2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Started getting back into tournaments last year and played in my first tournament of the year yesterday up here in Ohio (outside of club events) . Just about everything that could go wrong did. They were out of range balls for the later groups, I had never played the course before, there were helicopter seeds completely covering every green, and I had to re- tee after a lost ball about 5 yds into the right rough. Finished with a season worst 83. Winner only finished with 75 showing that it was playing pretty tough but was still frustrating.

Unlike previous bad tournament rounds, I actually feel encouraged to continue to work on my game to be able to compete in tournament golf. Got to the range before work this morning and further determined to tighten up my week spots. I realize that I need to be much more disciplined both on and off the course to get the best out of my game.

• Like 1

> @vietnameeh said:

> I scored terribly today one of the highest scores out of 23 players. I shot an 84. The weird thing was I was not hitting the ball bad, I just hit in bad places and my short game was ok but I missed a lot of short putts (but I hit my spots so I guess I just need to read better)

>

> It’s weird cause it really didn’t feel that terrible, I just didn’t score which is obviously more important

>

> Tomorrow first group out lol

>

> Focus on putting up a good score for day 2

Day 2, it poured all night before and into the morning. It was so bad, I really didn't think they were going let us play while driving up. Got to the course, head pro was contemplating postponing to next weekend (but being a long weekend, most players couldn't make it). He checked the weather and decided postpone tee times for an hour. Which was a great call. All groups were able to finish with no rain.

As for day 2, my ball striking was terrible but I managed around the course ok... 79 (my handicap is loving this). made a few mental explosions (3 putted for triple bogey from 10 ft on 3rd hole, then double crossed myself OB on a par 3).

While its a little depressing, I am starting to learn where I fall apart when I get into my head a little. I want to work more on tightening my game up. My misses seem to be huge when I get a little nervous (I think I get quick or swing harder) and I seem to have a two way miss (Saturday I missed right, Sunday I was missing left), putting I notice that I started adding a "hit" instead of a smooth stroke and I wasn't trusting my feel around the greens with the wedges which ultimately adds up to bad golf period.

More work to do....

One positive I moved up 7 spots lol 14/23. 1st day had 2nd worst score and 2nd day 8th best score.

Winner shot 71-68 (-5). it was definitely out there. I know the guy very well, I predicted he would win lol

I think I may buy Monte's swing videos... that's how emo I am right now lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Attempt number 2 at the Long Island open qualifier tomorrow. weather forecast is substantially better than the previous attempt, although it looks like it might be quite windy.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Attempt number 2 at the Long Island open qualifier tomorrow. weather forecast is substantially better than the previous attempt, although it looks like it might be quite windy.

go get it man - hit em long, straight and less often!!

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I just got back from my qualifier for the FSGA Florida Amateur at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club.

In short, my 74 almost held up for the playoff for one of the last spots, but ended up being just one stroke too many. There was a four-for-two playoff with the 73s.

Even though I didn't make it through qualifying to Jupiter for the Florida Amateur, I was very pleased with how I played for my first real state-level tournament, shooting my all-time tournament-career low.

Playing the practice round was key and I got some great work in, figuring out the right clubs for the par threes and the correct spots to place certain drives. I used my rangefinder's slope feature to get the +/- effects of the elevation changes on my approach shots (and then made sure to turn it off before the tournament started!).

**THE GOOD**

The starter had me up first and I hit a perfect drive right down the center of the fairway. I didn't really have nerves, though my Apple Watch did alert me quite a few times that my heart rate was elevated. For the most part the driver was very reliable all day.

My irons were excellent overall. I was hitting my targets and distance control was spot on.

Starting on #10 meant my second hole was the replica of ANGC's famous Golden Bell (#12). The practice round showed me that a full 9-iron was the perfect club and it was. Though I didn't make my birdie putt, I was happy to escape that hole with a ho-hum par.

71lhg9a2upvh.jpg

id5mikphjh77.jpg

My notes for the replica of ANGC's 13th hole simply said "Go for it!" and I did, hitting a 5W that and settled pin-high just above the left side green on a little downslope. A nifty chip gave me a kick-in birdie to successfully make it through Golden Ocala's "Amen Corner" at -1.

srttybpzvbhk.jpg

On my fourth hole I almost dunked a 7-iron, leaving me with a tap-in birdie.

**THE BAD**

Two three putts and too many testers:

* The first was a missed comebacker from a lipped out birdie putt I got a little aggressive with (riding high off of that birdie on the replica of ANGC's 13th hole)

* The second was the result of a poor first putt that left me 8 more feet up the hill.

* My drive on 18 put me in jail where my only option was to punch out and play for bogey. A mediocre gap wedge and wimpy putt from 30 feet forced me to convert a five-footer for my bogey, a costly one I would find out later.

**AND THE UGLY**

What was just a bogey could have been an epic par if my putter hadn't let me down. My drive was a snap-hook that hit a tree, dropped straight down into the dirt, and left me 225 to the hole with the ball below my feet. Going for the hero shot, I slipped during my swing and half-topped my 5W about 100 yards. With 119 to the flag I nuked a sand wedge past the hole where it sucked back to just 6 feet... only for me to miss the putt on the high side.

--

I've got the bug and will be playing in a local match play qualifier next week at the local muni. Half the field qualifies for matches at TPC Sawgrass' Valley Course (finalists play on the Stadium Course), so I'm hoping to keep this feeling going. My CBD ointment came in, so here's hoping the back holds up!

• Like 1

Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes!!!

So happy to see you challenging yourself. :-)

Well played.

My California amateur qualifier is tomorrow. I have qualified for this event quite a few times. But I am getting older, and fatter, and shorter. I will need to play well tomorrow to hang with the flat bellies. :-)

> @OffTheDole said:

> I just got back from my qualifier for the FSGA Florida Amateur at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club.

>

> In short, my 74 almost held up for the playoff for one of the last spots, but ended up being just one stroke too many. There was a four-for-two playoff with the 73s.

>

> Even though I didn't make it through qualifying to Jupiter for the Florida Amateur, I was very pleased with how I played for my first real state-level tournament, shooting my all-time tournament-career low.

>

> Playing the practice round was key and I got some great work in, figuring out the right clubs for the par threes and the correct spots to place certain drives. I used my rangefinder's slope feature to get the +/- effects of the elevation changes on my approach shots (and then made sure to turn it off before the tournament started!).

>

> **THE GOOD**

> The starter had me up first and I hit a perfect drive right down the center of the fairway. I didn't really have nerves, though my Apple Watch did alert me quite a few times that my heart rate was elevated. For the most part the driver was very reliable all day.

>

> My irons were excellent overall. I was hitting my targets and distance control was spot on.

>

> Starting on #10 meant my second hole was the replica of ANGC's famous Golden Bell (#12). The practice round showed me that a full 9-iron was the perfect club and it was. Though I didn't make my birdie putt, I was happy to escape that hole with a ho-hum par.

>

> 71lhg9a2upvh.jpg

>

> id5mikphjh77.jpg

>

> My notes for the replica of ANGC's 13th hole simply said "Go for it!" and I did, hitting a 5W that and settled pin-high just above the left side green on a little downslope. A nifty chip gave me a kick-in birdie to successfully make it through Golden Ocala's "Amen Corner" at -1.

>

> srttybpzvbhk.jpg

>

> On my fourth hole I almost dunked a 7-iron, leaving me with a tap-in birdie.

>

> **THE BAD**

> Two three putts and too many testers:

> * The first was a missed comebacker from a lipped out birdie putt I got a little aggressive with (riding high off of that birdie on the replica of ANGC's 13th hole)

> * The second was the result of a poor first putt that left me 8 more feet up the hill.

> * My drive on 18 put me in jail where my only option was to punch out and play for bogey. A mediocre gap wedge and wimpy putt from 30 feet forced me to convert a five-footer for my bogey, a costly one I would find out later.

>

> **AND THE UGLY**

> What was just a bogey could have been an epic par if my putter hadn't let me down. My drive was a snap-hook that hit a tree, dropped straight down into the dirt, and left me 225 to the hole with the ball below my feet. Going for the hero shot, I slipped during my swing and half-topped my 5W about 100 yards. With 119 to the flag I nuked a sand wedge past the hole where it sucked back to just 6 feet... only for me to miss the putt on the high side.

> --

>

> I've got the bug and will be playing in a local match play qualifier next week at the local muni. Half the field qualifies for matches at TPC Sawgrass' Valley Course (finalists play on the Stadium Course), so I'm hoping to keep this feeling going. My CBD ointment came in, so here's hoping the back holds up!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

>

> Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes!!!

>

> So happy to see you challenging yourself. :-)

>

> Well played.

>

> My California amateur qualifier is tomorrow. I have qualified for this event quite a few times. But I am getting older, and fatter, and shorter. I will need to play well tomorrow to hang with the flat bellies. :-)

There were quite a few flat bellies out there, but that's the great thing about golf: all that matters is your score. I leaned on some advice I got from some veteran tournament players and a lot of what I saw in this thread. Thanks for starting it!

Good luck out there today!

• Like 1

Played our state senior/mid am yesterday. Format is 3 sites, 36 2 man teams at each site, 2 teams qualify for the finals from each. 18 hole best ball in the morning, 18 alternate shot in the afternoon. Course was ridiculously wet, the rough was terrible, wind 30 mph all day. We managed to make no bogies in the morning best ball and I birdied the last 3 to come in at -4, tied for the lead and 3 shots clear of the next group.

Mental breakdown time. I get terrible luck on the first tee ball in the afternoon and it goes OB, Senior partner has to hit from my tee and we struggle to make 7. Additionally had a rules question come up so we played two balls in and made 10 on the second ball which was thrown out, needless to say I’m heated though. My partner hits a few bad ones that fail to clear hazards off the tee and we make 3 more doubles, he’s almost 70 I don’t fault him for a loose shot here and there. At this point we are both in the dumps and assume we are way out of it, stop grinding for the last 9 holes only to learn we are in a 4 team playoff because of how stupid the course was and how hard alternate shot can be. We didn’t quit, we just relaxed and stopped grinding on things like confirming start lines on putts and picked up the pace to get it over with.

Unfortunately we lost when it got down to two teams, wish we’d focused during the afternoon more instead of thinking it was over. I 270 lipped out a 5 footer to get eliminated, the positive takeaway was I hit a good putt and had zero nerves over that putt or at any point on the course all day, I’m usually nervous on the first tee and it can carry over into the round sometimes.

On the plus side at least another Wrx’r knocked us out and gets the chance to play in the finals, nice work Tom if you happen to read this!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

LI Open qualifying today. It was very windy. Playing the course blind and had a few mishaps. Downwind I couldn't hit a green with a sand wedge. Into it was about a 2-3 club wind and a struggle. I had some good stretches, but two double bogeys on par fives made life difficult for me. Second straight event with no birdies. Not good. 6 other bogeys and I shot a smooth 82. Oh well. On to the next one. Ike qualifier at St Georges G&CC a week on Thursday. Great course that's a lot of fun. Really looking forward to this one.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Had my California State Am qualifier today at Goose Creek.

Results here: https://calam-2019californiaamateurqualifyinggoo.golfgenius.com/pages/4789716672413979147

PHOCK!!! Check out number 15.

Shot-by-shot recap. Have not done one of these in a while. I was playing against many of Southern California's best young amateurs today. Felt good to compete with them.

1) 381 par 4: Drive down middle. 121 to back-right, tucked pin. PW flies to pin and down-wind one-hops just over the green. Chip-in from 15 feet.

1-UNDER

2) 179 par 3: Cut 5h to front-right pin to 4 feet. Make the birdie.

2-UNDER

3) 419 par 4: Drive down middle. Wind right to left and in. Pin tucked left. 146. I pull my 7h a bit in the wind grabs it. I land on the green but skip to the left and down a big slope. Hit a very nice pitch up the hill to 6 feet but miss. Bogey.

1-UNDER

4) 585 par 5. Push my drive a bit rate. In the rough. Hit a low recovery Threewood to 130. Trap a nine iron to a tucked-left pin (with a large fall off to the left) to 20 feet. 2-putt for par.

5) 174 par 3: Hit my worst shot of the day: a chunky six hybrid that I leave short in a greenside bunker. I fail to get up and down. Bogey

EVEN

6) 361 par 4: Tough driving hole. Driver not the play. 3-wood down middle leaves me 122. PW to 18 feet. 2 putts for par.

EVEN

7) 532 par 5. Nice hole with A gamble of a second shot for mid length hitters. Drive down middle, but not long enough to go for it. Lay up to 102, But with a difficult lie with the ball above my feet in the fairway. Sand wedge to 20 feet. Two putts for par.

EVEN

8) 390 par 4: drive into right fairway bunker. 8-iron just over green to super-tough pin on back shelf. Really nice SW chip downhill to tap-in range. Par.

EVEN

9) 194 par 3: 4h that I push just right of green. Tough pitch up a hill and onto a crest to tap-in range for par.

EVEN

10) 400 par 4: 3w to 151. 9i straight downwind to 20 feet. 2 putts for par.

EVEN

11) 184 par 3: 6H 4 feet. Birdie.

1-UNDER

12) 515 par 5: Drive barely into left rough. Tough uphill lie. 2h to front-right of green. 40 yard pitch to 3 feet. BIRDIE.

2-UNDER

At this point I am feeling good. I think that even or 1-over will be in a playoff today. The wind, while significant, is not as bad as the forecast.

13) 425 par 4: Drive down middle. 152 into wind. Front-right pin. Trap 7h to 7 feet, but miss the putt. PAR.

2-UNDER

14) 380 par 4: 3-wood down middle. 7h from 151 to 40 feet. 2-putt for par.

15) 480 par 4: Drive down middle. 187 to front-left pin with wind helping from right. I aim well right of the green and play a trap draw six hybrid. But I overcook it just a bit. It almost hits the flag as it goes by, but it rolls off the green left and down a slope. I knew that I could not miss there. And I did. No nervousness. No quickness. I just slightly pulled the approach from a downhil, hanging lie in the fairway. I now had a very difficult up and down. I knew that I had to make par or bogey. What did I do? I putted it up the slope and didn't quite make it and it rolled back down to my feet. Once again, no nerves. I just left the shot slightly short. I was composed. I took my time. I executed. And I made double bogey. Dammit. Back to:

EVEN PAR

16) 218 par 3: 3-wood misses the green Just left. Tough pitch to a pin just above a ridge. Almost make it. Tap in for par.

17) 588 par 5: Drive into right rough. Have to go under a tree and can't make a full swing. Hit the ball decent but leave myself 165 dead into the wind. Five hybrid 35 feet. I feel like I have to make this. I checked online and scores are low. I put a great role on the ball but it just misses to the right. Now I have to play 18. One of the best finishing holes in all of California if not one of the best I have played in my entire life. So tough, but playable.

EVEN PAR

At this point, I think that a par on 18 will put me in a playoff. It's windy. The greens are fast and a bit on the bumpy side. I can't imagine that 71 will not be in the playoffs. But par on 18 for a short hitter like me, is not an easy task.

18) 466 dogleg right par 4 with water all along the right and front-right of green. I pipe a drive down the middle, but I have 218 to the middle-right pin over water and into a 15 mph wind.

This is it. I'm not sure going for it is the play. I can lay up and take my chances with a wedge. I'm a very good wage player but I figure that if I go at the middle of the green and hit a perfect 3-wood, I can reach and give myself a birdie look. I decide to go for it.

I hit one of the best 3-woods of my life and leave myself 25 feet straight up the hill for birdie. I line it up and let it go. With about 3 feet to go I think I have made it. But it peels off to the right and I just miss. I tap in for my par and a round of 71.

I have never played a qualifier at Goose Creek where even par did not make it in a qualifier. I can't believe how low the scores are. But that's golf. I gave it my best and barely missed. At 51 and a short hitter and playing against mostly college players and some young mid-ams, I am not overly disappointed. I played well, and hit some excellent shots when it counted. Looking forward to my next tournament: the Macbeth at Wilshire CC this weekend.

Thanks for reading. :-)

• Like 2

Curious for anyone who wants to share, in a one day tourney where you have no scoring to look at, how do you adjust your play at all mid round if you think you may be in contention?

Had a small club tourney this past weekend, nothing important but all tourney golf can be a learning experience. Wasnt striking the ball particularly well but got it to 2 under with 6 to play. We were playing the course up at 6050 yds and it only rates at 68.4 122 par 71 so given my play/score and the fact that there were a couple 1s, a 0, and a +2 in the field I made the call that I needed to get to 3 under to give myself a shot.

Based on this took an aggressive line with driver on 13 and put myself into a hazard and made bogey. Went par birdie par to get back to 2 under and on 17 decided to take driver to set myself up for a short approach and birdie shot and wiped one ob and made double. Another driver on 18 and a bad break of hitting the curb of a cart path and bouncing 90 degrees right set up another bogey and even par finish.

Get in and theres a playoff at -1 for the championship. If I know I'm 1 up with 6 or even 2 to play I'm taking iron off those tees all day and making boring pars, you just never know who else is putting what up out there.

Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

> @mneumann said:

> Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

This ^

Your odds are much better if you avoid bogeys than trying to make birdies. Especially if you are forcing the issue. I wouldn’t play safe unless you know you’re a couple ahead. If you don’t know how you stand then play aggressively to conservative targets.

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @swizbeatz said:

> Played our state senior/mid am yesterday. Format is 3 sites, 36 2 man teams at each site, 2 teams qualify for the finals from each. 18 hole best ball in the morning, 18 alternate shot in the afternoon. Course was ridiculously wet, the rough was terrible, wind 30 mph all day. We managed to make no bogies in the morning best ball and I birdied the last 3 to come in at -4, tied for the lead and 3 shots clear of the next group.

>

>

> Mental breakdown time. I get terrible luck on the first tee ball in the afternoon and it goes OB, Senior partner has to hit from my tee and we struggle to make 7. Additionally had a rules question come up so we played two balls in and made 10 on the second ball which was thrown out, needless to say I’m heated though. My partner hits a few bad ones that fail to clear hazards off the tee and we make 3 more doubles, he’s almost 70 I don’t fault him for a loose shot here and there. At this point we are both in the dumps and assume we are way out of it, stop grinding for the last 9 holes only to learn we are in a 4 team playoff because of how stupid the course was and how hard alternate shot can be. We didn’t quit, we just relaxed and stopped grinding on things like confirming start lines on putts and picked up the pace to get it over with.

>

> Unfortunately we lost when it got down to two teams, wish we’d focused during the afternoon more instead of thinking it was over. I 270 lipped out a 5 footer to get eliminated, the positive takeaway was I hit a good putt and had zero nerves over that putt or at any point on the course all day, I’m usually nervous on the first tee and it can carry over into the round sometimes.

>

> On the plus side at least another Wrx’r knocked us out and gets the chance to play in the finals, nice work Tom if you happen to read this!

Ugh. Missed state Am by 1 yesterday. Cold, windy, downpour at times. Sat around for 2 hours after only for someone in the last group knock me out. Pretty depressing week of golf.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @mneumann said:

>

> > Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

>

> This ^

>

> Your odds are much better if you avoid bogeys than trying to make birdies. Especially if you are forcing the issue. I wouldn’t play safe unless you know you’re a couple ahead. If you don’t know how you stand then play aggressively to conservative targets.

i've played enough to know where the likely score/cut WILL be...but i don't play with 'i have to shoot x or better' in mind. i play shot by shot, let the chips fall where they may at the end of the day.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @mneumann said:

> Curious for anyone who wants to share, in a one day tourney where you have no scoring to look at, how do you adjust your play at all mid round if you think you may be in contention?

>

> Had a small club tourney this past weekend, nothing important but all tourney golf can be a learning experience. Wasnt striking the ball particularly well but got it to 2 under with 6 to play. We were playing the course up at 6050 yds and it only rates at 68.4 122 par 71 so given my play/score and the fact that there were a couple 1s, a 0, and a +2 in the field I made the call that I needed to get to 3 under to give myself a shot.

>

> Based on this took an aggressive line with driver on 13 and put myself into a hazard and made bogey. Went par birdie par to get back to 2 under and on 17 decided to take driver to set myself up for a short approach and birdie shot and wiped one ob and made double. Another driver on 18 and a bad break of hitting the curb of a cart path and bouncing 90 degrees right set up another bogey and even par finish.

>

> Get in and theres a playoff at -1 for the championship. If I know I'm 1 up with 6 or even 2 to play I'm taking iron off those tees all day and making boring pars, you just never know who else is putting what up out there.

>

> Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

I was just thinking about something similar yesterday. I have a qualifier coming up and tee off relatively late. Some of the earlier groups will already be finishing up when I start. I was contemplating whether I should look at their scores or not. I'm leaning towards no as I'm afraid to let it get into my head. So I guess I'm leaning the opposite way of you....but it's a qualifier so it's a slightly different animal than trying to win.

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @mneumann said:

> > Curious for anyone who wants to share, in a one day tourney where you have no scoring to look at, how do you adjust your play at all mid round if you think you may be in contention?

> >

> > Had a small club tourney this past weekend, nothing important but all tourney golf can be a learning experience. Wasnt striking the ball particularly well but got it to 2 under with 6 to play. We were playing the course up at 6050 yds and it only rates at 68.4 122 par 71 so given my play/score and the fact that there were a couple 1s, a 0, and a +2 in the field I made the call that I needed to get to 3 under to give myself a shot.

> >

> > Based on this took an aggressive line with driver on 13 and put myself into a hazard and made bogey. Went par birdie par to get back to 2 under and on 17 decided to take driver to set myself up for a short approach and birdie shot and wiped one ob and made double. Another driver on 18 and a bad break of hitting the curb of a cart path and bouncing 90 degrees right set up another bogey and even par finish.

> >

> > Get in and theres a playoff at -1 for the championship. If I know I'm 1 up with 6 or even 2 to play I'm taking iron off those tees all day and making boring pars, you just never know who else is putting what up out there.

> >

> > Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

>

> I was just thinking about something similar yesterday. I have a qualifier coming up and tee off relatively late. Some of the earlier groups will already be finishing up when I start. I was contemplating whether I should look at their scores or not. I'm leaning towards no as I'm afraid to let it get into my head. So I guess I'm leaning the opposite way of you....but it's a qualifier so it's a slightly different animal than trying to win.

This would depend on how well you know yourself in competition. Some players are better off not knowing and some are able to look at the scoreboard (or on their phone for live scores lol) and plan ahead and not let it phase their game plan.

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @mneumann said:

> > > Curious for anyone who wants to share, in a one day tourney where you have no scoring to look at, how do you adjust your play at all mid round if you think you may be in contention?

> > >

> > > Had a small club tourney this past weekend, nothing important but all tourney golf can be a learning experience. Wasnt striking the ball particularly well but got it to 2 under with 6 to play. We were playing the course up at 6050 yds and it only rates at 68.4 122 par 71 so given my play/score and the fact that there were a couple 1s, a 0, and a +2 in the field I made the call that I needed to get to 3 under to give myself a shot.

> > >

> > > Based on this took an aggressive line with driver on 13 and put myself into a hazard and made bogey. Went par birdie par to get back to 2 under and on 17 decided to take driver to set myself up for a short approach and birdie shot and wiped one ob and made double. Another driver on 18 and a bad break of hitting the curb of a cart path and bouncing 90 degrees right set up another bogey and even par finish.

> > >

> > > Get in and theres a playoff at -1 for the championship. If I know I'm 1 up with 6 or even 2 to play I'm taking iron off those tees all day and making boring pars, you just never know who else is putting what up out there.

> > >

> > > Do others try to guess at likely scores and make adjustments or are you just playing your game and letting the chips fall where they may?

> >

> > I was just thinking about something similar yesterday. I have a qualifier coming up and tee off relatively late. Some of the earlier groups will already be finishing up when I start. I was contemplating whether I should look at their scores or not. I'm leaning towards no as I'm afraid to let it get into my head. So I guess I'm leaning the opposite way of you....but it's a qualifier so it's a slightly different animal than trying to win.

>

> This would depend on how well you know yourself in competition. Some players are better off not knowing and some are able to look at the scoreboard (or on their phone for live scores lol) and plan ahead and not let it phase their game plan.

Good point. I'm relatively new to competitve golf after a long layover from high school. So I think for now I'm going to error on the side of not knowing. We'll see how it goes!

> @Ty_Webb said:

> LI Open qualifying today. It was very windy. Playing the course blind and had a few mishaps. Downwind I couldn't hit a green with a sand wedge. Into it was about a 2-3 club wind and a struggle. I had some good stretches, but two double bogeys on par fives made life difficult for me. Second straight event with no birdies. Not good. 6 other bogeys and I shot a smooth 82. Oh well. On to the next one. Ike qualifier at St Georges G&CC a week on Thursday. Great course that's a lot of fun. Really looking forward to this one.

Turned out my smooth 82 was good for T17 and only 2 shots out of qualifying. That means if I'd made 6s on all four par fives, I'd have qualified. As it was I had two 6s and two 7s. One of the 7s was on the 18th hole. Drove it in a lake, then dropped one and hit that over the lake into one on the other side. Dropped another one, on the green and two putts. What a day...

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Can't wait to tee it up!!!

w1rpmydyh5j0.jpg

• Like 2

I like the posts with pictures, I may have to do that on my next one

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> I like the posts with pictures, I may have to do that on my next one

Yeah, I like to take pictures so I can add context and remember the good and bad later.

I am curious whether it's against the rules to to take pictures during a tournament round. I do remember Jordan Spieth taking a photo of a poorly-raked bunker at THE PLAYERS a few years back without being penalized, so I assume it's okay. I couldn't find a ruling on the USGA's site about it.

> @OffTheDole said:

> > @vietnameeh said:

> > I like the posts with pictures, I may have to do that on my next one

> Yeah, I like to take pictures so I can add context and remember the good and bad later.

>

> I am curious whether it's against the rules to to take pictures during a tournament round. I do remember Jordan Spieth taking a photo of a poorly-raked bunker at THE PLAYERS a few years back without being penalized, so I assume it's okay. I couldn't find a ruling on the USGA's site about it.

I think the rule would be pretty relaxed.

When I played spyglass I had to take pictures lol, but so did my playing partners

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Just finished a qualifier for the Jacksonville Area Golf Association's Match Play Championship to be held in two weeks at TPC Sawgrass.

32 of a field of 60 make it to match play and the qualifier was at my home course, Jax Beach Golf Club ([a recently redesigned muni](

"a recently redesigned muni")), so I was very well prepped going in and had a gameplan for every hole.

The course plays surprisingly tough and there's almost always a little wind off the ocean, though the morning wind was actually from the west and then switched back east in the afternoon. The paspalum greens are still new, so they are not receptive to approach shots yet and don't roll all that true. The approaches are bumpy and sticky, so chipping can be an adventure as well.

In the end, I shot +4 which was good enough for T11 and what I guess will be decent seeding in the match play. Lowest score was -1.

_The Good_

My ballstriking was excellent again today. Lots of GIRs with legit birdie chances, of which I converted three.

_The Bad_

Towards the end of the round I blasted two drives way right. I suspect it was a combination of fatigue in the high temps (98-degrees+) and my lower back tiring out.

_The Ugly_

The 5-footers got me again. I probably made about 35 feet of putts total. Luckily my ballstriking was so good I didn't need to make any long ones for my birdies.

I am reluctant to practice putting on the greens at Jax Beach because they're so lumpy; I'll find somewhere to practice because I need to!

Serious question, if I sign up for US Mid-AM qualifier this year and turn in something like 85, are they going to send me the letter and ban me from playing in future qualifiers?? Trying to play as many tournaments as I can but don't want to get black balled. I haven't posted worse than ~85 in a tournament last couple years but I'm def capable of worse.... lol

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

Played at St George's Golf Club on Long Island today in the Met area Ike qualifier. Birdied the first. Nice. Hit a good drive and a good second on the next (par five), to about 40 yards away. Dunched a pitch and then took three putts from the fringe. Parred out the front nine, including a couple of good comeback putts (speed control was a struggle today). Then went bogey, bogey, bogey, double. Lovely. Birdied 16, bogeyed 17 and birdied 18 to finish with 74. 22 and ties make it and I suspect I'm going to be one or two too many, but we shall see.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Cpm881 said:

> Serious question, if I sign up for US Mid-AM qualifier this year and turn in something like 85, are they going to send me the letter and ban me from playing in future qualifiers?? Trying to play as many tournaments as I can but don't want to get black balled. I haven't posted worse than ~85 in a tournament last couple years but I'm def capable of worse.... lol

No worries. Get out there and PLAY!! :-)

I've got my state mid-am on Saturday morning. Played a round for practice today. The theme of my year is that I can't eliminate blow up holes. I'll have 14 good holes, a sloppy couple bogeys, maybe a double but then I post a quad or in today's case a +5 on a par that wrecked my round. It's really frustrating to say the least. I felt like I was cruising to a 77 or 78 when that hole hit.

Good news is my irons were mostly sharp and the putter was doing well.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen