You Should Be On Tour!

BuzzCat

> @kc_hacker said:

> > @tenny352 said:

> I'm not sure what this guy thinks a low handicapper is supposed to be. I think in his mind, he didn't see me hit a shot he didn't think he couldn't hit. Which might be true - I just happened to do it 50 more times that day than he did.

This is real crux of it all isn't it? It's not the superior quality of the shots, but the consistency.

I had it once at TPC Sawgrass when playing with my dad, sort of. I had just gone through a series of really great lessons that absolutely resonated with me. My swing speed picked up about 7-8 mph across the board, my ball flight was a pure draw all day long, crispest contact I've ever made. In short, I was PUMPED for this round and was hoping I was going to shoot somewhere in the mid-high 70s (as being around a 10 [pre-lessons] on a tough golf course I've never set foot on was a bit lofty but doable). My range game was freaking pure. I had the perfect line of straight divot. A couple people stopped to watch me hit balls as each one started barely right of the target and fell just left of it after its Apex. I was feeling good. Even the caddy had commented that he saw me hitting it pretty well on the range.

Stand up on one, heel slice driver almost in the water. Fatted my next shot off an awkward lie. Bladed the bunker shot and hit an atrocious chip back. 2 putted. Double. No worries, it happens, it's nerves, let's get it out of the way. Let's just say there was no getting it out of the way. If I shot 110 I cheated. It was like everything that could go wrong did. I broke my sunglasses before we teed off (they fell out of shirt when I stood up and cracked on the cart path), my 9i broke on 16 at the hosel, which was the exact club I needed on 17 so I had to use my dads and ultimately hit it fat into the water.

Ah well, I went to the beach the next day and touched a horseshoe crab so I forgot all about it. Best vacation ever.

• Like 2

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I find this is a two sided thing. There are people that have never played with a solid low single digit so when they hear of someone shooting 69-70 on a 6500 yd muni with a course rating of 70.1 they call BS and accuse you of lying. Then there is the guy that finally plays with a good player and see it in person when they drop a sub par round on them and it blows their mind.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

No, never happened.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

> >

> > I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

> >

> > Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask _"what are you...about a 5 handicap?"_

> >

> > Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

> >

> > Weird, I guess.

> >

> >

> >

> > RH

>

> So if someone comes up to you while you’re under par and asks if you’re a 5 handicap do you then have to explain to them what it means to be a + ?

Don't waste your time, their mental capacity is overloaded from Facebook. Just smile and nod.

Everyone who is like a 3-4 index or less has probably heard it a few times, usually by well meaning beginners

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A few times I’ve gotten the “where did you play in college” question. Then I process to snap hook my opening tee shot or fat a wedge. My average drive is about 260 and on downhill downwind I can get it out there around 300. And I’m a 10 so that should tell you the caliber of player I am and how shocked I am when someone thinks I played in college.

Driver -  Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 9 degree with GD UB 6S

3 Wood- Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S

5 Wood - Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
Hybrid - Cobra F9 22 degree Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
7 - PW - Srixon Z745
Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
Putter - LAB Golf mezz max broomstick, LAB Golf DF 2.1 armlock, LAB golf 2.1 standard length 

> @"Big A HG" said:

> I used to get the "did you play in college" a lot, but never the "you should be on tour". I usually play to a low-mid single digit handicap and end up playing with a lot of strangers on public courses when I get paired up.

I had this happen many years ago, I had bought a nice stand bag with my alma mater's name and colors on it. One guy asks me, "Oh did you play for them?" Heck no, those guys are are all +5 or whatever. I was probably a 7 or so at the time.

Agree with the earlier comment that the average golfer just doesn't understand how good the pros and even college guys are.

So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

> @RSinSG said:

> No one has suggested I was pro or even college caliber, but as I play in a couple of leagues that have a lot of older guys they all think I'm "the big hitter." I've stopped trying to set them straight, but my average drive is 250-260 with an occasional 300 yard mistake. When I hit one in the 275+ range literally all of them "know" it was at least 300. Like others have suggested, if you have never seen a pro play in person you can easily be impressed by mediocrity.

300 Yard Mistake would be a great screen name. I've hit three in my golfing life, which is miles past my average drive, and I can tell you every detail about them.

wore white pants yesterday -- was asked in quik chek if i was a golf pro.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I usually hear that after the opening tee shot, but by the time we finish out the hole they understand why I am not on tour.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Playing a scramble with 3 strangers.

I hit the first tee shot, and crushed a drive somewhere around 300.

"we got our ringer!" - "what tour are you on?"

Guys, I'm not as good as my best shot and I'm not as bad as my worst shot.

"Sandbagger!" - lots of laughter.

My second shot was a screaming bladed wedge that one hopped the green and into a pond.

"Oh...."

We had a fun middle of the pack round, everyone had a few good shots.

I won my companies super ball tournament four years in a row. To put this in perspective, there is only 5 other "captains" that have a handicap lower than 7, so it's not a big deal. We normally have 18-20 teams playing and 60-65 people who only play once a year. I am asked every year I play(this year we did a no scoring and only par 3 closest to the pins due to complaints of four wins in a row and length of time a full round takes) why am I not on tour. Last year I was still a scratch and the three previous I was a +2.4 to a +1.8 during tournament time. I explained it like this. "We're playing the course from 6000 yards, I get to hit driver and chip or wedge to every par 4. I hit the par 5's with 8, 7, GW, and 6 iron. I hit SW, SW, PW, 9 iron to the par 3's. On most tour setups each hole is almost 100 yards longer than what we are playing." They still never get it. Even at my best in college playing to a +3.2 I was nowhere near PGA tour level, the difference between a college player at +3.2 and a tour player(back then at least) was astronomically wide.

I was asked this past weekend when playing with my buddy(52, and played 7 years on the PGA tour and had 4 Nike wins) what tour we played, because we both had to be tour players. With my buddy I understood, he is relatively long, hitting his driver around 285 and exactly where he wants, vs. me, who bombs it and sprays it a bit and only hit 4 of the 6 greens and only one was close. Anyone who thinks I may be on tour, other than a brewery or distillery tour is mental. We were playing the tips (7400) and joined up with a dad and his son(his son was getting ready to play in their state am and shot 6 over on the last 6 holes we played.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

>

> It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> > @"Carolina Golfer 2" said:

> > So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

> >

> > It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

> And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

Very true, as they say. There's golf and then there's Tournament Golf.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I've heard it on the range... but if they saw me on the actual course they'd know it's smoke & mirrors and that my golf game is like a carnival ride held together by duct tape and bubble gum.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8