How many of you actually get fitted for your equipment or do you just buy off the rack?

f123acez

I have a serious addiction with buying too much stuff... im trying to control myself and moving forward do not want to buy a single club until i get properly fitted to buy stuff that specifically works for me and is tuned for me

how many of you are actually fitted for your clubs or are you just like me who buys straight of wrx/ebay/store and just go for it

Getting fitted can be a huge improvement. You dont have to buy the stuff from the fitter and pay top dollar either, so I view it as a win-win. Having equipment that performs the best for you can be a huge confidence boost. Also if you have been playing with irons with the wrong lie you might see a big improvement in your accuracy. Some people can play with anything and adjust their swings to the club, most find it much more enjoyable to have a club adjusted to their swing. Get fit. You wont regret it.

I fit myself once I find something in the store that I like. I already know what type of shafts fit my game and the specs for length/lie/weight.

Having a a gc2 helps since I can see actual numbers on what I am testing. 95% everything works out well. With the exception of the Flash sz I just bought and don't really care for at all.

> @f123acez said:

> I have a serious addiction with buying too much stuff... im trying to control myself and moving forward do not want to buy a single club until i get properly fitted to buy stuff that specifically works for me and is tuned for me

>

> how many of you are actually fitted for your clubs or are you just like me who buys straight of wrx/ebay/store and just go for it

To be honest, the best golf I have played is with equipment that was custom fit. That being said, I was also playing 2-3 times per week. Since then, I have not played as well but I also have not played as much either. Most of my equipment has also been fit by me as well. The last item is that though I have gone through many configurations, the scores have been about the same since my custom set, just not as good and not as often.

> @f123acez said:

> I have a serious addiction with buying too much stuff... im trying to control myself and moving forward do not want to buy a single club until i get properly fitted to buy stuff that specifically works for me and is tuned for me

>

> how many of you are actually fitted for your clubs or are you just like me who buys straight of wrx/ebay/store and just go for it

Yeah man, I feel ya. The other week I was thinking my G400 needed replacing with a G410+ because I suddenly couldn't hit the darn thing (cuz there's a small dent in the underside which I assumed had ruined the entire head). Thankfully, before payday came I watched a couple vids and realized my iron swing had also become my driver swing. Saved myself 700 bucks and am hitting the 400 just fine now...SWING UP!!!

I am so impulsive with golf equipment purchases there's no way I can be bothered with custom fitting. I think because of my "must have it now" mindset, I've developed a bias against custom fitting...I also tend to think it's for lower handicap, experienced golfers who have a pretty decent repeating swing. If the club is in stock and has the shaft flex I want, boom it's coming home and I'll begin getting a feel for it on the range next day.

My luddite tendencies and artistic brain can't be bothered with stats and measured performance levels. Hitting into a screen and having some computer spit a bunch of numbers out is the last thing I want to do. Couldn't tell you my swing speed and won't ever be bothered to have it clocked. The only spin I understand is when the ball lands on the green and spins back somewhat. I'd feel like a complete doofus if I ever did a custom fitting.

> @f123acez said:

>

Rather than get fit for a driver, I’ve purchased dozens of used ones from various websites and classified ads in hopes of getting it right. Pretty sure that’s how you are supposed to do it.

> @f123acez said:

> how many of you are actually fitted for your clubs or are you just like me who buys straight of wrx/ebay/store and just go for it.

I get a formal fitting periodically when I'm making a major equipment change. Also, I hit a lot of clubs at demo days. If it's a slow demo station that day, I usually manage a rough fitting. From the demo day info, I compile a short list of clubs for full fittings.

For irons, it helps to know your **shaft band** - made up of those shafts that usually give you good launch numbers across different iron sets. I tend to do well with the KBS Tour 90 and Tour 105 shafts, the NS Pro 950, and the Ping AWT 2.0, the Recoil 95.F3 (all in R-flex).

_Note:_ if you're getting new clubs - those not owned by someone else - the better golf shops will give a free fitting it you buy the club or club set.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @f123acez said:

> > how many of you are actually fitted for your clubs or are you just like me who buys straight of wrx/ebay/store and just go for it.

>

> I get a formal fitting periodically when I'm making a major equipment change. Also, I hit a lot of clubs at demo days. If it's a slow demo station that day, I usually manage a rough fitting. From the demo day info, I compile a short list of clubs for full fittings.

>

> For irons, it helps to know your **shaft band** - made up of those shafts that usually give you good launch numbers across different iron sets. I tend to do well with the KBS Tour 90 and Tour 105 shafts, the NS Pro 950, and the Ping AWT 2.0, the Recoil 95.F3 (all in R-flex).

>

> _Note:_ if you're getting new clubs - those not owned by someone else - the better golf shops will give a free fitting it you buy the club or club set.

Fitting perhaps is slightly overrated. Don’t stop your life for it.

Over the last 20 years of hoeing golf clubs, and a couple fitting sessions, I've developed a reasonable idea of what fits me, and what doesn't. I use those parameters as a basis for my club acquisitions.

The biggest issue for me is needing irons a couple degrees upright; I have shortish arms for my size, and spec out around Ping Green Dot. Until a couple years ago, it was DGX/KBS Tour X/Super Peening Blue X, but I'm aging down to DGS (and similar) level.

I haven't had interest in getting down to the minutiae of exacting spin rates and descent angles with irons (or even driver, if I'm honest). In part because I appear to be constitutionally incapable of swinging a club indoors as I do on the course, but primarily due to lack of interest. In spite of my nerd tendencies, LOL, I guess "close enough" is good for me. Maybe I'm applying the materiality principle from my accounting-based employment. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I kind of get fit. I go to GG and hit on the monitor. Find the right club and then muck it all up by switching shafts at some point that I think will work better. Only reason I do that is GG won't have the shafts I want to try such as the C Taper Lite

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I got an iron fitting four years ago when getting back into golf. Being well over 6' I cant buy straight off the rack. It was helpful to know what flex and weight best fit me.

Those 2° upright clubs now start left and go further left so I'm about to make the shift to something with a flatter lie angle. Driver was trial and error until I found one that didn't spin back on the fairway. Probably could have saved some hoe-ing money just getting a proper fit, but half the fun of golf for me is walking up to a long rectangular package on the front step.

It has been many, many years since I've had a club in my bag for which I was NOT fitted. I want to play as well as I possibly can, so I practice, I film my swing, I take lessons as needed, I work out and stay fit, and so on. And I buy clubs that I know to a certainty will perform better for me than the club which is being replaced.

This has become more and more important to me as I've aged (nearly 67 now) and reduced swing speed has reduced my ability to "save" a bad swing with my hands. So, in addition to trying to become technically better in how I swing the club, I've gotten more and more intent on having the right club in my hand.

I'll add one other thing: When I do change clubs, I don't spare any expense to get what I need; shaft upgrades and the like don't bother me. Since I don't have to change clubs often, I'm pretty sure that I spend LESS money on clubs that do guys who are constantly experimenting. I can't prove that, but buying a new driver or a new set of irons every four years or so, seems that way.

Years back, I owned a custom golf club business. I was certified as certified club repairer, clubbuilder, and club fitter by several organization. I know what best fits me and I have made adjustments as time went on. I have not kept up to date since I retired and there are many new companies in the business. Everyone can be helped by a proper fitting. There are several ways to be fit:

1. By someone that has no experience and no equipment to measure you by but they will be cheap. Usually operate out of their garage.

2. By someone dangerous meaning they may have some equipment but they have no training nor experience and is pushing what the boss told him to push that week. ala most retail shops.

3. An OEM fitter. You are not going into a Titleist fitting and coming out with Ping clubs. No matter how good the OEM fitter is, he only has what they sell to work with.

4. An independent, certified fitter with the experience, equipment, and product selection to properly fit you. By the way, they are a dying breed. Get them while you they last

5. One of the "new breed" shops that have it all going for themselves. Experience, equipment, and an unequaled selection.

Cost will increase from above #1 to #5 . Thus the question is what can you afford? I am 77, thus more of a casual golfer now (3 rounds a week). I no longer take the game serious. Were I younger and serious about the game, I would chose either #4 or #5 to fit me.

I did not add trial and error as in trying different clubs, which can get expensive if new clubs. I do this myself occasionally. I will buy a 1 to 3 year old driver or a single iron to try but I know the specs I want. If I like a club I might modify it but I have to like it from the get go. Nothing has knocked anything out of my bag (other then putters) in 3 years.

Bottom line is if you are serious about the game, get properly fit.

> @f123acez said:

>

I buy everything sight unseen lol.

I know in irons I need at least +1/2" and 2* flat

Drivers are am 46.25.

I look for deals on heads and I can always re-shaft or soft step or put some of my own shafts in there

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I buy stuff that I think I'll like, generally used. Occasionally new-old-stock of previous year models.

If it works, I keep it. If not, I sell it on at a modest loss.

Over the past quarter-century I've owned 15-20 sets of irons, a similar number of drivers and innumerable wedges and fairway woods. There's nothing I need to know about club specs to suit my game that I don't already know.

Like others have said, I do get fit for all my product but generally not when I buy it. I will look for deals on heads or standard sets and reshaft them to my specs. I was a fitter for a long time and still have a lot of tools at my disposal to adjust accordingly. The only time I go to hit new product is to test out new shafts.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I only do fittings now. I don't like all the guesswork. I have also decided I will only do fittings through Cool Clubs and a specific fitter for them. They have really been able to dial in all my numbers. Biggest improvement I ever saw was with a thorough putter fitting. It dropped my handicap by 4!

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I bend each iron to fit me and I know all my length specs. I typically shaft all my own clubs and build them to the swingweights I want. I don’t need a fitting to know if an iron is doing what I want it to do. Now the driver is another story...

I know the shaft specs that fit me best so I filter through options based on that but I do get on a monitor to get my stats with the driver. So not necessarily a fitting but I think dialing in the launch numbers with a driver is nothing but a benefit in consistency. I can see by the flight of the ball if it’s close or not but I like to know my numbers. I fight spin with the driver so getting it right makes a big difference. At 45 I don’t really have that extra 15 yds in storage anymore so I try to max out what my stock driver swing is getting me.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @autronicdsm said:

> I buy everything sight unseen lol.

I did that for everything except my wedges. The driver hunt was the most hilarious for me back in the mid-00's. I loved the Callaway c4 I used in HS, but it kind of died my senior year while sounding like a baby rattle. I whored up the bay for lightly used Cleveland, TM, Callaway, Nike, and 2 different Cobras before I ended up with the 9* Comp 414 I still use to this day. I've been tempted by the Nike Vapor, but the Comp has treated me very well over the years. The only thing that gives its age away is the Rifle shaft in it, lol. I'm considering buying a 8.5* 414 head to stuff a ProjectX Evenflow Red into for fun.