Tip Help : PX 4.5 graphite iron shafts

Porterhouse27 ·  
Porterhouse27Porterhouse27 Members  173WRX Points: 64Posts: 173 Fairways

Bought some new iron shafts for my life but can’t find tipping instructions. They’re “new” Project X (3-PW) 4.5 flex graphite iron shafts , circa 2014. Just wondering if I should start with 0.5” on the 4i shaft and work my way down 1/2” at a time?

Posted:

Comments

• Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10608WRX Points: 1,636Posts: 10,608 Titanium Tees

On -, @Porterhouse27 said:

Bought some new iron shafts for my life but can’t find tipping instructions. They’re “new” Project X (3-PW) 4.5 flex graphite iron shafts , circa 2014. Just wondering if I should start with 0.5” on the 4i shaft and work my way down 1/2” at a time?

My rusty memory say they are TAPER tips, and if Parallels, Discrete lengths and butt cut only, so tell me, are they all 41.00" like a normal parallel tip shaft?

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Porterhouse27Porterhouse27 Members  173WRX Points: 64Posts: 173 Fairways

That’s what has me stumped too! The 3i shaft is 41” but they descend down incrementally all the way to about 37 1/2” on the wedge shaft ....

Posted:
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10608WRX Points: 1,636Posts: 10,608 Titanium Tees

That’s what has me stumped too! The 3i shaft is 41” but they descend down incrementally all the way to about 37 1/2” on the wedge shaft ....

Then its butt cut only, thats how PX shafts is delivered, but if you have a caliper, try to measure how long the TIP section is, thats where the difference is (0.5" between shafts) just to make sure, but this sounds right, but that 41 is a #1 iron shaft, not a #3 iron shaft, so its sound slike #1-#8, not 3-PW, so if you install them as 3PW they will be soft stepped 2x....if thats ok, move on, or simply tip them more if you feel like.

PS there should be some labels on the butt telling what # that shaft belongs to

Posted:

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

Yep - the labels all list 3 thru PW
    Why would they be an inch off? Should I just tip them all 1” to make up for the SS 2x and call it good?

Posted:

Yep - the labels all list 3 thru PW
    Why would they be an inch off? Should I just tip them all 1” to make up for the SS 2x and call it good?

Just found my PFC lists for 2014....say .355 Tapers
    What hosel specs? .355 or .370 or combo?
    Be aware of that PX IRONS in graphite has the same flex as STEEL, so they are not softer because they are graphite, so you are the closest to judge the need for flex.

you can build 1 club (no tip trim), and simply cut off the grip cap so you can push the grip all the way down to play lenght, and leave about 1 inch outside and over the grip. Then let her try that club and judge feel of flex so you dont mess it up by going to strong.

Posted:

They are all .370 (.367) and appear to all be parallels

Thanks for all your help / advice! I hate to screw these up, considering she’s trying to get out of the steel shafts

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.