Titleist AVX- is it just me....

dalehead

> @Golfer4Life said:

> I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

> @soregongolfer said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

>

> Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

Thanks for the 411.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @soregongolfer said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

>

> Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

That's interesting, but doesn't tell the whole story IMO. The X balloons for me whereas the AVX is pretty low spin. So despite the ball speed difference, I am seeing more distance from the AVX around 180 BS.

> @BM5D said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

> >

> > Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

>

> That's interesting, but doesn't tell the whole story IMO. The X balloons for me whereas the AVX is pretty low spin. So despite the ball speed difference, I am seeing more distance from the AVX around 180 BS.

There's a high school kid at my club who isn't the world's longest hitter by any means but he hits it plenty long and super, super high with tons of spin off the irons. Plays off a plus handicap so control is crucial for him, he wouldn't use just any ball just because it's a few yards longer.

AVX was hugely better for him than the Pro V1 he'd been playing before. He still hits it high with plenty of spin but it brought the peak down by a couple of yards, eliminating any tendency to balloon and was both longer and easier to control for him.

I believe the vast majority of golfers will find some ball other than AVX works better for then. But for the few percent who need exactly what AVX offers, it's like a magic bullet. Even with 2mph less ball speed ;-)

• Like 1

> @BM5D said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

> >

> > Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

>

> That's interesting, but doesn't tell the whole story IMO. The X balloons for me whereas the AVX is pretty low spin. So despite the ball speed difference, I am seeing more distance from the AVX around 180 BS.

I'm in that 115 MPH SS ballpark and I pound the AVX as well. I pound the Callaway Supersoft also. I don't buy the "soft ball is a slow ball" narrative because even their tests show the difference is basically a yard or two except for the big gap between the Snell and Callaway balls.

• Like 1

> @soregongolfer said:

> > @BM5D said:

> > > @soregongolfer said:

> > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > I use the AVX and it suits me well. My opinion on the AVX vs ProV quandary is that if you have a high swing speed the AVX could be useless. I don't have a high swing speed, and with the AVX I can really launch some deep drives and control my irons much better.

> > >

> > > Per a certain website's ball test, the AVX traveled at 168.61 MPH with a 115 MPH swing. The Pro V1 clocked in at 170.56 and the X at 171.08. That's only a few yards.

> >

> > That's interesting, but doesn't tell the whole story IMO. The X balloons for me whereas the AVX is pretty low spin. So despite the ball speed difference, I am seeing more distance from the AVX around 180 BS.

>

> I'm in that 115 MPH SS ballpark and I pound the AVX as well. I pound the Callaway Supersoft also. I don't buy the "soft ball is a slow ball" narrative because even their tests show the difference is basically a yard or two except for the big gap between the Snell and Callaway balls.

I’m the same...I’m about 118 and I pound the avx and pound the chrome softs!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I primarily play my home course and a few other muni's. I was a HUGE fan of the AVX from last summer until last week. I love the extra distance, the feel, and the right amount of spin for the mentioned courses, but since I've started venturing out to faster surfaces, I have found that the AVX doesn't have enough spin for me. Not enough spin and the lower flight has cost me strokes. I'm going to a higher flying ball with more spin when I play these faster and harder greens. I have a tourney tomorrow and Im either going back to the ProV1 or 1x. I will play the AVX on links courses or in the wind as it does a real good job when I can run the ball up.

I like the AVX where I have greens and that I can put a ball into full speed reverse. Just don't play those kind of greens much so I'm playing Snell mtb x or prov

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

115ss here too and AVX is as long as the Tour BX, but only due to more roll out with shallower descent and a bit less spin. When its wet, the Tour BX is a bit longer (so I assume it carries longer). I find the AVX to be incredibly straight for a urethane ball, but the BX is as straight as it gets for a true "Tour Level" ball. I don't see the huge drop off that the infamous "espionage" test showed.

Into greens the AVX is clearly less spin. I can stop it no problem (especially with softer greens due to rain in NYC of late), but I cannot pull it back and the longer irons (3/4 irons) sometimes roll thru to the back. This isn't usually an issue.

From 50 yards the Tour BX spins more, but doesn't change much.

The balls really begin to separate from 20 yards in. The simple fact is that I can make the Tour BX check and stop dead like a bean bag in this range, where the AVX rolls out at least 10'. When it is wet, this doesn't particularly matter, but on Tour level greens and when it is dry, the BX is a huge asset around the green.

The AVX is a great ball, and is certainly the best ball for me in wet conditions or with soft greens, but when it gets hard or I play a place like Bethpage Black (yes... as an NYC resident I get out there 2-3x a year for under 100 bucks... My avatar is actually a pic of #16 I took last season), I need the Tour BX to score better.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > I fast forwarded through much of Shield's test but by him saying that all 3 balls felt identical off the putter he started losing my attention pretty quickly. I'll grant that the AVX and ProV1 feel very close the V1X is definitely clickier and firmer feeling off the putter.

> >

> > Looking at his results, of course there won't be 20% difference off the driver. There was 20% difference off the 7 iron but from 100 yards, whichever club he was using, the AVX and V1X were virtually identical. I found that interesting.

> >

> > Anywho, Shields' video more or less confirmed what I remembered hearing about the AVX and what I've experienced over the last 8 months or so and the ball just flat out works for me. Lower flight and spin off the driver gives me more carry and roll out and the short irons hit and (mostly) stop. If I "suffer" a slight bit off the 7 iron due to the lower spin, oh well, what're ya gonna do. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

> >

> > Thanks for the videos.

>

> Any honest review I would try to do of golf ball would start with "felt the same off the putter", at least in the vast majority of cases. A few of the super, super soft 2pc balls (Supersoft in particular) make a noticeably quieter sound on long putts but for something like comparing an AVX to a Pro V1 or Callaway or Bridgestone urethane ball, darned if I can hear any difference at all with the putter. Maybe driver, not putter.

>

> Don't know if this is the same video I'm thinking of but in one of them Shiels used a shot tracer to show that the driver trajectory of Pro V1x, Pro V1 and AVX was High, Medium, Low exactly like the pictures in Titleist's marketing literature. That was pretty cool because it was actual (outdoor) ball flight, not simulator numbers.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > I fast forwarded through much of Shield's test but by him saying that all 3 balls felt identical off the putter he started losing my attention pretty quickly. I'll grant that the AVX and ProV1 feel very close the V1X is definitely clickier and firmer feeling off the putter.

> >

> > Looking at his results, of course there won't be 20% difference off the driver. There was 20% difference off the 7 iron but from 100 yards, whichever club he was using, the AVX and V1X were virtually identical. I found that interesting.

> >

> > Anywho, Shields' video more or less confirmed what I remembered hearing about the AVX and what I've experienced over the last 8 months or so and the ball just flat out works for me. Lower flight and spin off the driver gives me more carry and roll out and the short irons hit and (mostly) stop. If I "suffer" a slight bit off the 7 iron due to the lower spin, oh well, what're ya gonna do. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

> >

>

> Any honest review I would try to do of golf ball would start with "felt the same off the putter", at least in the vast majority of cases. A few of the super, super soft 2pc balls (Supersoft in particular) make a noticeably quieter sound on long putts but for something like comparing an AVX to a Pro V1 or Callaway or Bridgestone urethane ball, darned if I can hear any difference at all with the putter. Maybe driver, not putter.

>

> Don't know if this is the same video I'm thinking of but in one of them Shiels used a shot tracer to show that the driver trajectory of Pro V1x, Pro V1 and AVX was High, Medium, Low exactly like the pictures in Titleist's marketing literature. That was pretty cool because it was actual (outdoor) ball flight, not simulator numbers.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> >

> >

> >

>

>

Did putting blind-test (with help from my wife) of AVX, V1 2019 and V1x 2019.

Blind-folded, only based on sound and feel, it was a piece of cake to tell which ball was which ball 10 out of 10 times.

Using #7 White Hot Pro.

Starting a review with “the balls feel the same of the putter” is just a proof of the coming review will be bullxxxx.

BTW, we tried all three balls using putting robot the other day, and AVX and V1 goes exactly the same length when using the same stroke speed for 5 and 10 meters. Pro V1x goes about 10cm shorter on a 5 meter putt and around 15cm on a 10 meter putt. It’s noticeable. This was done by metal insert. On my own WHP-putter it feels even more, I really struggle to get V1x to the hole while AVX and V1 is perfect.

BTW, I’ve been playing AVX for a year, I’m a high spin player. Love everything about it except the driver, you can really feel the softness of the core and you get zero “spring”-effect. After MGS ball test I play around with V1 and V1x. They are outstanding with the driver compared to AVX. Especially with V1x the driver just goes BANG! :-) With SS of 108Mph the difference is about 15 meters in carry. Unfortunately it’s almost the opposite when it comes to my 3-iron. AVX is constantly 10-15 meters longer than V1/V1x.

I’ve been changing between the three balls on every hole for my last 10 rounds. Really struggle to decide between them, they are SO different and have their own strong parts. If AVX was ok with the driver, I would be my ball of choice, but it sucks so bad with the driver that I probably will end up with either V1 or V1x.

> @"North Butte" said:

> In my opinion, any review that is oriented around choosing a golf ball based on how it putts is **** ;-)

Agreed.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

This isn’t a use able ball imo, at least for those with 115 plus swing speed. I don’t think it goes as far off the driver as firmer compression balls for me, and it goes farther on the short irons, so it just shrinks my distance gaps.

The shots out of the rough that are fliers go so absurdly far with this ball i don’t see how serious golfers could game it during tournaments.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Played today in 20-25 mph winds and the AVX played great. It took me a while to adjust as I wasn't expecting the AVX to cut through the wind as well and ended up flying the green on 3 approach shots. I'll definitely use it next time I'm playing in a lot of wind.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

People comparing the V1x to the AVX are on different ends of the spectrum and its not a fair comparison. For the other comments about how the AVX cuts though the wind its about spin plain and simple. If you can cut down the RPMs you are putting on the ball you mind find that the V1x or V1 are better all around options for you. As somebody that was a high spin player take it from me and go to a pro that can fix the issue versus buying a ball that fixes a symptom. Honestly at the price point of this ball why not just buy the 25-39 dollar a dozen Titleist ball ranges that do the same thing but aren't urethane?

• Like 1

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > In my opinion, any review that is oriented around choosing a golf ball based on how it putts is **** ;-)

>

> Agreed.

So then it's fair to suggest that you guys disagree with the prevailing(?) theory of choosing a ball "from the green back to the tee" ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I can't (won't) use any ball that scurries away from me when I chip to a firm green or one that can't stay on the putting surface after a bunker shot. Every Surlyn ball I've ever tried has utterly failed in that regard (and most of them also fail the "stop within 15 feet after a well-struck 7-iron approach test). I also can't/won't use a ball that once in a while spins backwards and off the green when playing a full wedge to a front hole location. Not many balls will do that but a few have.

So yeah, I care at least as much about how a ball reacts when it hits the green as about what it does when I hit it with a driver or about the trajectory on my iron shots. I wouldn't say greenside performance is more important than full swing performance. I'd say they both have to be right or I'll go find another ball that is good both from the tee/fairway and around the green.

But how a ball *sounds* when I hit a putt? C'mon. That's not a serious criterion. That's the kind of thing some guy posts when he buys a dozen of the newest model ball in January when it 20-below outside and all he can do is hit putts on his living room carpet. There is no brand-name ball on the market that doesn't roll on the putting green just as well as any other. And there's no strokes to be saved by finding a Goldilocks ball that sounds not too loud, not too soft when the putter strikes it.

Putting does not differentiate between balls. That is not what Titleist and others mean when they say "fit a ball from the green back to the tee". They mean short game, not putting.

• Like 2

> @MrShield said:

>

> Did putting blind-test (with help from my wife) of AVX, V1 2019 and V1x 2019.

>

> Blind-folded, only based on sound and feel, it was a piece of cake to tell which ball was which ball 10 out of 10 times.

>

> Using #7 White Hot Pro.

>

> Starting a review with “the balls feel the same of the putter” is just a proof of the coming review will be ****.

>

> BTW, we tried all three balls using putting robot the other day, and AVX and V1 goes exactly the same length when using the same stroke speed for 5 and 10 meters. Pro V1x goes about 10cm shorter on a 5 meter putt and around 15cm on a 10 meter putt. It’s noticeable. This was done by metal insert. On my own WHP-putter it feels even more, I really struggle to get V1x to the hole while AVX and V1 is perfect.

>

> BTW, I’ve been playing AVX for a year, I’m a high spin player. Love everything about it except the driver, you can really feel the softness of the core and you get zero “spring”-effect. After **** ball test I play around with V1 and V1x. They are outstanding with the driver compared to AVX. Especially with V1x the driver just goes BANG! :-) With SS of 108Mph the difference is about 15 meters in carry. Unfortunately it’s almost the opposite when it comes to my 3-iron. AVX is constantly 10-15 meters longer than V1/V1x.

>

> I’ve been changing between the three balls on every hole for my last 10 rounds. Really struggle to decide between them, they are SO different and have their own strong parts. If AVX was ok with the driver, I would be my ball of choice, but it sucks so bad with the driver that I probably will end up with either V1 or V1x.

That's very interesting. I think I could tell between the V1X and the other 2 but not between the AVX & V1. Then again, I don't recall doing that particular comparison head-to-head either. But 10 out of 10 ? That's very interesting. Did you discount mishits ? I mean even though it was just a short-ish(?) putt, surely you didn't hit the center of the putter blindfolded every time, no ?

I played a couple of sleeves of the V1 right before I "had" to choose my 4 for 3 deal and found very little difference in distance off of any of my clubs and certainly didn't find one longer off the driver and the other longer off the irons but I suppose that's possible as all swings are different.

Personally I found the AVX exactly as advertised. Slightly more carry (maybe 5-8) off the driver, and a bit more runout, no doubt due to slightly lower spin. I think it also launches slightly lower but I find launch pretty easy to adjust to with tee height.

I get about 3-5 yards extra off the irons. And around the green the AVX definitely doesn't spin as much as either of the other 2. On similar chips I can see the "bite" of the V1's and where that same bite isn't quite there with the AVX.

Anywho, whatever works is the right ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

> @wfrogge1 said:

> People comparing the V1x to the AVX are on different ends of the spectrum and its not a fair comparison. For the other comments about how the AVX cuts though the wind its about spin plain and simple. If you can cut down the RPMs you are putting on the ball you mind find that the V1x or V1 are better all around options for you. As somebody that was a high spin player take it from me and go to a pro that can fix the issue versus buying a ball that fixes a symptom. Honestly at the price point of this ball why not just buy the 25-39 dollar a dozen Titleist ball ranges that do the same thing but aren't urethane?

"Different ends of the spectrum" ??? As I mentioned above I find the balls very similar in performance; pretty much exactly as the manufacturer claims.

But do you put zero aerodynamic difference on dimple pattern ? The dimples are different. Doesn't that affect spin ? Launch ? And therefore things like "ballooning". Here in Florida it is rather windy 7 out of 10 rounds. And 2 of the other 3 are still "breezy". Maybe 1 is calm,,,,,, but we seldom see calm. And I see zero ballooning with this ball. Even wedges into a 2 club wind, while they are certainly affected by the wind do not show that characteristic fo "climbing up" into the wind and "going nowhere"; i.e. "ballooning"

Frankly, I haven't tried any ball that gives me the advantages I see in the AVX. The Chrome Soft that I played for 2.5 years and converted from, was the closest.

To each his own,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> Personally I found the AVX exactly as advertised. Slightly more carry (maybe 5-8) off the driver, and a bit more runout, no doubt due to slightly lower spin. I think it also launches slightly lower but I find launch pretty easy to adjust to with tee height.

>

> I get about 3-5 yards extra off the irons. And around the green the AVX definitely doesn't spin as much as either of the other 2. On similar chips I can see the "bite" of the V1's and where that same bite isn't quite there with the AVX.

That's pretty much my AVX experience. I might say the extra driver distance is slightly moreso but I typically play on really firm fairways where the lower descent and less terminal spin can really pay off.

I can adjust back and forth between AVX and ProV1/ProV1x/whatever around the greens because I don't typically play low spinner type shots. I can't imagine a really good player who does use those shots liking the AVX nearly as well as I do.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > In my opinion, any review that is oriented around choosing a golf ball based on how it putts is **** ;-)

> >

> > Agreed.

>

> So then it's fair to suggest that you guys disagree with the prevailing(?) theory of choosing a ball "from the green back to the tee" ?

Not at all. Listen to Dean Snell describe working with pros. He mentions the various things they test and putting was not mentioned even once. I work backwards from greenside chips all the way to driver. Putting is just a final confirmation that the ball does not feel so awful I could not play it. That only has happened once with the Callaway Tour iZ ball that was so clicky on my Scotty Cameron I could not play it.

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > In my opinion, any review that is oriented around choosing a golf ball based on how it putts is **** ;-)

> > >

> > > Agreed.

> >

> > So then it's fair to suggest that you guys disagree with the prevailing(?) theory of choosing a ball "from the green back to the tee" ?

>

> Not at all. Listen to Dean Snell describe working with pros. He mentions the various things they test and putting was not mentioned even once. I work backwards from greenside chips all the way to driver. Putting is just a final confirmation that the ball does not feel so awful I could not play it. That only has happened once with the Callaway Tour iZ ball that was so clicky on my Scotty Cameron I could not play it.

That's interesting. But I certainly would test putting first, as it's the easiest testing to do and if it doesn't work what's the point of trying all the other facets of the game ?

The 2 balls that stand out to me for a huge fail on the greens were the Nike 20Xi(?) and the Callaway Hex Tour (or some such). Try as I might I could not get the ball to the hole with those 2 balls - so no point in trying them elsewhere.

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > In my opinion, any review that is oriented around choosing a golf ball based on how it putts is **** ;-)

> > > >

> > > > Agreed.

> > >

> > > So then it's fair to suggest that you guys disagree with the prevailing(?) theory of choosing a ball "from the green back to the tee" ?

> >

> > Not at all. Listen to Dean Snell describe working with pros. He mentions the various things they test and putting was not mentioned even once. I work backwards from greenside chips all the way to driver. Putting is just a final confirmation that the ball does not feel so awful I could not play it. That only has happened once with the Callaway Tour iZ ball that was so clicky on my Scotty Cameron I could not play it.

>

> That's interesting. But I certainly would test putting first, as it's the easiest testing to do and if it doesn't work what's the point of trying all the other facets of the game ?

>

> The 2 balls that stand out to me for a huge fail on the greens were the Nike 20Xi(?) and the Callaway Hex Tour (or some such). Try as I might I could not get the ball to the hole with those 2 balls - so no point in trying them elsewhere.

HX Tour and it was awful.

I was initially very impressed with the AVX, but gradually over time it seems to be slipping to the bottom of my ball rotation. It's seems to perform better the further away from the green you are - great off the tee, and stops like any other urethane ball from a well struck long/mid iron, but when you get down to the wedges and short game it starts to fall apart for me - nowhere near the grip I get from a RZN Tour Black or Tour B XS. In fact, on the short game, I think I prefer the Tour Soft - it may not grip instantly, but it is at least consistent.

I've also noticed a similar effect to the "hot spot" from old distance irons - every so often an iron will come off the face with massively reduced spin, and typically carry the green by 20 yards or so. At the courses I play long is typically a world of pain, so this unfortunately rules the AVX out most days, unless the wind is blowing.

I've still got 2 sleeves left so will give them another try at some point, but if the game matters currently I struggle not to reach for a Tour B XS or RZN if I'm honest.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

> I've also noticed a similar effect to the "hot spot" from old distance irons - every so often an iron will come off the face with massively reduced spin, and typically carry the green by 20 yards or so. At the courses I play long is typically a world of pain, so this unfortunately rules the AVX out most days, unless the wind is blowing.

I'm down to maybe a dozen and a half of my stash of AVX then I'm switching back to Pro V1x. The latest Pro V1x model seems to match the extra driver distance I was getting with AVX and even with my puny swing I also noticed those act-like-flyers shots once in a while.

I'd say it happens maybe once every 3-4 rounds during the time I've played AVX (can it really be a year and a half already?). Usually with a 7, 8 or 9 iron when I'm hitting all the way to the back tier of a green. For instance, a well struck 9-iron for me carries about 122-123 yards and stop dead this time of year. But those hot AVX shots look and feel exactly like that except carry maybe 130 then take another hop or two. Just enough extra (call it 8 yards?) to hop over the green and into double bogey territory.

The first dozen or so times it happened I chalked it up to a gust of breeze or maybe me delofting the club a little. But I don't think so. I think the AVX ball along with my modern spring-face irons is just right on the edge of too little spin. That almost never happened with Pro V1x or B330 but it sometimes did happen with Chrome Soft. I will miss the AVX when playing a Par 3 over water into a 10-15mph breeze, man that ball is magic in those situations.

> @bodhi555 said:

> I was initially very impressed with the AVX, but gradually over time it seems to be slipping to the bottom of my ball rotation. It's seems to perform better the further away from the green you are - great off the tee, and stops like any other urethane ball from a well struck long/mid iron, but when you get down to the wedges and short game it starts to fall apart for me - nowhere near the grip I get from a RZN Tour Black or Tour B XS. In fact, on the short game, I think I prefer the Tour Soft - it may not grip instantly, but it is at least consistent.

>

> I've also noticed a similar effect to the "hot spot" from old distance irons - every so often an iron will come off the face with massively reduced spin, and typically carry the green by 20 yards or so. At the courses I play long is typically a world of pain, so this unfortunately rules the AVX out most days, unless the wind is blowing.

>

> I've still got 2 sleeves left so will give them another try at some point, but if the game matters currently I struggle not to reach for a Tour B XS or RZN if I'm honest.

Great take. So you couldn't get used to catching fliers off the fairway either? Haha

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > I've also noticed a similar effect to the "hot spot" from old distance irons - every so often an iron will come off the face with massively reduced spin, and typically carry the green by 20 yards or so. At the courses I play long is typically a world of pain, so this unfortunately rules the AVX out most days, unless the wind is blowing.

>

> I'm down to maybe a dozen and a half of my stash of AVX then I'm switching back to Pro V1x. The latest Pro V1x model seems to match the extra driver distance I was getting with AVX and even with my puny swing I also noticed those act-like-flyers shots once in a while.

>

> I'd say it happens maybe once every 3-4 rounds during the time I've played AVX (can it really be a year and a half already?). Usually with a 7, 8 or 9 iron when I'm hitting all the way to the back tier of a green. For instance, a well struck 9-iron for me carries about 122-123 yards and stop dead this time of year. But those hot AVX shots look and feel exactly like that except carry maybe 130 then take another hop or two. Just enough extra (call it 8 yards?) to hop over the green and into double bogey territory.

>

> The first dozen or so times it happened I chalked it up to a gust of breeze or maybe me delofting the club a little. But I don't think so. I think the AVX ball along with my modern spring-face irons is just right on the edge of too little spin. That almost never happened with Pro V1x or B330 but it sometimes did happen with Chrome Soft. I will miss the AVX when playing a Par 3 over water into a 10-15mph breeze, man that ball is magic in those situations.

Wow, NB. you have always been the ambassador of AVX.

As high spin player and a big fan of MTB Black, I wanna give it a try of AVX. But I am concern with greenside manner as it would roll out too much. Can you compare AVX against MTB Black? I think you had done it before.

> @flushem said:

> Wow, NB. you have always been the ambassador of AVX.

>

> As high spin player and a big fan of MTB Black, I wanna give it a try of AVX. But I am concern with greenside manner as it would roll out too much. Can you compare AVX against MTB Black? I think you had done it before.

I don't play low spinner type short-game shots, my strike isn't consistent enough to count on getting those to grab so I either bump-and-run it or else I pitch it kind of high and let it stop with trajectory. So I can only comment about my rather basic types of shots.

I played a few rounds (half a dozen maybe?) with the MTB Black. To me it seemed "normal" around the greens. Not any more grabby than a Pro V1x/B330/Chrome Soft/TP5 but not any less either. The AVX on the other hand is just a slightly bit hotter when it lands. Not like a Surlyn ball or anything but for just a slight bit less. Sorry not to be able to be more specific.

And BTW I would say it is entirely possible I'll be back to AVX at some point. I had a couple of shots my last few rounds where I used a Pro V1x and I'm pretty sure the wind held it up a little. As much as I have always like Pro V1x in general, being able to totally ignore a 10mph breeze with AVX is pretty sweet!

• Like 1