feel solid, on poor strikes the 410 are much springier, but that was expected. But I am very happy with the feel of the 410 on good ones. Cannot believe that some YT reviewers preferred the 400 feel.

> @IamMarkMac said:

> I realize I could be completely off about this but am I the only who thinks the G400 is a better looking club than the 410? I looked at both side by side once at a store and felt that it was the 410 that was last year's model.

I had the 400's and they were a very nice iron. I liked the look of them also but I didn't care for the cavity badging. The 410's just look so much sleeker for a iron that forgiving.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

> @agolf1 said:

> I haven't hit the G410s, which is the most important factor. I did see them for the first time this week and the definitely look better. I don't mind the offset of the G25s and quite frankly think the reduction isn't huge (the G410s still have more than most clubs. It's not like the offset has been reduced to a players CB level), so I'm not sure if it's the color/finish. But the definitely look sharper - almost seem like a different class of clubs. I'm still holding out for now but we'll see...

>

>

I see you're playing the G25's which are what I was playing. In the end I gained between a club and a club and a half distance over my 25's. Plus my dispersion was so much better with the 410's. I will say that getting fitted is the ONLY way to go. I've always played AWT 2.0 regular shafts in my G's and G400's. After a fitting the KBS tour in stiff flex worked the best for me. I would have never guessed that shaft was the best for my old swing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

> @lawsonman said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > I realize I could be completely off about this but am I the only who thinks the G400 is a better looking club than the 410? I looked at both side by side once at a store and felt that it was the 410 that was last year's model.

>

> I had the 400's and they were a very nice iron. I liked the look of them also but I didn't care for the cavity badging. The 410's just look so much sleeker for a iron that forgiving.

I guess beauty is really just in the eye of the beholder as I rather liked the badging on the 400. I do agree though that the black/red colorway of the 410 is mouth watering. I was debating between getting i500 or G410 when my Hot Metal Pros came to life so looks like my first Ping iron set will wait at least another year.

Wait a minute. You hit them outside and didn't like them, then fell in love after hitting them inside off a mat??

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

> @mantan said:

> Wait a minute. You hit them outside and didn't like them, then fell in love after hitting them inside off a mat??

>

Yup, cold,damp, and range ball's.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

> @lawsonman said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > I haven't hit the G410s, which is the most important factor. I did see them for the first time this week and the definitely look better. I don't mind the offset of the G25s and quite frankly think the reduction isn't huge (the G410s still have more than most clubs. It's not like the offset has been reduced to a players CB level), so I'm not sure if it's the color/finish. But the definitely look sharper - almost seem like a different class of clubs. I'm still holding out for now but we'll see...

> >

> >

>

> I see you're playing the G25's which are what I was playing. In the end I gained between a club and a club and a half distance over my 25's. Plus my dispersion was so much better with the 410's. I will say that getting fitted is the ONLY way to go. I've always played AWT 2.0 regular shafts in my G's and G400's. After a fitting the KBS tour in stiff flex worked the best for me. I would have never guessed that shaft was the best for my old swing.

Yeah, I'm really interested to try the G410s. Unfortunately, I can only hit them off a mat where I am at, so I am trying to find a demo/rental set to play with somewhere else (I much prefer to play with a set for a few rounds before deciding). But I am quite intrigued by the number of people that played the G25s for years, tried the G/G400, and now have decided to move on to the G410s. I played the G400s a bit and don't think there was much difference. Maybe the short irons (lofts were basically the same) flew a tad farther but I couldn't really tell. For me, the big thing would be if the G410s are a noticeable improvement on off-centre strikes, which they seem to be.

With regards to the shafts, I'm not sure. I've usually between R and S or just into the low-end of S based on swing speed, but I have usually preferred the softer shafts in irons. I've never actually tested the irons on a monitor. Mainly I just go by feel and whether the ball flight looks good when I look up. For the G25s, the CFS R seemed to work fine for me (which is pretty weak/soft for an R). I'm interested to try the DG 105 (R300s). I also felt like the AWT 2.0s in the G400s I hit were fine (I'm really not too sensitive as long as the weight is 95-100 grams).

It is good that you found a combo, even if unconventional, that works great though. If people started doing blind tests, I think many people would be surprised as to what works best.

• Like 1

@agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

• Like 1

> @Tommyj said:

> @agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

How can you talk if you didn’t even touch the 410? You based your theory on two different clubs and tell him stick on your clubs?

Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

> @Tommyj said:

> @agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

Re the offset, I think loft for loft some of the differences are about 15-20 pct less offset in the G410s vs G25s. So as you say, the G410s still have quite a bit on an absolute basis. I have some of my G25s bent strong which adds a bit more too. If I get the G410s, I will probably get the PowerSpec lofts to get some of the offset added back. I am just used to it at this point.

I am also kind of indifferent to the clubs feel/sound. If something new is noticably better (how the shots perform) I will probably play it even if the feel/sound is worse. I didn't think the G400s we're much different vs the G25s in terms of how the ball flew (distance loft for loft or straightness on off centre hits). Probably the G25s felt a bit softer but it wasn't a huge issue for me.

But will see what I think about the G410s if I can play them for a couple of rounds.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> > @Tommyj said:

> > @agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

>

> How can you talk if you didn’t even touch the 410? You based your theory on two different clubs and tell him stick on your clubs?

> Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

>

>

I have hit the G410, hit it in the sim the week it arrived in the store - looks nice, feels OK, still lots of offset. No reason to get snotty just because you like to jump on the bandwagon every time a new generation of G iron comes out. I'm not criticising anybody who wants to upgrade to the newest technology but lets be honest, since the G25 we've gotten longer shafts in the long irons, progressively stronger lofts, flex/cup face, a new less durable finish and a ferrule - so everyone is hitting it longer, has anyone lowered their hcp as a result?

> @Tommyj said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > @Tommyj said:

> > > @agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

> >

> > How can you talk if you didn’t even touch the 410? You based your theory on two different clubs and tell him stick on your clubs?

> > Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

> >

> >

>

> I have hit the G410, hit it in the sim the week it arrived in the store - looks nice, feels OK, still lots of offset. No reason to get snotty just because you like to jump on the bandwagon every time a new generation of G iron comes out. I'm not criticising anybody who wants to upgrade to the newest technology but lets be honest, since the G25 we've gotten longer shafts in the long irons, progressively stronger lofts, flex/cup face, a new less durable finish and a ferrule - so everyone is hitting it longer, has anyone lowered their handicap as a result ?

Yes, I have.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

> @lawsonman said:

> > @Tommyj said:

> > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > > @Tommyj said:

> > > > @agolf1 stick with your G25s, I think the feel and sound is significantly better than any of the latest G series. And regarding all the talk about "reduced" offset, I'll admit that Ping has done a better job of making it less obvious, but the G410 5-iron offset is 0.24" compared with 0.26" on the G25 - so the difference is hardly worth mentioning. And in terms of performance, I hit my G25 against the G400 on the range last year. Hitting off grass to a target green I gained no more than 5 yards with the G400, dispersion and trajectory were very similar. Also, you know your G25's finish is still going to look good 10 years from now.

> > >

> > > How can you talk if you didn’t even touch the 410? You based your theory on two different clubs and tell him stick on your clubs?

> > > Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I have hit the G410, hit it in the sim the week it arrived in the store - looks nice, feels OK, still lots of offset. No reason to get snotty just because you like to jump on the bandwagon every time a new generation of G iron comes out. I'm not criticising anybody who wants to upgrade to the newest technology but lets be honest, since the G25 we've gotten longer shafts in the long irons, progressively stronger lofts, flex/cup face, a new less durable finish and a ferrule - so everyone is hitting it longer, has anyone lowered their handicap as a result ?

>

> Yes, I have.

>

Me too, but this is not the point.

I have been playing the 25 for a couple of months, before getting the 400 and personally I didn’t get along. They felt heavier.

Got the 400 and loved them, but they looked big, together with SFT driver and 3w and 400 set wedges. A bug called doubt started playing with my brain and decided to get a set that suits my game, improved in the meantime, better.

G410 plus, 410 3w, 410 3 hybrid, the irons and glide stealth 2.0 wedges.

Anyhow I don’t feel like telling everyone that those are good or bad for them, neither now after 20 round or so and some range sessions. And foremost I can’t stand people that write and does not provide anything to the conversation.

And for the records, people with new shiny things look happier than ‘I still need to find something that throws my mid 90s iron out of the bag’ ??

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

> I can’t stand people that write and does not provide anything to the conversation.

>

You seem to have a difficult time accepting comments or opinions that do not support your point of view. The definition of useless is a guy who just broke 100 last year posting his first impressions of the Blueprint irons.

I've been playing i200s since they came out and dont plan on changing anytime soon, but I'm really impressed with what they've done the G410s. The entire profile is so much cleaner looking than past iterations. The less offset and seemingly more compact blade length while still being more forgiving than previous generations is impressive. I hit my buddy's set and they felt pretty good for a thin faced design.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> I've been playing i200s since they came out and dont plan on changing anytime soon, but I'm really impressed with what they've done the G410s. The entire profile is so much cleaner looking than past iterations. The less offset and seemingly more compact blade length while still being more forgiving than previous generations is impressive. I hit my buddy's set and they felt pretty good for a thin faced design.

There does seem to be something visual (illusion) about the G410s that make them look better. I'm not sure what it is because the offset is still quite a bit more than say the i210s (especially in the shorter clubs) and the blade length is only like 3% shorter. I could still tell there's quite a bit of offset in the G410 5/6 iron when I threw a ball down and looked closely. But just picking up the club and casually holding it down at address position they look great.

I also don't mind the G25/G30 finish and think it is probably more durable long-term (may not apply for some). But the G410 finish color just look much sharper and not "industrial shovel" like...

• Like 1

> @Tommyj said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

>

> > Probably it is the right thing, but I found your recommendation totally useless

> > I can’t stand people that write and does not provide anything to the conversation.

> >

> You seem to have a difficult time accepting comments or opinions that do not support your point of view. The definition of useless is a guy who just broke 100 last year posting his first impressions of the Blueprint irons.

I have also broke 90 last year, but again another story.

I do like different opinions when supported. I don't like silly unsupported comments.

I doing know how people can’t see the offset difference between the G410 and older model G series irons. Playing Ping irons most of my awesome golf career. When I look down at the G410 now. The offset is less for sure compared to the older model G series. And yes if you compare it to the I series irons. Of course you will notice more offset from the G410. Just like if you put the I series with the I500 or blueprint. The I210 will have more offset then those.

• 2 weeks later...

So far very happy with my set, (See below). Only issue I'm having is with the 5,6 iron they seem very long in length. Anyone having the same issue?

• Like 1

Ping G430 10* Tensei orange

Callaway Paradym 16.5 Hzrdus

Ping G430 19*&22* Evnflow black

Srixon ZX5 MKii 5-GW DG

Vokey SM9 54*&58*

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Vice Pro

> @JMH1220 said:

> Gawd I hate the modern standard length of shaft in irons. If I by chance I happen to order these can I order the old standard length and they would get the SW correct? And what color dot do I get now on a shorter shaft? I’ve had three sets of Ping and they were all blue dot. Has the color scheme changed?

Ping will swing weight them whatever you want unless you go radical. The 410's are 1/4" longer than the G25's were but if you want to go 1/2" there should be no problem. Club will play flatter lie the shorter you go.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge